Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 462391 times)

Offline jacobolus

Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #500 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 05:30:41 »
What does "pinging" mean for a keyboard? Sorry for the stupid question but that's the first time I'm seeing this word used about keyboards.
Some keyboards are constructed in such a way that when you press a key down relatively hard (or just normally in the case of Model Fs), a metal plate somewhere ends up vibrating, resulting in a high-frequency sound. Most people don’t like this, but it’s usually possible to dampen the vibration of any metal plates by stuffing the case full of shelf liner, or on Model F keyboards putting a piece of “super floss” down the center of each spring.

Offline alex952

« Reply #501 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 05:47:29 »
Could someone advise on a place to get some springs for the clears? Also, what would be your choice of spring for these switches?

Here you go mate: http://zealpc.net/collections/accessories/products/18k-gold-plated-springs-100pcs

Cheers dude! Just ordered some  :cool:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #502 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:03:29 »
Edit: I'm sorry, I should have reloaded the page before posting...

What does "pinging" mean for a keyboard?
Ping = a residual ringing sound after a key has been struck. What causes it and how important it is has been almost continuously debated in several threads over several years.

All mechanical contact and movement in metal springs cause vibrations that are dampened and/or amplified in various ways by the different parts of the keyboard, depending on the materials and constructions. I think that keyboard feet/rubber pads on the underside and the desk surface can also be significant factors.
It is not just metal plates that ping. I have a keyboard with PCB-mounted vintage Cherry MX Black switches that pings very much but is otherwise very silent.
Ping can also vary with different users' typing styles and different keys could cause different amounts of ping.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:25:52 by Findecanor »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #503 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:26:55 »
What does "pinging" mean for a keyboard? Sorry for the stupid question but that's the first time I'm seeing this word used about keyboards.
Some keyboards are constructed in such a way that when you press a key down relatively hard (or just normally in the case of Model Fs), a metal plate somewhere ends up vibrating, resulting in a high-frequency sound. Most people don’t like this, but it’s usually possible to dampen the vibration of any metal plates by stuffing the case full of shelf liner, or on Model F keyboards putting a piece of “super floss” down the center of each spring.

Edit: I'm sorry, I should have reloaded the page before posting...

What does "pinging" mean for a keyboard?
Ping = a residual ringing sound after a key has been struck. What causes it and how important it is has been almost continuously debated in several threads over several years.

All mechanical contact and movement in metal springs cause vibrations that are dampened and/or amplified in various ways by the different parts of the keyboard, depending on the materials and constructions. I think that keyboard feet/rubber pads on the underside and the desk surface can also be significant factors.
It is not just metal plates that ping. I have a keyboard with PCB-mounted vintage Cherry MX Black switches that pings very much but is otherwise very silent.
Ping can also vary with different users' typing styles and different keys could cause different amounts of ping.

Ok thanks guys for the explanation.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline radish

« Reply #504 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 11:29:17 »
didnt expect this to go live for at least another month.

LZ CP

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #505 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 11:39:21 »
didnt expect this to go live for at least another month.
neither did I...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #506 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 11:54:49 »
Grr no reds now?  :mad: That ruining my plans to make a variable force linear Gaterons.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #507 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 11:57:36 »
Grr no reds now?  :mad: That ruining my plans to make a variable force linear Gaterons.

Heavier in the middle, lighter as you go outside?...yeah, me too..it's unfortunate, but what can you do...no demand, no supply.

Offline superbia

« Reply #508 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 13:51:59 »
Waiting till the 12th with my order (need to see the final handling fee  :p )

I am also interested how many switches can we bring in the EU without paying the taxes for the switches?
Im only consirned i will be taxed much more then i paid the switches  :eek:
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #509 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 13:56:51 »

I am also interested how many switches can we bring in the EU without paying the taxes for the switches?

Check what is the highest value you can import in your country without being taxed.
For example for me is 23 € that is around 160 with the 0,16 cent price

BTW buy more blues :D

Offline superbia

« Reply #510 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:05:28 »

Check what is the highest value you can import in your country without being taxed.
For example for me is 23 € that is around 160 with the 0,16 cent price

BTW buy more blues :D

Still personel that works in the costums will xray the package, see a ton of switches (here the max value of import package would be like 45eur worth of switches - if sent as a gift(otherwise23eur)), and then they open the package, and if they dont think the price indicated on the label matches the content, they browse the web to find similar content...
And since that might happen i might get taxed for cherry mx individual price which would be turbo insane...

That said.. im thinking about ordering either just 100 blacks or going totally ham and getting a 1k or switches (asking the person that packs it to write on the label these are salvaged parts, writing 45eur price  and highlighting its a gift.. and playing a risk game)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:25:34 by superbia »

Offline RavenII

« Reply #511 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:38:21 »
It's not really a risk, he's actually telling the truth, he's rewarding you with a gift for helping reach the 20K mark...you contributed to the group buy to help us in the US out, the outcome is that he gets to send a few out to those in the EU who helped as a reward.

Offline snipars

« Reply #512 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:46:28 »
are these plate-mounted?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline superbia

« Reply #513 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:47:50 »
are these plate-mounted?

iirc pcb, but you can clip them to make them plate mounted

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #514 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:51:16 »
so what's the process of getting these switches shipped to the U.S? Never had something shipped to me from overseas before.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #515 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:51:38 »
are these plate-mounted?

Gaterons are PCB mount only, but they can be made into plate mount by clipping them!

Offline superbia

« Reply #516 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 15:22:01 »
It's not really a risk, he's actually telling the truth, he's rewarding you with a gift for helping reach the 20K mark...you contributed to the group buy to help us in the US out, the outcome is that he gets to send a few out to those in the EU who helped as a reward.

Say what you want... but the .16 per switch pricetag is Sick

Also is there a limit how many switches can be shiped in one package?? And does handling fee multiply per package?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #517 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 15:35:07 »
Damn, that would be really cool. I'll see if I can round up some 45g switches and send em your way, I'd love to see a variable gate board ;D

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Asininity

« Reply #518 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:32:06 »
I wonder if Blues and Browns are going to hit the 20k mark.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #519 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:37:15 »

Blues may, browns doubtful, but hwood has wrote something about a hidden card under his sleeve. Who knows.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #520 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:40:20 »

I don't know if the organizers want to handle it, but someone earlier calculated, that if you want more than 13,333 switches, it's cheaper to at least order 20k and both switches almost hit that target (also the group buy still has some time to run).

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:50:20 by wlhlm »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #521 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:43:34 »
The amounts we're getting right now are on the lower end of the spectrum of order size for Gateron
i'm curious as to who are ordering Gaterons en masse. probably the Chinese community, but it would be cool if some manufacturers plan on outfitting their next boards with gaterons

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #522 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:45:38 »

I don't know if the organizers want to handle it, but someone earlier calculated, that I you want more than 13,333 switches, it's cheaper to at least order 20k and both switches almost hit that target (also the group buy still has some time to run).

Right. Any number between 13,333 and 20,000 the organizer would simply order 20,000, because it would cost the same, but people would still pay the higher price tier cost per switch, because the organizer still has to collect the money to pay for those 20,000 switches from the buyers. It doesn't affect the buyer until the 20k mark is reached with actual orders.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #523 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:49:36 »
The amounts we're getting right now are on the lower end of the spectrum of order size for Gateron
i'm curious as to who are ordering Gaterons en masse. probably the Chinese community, but it would be cool if some manufacturers plan on outfitting their next boards with gaterons

With 20k switches you could only make ~200 full-sized keyboards.

I also think many manufacturers will consider using other switches then Cherry MXs. It seems like they have trouble keeping up with the demand (I've heard 12 months lead time). Also, many of the competitor's switches are actually cheaper.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 17:08:28 by wlhlm »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #524 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:53:52 »

I don't know if the organizers want to handle it, but someone earlier calculated, that I you want more than 13,333 switches, it's cheaper to at least order 20k and both switches almost hit that target (also the group buy still has some time to run).

Right. Any number between 13,333 and 20,000 the organizer would simply order 20,000, because it would cost the same, but people would still pay the higher price tier cost per switch, because the organizer still has to collect the money to pay for those 20,000 switches from the buyers. It doesn't affect the buyer until the 20k mark is reached with actual orders.
But it would be cheaper in the end if the excess switches are distributed between the buyers, wouldn't it. Though, it would be quite some organizational work.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #525 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 17:18:56 »

But it would be cheaper in the end if the excess switches are distributed between the buyers, wouldn't it. Though, it would be quite some organizational work.
Yes, in theory you could get a few extra switches with your order. But in reality, I would never expect the GB organizer to fulfill orders that way.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Asininity

« Reply #526 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 17:53:12 »

Blues may, browns doubtful, but hwood has wrote something about a hidden card under his sleeve. Who knows.

I'll have to look back for his post.

Yes, in theory you could get a few extra switches with your order. But in reality, I would never expect the GB organizer to fulfill orders that way.

There's a lot of potential switches that could be lost if it isn't taken advantage of. If for example browns have 13,333 orders hwood could either buy the 13,333 switches for 0.24c or buy 20,000 for 0.16c. Either way, the cost is the same. If he goes for option a. that's a loss of 6,667 switches. If blues and browns both remain between 13,333-20,000 orders that's a loss of at least 13,334 "free" switches.

I don't know what should be done with all those potential switches but it seems a shame to pass by on that opportunity. For example, the spare keys could be re-sold for .20c for those who missed out on the group buy. The profits could be used to help cover server costs for GH and a steak dinner for those running the group buy. Or a switch giveaway could be run. Who knows, but it is a opportunity that seems silly to let pass on by.

Offline axlroach

• axlroach blog
« Reply #527 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:43:37 »
I like the idea of selling the excess "free" switches for .20 each and using the proceeds to help GH.  And I fully support a nice dinner for the GB organizers  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #528 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:44:26 »
I like the idea of selling the excess "free" switches for .20 each and using the proceeds to help GH.  And I fully support a nice dinner for the GB organizers  :thumb:
If browns don't hit 20k, that's probably what'll end up happening

Offline Asininity

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:54:25 »

You have to take pictures of your steak dinner.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:11:18 by Asininity »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #530 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:55:39 »
Thank you Mr Hwood as well :)

Now I just need a pcb for these >_> (Joke I'll just desolder my poker II again :c )
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #531 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:57:02 »

Offline Asininity

« Reply #532 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:11:45 »

Show Image

Oh my.

While we're at it if browns hit 13,333+ would the cost per switch go down to .16c?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #533 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:28:51 »
Oh my.

While we're at it if browns hit 13,333+ would the cost per switch go down to .16c?

No, no, no, no, no, no. That's not how it works at all. Let me try to explain it more clearly.

Let's say hypothetically Blues were at 13,333 switches ordered. That's $3,200 collected for 13,333 switches at $0.24/ea.

For $3,200, hwood can order 20,000 switches (20,000 * $0.16). So hwood gets 20,000 switches - more than enough to fulfill the orders for 13,333.

But he can't SELL the 13,333 switches for $0.16/ea. That's only $2133.28. Not enough to order the 20,000 switches.

So, everyone saying he should sell the "extras" above 13,333 but less than 20,000 for $0.20/ea...are you okay with paying $0.24/ea, while the extras get sold for $0.20?

The only time the price drops to $0.16/ea FOR THE GB PARTICIPANTS is if, and only if, the switch orders total 20,000 for each type.

in memoriam

Offline Asininity

« Reply #534 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 19:41:08 »
Oh my.

No, no, no, no, no, no. That's not how it works at all. Let me try to explain it more clearly.

Let's say hypothetically Blues were at 13,333 switches ordered. That's $3,200 collected for 13,333 switches at $0.24/ea.

For $3,200, hwood can order 20,000 switches (20,000 * $0.16). So hwood gets 20,000 switches - more than enough to fulfill the orders for 13,333.

But he can't SELL the 13,333 switches for $0.16/ea. That's only $2133.28. Not enough to order the 20,000 switches.

So, everyone saying he should sell the "extras" above 13,333 but less than 20,000 for $0.20/ea...are you okay with paying $0.24/ea, while the extras get sold for $0.20?

The only time the price drops to $0.16/ea FOR THE GB PARTICIPANTS is if, and only if, the switch orders total 20,000 for each type.

Oops, you're right. I made a (obvious) mathematical error in my head.

Instead of charging .20c the charge could be 0.30c.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #535 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 21:15:38 »
Grr no reds now?  >:( That ruining my plans to make a variable force linear Gaterons.

Why not just buy enough linear gateron and then swap the spring with the force you want. You'll be able to make it, unless you want different stem color to know which one are which.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #536 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 02:42:13 »
220 clears and blacks! Too many good GBs going on lately!

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #537 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 03:02:23 »
220 clears and blacks! Too many good GBs going on lately!
Haha, yeah... RIP wallet!

Offline superbia

« Reply #538 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 04:12:24 »
Ordered 150, just under the 22euros to avoid taxing (or atleast i hope i wont get taxed)...

I also think that after this GB there will be more feedback about the gaterons,
and i hope there will be a next GB soon enough  :p  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 04:14:51 by superbia »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #539 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 04:59:07 »
Ordered 150, just under the 22euros to avoid taxing (or atleast i hope i wont get taxed)...

and i hope there will be a next GB soon enough  :p :thumb:

People will get their stocks full, I do not see them needing more any time soon, no matter how good they are. Get what what it is needed now, otherwise, the chinese site that sell them would be the only non accessible from ConUS source, or maybe ZealPc but at difference price.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #540 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 04:59:39 »

and i hope there will be a next GB soon enough    :thumb:
Where so you guys live? My import limit for not being taxed is 150€.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #541 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 09:24:03 »
I'm in!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #542 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 09:43:12 »

and i hope there will be a next GB soon enough    :thumb:
I'm sure that Shadovved can declare a lower value for the shipping. Every single keyboard related package I've gotten had lower values declared.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #543 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:19:27 »
Joined! Bought  100 Blacks and 50 Blues. I look forward to soldering for my first time.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #544 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:26:17 »

and i hope there will be a next GB soon enough 
Show Image
  :thumb:
I'm sure that Shadovved can declare a lower value for the shipping. Every single keyboard related package I've gotten had lower values declared.

So do I. But it also means that if you package get lost, you will be able to claim only the amount declared for that particular parcel hence I wouldn't do it if it is something really important for you or really expensive.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #545 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:55:01 »
Come on people.  We need some brown orders.  Keep the dream alive... 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #546 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:55:55 »
Damn, that would be really cool. I'll see if I can round up some 45g switches and send em your way, I'd love to see a variable gate board ;D

That would be fantastic. I tried it before with Cherry MX but the force steps are not as ideal using grey, clear spring in black, black and red.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #547 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 12:29:50 »
Come on people.  We need some brown orders.  Keep the dream alive...
Trust me, we'll get there, one way or another ;)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #548 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:15:50 »
still fighting myself on putting in a order. i don't need more keyboards. but if these are now down to 16 cents a switch. somebody please give me a reason not to buy these.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #549 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:16:31 »
In for 300 blacks  :) Canceling Massdrop order.  :thumb: