Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 462549 times)

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #900 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 03:10:18 »

Too tired to upload images right now. Search for shipping and go to the second to last page. The original post said "shipping will be around $7-8 worldwide"

Idgaf if you think it's silly to assume that shipping would be that cheap. When I read that shipping will be "$7-8 worldwide" I expect it to be $7-8. OP dropped the ball on pricing. There was ZERO mention of variable rates and tracking fees in the original post. Kind of like how he didn't think of the cost of getting them shipped to him. This has been a complete s***show for the last few days. There's a reason why so many members have voiced negative opinions.

At this point the GH band of brothers always comes out and says "lol you only have 12 posts, f*** your opinion and go back to r/mk." This is the BS everyone was talking about in the live chat last weekend.

Okay. Sure this could have been a bit more thought out when wording everything and taking to account everything, but it wasn't, sorry.

Even if the ball was dropped on shipping in terms of mentioning there may be an increase in pricing when ordering more, no reason to make a HUGE deal of it and continue to fight about it with other members of GH.

Yea, it sucks to kind of be hit with all of the "additional" costs with shipping, but these are things that should have already been added to the original price of shipping/GB fees/whatever.

As for the "band of brothers" I have no real position here on GH. No "friends" / "buddies" / "brothers" so I have no ties to backing up anyone on whatever they say.
You have a valid point in the fact that things didnt go smooth and should have been more thought out. But we cant change that.

What we can do is ask questions, in a civil manner, and find out how the cost breaks down into and what YOUR money is going to. You have the right to know.

No reason to just fight over these questions with someone who is trying to help make sense of it all.

It's getting a bit tense with all the shipping confusion, so yea, i understand the attitude toward it right now but cmon guys.

I'm not trying to rip off hwood34 or Shadovved from their hard work. I just want transparent, itemized pricing. For their work, they get payment in the form of "GB Fee". If they wanted to charge more for the GB Fee, fine, just tell us about it. Don't try to bundle it in shipping costs.

And i' agree with you. None of us want to rip anyone off from their hard work. We should get CLEAR explanation of how the costs are being calculated and what it actually breaks down to.

I think this will solve the confusion and put to rest the unease people have when committing to the GB.

Once cleared up, people will feel better about paying all the additional costs since they'll know where their money is going to.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #901 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 03:27:58 »
don't pay the invoice! problem solved!

nobody here owes you anything. kick rocks

If it comes down to it, I won't. I never suggested anyone here owes me anything. I asked questions.

I didn't realize the GB community was so adverse to the concept of asking questions. Sorry.

EDIT: I'd like to pay the invoice. Well, I'd like to pay an invoice I understand rather. Just curious about conversion rates is all.
It's not the questions, it's the "I didn't get an answer right away so let me get my pitch fork" tone you have.

And try to remember that GB organizers get x100 PMs most people get... it's not easy to juggle all of that.

sit back, take a deep breath and see what they have to say.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Olson.dev

« Reply #902 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 03:52:35 »
It's not the questions, it's the "I didn't get an answer right away so let me get my pitch fork" tone you have.

And try to remember that GB organizers get x100 PMs most people get... it's not easy to juggle all of that.

sit back, take a deep breath and see what they have to say.

You misconstrue my tone; sorry you think I'm wielding a pitchfork. I asked Shadovved for clarification a few times via PM and was basically ignored each time. That is, he replied to my messages but neglected to address certain parts or didn't give concrete information. I understand Shadovved is busy with all kinds of PMs and can't reply in detail to every PM he gets, so I went to the forums to read up. I was about to pay till what information Shadovved gave me conflicted with what hwood34 posted: that it costs $12 for 200 switches (which he later corrected to $16... which is still possibly not right).

The deadline is a ways out; I'm not impatient for the answers. Never once did I imply I need them ASAP. Quite the opposite:

I'm just asking questions, man. We'll get this **** resolved before the deadline.

I don't have a pitchfork. I'm sitting back, calm, waiting patiently.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #903 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 04:04:31 »
Say no more!

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #904 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 04:10:47 »
Can someone pass me some popcorn? :))

"Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #905 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 04:31:45 »
Can someone pass me some popcorn? :))

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #906 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:09:09 »
Okay. Civil people. Here's listing down some answers I've summarised from pages of posts.......

1) Miscommunication between hwood and myself, he charged shipping that's slightly lower for those people that he invoiced, resulting in the differences between both our invoices. He will be rectifying that soon, by asking people to top up the difference. You can reduce your order if you desire, he should be able to handle it for you.

2) I am shipping via Intl Air Packets (airmail, contary to what you read, they allow boxes) + registered mail (aka tracking & signature required on receipt, which costs +2.5/package), and they do not allow packages larger than 2kg, hence many of those who ordered larger quantities have been billed WITHOUT shipping, because the price estimates go haywire after 2kg, and I'll need to go get the exact prices for the best way to send them their items.

3) Shipping costs include costs of materials as well, bubble wrap, ziplock bags, boxes (I'm getting the thick walled ones so they don't dent/crush during shipping, and NO I'M NOT USING BUBBLE MAILERS), tape, shipping labels etc etc, and any additional costs to travel and source for the stuffs and ship them (it is insignificant, but since people wanted to be clear, I had to mention. Or people will think that petrol comes free from wells in Singapore). The small difference will also buffer in case the packaging jacks up the cost of shipping, they weigh quite a bit together as well.

4) GB fee includes a $2 tip for us per order for sorting and packaging services, and the other 1.5 is for consolidated shipping from Gateron to Singapore for the switches and the 7% customs charges I'll get for importing the switches.

5) Please also bear in mind the 4% PayPal fee and currency conversion, banks don't use the Google rates.

6) The price you pay on your invoice includes everything above, I used to do GBs and ship stuff frequently, so I know most of the things that I need to include in my bills from the start, so they might look abit more than expected. BUT you do not have to worry about me slapping on additional charges when it's time to ship the packages, which you might have seen on other GBs.

EDIT: Before you think that the price is outrageous for such a cheap item, go quantify it by looking at a baggie of your own switches lying around. The percentage of the shipping might be really large in the invoice, but when you divide it out the cost becomes more realistic.

Any other burning questions?

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #907 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:29:16 »
Ohh ohh I have one question what will the packages be marked at as you know the UK has some crazy customs fees sometime should will they be marked lower? Not hugely fussed if you can't as I understand doing that would be illegal in some places :x
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #908 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:35:36 »
Ohh ohh I have one question what will the packages be marked at as you know the UK has some crazy customs fees sometime should will they be marked lower? Not hugely fussed if you can't as I understand doing that would be illegal in some places :x

Because I'm a nice and friendly person :D Every package I send to people are gifts to them......usually worth around $20, unless the package contains too much stuff that I might have to increase the value slightly.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #909 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:50:52 »

Okay. Civil people. Here's listing down some answers I've summarised from pages of posts.......

1) Miscommunication between hwood and myself, he charged shipping that's slightly lower for those people that he invoiced, resulting in the differences between both our invoices. He will be rectifying that soon, by asking people to top up the difference. You can reduce your order if you desire, he should be able to handle it for you.

2) I am shipping via Intl Air Packets (airmail, contary to what you read, they allow boxes) + registered mail (aka tracking & signature required on receipt, which costs +2.5/package), and they do not allow packages larger than 2kg, hence many of those who ordered larger quantities have been billed WITHOUT shipping, because the price estimates go haywire after 2kg, and I'll need to go get the exact prices for the best way to send them their items.

3) Shipping costs include costs of materials as well, bubble wrap, ziplock bags, boxes (I'm getting the thick walled ones so they don't dent/crush during shipping, and NO I'M NOT USING BUBBLE MAILERS), tape, shipping labels etc etc, and any additional costs to travel and source for the stuffs and ship them (it is insignificant, but since people wanted to be clear, I had to mention. Or people will think that petrol comes free from wells in Singapore). The small difference will also buffer in case the packaging jacks up the cost of shipping, they weigh quite a bit together as well.

4) GB fee includes a $2 tip for us per order for sorting and packaging services, and the other 1.5 is for consolidated shipping from Gateron to Singapore for the switches and the 7% customs charges I'll get for importing the switches.

5) Please also bear in mind the 4% PayPal fee and currency conversion, banks don't use the Google rates.

6) The price you pay on your invoice includes everything above, I used to do GBs and ship stuff frequently, so I know most of the things that I need to include in my bills from the start, so they might look abit more than expected. BUT you do not have to worry about me slapping on additional charges when it's time to ship the packages, which you might have seen on other GBs.

Thanks for posting this.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline vindaon

« Reply #910 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:53:04 »
Lotta drama over shipping prices. Looks like shadovved addressed most of it. Gotta admit, when I first saw shipping cost I was surprised. But the thing is, even factoring in shipping costs, this is still one of  the cheapest option you have to buy Gaterons.

So if you're complaining about shipping being higher than expected and don't wanna pay the invoice that's your choice. You wanna go buy somewhere else only to find it's more expensive to buy the same amount of switches that's your choice. But I think you're shooting yourself in the foot. My $.02 (+ .01 posting cost)

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #911 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:05:50 »

I always appreciate the details. Thank you for posting this. I think this will help people understand the shipping cost.

Also - I'm not sure if everyone gets this... but even with the higher shipping charges you're still getting these switches for less than Massdrop.

For a total of 370 switches / clear tops my invoice broke down like this:

$62.70 goods + $3.50 GB Fee + $26.00 Shipping + $3.46 PP = $92.16

$92.16 / 370 = $.25 per switch to your door

At MD it was something like this for 360 switches:

$104.97 goods + $10 (maybe it was 11?) Shipping = $114.97

$114.97 / 360 = $.32 per switch to your door

EDIT: As Shadovved just pointed out... the $10 or $11 I would've paid for shipping is only US. It would have most likely been much higher for Intl folks.

Plus... with this GB you have the flexibility of getting the exact number of switches you want and getting clear switch tops. You're not limited to getting 120 of each switch type minimum.

Just my two cents...

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:09:41 by awhitedev »

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #912 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:05:59 »
Lotta drama over shipping prices. Looks like shadovved addressed most of it. Gotta admit, when I first saw shipping cost I was surprised. But the thing is, even factoring in shipping costs, this is still one of  the cheapest option you have to buy Gaterons.

So if you're complaining about shipping being higher than expected and don't wanna pay the invoice that's your choice. You wanna go buy somewhere else only to find it's more expensive to buy the same amount of switches that's your choice. But I think you're shooting yourself in the foot. My $.02 (+ .01 posting cost)

Thanks for reminding me, I edited that in as well.

This percentage thingy was a great concern as well.

And yes, please remember than MD shipping is for CONUS, not Intl.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #913 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:13:21 »
At least everything get sorted out for the better.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #914 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:17:55 »

Show Image

I lold for real

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #915 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:34:09 »
Holy crap the drama here is real.im going back to the clear tops thread.

Hold me nubbs
Hi :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #916 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:38:52 »

Show Image

I'm in the bathroom and lol'd.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #917 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:40:16 »
S/O to Shadovved and hwood for doing this and keeping communication clear. I paid my invoice and happily and patiently waiting now. :)

Good luck guys!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #918 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:34:43 »
Looks like everyone had some fun while I was away ^-^
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #919 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:39:53 »
Around 20 for international shipping looks pretty normal.

Darn, looks like interest in the blues plateaued and now browns are at 20k. Darn me changing my order to only blues. I don't wanna bug hwood to change my order anymore though.  :(
bug me as much as you want ;)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Olson.dev

« Reply #920 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 11:13:45 »

EDIT: Before you think that the price is outrageous for such a cheap item, go quantify it by looking at a baggie of your own switches lying around. The percentage of the shipping might be really large in the invoice, but when you divide it out the cost becomes more realistic.

Thanks for answering my burning questions. I'm supposed to kiss you now, I guess. :-*

Also, I'll "pay the ****ing man" now. I "paid the ****ing man." :cool:

Just one comment: Banks might not use Google rates but PayPal and Google are reasonably close:

So, PayPal is 1 SGD : 1.34490066632 USD. Or 1 USD : 0.74354933791 SGD.
Whereas Google suggested 1 SGD : 1.37809911926 USD. Or 1 USD : 0.725637210 SGD.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 11:23:10 by Olson.dev »

Offline joey

« Reply #921 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 11:15:03 »
I was quick to judge before, I read all the shipping details now.

Invoice paid, thanks hwood and Shadovved.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #922 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 11:27:04 »

Because I'm a nice and friendly person :D Every package I send to people are gifts to them......usually worth around $20, unless the package contains too much stuff that I might have to increase the value slightly.
^_^ thank you
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #923 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 14:19:02 »

Thanks for taking the time to clear everything up :)

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #924 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 14:22:23 »

Just a heads up, if you have credit card linked to your paypal account you can change the conversion option so that card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate instead of paypal.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #925 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 15:28:17 »

Hold me nubbs

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #926 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 15:39:06 »

Hold me nubbs

Show Image

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #927 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:02:56 »
Hi :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #928 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:03:19 »

Just a heads up, if you have credit card linked to your paypal account you can change the conversion option so that card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate instead of paypal.
That is probably a good idea.

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #929 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:08:13 »
Eyy shadovved. When do I get my mail about the switches?

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #930 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:47:52 »

Since orders close on March 12, I would assume all invoice will be sent by then.

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #931 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 16:51:04 »

Since orders close on March 12, I would assume all invoice will be sent by then.
OK I'll wait

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #932 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 21:09:51 »
Paid my invoice of 600 switches :O

shipping was....a lot but the switches still came out really cheap.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #933 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 22:30:55 »

I should have invoiced everyone by now, if you still have not gotten your invoice, please PM me.

It might be due to that you didn't fill out some details correctly.

Offline Natemiester

« Reply #934 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 22:50:12 »
Just paid for my 190 switches! So awesome! Thank you guys so much for doing this.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #935 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 22:51:45 »
Joined today, got my invoice a few minutes back, paid up.

Thanks for running this, I hope everything goes smoothly  :cool:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #936 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:05:20 »
Sorry I can't reply to any PMs right now, hit my hourly limit. I'll get back to everyone once it resets

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #937 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:09:49 »
Lets get some more orders for browns in.  :P

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #938 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:10:58 »

Nope haven't got anything. Gonna pm you

I should have invoiced everyone by now, if you still have not gotten your invoice, please PM me.

It might be due to that you didn't fill out some details correctly.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:13:21 by leandre.north »

Offline Sirakain

« Reply #939 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 09:13:16 »
Registered just for this GB!

100 browns, 100 blacks for me :)

Thanks hwood and Shadovved!

Edit: Invoice paid!
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:26:18 by Sirakain »

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #940 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 09:19:31 »
Still waiting for invoice

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #941 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 11:41:54 »
Not seeing an order from you, could you resubmit?

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #942 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 12:48:06 »
Shadovved fixed it

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #943 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:38:24 »
Shadovved fixed it

I am really impressed by how fast and well Shadovved is handling communications.

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #944 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:39:40 »
Shadovved fixed it

I am really impressed by how fast and well Shadovved is handling communications.
Almost as fast as Sanic.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #945 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:49:05 »
Shadovved fixed it

Almost as fast as Sanic.
blessed be he our ogre lord and onion king shrek

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #946 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 14:49:19 »
Shadovved fixed it
Almost as fast as Sanic.

Offline leandre.north

« Reply #947 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:02:16 »
Hwood: what is you favourite Gateron switches?

I ordered 70 blues for my custom 60% and 30 clears for god knows what :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #948 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:04:52 »
Hwood: what is you favourite Gateron switches?

I ordered 70 blues for my custom 60% and 30 clears for god knows what :)
Hmm, tough one. I'm always partial to clicky switches, so it would probably have to be blues

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #949 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:06:26 »
Finally put my order in.
Azerty Propagandiste