Author Topic: Orihalcon's selling some F107s on eBay again!  (Read 2832 times)

Offline funkmon

Orihalcon's selling some F107s on eBay again!
« on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 21:36:10 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-F-107-Keyboard-for-4704-Banking-System-Genuine-Unmodified-F107/284236884011

This one's got many days left and it's going for six hundo. I don't remember what I paid for mine, working albeit unrestored with a preinstalled xwhatsit, but it wasn't substantially more than what this bad lad's at with a few days left. He's also got one that we could probably rebuild for $679. And I thought I overpaid!

For the right buyer, this is a great deal. For the wrong buyer, this is outrageous.

Here's why I'm saying it's a great find though:

This is literally the best keyboard ever made. It does not get better than this. This thing has the best build quality money can buy, and arguably the second best, or first best, switch technology. It's got what is functionally a modern full sized layout. These are only ever going to get rarer, and at some point they basically won't ever be available for love or money, and it's just going to be us nerds with em and they won't hit the internet until we die.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Orihalcon's selling some F107s on eBay again!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 19:41:00 »

These are only ever going to get rarer

Anybody would cringe when he gets priced out of the market for something that is highly coveted, but prices will continue to climb. These are far more rare than most IBM beam springs, and much closer to modern "normality" ....

I got in several years ago during the very early days of this race, and still paid half the current price for a specimen that is not nearly this nice.
"We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles." – The bold and brilliant dream which excited the founders of this Nation still awaits its consummation. Ours was the first society openly to define itself in terms of both spirituality and of human liberty. It is that unique self–definition which has given us an exceptional appeal, but it also imposes on us a special obligation: to take on those moral duties which, when assumed, seem invariably to be in our own best interests.
The American dream endures. We must once again have full faith in our country – and in one another. I believe America can be better. We can be even stronger than before. Let our recent mistakes bring a resurgent commitment to the basic principles of our Nation, for we know that if we despise our own government we have no future. We recall in special times when we have stood briefly, but magnificently, united. In those times no prize was beyond our grasp.
But we cannot dwell upon remembered glory. We cannot afford to drift. Our Government must at the same time be both competent and compassionate. Our Nation can be strong abroad only if it is strong at home. And we know that the best way to enhance freedom in other lands is to demonstrate here that our democratic system is worthy of emulation. To be true to ourselves, we must be true to others. We must not behave in foreign places so as to violate our rules and standards here at home, for we know that the trust which our Nation earns is essential to our strength. 
– excerpts from Jimmy Carter inauguration speech 1977