Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 462798 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #600 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:14:19 »
deskhtority wiki which says that MX black are 60cN at actuation point

This is why I have a hard time understanding wlhlm's test that measured MX black at 65g bottom out. It really only takes 5g more force to bottom out the switch from actuation? It should be more like 15g.
Just to make it clear, I just compared the feeling. The measurements took someone else (wscarlton), who happened to post it at almost the same time.

Ah okay, good to know. The format of reddit makes my head hurt.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline RavenII

« Reply #601 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:34:56 »

I wonder if it's because we're just used to forums?...(I too can't make sense of it)...when does a new post arrive, where does it end up, top or bottom...what if it gets filtered...etc...it really is confusing. I wonder if it's because I'm 31, and a younger generation makes better sense of it? I dunno....anyhow, back to topic.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #602 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:15:02 »

I wonder if it's because we're just used to forums?...(I too can't make sense of it)...when does a new post arrive, where does it end up, top or bottom...what if it gets filtered...etc...it really is confusing. I wonder if it's because I'm 31, and a younger generation makes better sense of it? I dunno....anyhow, back to topic.

Treat it like a news feed. If you sort by "new" the latest posts will always be on top. If you are on the default "hot" tab you will see posts that are popular. If they are not relevant anymore (which is usually after a day) they disappear from the first Hot page and are getting pushed further back.

Same with the comments. You can sort by "Best", "new" etc. Where you can choose if you want the most upvoted comments on top or the latest ones.

Since each post will only get an exposure of a day or two it is very hard to keep a longer discussion running.

I am also bad at explaining things sorry.

edit: I am still not sure what I should buy oh god  :confused:
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:16:45 by Fnzzy »

Offline RavenII

« Reply #603 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:35:48 »

Treat it like a news feed. If you sort by "new" the latest posts will always be on top. If you are on the default "hot" tab you will see posts that are popular. If they are not relevant anymore (which is usually after a day) they disappear from the first Hot page and are getting pushed further back.

Same with the comments. You can sort by "Best", "new" etc. Where you can choose if you want the most upvoted comments on top or the latest ones.

Since each post will only get an exposure of a day or two it is very hard to keep a longer discussion running.

I am also bad at explaining things sorry.

edit: I am still not sure what I should buy oh god  :confused:

DUDE!...that was a great help. I didn't even know you can do all that...There's just so many things going on, on the screen that it's over whelming sometimes...I guess I just have to give it a solid chance. Thanks for the explanation...that in itself helped a lot.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #604 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 22:17:27 »
DUDE!...that was a great help. I didn't even know you can do all that...There's just so many things going on, on the screen that it's over whelming sometimes...I guess I just have to give it a solid chance. Thanks for the explanation...that in itself helped a lot.

Glad it helped :thumb:

Offline tbc

« Reply #605 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 23:10:11 »
deskhtority wiki which says that MX black are 60cN at actuation point

This is why I have a hard time understanding wlhlm's test that measured MX black at 65g bottom out. It really only takes 5g more force to bottom out the switch from actuation? It should be more like 15g.
Just to make it clear, I just compared the feeling. The measurements took someone else (wscarlton), who happened to post it at almost the same time.

treat it like twitter.

you're supposed to ignore other people.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #606 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 03:31:29 »
Can someone try something for me and tell me how strong the tops are as I just hulked my clear tops open just now after just finishing to solder all the leds in :X

So can you tell me if they break easily or are they pretty solid? more like cherry tops :x

I'm sad now :c
They're more flexible and less brittle than the Abostudio ones

Somewhere it is stated they are made of different plastics, being Abo's the one with less tensile strength that makes them more fragile therefore they may brake under pressure while being removed.
Awesome thank you both for answering this, might have to put another order in later tonight then :X just switch them all so I don't hulk them all out :c
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #607 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 03:47:43 »
Reddit has the advantage over forums in that topics don't hang around for very long. It has the disadvantage that topics don't hang around for very long.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #608 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 04:54:55 »
Reddit has the advantage over forums in that topics don't hang around for very long. It has the disadvantage that topics don't hang around for very long.
Exactly.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #609 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:54:10 »
If any more interested vendors would like to hop on, we could blast through the 0.16 MOQ for blues and browns :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #610 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:56:01 »
If any more interested vendors would like to hop on, we could blast through the 0.16 MOQ for blues and browns :thumb:

Of course. The original price is not bad by any means though. But paying even less for these switches is great.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #611 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:14:11 »
TheKeyboardCompany said that they would look into stocking gaterons in their reddit ama, and someone linked to this thread.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #612 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:36:11 »
TheKeyboardCompany said that they would look into stocking gaterons in their reddit ama, and someone linked to this thread.
Yeah, saw that. Does anyone have a way I could get in contact with them other than by phone?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #613 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:43:02 »
Yeah, saw that. Does anyone have a way I could get in contact with them other than by phone?

Bruce is the M.D. You can contact him at bruce@keyboardco.com.

Alternatively, maybe the vendor subforum?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #614 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:45:45 »

alright, just sent them an email

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #615 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:58:44 »

alright, just sent them an email

Could this contact make take all the colors over 20k? Let see.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #616 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 14:06:30 »

Wow we blew these MOQs out of the water! The Gatorade train is coming!

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #617 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 14:47:04 »
In for some switches and grabbed some clear covers too. Thanks! :)
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline ImBZppl

« Reply #618 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 16:28:22 »
Worth Noting: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2xcp6b/testing_all_the_clones/

Thought it's a bit dis-concerning to see that Gat. Blacks are = to MX Blacks...I might definitely have to change my order it that's the case...

According to this comparison the gateron browns are less tactile than the mx browns.   I really want tactile and it is looking like I should probably hold out until I can get the MX clears at a reasonable price.  End game board and all that.  There was/is a Massdrop vote on keys that included a GB for cherry switches.  I hope it comes to pass. 

thanks for the link!

Well, Now I don't want any brown gaterons... Maybe modify my order to more blues and a few clears + blacks?
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 February 2015, 16:30:10 by ImBZppl »

Offline yuiop

« Reply #619 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 21:53:05 »
Ordered some.  I've heard some good and bad things about Gaterons but prices are too good to resist.  Thanks for running this!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #620 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 21:55:33 »
Ordered some.  I've heard some good and bad things about Gaterons but prices are too good to resist.  Thanks for running this!

Is like sex, everybody has an opinion, but: The bad thing is you not trying it, the good thing is that you will enjoy it. :))

Offline RavenII

« Reply #621 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 21:55:46 »

Bad...things? What bad things?! COME ON, START A PANIC!!

Offline yuiop

« Reply #622 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:08:51 »
Is like sex, everybody has an opinion, but: The bad thing is you not trying it, the good thing is that you will enjoy it. :))

I have no clue what you're saying.  I don't really have an opinion on these because I haven't had a chance to try one yet

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #623 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:37:22 »

I have no clue what you're saying.  I don't really have an opinion on these because I haven't had a chance to try one yet

Precisely.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #624 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:45:12 »
I also would like to thank all the people that have added this buy to their sigs, I really appreciate all the exposure and help :-*

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #625 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:47:52 »

[size=78%]...[/size]

Offline quaxar

« Reply #626 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 23:56:24 »
Doubling my order, as it turns out my current desoldering project gives me 4 pcbs to solder instead of my initial estimates as 2.

This switch is making me think about planning out a 4 pole multicolor LED setup with a hand wired matrix

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #627 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 03:47:56 »
How close to 20k?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #628 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 08:33:54 »
How close to 20k?

Current Numbers:
Clears: 24,200
Blues: 17,000
Blacks: 25,000
Browns: 14,000

Offline thebornotaku

« Reply #629 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:22:25 »
Is it 20k overall or 20k for each type of switch?

Also I entered for 300, 150 blues and 150 browns. Might have to get a Phantom board and maybe an ErgoDox board set...

edit\\

and it'll give me a switch to replace the faulty space switch in my Das, which will be nice.

Also, if it's at all possible, I'd prefer to be contacted on Reddit since that will automatically notify my phone, versus on here where I pretty much just lurk as of yet.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:24:47 by thebornotaku »
Daskeyboard Professional MX Browns, the work board.
Daskeyboard Professional MX Blues, the clicky temporary board.
CM Storm Quickfire PRO MX Browns, the broken home board out for RMA.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #630 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:26:53 »
Also, if it's at all possible, I'd prefer to be contacted on Reddit since that will automatically notify my phone, versus on here where I pretty much just lurk as of yet.
Try out the Tapatalk app, which should notify you for this forum as well.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #631 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:29:15 »
Is it 20k overall or 20k for each type of switch?

Also I entered for 300, 150 blues and 150 browns. Might have to get a Phantom board and maybe an ErgoDox board set...

edit\\

and it'll give me a switch to replace the faulty space switch in my Das, which will be nice.

20k for each switch type.
Made a note of your preference in the doc

Offline hking0036

« Reply #632 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:54:01 »
can I up my blacks from 10 to 80?

also if possible I'd like to get just one of all the others, but since you said to put it in 10's I put it down as such. If it's not possible then just 10 for all and 80 blacks.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #633 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:55:33 »

also if possible I'd like to get just one of all the others, but since you said to put it in 10's I put it down as such. If it's not possible then just 10 for all and 80 blacks.
if it's under ten, any number is fine :thumb: done.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #634 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:56:38 »

if it's under ten, any number is fine :thumb: done.
great, thanks!
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline rand77

« Reply #635 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 23:57:28 »
I'm in for 200 black and 100 blues.  Looking forward to building a new ergodox and more with gaterons :)

Offline NexVestrum

« Reply #636 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 00:23:52 »
I want to... I shouldn't... UGH I'm gonna order a few hundred. I want to build a board with clears and blacks. Thanks for setting this up!

Offline RavenII

« Reply #637 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 11:49:50 »
So, I noticed that the shipping charges have changed. Are there rough estimates as to what we can expect at certain quantities? This could potentially change a lot of minds if it's a substantial difference.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #638 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 12:25:36 »
Down for 100 Blacks + 30 Clears. This should look nice with some different coloured backlights on the modifiers. :)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #639 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 13:26:53 »
OK I got some money and will hop onto this in the next couple of days. Only need to figure out what to buy :/

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #640 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 14:06:37 »
So, I noticed that the shipping charges have changed. Are there rough estimates as to what we can expect at certain quantities? This could potentially change a lot of minds if it's a substantial difference.
Nope, it's been 7-8 for a set since the beginning, I just made sure to specify that it would go up with bigger orders since people sometimes seem to lack common sense. And the prices really shouldn't drastically change between something like a 100 switch order and a 300 switch order, a few dollars at the most. But obviously people who are ordering like 1500 switches will pay a good bit more. But I don't think that'll come as a shock to anyone. I'll get some more exact estimates tonight though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2015, 15:10:07 by hwood34 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #641 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 14:07:27 »
#buggerorders FTW

Offline RavenII

« Reply #642 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 15:08:01 »
Nope, it's been 7-8 for a set since the beginning, I just made sure to specify that it would go up with bugger orders since people sometimes seem to lack common sense. And the prices really shouldn't drastically change between something like a 100 switch order and a 300 switch order, a few dollars at the most. But obviously people who are ordering like 1500 switches will pay a good bit more. But I don't think that'll come as a shock to anyone. I'll get some more exact estimates tonight though.

Ah, gotcha. Lack of common sense is certainly an issue. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline thebornotaku

« Reply #643 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 18:35:51 »
Actually if at all possible I'd like to switch out (har har) my 150 Blues for 150 Clears. Keep the Browns though.

Realized I really am not that much of a fan of the clicky switches.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #644 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 18:37:08 »
Actually if at all possible I'd like to switch out (har har) my 150 Blues for 150 Clears. Keep the Browns though.

PM hwood with your updated quantities, he will take care of it right away.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #645 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 18:56:00 »

done :thumb: but yeah, in the future PMs are best, luckily I saw this though

Offline thebornotaku

« Reply #646 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 00:57:37 »

done :thumb: but yeah, in the future PMs are best, luckily I saw this though

Right, didn't even cross my mind. Thanks though! Excited for this, and I can't wait to build a board!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #647 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 06:07:11 »
I read somewhere that the black, red, and clear gaterons have the same stem. Only difference is the spring in it.
Anyone care to clarify that ? :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #648 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 06:33:02 »
I read somewhere that the black, red, and clear gaterons have the same stem. Only difference is the spring in it.
Anyone care to clarify that ? :D
Well, yeah, since they're all linears, only difference in stem is the color. Though I'm not actually 100% that the plastic in clear stems is exactly the same

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #649 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 07:41:01 »
Invoices will selectively start to go out now, the bulk will start happening Friday. Orders will still be open til the 12th and you stilll have til the 16th to pay invoices.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 08:24:35 by hwood34 »