Author Topic: Help me fix a probably fried Topre Realforce R2  (Read 5462 times)

Offline p4g0

Help me fix a probably fried Topre Realforce R2
« on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 06:25:26 »
Hello everyone,

after connecting my beloved Realforce R2 to a faulty USB hub some months ago it completely stopped working (USB not recognized at all).

After inspecting the PCB the only thing I was able to notice was the status of the ICs labeled "14G1" or "1491", it does seems to me that all 3 of them are in pretty bad shape especially in the top-left corner + I could smell a distinctive smell of something burnt (see photo attached).

Is there anything I can try to verify what's the actual problem? I'm not an expert in PCB troubleshooting but I can surely use a multi-meter/soldering iron if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for the help, as you all know this keyboard is pretty expensive so it would be a pity to just have it sitting somewhere taking dust...

EDIT - this is how a clean board looks like: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84348724@N07/49166176898/
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 February 2023, 08:13:39 by p4g0 »

Offline Tactile

Re: Help me fix a probably fried Topre Realforce R2
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 12:43:58 »
U16, labeled on the chip 14G1, is probably a voltage regulator. I'd start there since this would be the first component to see bad voltage coming in. It may have commited suicide in order to protect the other components. Well... so to speak.

REΛLFORCE

Offline sodkere

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 02:11:16 »
To have a burning smell means it has been burned and it is difficult to repair this circuit board.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 16:34:30 »
U16, labeled on the chip 14G1, is probably a voltage regulator. I'd start there since this would be the first component to see bad voltage coming in. It may have commited suicide in order to protect the other components. Well... so to speak.

I think the problem is even sourcing compatible replacement ICs. I couldn't find anything associated with that number with 5 legs. I wonder if asking Topre directly would even help.