Author Topic: Elevated Keycap Suggestion  (Read 1816 times)

Offline itzzjack

Elevated Keycap Suggestion
« on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 09:48:42 »
Hello, does any1 have a suggestion for elevated keycaps? I use my palm to press keybinds such as ctrl+q , ctrl+w, ctrl+e. Only issue is that the ctrl key is very close to the shift key and I always press on the shift key by accident trying to press my ctrl key when I do gaming. I'm trying to increase the height of the ctrl key cap so my palm could hit the ctrl key more easier.

I have a standard TKL keyboard.

Thanks in advance for any1 with keycap suggestions.

Offline Faceman76

Re: Elevated Keycap Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 10:08:46 »
A macropad instead?

Although, I use OEM/Cherry profile caps on one of my 1800 boards, but swapped out the arrows with SA profile caps, its easier to touch type...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline TK0

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 15:11:04 »
I'm assuming you have OEM keycaps, right? Probably the easiest and cleanest solution would be to put SA keycaps on the keys you want to elevate. If that is no enough, probably also change the profile of the keycaps you want lower to Cherry/DCS or smaller.

Another solution would to put a R1 key on the Control, but that can look janky and not even give you enough height difference.

Offline itzzjack

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 17:01:04 »
thanks for the reply. i will try looking around for a high profile/sa keycap. Not sure how much extra height this would give me.

Offline TK0

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 18:12:43 »
This image should give you an idea. For reference, most mechanical switches have around 2mm of travel distance before the actuation point and around 3.4~4mm before bottom out.

So, even comparing SA to OEM, you would have enough room to bottom out your SA before reaching your OEM at all -- and even more room before activating it. Also, you could go as far as getting a R1 SA control to DSA shift (both of those profiles are easy to find in stock from Signature Plastics -- which means good quality), and, iirc, you can order individual keycaps from them as well (but it is a bit pricey).

Offline TK0

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 May 2021, 16:21:09 »
Just saw this, and remembered this post:
https://youtube.com/shorts/tk6I9KQ5KcU?feature=share