Author Topic: [IC] CYBERBOARD Terminal  (Read 14992 times)

Offline Crazy Designers

[IC] CYBERBOARD Terminal
« on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 23:16:37 »
Angry Miao CYBERBOARD Terminal

284841-0

To accommodate the release of our transparent black keycaps in December 2021, we also came up with a fancy transparent black version of our CYBERBOARD.

Casually changing the color of Glacier keycaps doesn't sound like a great idea, so we had to come up with a plan. We realized that transparent keyboards are getting more and more popular, but also that there hasn't been any serious attempt at creating one.

Could look and feel be combined together without compromise? We strived to combine a transparent black shell with cool lighting effects, while also achieving that great feel that's expected in this gasket-era of mechanical keyboards.

Inspired by Terminal

284843-1

By matching black with green for that geeky feel, while also integrating a sense of playfulness, we went and turned black and green into a custom lighting effect.

Terminal's main lighting effect is Digital Rain. Some of our users imagined creating a lighting effect where the LED panel would display the currently typed letter in real time or with a small delay. But actually, displaying letters on the LED panel doesn't look that great to begin with, and also could pose a security issue when entering passwords. Therefore, we materialized horizontal Digital Rain, where each flowing line of code incorporates an afterimage-like effect by the use of gradients.

284845-2

Transparent black from its core

The most common way to achieve a transparent color effect with PC material is to use fully transparent PC as base material, and then dye it.

But for the ultimate transparent black effect with maximum durability, the best choice is to use pre-colored base material.

We specially customized our PC base material into transparent black, which doesn't need to be re-dyed. Since less processing is required, higher density and hardness is achieved, while deformation is minimized. There's no need to worry about wear or durability issues.

PC material gasket mount (WIP)

Our original plan was to release this keyboard in March 2022.

Our new gasket is different from all other keyboards released so far. Let's take a look at the picture. Can you see the difference?

284847-3

Black mirror PVD stainless steel weight plate (WIP)

The high-gloss PVD steel surface contrasts beautifully with the matte body. Through our experience with PVD, we were able to achieve an advanced contrast between matte black PC material and mirror-like stainless steel.

284849-4 284851-5

Because we're not pursuing a unibody design (one-piece aluminium body), the yield rate during mass production is much higher. Stainless steel is used for PVD, which normally should make it easier, but achieving ultra-high gloss on such a large flat surface is still challenging. We're working on improving it, but being 100% flawless is impossible.

We'll get there eventually. Just look at our matte aluminium unibody.

284853-6

PVD processed stainless steel looks amazing. The surface is smooth and the reflection is just something else.

284855-7

But shiny deep black stainless steel highlights, combined with the matte black PC material, look even better.

284857-8

The bad part is that you can't see it when the keyboard is placed on a table... Oh, and we've also reinforced the feet to avoid wear and tear.

Additional information

Many people have already received their Glacier Keycap Sets and are really satisfied with them.

With a transparent black keyboard, transparent black keycaps, Digital Rain lighting effect, CYBERBOARD Terminal is all about the looks. Therefore, when selecting the right switches for this board, appearance comes first. That's why we went with Kiwi Switches. Looking forward to seeing whether you will keep them stock or upgrade to another switch!

Besides, the keycaps used in the Base Kit are character-only keys. We decided against including Novelties such as the cat and snowflake, because we feel they don't match the geeky theme we want to express with Terminal.

284859-9

April 20 update

285310-10

We have officially set CYBERBOARD Terminal's launch date! CYBERBOARD Terminal will be released on April 27, 2022 at 5 am PDT on angrymiao.com/cyberboard-terminal.

Earlier on we shared a picture of our new gasket and some of you already noticed some of the changes we implemented. We're still working on improving it, and will reveal all changes we made on April 27. In the meantime, why not take a look at our CYBERBOARD Terminal Typing Test video, where we demonstrate our WIP Gasket Mount.

One interesting thing we found out when matching switches for our bundle, is that the Kiwi switches provide the look we want, but their typing sound experience still left us wanting more when it came to the space bar. During testing, we found out that our own Icy Silver switches when used with the space bar provide the typing sound we're looking for. Therefore, we're including an additional Icy Silver switch with the final version of the Terminal bundle.

285312-11

We've also redesigned our carrying case specially for CYBERBOARD Terminal. Its black and green color scheme really takes it to the next level.

285314-12

April 28 update

285570-13

We're ready! CYBERBOARD Terminal will be available worldwide through Angry Miao's official website (angrymiao.com) in limited quantities, starting April 28, 2022 at 10:00 am (PDT).

285572-14
Image by @Da R

As we keep iterating on CYBERBOARD, we've developed a new gasket. It's now crafted out of PC material, which not only ensures a good typing experience, but also allows us to further refine the materials and appearance on the inside of the board. Different from previous iterations of our Gasket Mount, level 10 silicone hardness is used. The silicone is integrated with the plate through in-mould injection, which not only looks more transparent by blending in with the keyboard's overall design, but also makes it sound less hollow and gives it a more solid feel.

285574-15

The integrated plate and integrated silicone pads provide a more "consistent" internal structure. Gaps are less pronounced than in a conventional structure.

285576-16 285578-17

Unlike metal, semi-transparent PC material brings an extremely cool RGB lighting effect experience. However, to achieve the same substantial feel as when using metal, a counterweight needs to be used.

285580-18
Image by @hyst

The counterweight used in CYBERBOARD Terminal features a radical design, with the weight plate being visible from the outside. Its mirror PVD stainless steel surface occupies most of the bottom area. Exposed reflective stainless steel forms a stark yet dazzling contrast with the matte PC material.

285582-19
Image by @Ailan

And last but not least, here's the pricing and an overview of what's included with the Bundle:

Pricing
Base Kit: 600USD
Bundle (engraved/non-engraved): 810USD

Bundle contains
EQUALZ Kiwi tactile switches
EQUALZ Kiwi screw-in stabilizers
Angry Miao Glacier Dark version engraved/non-engraved keycaps (novelties not included)
*An additional Angry Miao Icy Silver switch is included for use with the space bar.

Available in limited quantities starting April 28, 2022 at 10:00 am (PDT) on Angry Miao's official website (angrymiao.com)

Above is our current progress on CYBERBOARD Terminal. We will update this thread when we have more information to share!
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2022, 02:23:42 by Crazy Designers »
Future Art Community.

Offline of_sam

Re: [IC] CYBERBOARD Terminal
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 23:18:22 »
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline AshF

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 02:19:56 »
Wow, real nice.
I hope there is ISO support instead of just a fixed lay-out

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline abucazu

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 05:25:38 »
Wow, real nice.
I hope there is ISO support instead of just a fixed lay-out

In the R3 there was a soldering PCB as an additional option, enabling ISO support.

Offline .jan

• keebsta
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 09:47:00 »
Are you guys ever going to add QMK/VIA support? The only reason why I leave my Cyberboard on the shelf is because the absolutely terrible closed-source software.

Offline AshF

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 11:04:08 »
If no QMK, this is as far as my interest goes....

Seems like an awfully expensive paper weight

Offline BloremBipsum

• Yes, I am a Dumb Ass Boi
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 12:05:42 »
this is nutters

Offline Rvver

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 22:29:43 »
excited

Offline selsik

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 02:29:43 »
If no QMK, this is as far as my interest goes....

Seems like an awfully expensive paper weight

Seconded. I have purposelly passed on every iteration because of the lack of QMK support.
Topre >>> MX

Offline LexProf

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 14:44:09 »
I second the seconding. As a mac user, I am always wary of a custom keyboard that I cannot program via QMK/VIA. I am not even sure if the Cyberboard software runs on a  Mac. Does anyone know? Thx

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 20:56:19 »
i love the cyberboard but i think i am a bigger fan of the christmas edition

Offline Heinze

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 14:39:41 »
I suddenly need this. Man, this is fire!

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 16:49:57 »
Hopefully this has QMK/VIA at the bare minimum

Offline Wonderfool

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 18:41:57 »
I second the seconding. As a mac user, I am always wary of a custom keyboard that I cannot program via QMK/VIA. I am not even sure if the Cyberboard software runs on a  Mac. Does anyone know? Thx

I'm primarily a mac user and own a Christmas Edition R1 Cyberboard.  As far as I know the software for this version only runs on PCs  :( (I have a gaming PC to program it).  That having been said, I haven't looked in a while and don't know anything about R>1 revisions.  I still love the thing but I do wish it had better software compatibility.

Offline hrmmm

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 22:59:58 »
Their software only runs on Windows... and it was only in chinese. So you were just clicking on the prompts hoping it didn't say something like "Install malware now".  And I honestly think it's total garbage. I like the looks and feel of the keyboard itself (had both R1 and xmas edition), but I just couldn't take their software... the online configurator was also a hot mess.

That being said, they're supposedly/finally putting more effort into their software, but we'll see how that actually turns out. It still won't have QMK/VIA support though, which is a turnoff for many folks.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 10:29:33 »
will the keycaps ever be sold again? I slept on them
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Getsome!!!

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 17:50:37 »
No VIA sucks so bad. Please stop sucking.
So the only software available for this is in chinese, is that right? Damn. I just got an R1 I have yet to build (waiting on SA laser R2), this bums me out.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 02:34:18 »
We've got some updates to share! I've updated the first post at the bottom with our latest progress and also the official release date.
Future Art Community.

Offline AshF

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 03:25:20 »
We've got some updates to share! I've updated the first post at the bottom with our latest progress and also the official release date.
That is fantastic news!
Any update on the above concerns, unless you consider them mute points in which case, GLWGB

Offline hrmmm

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 21:53:46 »
So the only software available for this is in chinese, is that right? Damn. I just got an R1 I have yet to build (waiting on SA laser R2), this bums me out.

I haven’t used it in a while, so who knows, maybe they put English prompts in the software now lol. What’s even worse for you though, is that they’re not ever going to update R1 programming features. Only R2 and onwards. As things stand now, there’s no layer support or per-key led customization/mapping… You can’t even re-map media/volume keys. They’re supposedly working on that now, but again, not for R1. So if/when the company fades away in the wind, you’ll be left with a keyboard that uses crappy proprietary software.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2022, 21:55:21 by hrmmm »

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 15:38:13 »
Was price discussed for the board here? Is it the same as r3?
Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 02:26:50 »
CYBERBOARD Terminal will be available in limited quantities starting April 28, 2022 at 10:00 am (PDT) on Angry Miao's official website! I've updated the first post at the bottom with the latest updates and other relevant info.
Future Art Community.

Offline AshF

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 01:40:24 »

I haven’t used it in a while, so who knows, maybe they put English prompts in the software now lol. What’s even worse for you though, is that they’re not ever going to update R1 programming features. Only R2 and onwards. As things stand now, there’s no layer support or per-key led customization/mapping… You can’t even re-map media/volume keys. They’re supposedly working on that now, but again, not for R1. So if/when the company fades away in the wind, you’ll be left with a keyboard that uses crappy proprietary software.
That is so sad.
A great shame that they don't spend time sorting the PCB out. Looks are outstanding though.
I think coupled with the review badseed gave about poor typing experience, pcb lay-out and lack of VIA support, this is an easy pass.