Author Topic: [GB] Granite Set ~ Sublimated Full PBT (spacebar included)  (Read 1950822 times)

Offline mougrim

Re: [GB] Granite Set ~ Sublimated Full PBT (spacebar included)
« Reply #1100 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 08:50:33 »
Slightly confused about the charges that my Paypal incurred during this GB. Maybe someone can help clarify for me.

So I placed my original order for $163 (all original pricing).. This can be seen in my PayPal activity, labeled as "Authorization". I later placed another order for about $50. This order generated no "authorization" charge at all.

Yesterday, when the GB ended, I received 2 charges to my paypal: $102 & $40. I assume these are the cost of my 2 orders after the price reduction from the various tiers that were hit.

So I guess my question is regarding that initial $163 "authorization" charge.

I know that in this thread, it was mentioned that you'd pay full price and that SP would "hold" that amount. Then after the GB ended, you'd be charged the corrected amounts. So will I be refunded the $163, now that I've paid $102 & $40? or does an "authorization" not actually deduct from your account?

If anyone could clarify this, I would greatly appreciate it.

This "Authorization" thingy actually transferred money from my debit card I use with paypal - 143 usd at the time. After GB ended I was charged 120 usd - my final price, but, I think, initial "authorization" will be refunded to my card later (3 work days, I suppose).
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline archer

« Reply #1101 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 09:48:18 »
Slightly confused about the charges that my Paypal incurred during this GB. Maybe someone can help clarify for me.

So I placed my original order for $163 (all original pricing).. This can be seen in my PayPal activity, labeled as "Authorization". I later placed another order for about $50. This order generated no "authorization" charge at all.

Yesterday, when the GB ended, I received 2 charges to my paypal: $102 & $40. I assume these are the cost of my 2 orders after the price reduction from the various tiers that were hit.

I know that in this thread, it was mentioned that you'd pay full price and that SP would "hold" that amount. Then after the GB ended, you'd be charged the corrected amounts. So will I be refunded the $163, now that I've paid $102 & $40? or does an "authorization" not actually deduct from your account?

This "Authorization" thingy actually transferred money from my debit card I use with paypal - 143 usd at the time. After GB ended I was charged 120 usd - my final price, but, I think, initial "authorization" will be refunded to my card later (3 work days, I suppose).
From what I can tell, I think the "Authorization" thing transferred money from my account as well (unless I'm totally reading this account activity screen incorrectly).

My PayPal doesn't deduct from any debit/credit card.. so should I expect to see a refund on that "authorization" amount soon? Perhaps I should contact a SP rep directly

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1102 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:10:31 »

From what I can tell, I think the "Authorization" thing transferred money from my account as well (unless I'm totally reading this account activity screen incorrectly).

My PayPal doesn't deduct from any debit/credit card.. so should I expect to see a refund on that "authorization" amount soon? Perhaps I should contact a SP rep directly

I guess so. Although it not SP you should contact, but Paypal. And I think it's still 3 work days.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1103 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:13:32 »
Woow I didn't know there were additional packs I could buy. I only got the base. :(

Guess I'm looking out for extras when they arrive

Thanks for running this. Cool set.

Ya the website is VERY confusing in that regard.  It shows a full keyboard layout and has 'buy now'.  So when you click that button it looks like you are buying the whole layout.  It is VERY misleading...

Offline Excessive

• Signature Plastics
« Reply #1104 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:04:56 »

An authorization does not actually deduct from your account. If there are not enough funds in your paypal account, paypal may charge your bank account to make enough funds. However the money stays in your paypal account until we actually charge you for the items you bought, which does not occur until after the GB ends.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #1105 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:07:07 »
Woow I didn't know there were additional packs I could buy. I only got the base. :(

Guess I'm looking out for extras when they arrive

Thanks for running this. Cool set.

Ya the website is VERY confusing in that regard.  It shows a full keyboard layout and has 'buy now'.  So when you click that button it looks like you are buying the whole layout.  It is VERY misleading...
I agree. I probably would have made the same mistake if I hadn't followed the thread previous to the group buy.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1106 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:11:38 »
I'm looking at the final price list.

If someone would have just bought one more Text Modifier kit.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1107 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:14:25 »

Someone has. Read the last posts ... he ordered via email after the time was up, but it was accepted. It's just not reflected in the graphics :)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1108 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:17:26 »

Someone has. Read the last posts ... he ordered via email after the time was up, but it was accepted. It's just not reflected in the graphics :)

But the payment has already gone through. Will SP be refunding 200 people $1 extra dollar?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1109 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:23:15 »
Hmm, my payment isn't through yet.

But if some people were already charged I guess they won't refund the 1$.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1110 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:31:29 »
Excessive, or SPLady: An updated status of the final order quantities, price tiers, and the plan to make refunds will be very appreciated by the GB's buyers.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #1111 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 12:01:02 »
Same thing happened with Macross.
You can safely ignore them.

I got 8 of 'em.

I placed orders for 17+ kits and only got those ones I posted.

AFAICT you are getting an email confirmations for each order, not each set (at least that happened to me.)

I had four orders but two of them were additional RGB kits and the other was multimedia.

I made one order for seven kits.  I got a email for the numpad, one for the text mods, and one that just took me to the granite page.

However I know they got my whole order because I can see it in my paypal account.

I know they got it too it just seems weird, like they're going through them by hand choosing what to produce.
[ I know this isn't the case but it was my first impression. ]

Also, my payment isn't through yet either, nothing moved ever; not yet.

Offline archer

« Reply #1112 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 12:48:03 »

An authorization does not actually deduct from your account. If there are not enough funds in your paypal account, paypal may charge your bank account to make enough funds. However the money stays in your paypal account until we actually charge you for the items you bought, which does not occur until after the GB ends.
Ahhh.. OK, my paypal updated with more details, so I see what you're referring to.

Thanks for the clarification, as someone who is new to this particular GB format, I really appreciate it.

Offline osxoep

« Reply #1113 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:33:55 »
Well damn.

Look's like I missed this one.
HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #1114 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 14:09:30 »
As for SP taking suggestions -- I'd like to see a detailed invoice either via email or as part of my SP accounts purchase history.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline wuqe

« Reply #1115 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 14:39:33 »
Well damn.

Look's like I missed this one.

My condolences! I'm sure there will be a thriving after-market, if that helps any. Alas, quite the set to get away...

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1116 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 14:45:13 »

Oh, but it did. As I said, first it actually deducted money from my debit card after authorization, and then, after GB was ended, deducted from it a final price.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1117 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 20:10:04 »
Oh, but it did. As I said, first it actually deducted money from my debit card after authorization, and then, after GB was ended, deducted from it a final price.
Charging a credit card has 2 parts: an “authorization” (or “hold”) and a “capture”. The authorization step locks down a particular amount of money from your credit limit, guaranteeing that the merchant can charge it, but does not actually charge you the money (some consumers definitely get confused about this from time to time though). The “capture” step actually finishes the transaction and charges the card. The authorization phase happens basically instantly, while captures are done in daily batches. It’s possible to capture any amount of money up to the authorized amount, or cancel the authorization, at any time for about a month after the authorization was made, though the exact amount of time varies from card to card. After that the authorization expires and the credit limit is restored.

Typically, in a situation like the one we’re dealing with here, SP should authorize the maximum possible charge, and then only capture the relevant amount (i.e. not actually charging you the difference). It sounds like what may have happened [though it’s a bit hard to tell without looking at your statement] is first they authorized the transaction for the full amount, and then later did both authorization and capture for a smaller amount, leaving the original authorization hanging.

If you use a debit card, instead of a credit card, then an authorization actually pulls money from your bank account (not exactly, but that’s how it often looks on statements), and the money sits in limbo until the authorization is either captured, canceled, or expired. This is one of the down-sides of debit cards. On the upside, usually authorizations on debit cards only last a week or less before they expire.

I’m sure if you contact SP directly, they’ll be willing to cancel the original authorization, which should put the money back into your bank account.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold for further details.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 20:13:57 by jacobolus »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1118 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 21:39:10 »
I can't pay until sometime next week, but I'd love to get in on this if possible.

Also, congrats on breaking 300 Matt3o! that is awesome!

I'd still like to get in on this if I can, I just got paid but gotta wait til monday...

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1119 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 21:53:54 »
I can't pay until sometime next week, but I'd love to get in on this if possible.

Also, congrats on breaking 300 Matt3o! that is awesome!

I'd still like to get in on this if I can, I just got paid but gotta wait til monday...

As far as I know you will only be able to get them now if you email SP and ask if you can add your order (but I'm not sure how long that will be possible),  or wait until some end up in the classifieds.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:21:46 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline gainz8

« Reply #1120 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 00:17:02 »
im excited. have they started production yet?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1121 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:10:16 »
im excited. have they started production yet?

hopefully next week.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #1122 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:40:06 »
It's a little unfortunate that some money couldn't be saved.. 1 away from a $5 decrease on the Icon Pro (don't know if anything's going to be done about that). Also, throughout the checkout process, different pages were giving me different shipping prices to here in California ($5, $11, and then $12). I finally got charged $12 once I checked out.

Ah well, still looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:41:52 by cgbuen »

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1123 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:02:28 »
Charging a credit card has 2 parts: an “authorization” (or “hold”) and a “capture”. The authorization step locks down a particular amount of money from your credit limit, guaranteeing that the merchant can charge it, but does not actually charge you the money (some consumers definitely get confused about this from time to time though). The “capture” step actually finishes the transaction and charges the card. The authorization phase happens basically instantly, while captures are done in daily batches. It’s possible to capture any amount of money up to the authorized amount, or cancel the authorization, at any time for about a month after the authorization was made, though the exact amount of time varies from card to card. After that the authorization expires and the credit limit is restored.

Typically, in a situation like the one we’re dealing with here, SP should authorize the maximum possible charge, and then only capture the relevant amount (i.e. not actually charging you the difference). It sounds like what may have happened [though it’s a bit hard to tell without looking at your statement] is first they authorized the transaction for the full amount, and then later did both authorization and capture for a smaller amount, leaving the original authorization hanging.

If you use a debit card, instead of a credit card, then an authorization actually pulls money from your bank account (not exactly, but that’s how it often looks on statements), and the money sits in limbo until the authorization is either captured, canceled, or expired. This is one of the down-sides of debit cards. On the upside, usually authorizations on debit cards only last a week or less before they expire.

I’m sure if you contact SP directly, they’ll be willing to cancel the original authorization, which should put the money back into your bank account.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold for further details.

Thank you! That's why I was charged twice :) But it seems my money from authorization already on the way back to me - authorization statement on my bank account vanished already and it show i should have 144 bucks on it after payment to SP. Balance hasn't updated yet, but it is Saturday...

Offline gainz8

« Reply #1124 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:08:29 »
Quick question because I might have made a mistake in ordering..

I just need these keycaps for my Poker II.

I did NOT order the Pro kit. Did I make a mistake? I just ordered the main set and the text modifier kit. Will that be enough?

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #1125 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:10:37 »
Quick question because I might have made a mistake in ordering..

I just need these keycaps for my Poker II.

I did NOT order the Pro kit. Did I make a mistake? I just ordered the main set and the text modifier kit. Will that be enough?

You're fine. Poker 2 uses standard sized modifiers and backspace. you only need what you got.  :)

More
poker II

tkl

Offline tbc

« Reply #1126 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:31:39 »
technically, he got even more than he needed lol.

more helpfully, the only thing you could possibly be missing is an alpha colored esc for the top left if that's your thing.  this key is only found in the lost and found kit
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 03:33:53 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1127 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:02:29 »
technically, he got even more than he needed lol.

more helpfully, the only thing you could possibly be missing is an alpha colored esc for the top left if that's your thing.  this key is only found in the lost and found kit

Red esc key way better :) And he's got it.

Offline gainz8

« Reply #1128 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:46:26 »
oh yea i also forgot i bought the WASD kit. $10 for a set of 4 different colors is such a good deal

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1129 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 05:51:43 »
oh yea i also forgot i bought the WASD kit. $10 for a set of 4 different colors is such a good deal

The final price on the WASD kit was $9.

So you got them for a dollar less :D
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1130 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 06:01:03 »
I bloody finished designing ALL the bloody legends! JEEZ!

Now I'm gonna print them and do the final revision. Later I'll post all the kits for your review before giving them to SP.

Unfortunately I can't release the source files to the public because that would mean letting anybody run the same set (including SP). Considering the amount of time needed to design this thing I don't want other vendors to take advantage of the work (ie: SP is not allowed to run a private batch unless they pay for the designs :P ).

That being said, if you are interested in the source files, simply contact me privately.

Cheerio!

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1131 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 06:46:42 »
Yay! It's even cooler that it will be an exclusive thing ;)

Now to production :)

Offline pdkl55

« Reply #1132 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 07:37:36 »
it's so nice. A lot of options :D

Offline gainz8

« Reply #1133 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 07:48:06 »
I bloody finished designing ALL the bloody legends! JEEZ!

Now I'm gonna print them and do the final revision. Later I'll post all the kits for your review before giving them to SP.

Unfortunately I can't release the source files to the public because that would mean letting anybody run the same set (including SP). Considering the amount of time needed to design this thing I don't want other vendors to take advantage of the work (ie: SP is not allowed to run a private batch unless they pay for the designs :P ).

That being said, if you are interested in the source files, simply contact me privately.

Cheerio!

That's cool that you design the font too. I thought you just designed the color scheme. Good choice on the font. It is simple and not so fancy like the Razer ones are.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1134 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:03:17 »
All legends are vector graphics designed from scratch, they are not a vectorialization of a raster images.

To give you an idea, this is how the cherry mx legend looks like:

the little squares are the "control points" (the less the better, they won't be printed of course).

This is how it would have looked if vectorialized

And this is true for each and every novelty key (and we have A LOT of them, think of all the ICON MODS).

Apart from that centered legends are pretty complex to align, it's not just a matter of "align to center". For example accented letters are first aligned to center without the accent and the accent is added later on.

Also, legends have different thicknesses (eg: the numbers are smaller than alphas), so to make it uniform all the smaller characters have to be outlined a little, but outline on screen is different than on print, so it's a try and error task.

... and than there are legends that had to be redesigned, like @.

Really, a lot of work.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:07:12 by Matt3o »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1135 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:10:55 »
With the example it is very easy to understand why you said that "you are done until 2015". It is really a lot of work. Thank you again for all the hard work to design the set and lead this GB. The combination of colors, materials, the nice icon work, and the legends being sublimated will make this one a very nice, unique, and long lasting set, that may allow us to type in style for years to come.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:13:41 by ideus »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #1136 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:48:17 »
Wow. :eek: I had no idea that there was so much work into creating the legends. Thank you for sharing an insight into just how much work goes into a project like this.

Then again, you're making this set for profit.... err., nope that's not true.

I know, you work for SP, so it's part of your job... wrong again.

It can't be that you're volunteering your time and talents to the community because you're passionate about keyboards?  ;D

This is why I find your work so humbling, matt3o. You have so much talent and skill in what you do and you voluntarily donate it to this community so that we can all receive the fruits of your labor. Commercial entities consistently fall short, so without your willingness to contribute like you do, we would not have the wonderful projects that you've created. Thank you.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1137 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:53:58 »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1138 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:01:03 »
Yeah I was going to say that it would be really interesting for a proper interview and documentary tracking the process of interest check through design to production and delivery. Interviews and video of someone like Matt3o, people at SP, and buyers gleefully getting their stuff. Someone should co-ordinate that collect the footage and edit it up. Boom. Global box office smash.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1139 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:06:39 »
Yeah I was going to say that it would be really interesting for a proper interview and documentary tracking the process of interest check through design to production and delivery. Interviews and video of someone like Matt3o, people at SP, and buyers gleefully getting their stuff. Someone should co-ordinate that collect the footage and edit it up. Boom. Global box office smash.

wow, that's actually a very nice idea :) not the interview to Matt3o that nobody cares about :) but a production video would be nice.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1140 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:07:14 »
Next we'll need a SA set from Matt3o :)

P.S. Good work, really. A LOT of good work :)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1141 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:08:26 »

wow, that's actually a very nice idea :) not the interview to Matt3o that nobody cares about :) but a production video would be nice.

Yep, molding, printing... hell, even packaging :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1142 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:11:56 »

Actually I have right in front of me a PBT SA Spacebar. It is MAJESTIC!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1143 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:12:50 »
One of our exalted elders should organize a tour of SP for themselves and shoot some video and get some interviews with different people. This could be used in the Thockumentary (!)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #1144 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:17:31 »

Actually I have right in front of me a PBT SA Spacebar. It is MAJESTIC!

It's a beauty to behold, right? ;) And we NEED to bring more beauty to this world ;)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1145 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:33:36 »
Are the line weights going to be similar to dsa profile alphas?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1146 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:50:36 »

granite is just a pinch smaller I believe, but sublimation tends to bleed a little. Anyway I'll get a preview before starting full production

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1147 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 10:10:12 »

granite is just a pinch smaller I believe, but sublimation tends to bleed a little. Anyway I'll get a preview before starting full production

I like the line weights of the other dsa profiles that I've bought that were abs. Just the right thickness. Only gmk is better than that.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #1148 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:10:55 »
With the example it is very easy to understand why you said that "you are done until 2015". It is really a lot of work. Thank you again for all the hard work to design the set and lead this GB. The combination of colors, materials, the nice icon work, and the legends being sublimated will make this one a very nice, unique, and long lasting set, that may allow us to type in style for years to come.  :thumb:

Also some of the other things to consider when designing glyphs...

Mathematically correct != optically correct.  e.g. an O will normally be slightly taller than an I. If it wasn't it would look shorter - the curves fool the eye.

Also if ink/printing is going to bleed a little then where two points meet they are often slightly tapered in to avoid two points bleeding and creating a lump (these are known as ink traps)

Can't wait to get these!

[)amien

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #1149 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:40:23 »
fortunately SP will let me run a print test, so I'll be able to fix errors if any.

of course... designing keyboards is not my job and you can't expect a 100% error free work. But if you look at SP double-shot they are full of errors (wrong kerning, wrong size, wrong position, ...). I hope to do slightly better that that, but a little margin of error is understood.