Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 458502 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 08:42:50 »
We love to try out things, so no worries.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 08:53:45 »
Can confirm gateron clears are crazy smooth and cray light linears.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 08:55:42 »
Can confirm gateron clears are crazy smooth and cray light linears.

Already salivating. :))

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 09:03:46 »
Damn I really hope people are not getting confused and think that gateron clears are tactile.

Otherwise, I think sellers should order springs because we will need about 20k soon apparently.
I was thinking about going for the blacks but as it is I might join the Clear train to get cheaper switches.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 09:06:52 »
Damn I really hope people are not getting confused and think that gateron clears are tactile.

Otherwise, I think sellers should order springs because we will need about 20k soon apparently.
I was thinking about going for the blacks but as it is I might join the Clear train to get cheaper switches.

But you will have to change the springs in the clear switches. The black ones you can use stock! :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline patrain

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 09:16:09 »
Not a lot of love for the blacks.. :( thought it be at least 3rd. Don't the gateron blues have a "worse" hysteresis than mx blue?
in fact they do

what do yo mean by worse? I have been seeing people say the blues are inconsistent, but clicky is what I want. are these up to snuff or better than MX blues with the higher activation point?
what about their reset point?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 09:22:24 »
Not a lot of love for the blacks.. :( thought it be at least 3rd. Don't the gateron blues have a "worse" hysteresis than mx blue?
in fact they do

what do yo mean by worse? I have been seeing people say the blues are inconsistent, but clicky is what I want. are these up to snuff or better than MX blues with the higher activation point?
what about their reset point?
Well, the reset point is higher on the Gblues than MX blues
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 09:25:55 »

But you will have to change the springs in the clear switches. The black ones you can use stock! :D
God bless stock gateron blacks.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 09:26:50 »

That's what I'm saying! Blacks that I don't have to swap springs and lube?!?! Yes, please!!!!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Keyzus

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:17:37 »

That's what I'm saying! Blacks that I don't have to swap springs and lube?!?! Yes, please!!!!

The Clears look better though with the matching stem and casing!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:21:35 »

I don't think so, personally. I have some Gateron Clears on hand that I bought from Zeal, and I don't really like the lack of contrast between the stem and switch housing.

in memoriam

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:27:53 »

I don't think so, personally. I have some Gateron Clears on hand that I bought from Zeal, and I don't really like the lack of contrast between the stem and switch housing.
I just put in for both Clears & Blacks so I can decide later... thinking I want to use them in a Simply 60 so I'd want gold springs anyway (I'm gonna need a second job now to make it all happen :eek:  :p)
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:29:15 »

I wish the switch housing tops and bottoms were the same color.

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:30:04 »
Blacks for me, regardless on whether they pass 20k threshold. But there is still a couple  of weeks left for the orders to close so here is one hoping.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:44:52 »

What springs do you usually switch to with MX-Blacks JD?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:59:30 »

Sprit's 65g gold springs. :)

in memoriam

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 11:24:50 »
Just a heads up for people, if you ordered reds, you might want to switch to something else. it's unlikely Gateron would take such a small order, and not many vendors are stocking them anymore. I'll check around vendor-wise though, and see if we can get something going that route

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 11:33:57 »
Just a heads up for people, if you ordered reds, you might want to switch to something else. it's unlikely Gateron would take such a small order, and not many vendors are stocking them anymore. I'll check around vendor-wise though, and see if we can get something going that route
Should we just fill out the form again to overwrite a previous order?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 11:37:00 »
Should we just fill out the form again to overwrite a previous order?
Yeah, just make sure to pm me and let me know you did

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:28:26 »

Cherry MX-Black are 60g and the Gateron are 50g, seems like you're still going to have to swap springs -- unless I'm missing something (which I probably am).

Offline Moralless

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:37:19 »

Cherry MX-Black are 60g and the Gateron are 50g, seems like you're still going to have to swap springs -- unless I'm missing something (which I probably am).

I'm not entirely sure about this but IIRC sprit measured the weight of the springs at a different point such that 62g gold springs ~= mx red springs (which are weighted for 45g) and assuming that gateron used the same weighting system as cherry does, 65g gold springs would be close to the 50g springs used in stock gateron blacks.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:49:26 »

Yeah that's right. But if you think of the money you win with the 20k markup. It is pretty the price you pay for the spring (excluding shipping fees) hence for the same price you get the stock spring + another set of spring ;). I hope I didn't get my calculation wrong.

I was thinking of doing some kind of variant weigh board like the Topre one. Putting Ergo Clears (or JailHouse blues) on the alpha and some low-weigh linears on the mods. Or full linear but still low weight on the mods.

Offline phx

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:19:55 »
So I'm trying to summarize to myself about these switches, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gateron Clear: super light 30g linear
Gateron Red: slightly lighter and smoother version of MX red
Gateron Black: lighter version of MX black
Gateron Brown: slightly lighter and smoother version of MX brown
Gateron Blue: clickier version of MX blue

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:20:58 »
To me the only difference between the Gateron Blue and MX Blues is that the actuation point is shifted up further. Kind of like an Alps switch.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:24:18 »
So I'm trying to summarize to myself about these switches, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gateron Clear: super light 30g linear
Gateron Red: slightly lighter and smoother version of MX red
Gateron Black: lighter version of MX black
Gateron Brown: slightly lighter and smoother version of MX brown
Gateron Blue: clickier version of MX blue
Gateron Black : Slightly lighter and Smoother version of MX Black
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline melkenshawn

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:27:12 »
Just wondering, why are there suddenly so many more people going for clears when its stated that its a little too light? Is everyone just going to change the springs in it? :confused:

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:28:24 »
Just wondering, why are there suddenly so many more people going for clears when its stated that its a little too light? Is everyone just going to change the springs in it? :confused:
That and aesthetics or they are little b*tches with baby fingers ^-^
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline qwack

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:36:36 »
I'm a bit surprised too to see that more people are buying Clears (ok, aesthetics) or even Blues (aren't they worse than the Cherry Blue?) than the lauded Black that started the hype.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:37:21 »
Clears started the hype. :P
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:41:46 »
Clears started the hype.
Not for me. ;)

in memoriam

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:52:06 »
That and aesthetics or they are little b*tches with baby fingers ^-^

Aesthetics was my reason. I have bags and bags of springs so the only deciding factor for me was appearance.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:52:45 »
Ordered 110 blacks and 110 browns!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:06:00 »
Damn I hesitate know. I think I'll just wait a bit and see which one comes on top.

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:36:31 »
Damn I hesitate know. I think I'll just wait a bit and see which one comes on top.

20 days left for those blacks to hit 20k, might be a stretch but it can happen. I am gonna order 90 soon.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:37:21 »

20 days left for those blacks to hit 20k, might be a stretch but it can happen. I am gonna order 90 soon.

After I test the blacks I just got from taobao, I may be ordering 800 myself.

in memoriam

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:45:00 »

Nice! They that good? Was thinking of browns too but I am not hearing much about them other than they are similar to the mx browns. Surprised they are ahead of blacks in units ordered, since black switches are getting rave reviews.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:50:31 »

Dang it JD. I didn't need to read that. *begins tapping foot while waiting for results*

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:03:30 »
why so much hype on the clear switch, i realize a good amount people are going to spring swap them but i doubt all 14k+ of ordered so far are going to be spring swapped. i'll admit i haven't tried them but i have put 45g korean (korean weight! =/= cherry stock 45g) springs in linear black switches on an entire keyboard before and its just not practical at all, maybe if you were building a gamepad but for typing it actually becomes harder to type with them.

i'll likely be putting in a order, i am still debating if i should or not, i already have a few hundred switches and hundreds of springs stockpiled for some of my un-built keyboards, if i bought a few hundred gateron switches that would pretty much imply i will be building even more keyboards than originally planned.

btw LOL your ****ing avatar hwood, so classy ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:05:53 by Glod »

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 18:56:02 »
I have some worn mx blacks from a broken G80-1000. If lubed, would they compare to Gateron blacks in terms of smoothness?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 19:05:01 »

Dang it JD. I didn't need to read that. *begins tapping foot while waiting for results*
Oh yes you need. You gotta by some now ;)

sounds like a good number to me ;D

if i bought a few hundred gateron switches that would pretty much imply i will be building even more keyboards than originally planned.

btw LOL your ****ing avatar hwood, so classy ;D
But who doesn't want more boards :p?

and I respect a man who gets it ^-^

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 19:08:05 »
I have some worn mx blacks from a broken G80-1000. If lubed, would they compare to Gateron blacks in terms of smoothness?
yep, they'd be pretty much on par

Offline Asininity

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:05:42 »
I started with 100 clears and 100 blues! If there's price drops I'll probably add more to the total.

If I increase my order is the best way just to edit my previous entry?

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:27:05 »
I started with 100 clears and 100 blues! If there's price drops I'll probably add more to the total.

Yes, you can just edit it.

Offline ImBZppl

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:59:32 »

Yes, you can just edit it.

where can I edit the form?

Offline Keyzus

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 23:13:46 »
I'll probably go with clears purely for aesthetics.  No doubt I'll have to change to heavier springs though. 

So can we use the springs commonly available, that were I believe intended for Cherry MX switches?  Or should I order black switches as well to swap the springs from them?

Offline evera

« Reply #245 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 00:13:32 »
In for a bunch! (~300 misc) I wonder if I'll like them over cherry switches -- at that price I kinda hope I do!

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 00:25:27 »
In for a bunch! (~300 misc) I wonder if I'll like them over cherry switches -- at that price I kinda hope I do!
There wouldn't be a reason not to AFAIK. They come smoother stock, so hopefully no scratchiness.

Offline VanGhost

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 00:30:54 »
There wouldn't be a reason not to AFAIK. They come smoother stock, so hopefully no scratchiness.
Isn't that because they use softer plastic though? Could make it less durable?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 00:34:51 »
Isn't that because they use softer plastic though? Could make it less durable?
I couldn't tell you, but what would make them less durable? I guess the amount of times they could slide up and down? And most of us probably don't use the same board enough times to hit at least 5 million strokes per each key.

Offline mic)

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 04:24:38 »
Thanks hwood34 for doing this group buy!

Will the shipments be trackable all along the route?

I'm asking because the shipping method in the destination country depends on this, i.e. whether the receipient needs to sign off the arrival of the package, or if the mailman can just put it somewhere if it doesn't fit in the mailbox. The latter doesn't work well in a city flat with many tenants and often strangers having access to the mailboxes. I recently had problems with shippings from China, that's why I'm worried.