Author Topic: Feenix Mice?  (Read 7344 times)

Offline Guillairmo

Feenix Mice?
« on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 20:50:49 »
Has anyone ever heard of Feenix? I stumbled upon this through a gamer's livestream and checked out their website. From my initial impressions it seems like this (gaming) mouse is comparable to the Filco/Topre of keyboards. Does anyone own this mouse or perhaps had any time to test it out?

Website link: http://www.feenixcollection.com/nascita.html
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:46:53 by Guillairmo »

Offline Appeac

Re: Feenix Mouses?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:01:35 »
That laser sensor has minute acceleration, but is present in a lot of mice and most people love them. (My g9x is one of them, and I am one of t hose happy people). I've never heard of the brand before, and I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable to get one and gut it to give a nice overview of the components.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline Guillairmo

Re: Feenix Mouses?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:09:58 »
That laser sensor has minute acceleration, but is present in a lot of mice and most people love them. (My g9x is one of them, and I am one of t hose happy people). I've never heard of the brand before, and I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable to get one and gut it to give a nice overview of the components.
Good point, I've looked on Youtube however I've only found a handful of reviews. Gonna keep my eyes on it though.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
Re: Feenix Mice?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 01:53:51 »
Was that stream Reckful, by any chance?

I've been very curious about this mouse too. I want to know just how worth it it is. There's quite a high price tag.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 08:24:39 »
The visuals, both the design of the products themselves and the site, does give the impression of some sort of exclusive luxury product, but the class does fade a bit when you see them go on about things like "13000fps 11 megapixel" and "turbocore processor".
As for the mouse; it looks fairly standard, I can't really see anything that special about it. A lot of the marketing fluff on it is.. Not really positive. Like pointing out it uses "state of the art Omron switches", which pretty much every other mouse also uses. And that you get a driver CD! Personally I haven't used a CD to get my drivers in years, and once your product starts getting driver updates the CD is fairly useless.
So yeah, they should maybe be a bit more self-aware and drop the Razer-style marketing.

The mousepad does look nice, though while it will probably never be a problem; the logo is carved into the mousepad, which basically means you can't move your mouse there. Nobody ever uses the corners of the mousepads though, so it shouldn't ever be a problem. Unlike the mouse the pad seems to have marketing fluff that fits the style.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 11:41:32 »
Was that stream Reckful, by any chance?

I've been very curious about this mouse too. I want to know just how worth it it is. There's quite a high price tag.
Yeah haha, I was watching Reckful.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 11:44:28 »
The visuals, both the design of the products themselves and the site, does give the impression of some sort of exclusive luxury product, but the class does fade a bit when you see them go on about things like "13000fps 11 megapixel" and "turbocore processor".
As for the mouse; it looks fairly standard, I can't really see anything that special about it. A lot of the marketing fluff on it is.. Not really positive. Like pointing out it uses "state of the art Omron switches", which pretty much every other mouse also uses. And that you get a driver CD! Personally I haven't used a CD to get my drivers in years, and once your product starts getting driver updates the CD is fairly useless.
So yeah, they should maybe be a bit more self-aware and drop the Razer-style marketing.

The mousepad does look nice, though while it will probably never be a problem; the logo is carved into the mousepad, which basically means you can't move your mouse there. Nobody ever uses the corners of the mousepads though, so it shouldn't ever be a problem. Unlike the mouse the pad seems to have marketing fluff that fits the style.

These are all valid points, but who knows maybe it could be a hidden gem.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 13:22:33 »
I'm really not sure how the price tag on the Feenix can be justified, considering the feature set. The Avago 9500 sensor has two strong points-- it's good for marketing, because it has impressive numbers, and it's quite small and light compared to high-end optical sensors. The first doesn't actually help the mouse, since the numbers don't paint a full picture of the quality of tracking, where top-level optical sensors still typically beat lasers, and the second seems not to have helped the mouse any, considering the 135g weight. And Feenix makes a big deal of the onboard processor and memory, but I had a mouse designed over half a decade ago with better capabilities (though it was rather lacking in other areas).

There are some seemingly-happy Feenix owners over at OCN, but I'm not convinced that there aren't better places to search if you're trying to find a "hidden gem".
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 00:10:16 »
Ultimately it seems like the Nascita really isn't worth the ~$100 you'll end up paying for it. It's just a lot of good advertising. You can find much better or similar mice for half the price. Though I must admit, I find the mouse incredibly aesthetically pleasing.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 09:08:00 »
True, $100 is a lot for a mouse, what other mice would you recommend? Right now I have the DeathAdder (version 2) and it's pretty decent.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 09:45:34 »
True, $100 is a lot for a mouse, what other mice would you recommend? Right now I have the DeathAdder (version 2) and it's pretty decent.

I'm using the Razer DeathAdder Black edition and it's decent. At normal price I think it's a little too high, but I got it at ~$35 so it's justifiable. There's a thread here that's pretty much dedicated to determining the best mouse. Most of the ones discussed have a pretty miniscule price as well.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 13:20:07 »
Why do you want to replace the DA? Knowing what you like and do not like about it will help people come up with recommendations for mice that might suit you.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 18:53:43 »
Why do you want to replace the DA? Knowing what you like and do not like about it will help people come up with recommendations for mice that might suit you.

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong concerning the DeathAdder. However, is there anything better from Razer or a different company? I guess my biggest reason to buy something else would be for the build quality as the DeathAdder just doesn't have the heft to it, which I feel is missing.