Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 462695 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #650 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 07:42:49 »
Awesome. Thank you for running the group, it is a lot of hard work!
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 08:31:50 by ideus »

Offline LBartley

« Reply #651 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:19:12 »
So, Clears are 35g linear? I've seen mention that they are tactile, and have a bump like browns, but never actually seen the stem outside of the housing.

I was ready to jump in for some reds, but since they're not longer available, I'm thinking clears. But I'd really like to see the stems if anyone has done, or knows of a teardown of various colours.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #652 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:23:32 »
So, Clears are 35g linear? I've seen mention that they are tactile, and have a bump like browns, but never actually seen the stem outside of the housing.

I was ready to jump in for some reds, but since they're not longer available, I'm thinking clears. But I'd really like to see the stems if anyone has done, or knows of a teardown of various colours.

They are just very light linears. Same stem as other linear switches.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #653 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:30:57 »
GATERON CLEARS ARE SUPER LIGHT (35g) LINEARS, NOT TACTILE!!!

:D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #654 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:01:31 »
I dunno guys, I'm still not clear on this...Clears are tactile right??

I kid, I kid.

I did order 200 Clears, but it is because I have some 62g springs kicking about, 35g is way to light for me. In the Gaterons that I have for samples the Clears are smoother than Red and Black, even when I swapped it out with heavier springs. I can't wait to try them out on a whole board.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #655 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:06:36 »
In the Gaterons that I have for samples the Clears are smoother than Red and Black, even when I swapped it out with heavier springs.
Even smoother than Gateron Reds/Blacks? I have Reds/Blacks and they are already super smooth. Why would they be different? Wouldn't it be cheaper to make Clear/Red/Black using the same mold and material and just change the color?

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #656 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:12:01 »
In the Gaterons that I have for samples the Clears are smoother than Red and Black, even when I swapped it out with heavier springs.
Even smoother than Gateron Reds/Blacks? I have Reds/Blacks and they are already super smooth. Why would they be different? Wouldn't it be cheaper to make Clear/Red/Black using the same mold and material and just change the color?

Honestly, I don't know why it feels smoother to me. I've taken them apart several times to spring swap and in my (limited) experience I  know that when I take the Black switch and move that spring with the Clear, the Clear is smoother. To be fair, I've messed with the Clear a bit more, or it could just be that the two Blacks I have are abnormal. I only have 2 of each switch type so it is a very small sample group. I also haven't taken the stem and swapped that.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #657 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:23:03 »
I have some 62g springs kicking about, 35g is way to light for me.
35g should be ~48g on the Korean scale. just so nobody confuses Korean spring weight vs Cherry spring weight

Offline dante

« Reply #658 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:33:27 »
I would imagine the 35g Clear Gaterons would be terrible on a board without O-Rings/Soft landing pads.

Maybe they would be better on a plateless board?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #659 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:34:53 »
I would imagine the 35g Clear Gaterons would be terrible on a board without O-Rings/Soft landing pads.

I think the general consensus is most people are buying them because they like the look and will swap a different spring into them. I'm not sure anyone plans on actually using them stock.

OR people need to learn to read and there will be many pissed off customers

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #660 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:47:36 »
That and it's just as expensive to get a full switch as the clear switch tops.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #661 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:49:16 »
That and it's just as expensive to get a full switch as the clear switch tops.

The tops are made of a transparent plastic, while the switch's tops are translucent, so there are a little bit different in between them.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #662 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 14:01:17 »

I think the general consensus is most people are buying them because they like the look and will swap a different spring into them. I'm not sure anyone plans on actually using them stock.

I can't understand buying such light switches.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #663 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 14:13:07 »

It's a new experience that some people might want to try out. They are also very aesthetically pleasing.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #664 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 14:38:17 »
I guess it MIGHT have something to do with the (lack of) dyes used in the stem? that could MAYBE make them softer/smoother?

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #665 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 14:44:09 »
I guess it MIGHT have something to do with the (lack of) dyes used in the stem? that could MAYBE make them softer/smoother?

Matias originally intended to use orange dye in the quiet click but removed it as it affected the plastic's properties. however gaterons have dyed stems, just they have transparent casing.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #666 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 15:50:36 »

Matias originally intended to use orange dye in the quiet click but removed it as it affected the plastic's properties. however gaterons have dyed stems, just they have transparent casing.

I don't the clears are dyed...

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #667 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 21:40:38 »
about to pay the invoice. Anyway I can confirm my address before these get shipped out?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #668 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 22:01:43 »
about to pay the invoice. Anyway I can confirm my address before these get shipped out?
pm'd
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #669 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 22:05:00 »
pm'd

perfect thanks

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #670 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:28:54 »
Does anyone have experience with using the top housing and stem of a gateron clear with the bottom housing of an mx switch compared to using the whole gateron switch? I am planning on putting some of these into my LZ and would potentially be able to avoid re-soldering.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #671 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 09:06:25 »
The declared amount for customs will default at either $20, or the actual amount if your order is less. PM Shadovved if you'd like to change the amount

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #672 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 10:41:51 »

Personally I'm getting them just to try them out

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #673 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 11:35:51 »
Does anyone have experience with using the top housing and stem of a gateron clear with the bottom housing of an mx switch compared to using the whole gateron switch? I am planning on putting some of these into my LZ and would potentially be able to avoid re-soldering.
well, since the added smoothness is entirely from the stem and top housing, it should feel and work the same

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #674 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 12:21:14 »
well, since the added smoothness is entirely from the stem and top housing, it should feel and work the same

I just swapped out the stem and switch top between a Cherry Red and a Gateron Clear. In doing so, the switch with the Cherry bottom and original Red spring felt smoother than a typical Cherry Red.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #675 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 12:45:32 »
I just swapped out the stem and switch top between a Cherry Red and a Gateron Clear. In doing so, the switch with the Cherry bottom and original Red spring felt smoother than a typical Cherry Red.

thanks for giving it a go  :-*

yeah that's what I'm thinking. I think someone on the livestream said something about the contacts being bare on the gaterons, so maybe using a cherry bottom for the sake of longevity may even be beneficial, although of course it's hard to tell for sure at this point in time if that is true.

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #676 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 16:57:58 »
The declared amount for customs will default at either $20, or the actual amount if your order is less. PM Shadovved if you'd like to change the amount

Sorry for the confusion, but am I right to assume this message is for those individuals that have placed HUGE orders?

Edit. nvm, pm'd hwood and got a quick response. thanks

« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:18:04 by samsonite727 »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #677 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:00:07 »

Never received an invoice...did I miss something?
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #678 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:17:34 »
hasn't all gone out yet

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #679 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:18:07 »

Invoices will selectively start to go out now, the bulk will start happening Friday. Orders will still be open til the 12th and you stilll have til the 16th to pay invoices.
^
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #680 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:27:25 »
Also, a select few of you might be seeing shipping corrections around shipping time. We don't expect to have very many of these and are pretty confident with our current pricing, and the change shouldn't be more than $1 or so

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #681 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:56:06 »
Also, a select few of you might be seeing shipping corrections around shipping time. We don't expect to have very many of these and are pretty confident with our current pricing, and the change shouldn't be more than $1 or so

I got an an increase of 3.5, for a total of 13.5 for shipping and processing and I only ordered 150 switches. Just to make sure is that what the average rate is for shipping to California?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #682 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:57:32 »

I got an an increase of 3.5, for a total of 13.5 for shipping and processing and I only ordered 150 switches. Just to make sure is that what the average rate is for shipping to California?
Yeah, sorry, the whole mass invoicing thing is new to me, I missed some things the first time around. I forgot to add the GB fee the first time around, so most people should be seeing that change

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #683 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 18:04:19 »

Yeah, sorry, the whole mass invoicing thing is new to me, I missed some things the first time around. I forgot to add the GB fee the first time around, so most people should be seeing that change

sounds good, no problem

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #684 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 21:27:29 »
That's not strictly related to this GB but PayPal exchange rate is kinda "wow"  : 1 EUR = 1,07269 USD

:eek:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #685 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 21:29:21 »

Invoices will selectively start to go out now, the bulk will start happening Friday. Orders will still be open til the 12th and you stilll have til the 16th to pay invoices.
^

Thank you for helping my selective eyes XD
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #686 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 21:31:50 »
That's not strictly related to this GB but PayPal exchange rate is kinda "wow"  : 1 EUR = 1,07269 USD

Holy crap the eur is low

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #687 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 21:48:33 »

Holy crap the eur is low

Or you can also say that the US dollar exchange is high.

PS: 1 BRL = 0.34 USD but I don't even care, this GB is too good to let it pass.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #688 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 22:40:36 »
An update for the quantities would be very welcome, just before the end. Last minute orders may peak though.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #689 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:06:30 »
Done. Blacks are about to hit 30k :eek:. Too bad Gaterons next price tier is at 100k...

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #690 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:12:35 »
Payment remitted.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #691 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:43:39 »
Done. Blacks are about to hit 30k :eek:. Too bad Gaterons next price tier is at 100k...

No problem!  Just convert everyone's order to blacks ;)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #692 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:45:01 »

If only we were even at 100k total switches :p

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #693 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:47:10 »

We are getting close to 100k total! =)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #694 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:47:34 »

Out of curiosity, what is the price break at 100k?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #695 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:50:04 »

Out of curiosity, what is the price break at 100k?
it drops from 0.99 yuan to 0.98, sooo a fraction of a cent :p

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #696 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 00:13:01 »
How long will this go on?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #697 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 00:19:47 »
How long will this go on?

It's in the OP.

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #698 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 00:36:25 »

Offline tbc

« Reply #699 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 01:08:50 »

it's eerily similiar to a 30g topre. definitely different, but as close as 'mx' and topre are ever going to get.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.