Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 462418 times)

Offline Red_dino

• #FREEGUCCI
Re: [GB] Gateron Switch
« Reply #1750 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 14:53:22 »
Anyone else's switches go through/get stuck in Opa Locka, FL? It is, quite possibly, the worst USPS distribution center in the entire US, so naturally it's the one my package got sent to.
I don't sleep, because sleep is the cousin of death.

Offline Natemiester

« Reply #1751 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 14:56:44 »
Got my switches! Everything was as ordered, many thanks to hwood and especially Shadovvod ;D

Anyone know if I'm good to cut the PCB pins off these?
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 14:58:33 by Natemiester »

Offline Olson.dev

« Reply #1752 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 15:16:40 »
Got my package today.

Ordered 100 Brown - check!  :thumb:
Ordered 90 Clear - got 89.  :-\
Ordered 90 Black - got 88.  :(

I appreciate the fast turnaround time but I would have gladly waited longer for accuracy. Thanks though.

Offline Olson.dev

« Reply #1753 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 15:22:08 »

This was talked about much earlier in the thread. Yes, you can plate mount them if you do that.

See https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68943.msg1646588#msg1646588 and the few messages immediately after.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 15:24:59 by Olson.dev »

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1754 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 15:35:12 »
Got my package today.

I appreciate the fast turnaround time but I would have gladly waited longer for accuracy. Thanks though.
Shadovved have said long ago that he would be using an electronic scale to sort the switches by weight. This method can be very inaccurate sometimes. That's why I bought more switches than I need, exactly to avoid this.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1755 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:00:54 »
Got mine today.  First impressions:

Clears:  do these even have a spring in them?  A little gritty feeling.

Blacks:  heavy spring, heavier than Cherry Blacks and, from memory, Clears.  Not as smooth as I was expecting.  They felt a little gritty to me too.  They're more stable, but not buttery smooth.  Still nice.

I'll probably do more detailed impressions once I get the ones from the giveaway (were those supposed to be in the box?).

They seem pretty nice though.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1756 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:01:46 »
Got my package today.

Shadovved have said long ago that he would be using an electronic scale to sort the switches by weight. This method can be very inaccurate sometimes. That's why I bought more switches than I need, exactly to avoid this.

Glad I ordered 90 for my 87-key!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1757 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:02:19 »
Got my switches! Everything was as ordered, many thanks to hwood and especially Shadovvod ;D

They're your switches, you can do what you want with them.

Offline mycroft

« Reply #1758 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:03:45 »
Shadovved you rock.

Switches arrived.

Offline Natemiester

« Reply #1759 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:08:10 »

What I meant was, will it mess up the switches to do so?

Offline Olson.dev

« Reply #1760 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:16:01 »
Got my package today.

That's fair, I understand; I have more than I need, just bummed a little is all.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1761 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:17:46 »

If you mount them in a plate,  the two pcb pins are not needed and can be cut without any ill effect.

I have a plate mount board but a pcb that has holes for the extra supports, so I keep them on.

Offline Natemiester

« Reply #1762 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:45:40 »

If you mount them in a plate,  the two pcb pins are not needed and can be cut without any ill effect.

I have a plate mount board but a pcb that has holes for the extra supports, so I keep them on.
sweet! thanks

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #1763 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:50:00 »
Just got mine in. Thanks Shadow and hwood!

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1764 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:57:52 »
Just got mine... wow those blacks are smooth!

I ordered 300 blacks... received 297...  within expected variance...

I ordered 70 clear tops... received 63... kinda annoyed, that's 10%!
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 17:06:37 by awhitedev »

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #1765 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 17:29:33 »

Decisions decisions.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1766 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 17:56:22 »
Blacks:  heavy spring, heavier than Cherry Blacks and, from memory, Clears.  Not as smooth as I was expecting.  They felt a little gritty to me too.  They're more stable, but not buttery smooth.  Still nice.
Are you comparing against vintage or worn-in Cherry MX? When I tested, I found them to be more smooth than brand new switches but less smooth than my vintage switches.

When I placed a new Cherry MX Black switch against a Gateron Black and pressed together, the Gateron started moving first indicating that it has a lighter starting resistance.

Offline domoe

« Reply #1767 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:02:10 »
Anyone else's switches go through/get stuck in Opa Locka, FL? It is, quite possibly, the worst USPS distribution center in the entire US, so naturally it's the one my package got sent to.

Mine didn't go through Opa Locka, but I've had a package get stuck there in the past. They really suck.  Hope your switches come soon!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1768 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:02:42 »
Gotta love the USPS.  My package was a few hours away from my house then they decided to send it to Kentucky?

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1769 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:06:16 »
Blacks:  heavy spring, heavier than Cherry Blacks and, from memory, Clears.
Is this consistent throughout multiple switches? Rip-O-Meter says same as MX Black.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1770 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:10:37 »
Are you comparing against vintage or worn-in Cherry MX? When I tested, I found them to be more smooth than brand new switches but less smooth than my vintage switches.

When I placed a new Cherry MX Black switch against a Gateron Black and pressed together, the Gateron started moving first indicating that it has a lighter starting resistance.

I just did this with browns and the gaterons seem to have a slightly stiffer spring, but much more friction on the bump than vintage browns

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1771 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:11:38 »

I usually use used Black switches, whether you want to call them vintage or broken in.  They don't seem much better than the ones in my QFR, but they are a little better.  When I press them slowly, it does feel almost like there's a thin layer of dust or plastic powder or something in them, making them gritty.  It's not bad (more noticeable on the Clears), but they were hyped so much that I expected them to feel like Krytox lubed Blacks. Fake Edit:  I just played with them and if you hit the Gaterons head on, perfectly straight up and down, they're very smooth.  If you hit them off center, they get that gritty feel.

I was going from memory in at lunch time with the Black springs, so I could be off, but they did feel heavy to me.  Not in a bad way though. Fake edit:  I just tried the unscientific test you tried.  Maybe it's because the Blacks are used or on a plate, but the Cherry Blacks moved a little first, then the Gateron Blacks moved, then it was the Cherry Black again.

I'm interested to see how the Blues are when I get the ones from the giveaway.

Fake edits because I typed the comment, went away, came back and added impressions before posting.

Blacks:  heavy spring, heavier than Cherry Blacks and, from memory, Clears.
Is this consistent throughout multiple switches? Rip-O-Meter says same as MX Black.

In my unscientific testing (then again, the Rip-O-Meter is scientific), yes.  That could be the result of used vs new though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:13:22 by nubbinator »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1772 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:19:51 »

Mine didn't go through Opa Locka, but I've had a package get stuck there in the past. They really suck.  Hope your switches come soon!

Yes they are the worst.  I dread any time one of my package is processed through there.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1773 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:27:48 »
Also, for those of you who want to keep the PCB stabilizer legs on the switches, there's a quicker way to make the switches PCB ready.  When looking at the switches, I noticed three points on each leg.  I theorized that those three points are what are causing the leg to be too big.  For reference, here's a rough paint-o-shop.  The problem areas are the pink spots:

If you look closely at the switch, you'll see three parts not unlike the little nibs on the wheels that turned cassette tapes (if you remember those).  All you need to make them fit is take out your Xacto knife, press the blade against the nib, and scrape up once or twice.  That action shaves enough off the nib to make it fit without issue.  It's also much, much faster than disassembling and sanding.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1774 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:35:20 »
I don't know what y'all talking about.  Mine fit into the PCB just fine without modification.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1775 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:38:09 »
I don't know what y'all talking about.  Mine fit into the PCB just fine without modification.

They wouldn't fit without forcing into my unused Butterfly PCB.  Can't help it if your holes are a little worn out and/or loose.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1776 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:46:41 »

They wouldn't fit without forcing into my unused Butterfly PCB.  Can't help it if your holes are a little worn out and/or loose.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1777 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 18:57:43 »
Yep, fit well into my GH60 clone as well.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #1778 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 19:08:28 »
Just wanted to say I got my switches today.  Thanks to the groupbuy organizers and everyone else who made this happen.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #1779 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 19:12:11 »
People, please tell me the reason why you want those switches? What are the features? The named features I've read so far are: "magical". ;-)
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 20:07:04 by Eszett »

Offline potatowire

« Reply #1780 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 19:32:27 »
Got my switches today, thanks Shadovved!

For the sake of the weight/count question, I ordered 300 blacks, and they came in two bags of 150. One bag was perfect, and the other was three short. No complaints...

As for the feel, they are suuuuuuuper smooth. I will know better tomorrow after I handwire a keyboard to properly test them.

Offline Slaine777

« Reply #1781 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 19:39:59 »
I feel your pain.  I'm having a problem with the post office at the moment.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1782 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 20:12:59 »
People, please tell me why do you buy those switches? What are the features? The named features I've read so far are: "magical". ;-)
I bought them because Cherry is out of stock everywhere

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1783 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 20:23:59 »
People, please tell me the reason why you want those switches? What are the features? The named features I've read so far are: "magical". ;-)

I like Gateron Blacks more than Cherry Blacks for two reasons:

1) Gateron Blacks are noticeably smoother than Cherry Blacks. There is no scratchy or rubbing feeling like there is with Cherry.
2) Gateron Blacks have consistently quiet and smooth springs whereas maybe 1 out of every 10 Cherry Blacks have a springy sound / feeling. (something I've noticed anyways)

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #1784 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 21:14:52 »
Mine apparently has departed since 21st and is still somewhere out there. =P
I'd rather they be stuck in customs or a sorting facility, at least I would know they are on land lol.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1785 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 21:20:11 »

I like Gateron Blacks more than Cherry Blacks for two reasons:

1) Gateron Blacks are noticeably smoother than Cherry Blacks. There is no scratchy or rubbing feeling like there is with Cherry.
2) Gateron Blacks have consistently quiet and smooth springs whereas maybe 1 out of every 10 Cherry Blacks have a springy sound / feeling. (something I've noticed anyways)

Glad I got blacks and blues.

Offline evera

« Reply #1786 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 21:22:28 »
I'd rather they be stuck in customs or a sorting facility, at least I would know they are on land lol.

My USPS page has looked like this all week... haha.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1787 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 21:29:36 »
The housings are white and I am building a custom keyboard that is white...
Other than that, I am interested in trying them out.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1788 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 21:42:05 »

My USPS page has looked like this all week... haha.

that means it's still in customs.  I hate when it gets stuck in customs.  They sometimes inexplicably sit on it for weeks.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #1789 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 21:47:21 »
Aparantly the USPS guy didn't knock today. I know this because my 3 dogs go NUTS when someone knocks. Going to have to wait till monday. Gettin' the Gat sweats over here! It's fine though, as I still don't know which switches are going where!

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #1790 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 00:47:45 »
Got my switches today, thanks Shadovved!

For the sake of the weight/count question, I ordered 300 blacks, and they came in two bags of 150. One bag was perfect, and the other was three short. No complaints...

As for the feel, they are suuuuuuuper smooth. I will know better tomorrow after I handwire a keyboard to properly test them.

I use an electronic balance to weigh the switches, uncertainty is around +-2. Sorry about that :(

Offline Sirakain

« Reply #1791 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 04:09:49 »
Got my switches today, was missing 2 but it's okay I took extras :D

Thanks again Shadovved and hwood34 for the GB!

Offline panrc

« Reply #1792 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 05:24:09 »
Found my switches on the doorstep today, nice surprise.
Thanks for running this guys.

Offline Olson.dev

« Reply #1793 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 07:56:41 »
Aparantly the USPS guy didn't knock today. I know this because my 3 dogs go NUTS when someone knocks. Going to have to wait till monday. Gettin' the Gat sweats over here! It's fine though, as I still don't know which switches are going where!

My elderly mailwoman rang the doorbell once; I was in my downstairs office. By the time I made it to the front door, she was in her vehicle stuffing things into my mailbox and driving away. One of those things was a fully filled out "Sorry we just missed you!" card. By the amount of text she wrote on that card, I know damn well she filled it out before even approaching my house. I work from home so I'm used to these ****heads (USPS, UPS, FedEx; they're all the same) assuming no one's home in the middle of the day... still annoying everytime though. Packages that require signatures are usually the best packages. :)

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1794 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 08:25:12 »

My elderly mailwoman rang the doorbell once; I was in my downstairs office. By the time I made it to the front door, she was in her vehicle stuffing things into my mailbox and driving away. One of those things was a fully filled out "Sorry we just missed you!" card. By the amount of text she wrote on that card, I know damn well she filled it out before even approaching my house. I work from home so I'm used to these ****heads (USPS, UPS, FedEx; they're all the same) assuming no one's home in the middle of the day... still annoying everytime though. Packages that require signatures are usually the best packages. :)

My mail man did the same thing... The only shipping company I've been impressed with lately is DHL... but not many things come from them.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #1795 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:22:35 »

Aw geeze, that's lame! Had to run a couple blocks in a button down and slacks to flag down my guy when the last HKP caps arrived!

Offline Permeability

« Reply #1796 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:50:33 »
Got mine today, thanks Shadovved and hwood for your hard work!
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline samsonite727

« Reply #1797 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:14:33 »
Anyone from Canada (toronto), has gotten their switches? I think mine are stuck in customs  :(

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1798 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:41:29 »
Getting my switches delivered today.
Quick delivery :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.