geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Dell AT101W (with black ALPS switches)

(1/3) > >>

AvenZerg:
Hey guys after browsing the net about this keyboard i ended up going back to my favourite OG keyboard forum to get some help =)
anyways i had a few questions about the keycaps on this board.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30468[/ATTACH]

- What is the material of the caps? pbt/abs/pom?
- anyone know a place where i could get ALPS keycaps? (more interested in the engraved caps but anything else would be fine too)
- because of the boring yellow/grayish color i want to paint/dye it. any suggestions would be appreciated! (already read about RIT dye but not sure if the powder form works)

thanks alot!

bloodygood:
Do you already own this Dell AT101W pictured above? Because if you don't you could always pick up a black version for roughly $10

This is not a picture of the model I have, just a generic one found online.
Important note: the lettering on the black keys wears off over time, this is a well known problem. My WASD keys look nearly blank. But I do not see shine on any of the keys. So possibly a good material, just a bad lettering job.

hashbaz:
My memories of reading through RIT dye threads are that AT101W caps do not dye well.

I've got a black one I'd be willing to sell, if you're interested.

AvenZerg:
this is just a project for fun.. not really looking to buy another keyboard. just want to get some experience with dyeing keys.. (making them engraved is kinda hard to do yourself)
if this fails i won't lose much ^^ (i doubt i could find a black version for roughly $10, might be mistaken though but do you have a link?)

bloodygood:

--- Quote from: AvenZerg;443376 ---this is just a project for fun.. not really looking to buy another keyboard. just want to get some experience with dyeing keys.. (making them engraved is kinda hard to do yourself)
if this fails i won't lose much ^^ (i doubt i could find a black version for roughly $10, might be mistaken though but do you have a link?)
--- End quote ---
No specific links, I just check ebay/craigslist and from time to time you see them go up really cheap. I got mine from someone on craigslist for $10 and I would say you do get what you pay for. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the keyboard, just that the keycaps won't last as far as the printing, but the black ALPS are rather like a rubber dome in my opinion. They feel like there is no real actuation point to stop before bottoming out (but that might just be me, also I type without bottoming out all the time on my Mx browns.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version