Author Topic: Prototyping New Keyboard Designs (Using Plate Mounting and Direct Wiring)  (Read 142290 times)

Offline TD22057

Just an FYI - the CAD files in my previous posts contain the same stabilizer error that the phantom boards have.  They tried to make a stabilizer mount that would accept Cherry or Costar stabilizers and it causes the Cherry ones to not quite lock in place.  Doesn't seem to be a big problem on my plates but it is a mistake that should be fixed.  Other than that, my CAD files worked perfectly and everything fits well.

I'm in the process of soldering up the matrix and I now know why people like a PCB.  It's not difficult but it takes a lot of time to get all the wires prepped and to make all the connections.  If I ever do this again, I might have to spring for a PCB design since my time is more valuable than the money would be.  I'm going to start a build thread and post pictures there sometime this weekend.

Offline TD22057

I've finished wiring up and testing my keyboard matrix today.  I ended up using the diodes in the switches using a small jumper wire except for a few of them that I modded (dremel+hot melt glue) to have an LED.  Next step is finishing the firmware update (need to add I2C code to hasu's firmware to communicate to the right hand module) and designing and building the case.  Then I get to do it all again since I'm making one keyboard for work and one for home.  Still a ways to go but progress is being made...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Very nice, TD. I can't wait to see the finished version. Thank you for sharing your build log with us. It looks like you are coming along quite nicely, and will soon have this working to your specs. I love to see this type of innovation going on here.

It's like I told my wife the other night... On Geekhack, if there is something we need or want that doesn't exist, or isn't quite perfect, we either make it ourselves, or have it made for us. We simply refuse to accept that we can't have what we want.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Picked up the plate and case from the laser cutters this morning only to discover they'd totally fubared it. Stab and switch holes are off in about 8 places and they've burnt  the **** out of it in several spots too. So unimpressed, waiting on the idiots to get back to me now.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline TD22057

Picked up the plate and case from the laser cutters this morning only to discover they'd totally fubared it. Stab and switch holes are off in about 8 places and they've burnt  the **** out of it in several spots too. So unimpressed, waiting on the idiots to get back to me now.

Wow - that sucks.  Hopefully they will re-run it for you.  How can they screw up the locations when the laser is driven by a CAD file?  Did the plate move during the cutting?

I couldn't resist adding keycaps to my switches to see how it's going to look.  It's amazing how well the color combinations from the DSA retro GB worked on for my build.  Everything is nice and symmetric and looks fantastic.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder

Wow - that sucks.  Hopefully they will re-run it for you.  How can they screw up the locations when the laser is driven by a CAD file?  Did the plate move during the cutting?

I couldn't resist adding keycaps to my switches to see how it's going to look.  It's amazing how well the color combinations from the DSA retro GB worked on for my build.  Everything is nice and symmetric and looks fantastic.

I'm still struggling to figure out how the hell they managed to screw it up, the slots that are misaligned have all moved by a couple of mm in the same direction and the same goes for the switches. Seems to me like they've actually stuffed up the CAD file somehow. Still waiting on a reply to my email, they'd want to run me another one otherwise I'll be speaking with the ACCC as they have clearly not fulfilled the request.

Your ergo looks incredible by the way! Guessing you still need to wire it all up?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline TD22057

Your ergo looks incredible by the way! Guessing you still need to wire it all up?

Mostly done - (see 3 posts up).  The matrix is fully wired.  I need to hook up the teensy, finish the firmware mods I'm making, and build the case.

Offline jeffgran

@TD: Looks great with those caps on there! Cool to see it coming together. What are your plans for the case?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Very nice, TD. I can't wait to see the finished version. Thank you for sharing your build log with us. It looks like you are coming along quite nicely, and will soon have this working to your specs. I love to see this type of innovation going on here.

It's like I told my wife the other night... On Geekhack, if there is something we need or want that doesn't exist, or isn't quite perfect, we either make it ourselves, or have it made for us. We simply refuse to accept that we can't have what we want.

I was there. He said that.

Offline TD22057

@TD: Looks great with those caps on there! Cool to see it coming together. What are your plans for the case?

I have the plate screwed onto 0.5" threaded standoffs so I can screw it onto a base and leave space for the wiring.  I'm going to make a 3/8"-1/2" thick base from baltic birch plywood that's a little bigger than the plates and screw up through it into the standoffs to secure the plate.  The teensy and usb hub PCB's will get mounted in small recessed areas in the plywood.  Then I'm going to make a shell with an integrated hand rest from some nice hardwood - mahogany or walnut probably - that will fit over the top and cover the plywood base plate for each of the three pieces.  I'm thinking about embedding some rare earth magnets and metal disks on the inside of the shell with thin veneer of wood over them on the edges.  That way each of the three pieces can be separate or connected to the others in whatever order I want.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
Laser cutters have come through for me, they apologised profusely and re-cut the plate this afternoon. I'll be spewing if my switches arrive tomorrow, can't get down to pick up the new plate till Monday :S

Offline TD22057

Laser cutters have come through for me, they apologised profusely and re-cut the plate this afternoon. I'll be spewing if my switches arrive tomorrow, can't get down to pick up the new plate till Monday :S

Glad they came through for you.  Do they have any idea what the problem was?  FYI - my plates did have some light burning - especially around the areas where the laser punches through to start the switch holes.  I used a random orbit sander with 150, 180, and 220 grit paper to clean it up and almost all the burn marks were completely gone.   I ended up w/ a sort of "stone washed" type finish.  Up close you can see a random scratch patter but a few feet back and it looks like a nice uniform finish (and it's hidden by the keys anyway).

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder

Glad they came through for you.  Do they have any idea what the problem was?  FYI - my plates did have some light burning - especially around the areas where the laser punches through to start the switch holes.  I used a random orbit sander with 150, 180, and 220 grit paper to clean it up and almost all the burn marks were completely gone.   I ended up w/ a sort of "stone washed" type finish.  Up close you can see a random scratch patter but a few feet back and it looks like a nice uniform finish (and it's hidden by the keys anyway).

I actually remembered them saying they were having some problems with their laser cutter a few weeks ago and on closer inspection it looks like the process may have been re-started on a couple of holes so I'm guessing that was the problem. Cheers for the recommendation on sanding too, they scratched the hell out of the piece as well so I was wondering how to get it cleaned up!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Just sent off for the final quote on my design! Just hoping the cost doesn't blow out too much, got quoted $29 for the plate and base only in 2mm aluminium so I don't think adding the 3mm case layers will add too much. Also wound up changing the plate to 1.5mm for my first custom, didn't want to run into problems so early in the game.

EDIT: Updated attachments to reflect correct space bar stabilizer AND backspace positions, also changed the thickness of the case to allow an extra mm gap between itself and the switches.

Show Image

Show Image

Two questions for you:
1. Do your stabilizer slots allow for only particular types of stabilizers to be used?
2. I wanted to try the 40% case in the OP that JD designed, but I'm not ready to give up that many keys yet, and I absolutely love your layout design.  Would you be offended if there were another case just like yours in the world?  (I know you posted the .dwg files, but I want to ask anyway)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
Just sent off for the final quote on my design! Just hoping the cost doesn't blow out too much, got quoted $29 for the plate and base only in 2mm aluminium so I don't think adding the 3mm case layers will add too much. Also wound up changing the plate to 1.5mm for my first custom, didn't want to run into problems so early in the game.

EDIT: Updated attachments to reflect correct space bar stabilizer AND backspace positions, also changed the thickness of the case to allow an extra mm gap between itself and the switches.

Show Image

Show Image

Two questions for you:
1. Do your stabilizer slots allow for only particular types of stabilizers to be used?
2. I wanted to try the 40% case in the OP that JD designed, but I'm not ready to give up that many keys yet, and I absolutely love your layout design.  Would you be offended if there were another case just like yours in the world?  (I know you posted the .dwg files, but I want to ask anyway)

Yep those stabiliser slots are for Co-Star stabilisers however they are available new from WASD and they're dead cheap.

And no problems if you want to use my design, I'd be pretty chuffed to see another one like mine across the pond! I piggy-backed off Matt3o's design anyway  :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Two questions for you:

Yep those stabiliser slots are for Co-Star stabilisers however they are available new from WASD and they're dead cheap.

And no problems if you want to use my design, I'd be pretty chuffed to see another one like mine across the pond! I piggy-backed off Matt3o's design anyway  :D

Great to know, the slots looked a bit different from Cherry.  Thanks!

And thanks for the approval!  I've sent it out to local shops to hopefully get some quotes.  :)  Here's hoping it all comes together!

EDIT:  Also, a question for jdcarpe.
The 40% on the front page is still intriguing to me, but it's tough to match up the plate design to what an actual layout would be with it.  I took some time and made this layout design which I think matches up.  Can you confirm?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 16:17:08 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
I'd be careful with unstaggered alpha layouts, if you've never used them before they take a bit of getting used to. Main reason I sold my Truly ergonomic, couldn't get used to the unstaggered rows.

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 July 2013, 15:50:49 by neoezekiel »
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Re: Prototyping New Keyboard Designs (Using Plate Mounting and Direct Wiring)
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 12:38:15 »
The 40% on the front page is still intriguing to me, but it's tough to match up the plate design to what an actual layout would be with it.  I took some time and made this layout design which I think matches up.  Can you confirm?

Yes, that would definitely work. I was thinkning of something like this.

but I might like aspects of yours better. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #220 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 12:59:17 »

Yes, that would definitely work. I was thinkning of something like this.

but I might like aspects of yours better. :)

Haha, that just made me realize I forgot a '.' in mine.  I never use that one anyway...   ;D

But good!  Thanks for the confirmation, it's much appreciated.  :)  In addition to what keys would go where I also couldn't visual what sizes the keys would be, but now that I see your "intended" layout it helps a lot.  Thanks again!  Now I just need to find a local machinist who will actually respond to my quote requests....   :rolleyes:

Offline FiskFisk33

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 03:05:07 »
I'd much prefer to have a full-sized backspace key, and settle for no 'delete'.

Something tells me you're not a windows user!

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 05:07:08 »
Sorry distrub
I want ask in here :D what name on the matrix/column ?
whether is wiring or what?

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2013, 05:09:55 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 05:09:53 »
I want ask :D what name on the matrix
Show Image

What switches?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline yasuo

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 05:11:40 »
I want ask :D what name on the matrix
Show Image

What switches?
not,like wiring?

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 05:28:36 »
you want to know the kind of wire to use? I actually used any kind and all worked :) The one in the picture seems at least 1mm

Offline yasuo

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 05:38:32 »
you want to know the kind of wire to use? I actually used any kind and all worked :) The one in the picture seems at least 1mm
Oh thanks matteo :thumb:  apparently a wire :D
what different with your wire and what type of wire from you and lowpoly?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 05:42:43 »
the difference is that mine is insulated, lowpoly's is not. With very tight enclosures I suggest the insulated one, if you have a lot of space, the raw wire is good enough since you don't risk shorts.

Offline boogerlad

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 20:47:56 »
Hi, can someone make a dwg of

What is the maximum thickness of the steel plate?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 21:15:14 »
You can't actually fit 3 keys underneath the enter where you have HOME/END/UP ARROW etc, there's only enough space for 2.75 keys.

Offline boogerlad

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 22:39:20 »
Let's shift the delete, print screen, arrow keys, home, end, and number pad .25 keys to the right then. I wouldn't mind the non uniform gap between the number pad and the rest of the keyboard.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 01:47:35 »
Let's shift the delete, print screen, arrow keys, home, end, and number pad .25 keys to the right then. I wouldn't mind the non uniform gap between the number pad and the rest of the keyboard.

I would suggest to shift the arrows+home/end only. It would so much easier to find the arrow cluster without looking that way.

Offline boogerlad

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 07:44:07 »
The delete and printscreen button are a bit close to the spacebar anyways, as bueller implied. This wasn't a very good image editing job... I hope there are no more incompatibilities.
Did you mean to shift the arrow keys + home/end more than 0.25 keys to the right so that the distance between the arrow keys and delete/printscreen(shifted only 0.25 keys to the right) is larger?
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2013, 07:56:58 by boogerlad »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 08:39:10 »
Hi, can someone make a dwg of
Show Image

What is the maximum thickness of the steel plate?

Hopefully this is what you wanted. That left shift is 2.00 units, btw.

The maximum thickness for the steel plate, as specified by the Cherry spec sheet, should be .060 inches, but the closest commonly available is 16-gauge, or 1/16 (0.0625) inch (1.5 mm), so that is what we normally use.

Also, the attached plate is drawn in mm, which would be handy for your laser cutter to know. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2013, 08:40:53 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

in memoriam

Offline boogerlad

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 08:59:04 »
Wow! That was a very fast response. Thanks so much! Even better than I envisioned!

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #237 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 12:58:04 »
Maybe it would be nice to have a left shift be 1.75x and the right shift be 1.25x. At least then, there are existing shift keys somewhere that work.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 12:59:33 »
What do you guys think of this layout.  Never mind the empty keys toward the right side.  They are just place holders to position the "navigation clusters" where I wanted them.

Melvang

Edit: changed the P/P which was play/pause to Windows key
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:29:42 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:01:04 »
What do you guys think of this layout.  Never mind the empty keys toward the right side.  They are just place holders to position the "navigation clusters" where I wanted them.

Melvang

that spacebar :eek:

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:01:51 »
I guess it was produced at one point and I have read references to it in old posts but can't seem to locate one or even a pic on one.

Edit:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.690 reply number 697 and I quote "I wish I still had my 15 units... but I used it to stir some paint then threw it out LOL."  Posted by IvanIvanovich.  The ensuing conversation get both disappointing and humorous at the same time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:10:25 by Melvang »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:39:08 »
30734-0

crazy layout FTW!!  :-X

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:41:40 »
I like it but I would shift the bottom 2 rows back to the left a touch just so its centered with the other 3 rows.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:46:03 »
Or deal with a 1x left shift and shrink one of the left mods by .25.   That stagger change on the alphas would kill me tho.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:51:22 »
I like it but I would shift the bottom 2 rows back to the left a touch just so its centered with the other 3 rows.

30736-0

Of course I don't guess there are any 2x shift keys... :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:56:00 »

Melvang

Why in the world is the control where delete is. And caps lock where it normally is? You never use control?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 14:00:46 »

Melvang

Why in the world is the control where delete is. And caps lock where it normally is? You never use control?

Not really bout the only time I use control is to open all my bags in WoW (easy to replace that with a macro on my Orbweaver) or Ctrl+Alt+Delete.  Plus with this layout I can keep the look of the 1.5, 1, 1.5 mods setup.  But mostly just to be different.  I type more here on geekhack than anywhere else.  Mostly I am just a PC gamer that sticks with WoW.  And no I don't think that I am getting a competitive edge with my mechanical boards I just love the feel of them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 14:21:30 »
You're crazy. I use control a looooooot. But I also work on my computer most of the time.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #248 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 14:28:27 »
Here is a keyboard layout I would like to have. I trust that someone can do the corresponding plate template for it.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 14:29:18 »
Well I take that back I do you control more than that but the only other thing I really use it for is Ctrl+Enter for website shortcut for .com and the http:// in one keystroke.