Author Topic: [IC] GMK S'mores | UPDATED  (Read 8885 times)

Offline turkishmeow

[IC] GMK S'mores | UPDATED
« on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 14:19:28 »
GMK S'MORES

Hello everyone! This is the first keycap set I've designed
Keycap set to pay homage to all those cozy memories sitting by an open fire (or stove),roasting marshmallows, and making S'mores.

Color Layout: Like when you squish the s'mores together you see the marshmallow and chocolate oozing out.

IC FORM: https://forms.gle/E2PabxFVTFPgbu266
Please fill out this form if you're interested! 

Discord: There will be a discord if there is enough people interested in this Design!

Colors
Please keep in mind that everyone's monitor is different. This is an idea of what the colors will look like.
Waiting on another Pantone guide to finalize the colors
We were able to finalize the colors with the Pantone & RAL guide! We're looking into RAL to see if we'll find a match

GLVE[/img]

Base Kit

Alt Alphas

Spacebars

Novelties

Deskmat
Art by: abigailtan21

Vendors
TBA

Renders (Click to enlarge)

Ikki68 Aurora by Wuque Studio

Fuji65 by CMM Studio

Nemui by Bachoo

Old Renders
More
U80-A by Rama Works

Haus by Hand Engineering

To-Do List:
Add/Remove anything to improve set from feedback
Finish Novelties and create renders for novelties, spacebars, accents, etc.
Color match
Create IC form after improvements
Look for Vendors
Possible Collabs (You can message or email if you want to collab)

UPDATE
11/19/21 | Base Kit: Added 40s 3-Key support, Alice B, F13, Removed "00" | Will continue to work on kitting
11/23/21 | Fixed Alt Alphas and Spacebars

11/30/21 | Added Novelties and Deskmat designs & Finalized colors
12/14/21 | Made new renders with novelties

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 December 2021, 14:34:33 by turkishmeow »

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
Re: [IC] GMK S'mores
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 14:32:08 »
Kitting could really use some work. You show hiragana subs in board renders but don't have that on any of your kits. You don't have your colors listed, which makes me worried that you have not selected color references (pantone/ral) and are just using hex codes.

Please put this set back over the open fire and continue cooking it, it's still raw.

Edit:
Waiting on another Pantone guide to finalize the colors
Either you have Pantone Coated reference guide or you don't. If you don't have the guide in your hands, then don't list pantone colors.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 November 2021, 22:07:55 by Cylent »

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 14:44:04 »
On top of what Cylent said, your alt base should either be alt alphas or a full second base kit. I also would not recommend posting an IC here before your child kits are completed. At the very least all but novelties should be done.

Edit: there's not even an IC form...
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 November 2021, 14:51:33 by dededecline »

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 16:23:33 »
It sounds about like you know what needs to be worked on with this set, but I would recommend completing most if not all of your "to do" list before posting this as a geekhack IC.
It's just a base kit and alt alphas... I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be giving feedback on.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 18:31:34 »
Geekhack needs to have ICs approved, change my mind

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 18:36:28 »

people post ICs with no images trying to garner interest in a concept and get **** on

people post ICs with images trying to just post a set and get feedback, they get **** on

no perfect solution
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 21:05:21 »
why is the gram cracker color in the middle, shouldnt it be on the sides like in a smore and have the marshmallow in between? Also you gotta have colors finalized. Finally, your kitting is a mess, i think it just the default krk kitting, no 3 key 40s, has uk iso, 00 in base, other shifts are nonexistant, no hhkb support, all you added was extra arrows, and you dont gave alice bars anywhere. please take a look at other gmk kits to get a better idea of kitting for gmk

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 21:39:09 »

people post ICs with no images trying to garner interest in a concept and get **** on

people post ICs with images trying to just post a set and get feedback, they get **** on

no perfect solution

Isn't there a different subforum here on geekhack for people who want feedback on an initial concept? TBH if you want early feedback there are half a dozen discord servers where you can go to do that.

However, if you post an IC, there are expectations, at the very least, that you have:
-kitting, even if it needs to be polished
-selected colors from a color reference guide or stock colors
-some board renders

Offline Eoen

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 21:50:53 »
Honest question - not trying to **** post...Why are the marshmallows on the outside of the s'more?

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 21:59:29 »
Honest question - not trying to **** post...Why are the marshmallows on the outside of the s'more?
Thats what I said

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 22:16:43 »
Hi, thanks for posting colors and kits.

For colors, if you don't have pantone coated in your hands, please do not show colors selected. Hex codes are lies. Pantone's approximation of hex to "closest" pantone is also a lie.

Base kit
-change alpha esc to mod esc
-add alice b
-minimum add 2.25u and 2u shift
-there are other things to consider in a GMK base kit, like which iso you prefer (rn you have UK iso) and 3-key 40s support, but what I pointed out are the basics

Spacebars
-the 3u is useless without another 3u
-iirc you do not need both 1us

Offline clickyblob

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 23:30:40 »
Thats what I said

might be an unpopular opinion, but personally, I think the design looks better with the marshmallows on the outside! it kind of feels to me like the marshmallow is oozing out. Looks more like a smore this way I think.

Offline turkishmeow

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 23:40:33 »

TBH! I thought about it a lot on which color would be the alphas.
I decided to go with the Graham cracker color because it's more prevalent. Like when you squish the s'mores together you see the marshmallow and chocolate coming out.
Plus I wanted to make sure it didn't look similar to other designs.

Offline turkishmeow

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 00:02:56 »
Hi, thanks for posting colors and kits.

For colors, if you don't have pantone coated in your hands, please do not show colors selected. Hex codes are lies. Pantone's approximation of hex to "closest" pantone is also a lie.

Base kit
-change alpha esc to mod esc
-add alice b
-minimum add 2.25u and 2u shift
-there are other things to consider in a GMK base kit, like which iso you prefer (rn you have UK iso) and 3-key 40s support, but what I pointed out are the basics

Spacebars
-the 3u is useless without another 3u
-iirc you do not need both 1us

Hi, Thank you so much for the constructive feedback!
I understand that this IC needs a lot more work, so now I have a better understanding on what's expected to start an IC.
I shall work on fixing the kitting, getting the correct pantone color, and cook this a little better.

Offline Walkis

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 18:19:18 »
Glad you're reassessing the kitting and waiting until you have the pantones in your hands before moving forward. That aside, I do like the concept and how the alphas are gram-cracker colored. There are plenty of sets with white alphas and I feel like the gram-cracker brown is a much more unique way to convey the theme.  :thumb:

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 00:56:27 »
I decided to go with the Graham cracker color because it's more prevalent. Like when you squish the s'mores together you see the marshmallow and chocolate coming out.

I was actually irrationally upset that the marshmallow color was not on the "inside" at first - but after this explanation, I'm fully on board with the decision.  Nice work.

Offline WonWon

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 02:50:02 »
I actually really like this. For a first keycap set design, I think this has a lot of potential and think you're doing a great job. I'll be looking forward to the revisions and updates!

Offline stevenT

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 20:53:26 »
I heard it from somewhere that gmk worked better with RAL, that's why most of IC uses RAL or GMK default colors, maybe you should consider that.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 22:23:04 »
Last time I checked,
the marshmallows do not go on the outside
And the cracker thingies are on the outside

So it does not make sense that you have the cracker part inside and the marshmallow outside

From Anuj and treeleaf
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 23:03:02 »
Last time I checked,
the marshmallows do not go on the outside
And the cracker thingies are on the outside

So it does not make sense that you have the cracker part inside and the marshmallow outside

From Anuj and treeleaf

The idea, I believe, is that the marshmallow is oozing out the side after being smooshed.

Offline turkishmeow

Re: [IC] GMK S'mores | UPDATED
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 16:10:14 »
Update: Added Novelties and Deskmat designs & Finalized colors

Offline turkishmeow

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 16:27:10 »
I heard it from somewhere that gmk worked better with RAL, that's why most of IC uses RAL or GMK default colors, maybe you should consider that.

Thank you for the feedback! We looked into it after we saw your comment ^^

I was actually irrationally upset that the marshmallow color was not on the "inside" at first - but after this explanation, I'm fully on board with the decision.  Nice work.

Well, we're happy to see that you like the idea after the explanation!
We also added the idea of S'mo Marshmallow into the IC form to see if the community would want the other idea.

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 20:47:44 »
camera angle on novelty render is wack, but nice improvements, kitting much better!

Offline Serval

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 12:02:57 »
Love the color of the set + deskmat looks cute. GLWIC!

Offline turkishmeow

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 15:55:00 »
Finally got a good day with sunlight to take a photo of the colors!

Offline turkishmeow

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 14:38:06 »
Update

Added some new renders with Novelties and Deskmat

Offline djbakasan

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 21:21:18 »
Fan of the novelties and the deskmats.  The colors appeal to me but are strongly reminiscent of the recent GMK Tiramisu.  Alphas have a clearer/brighter white tone, so I can easily see the differences but it's not hard to see that the comparisons will be made.  I bought in on Tiramisu in fact and for that reason alone, I'm likely to skip on this even though it does appeal.