Author Topic: Customizing a Unicomp Ultra Classic - ordering single keycaps  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Entropia

Customizing a Unicomp Ultra Classic - ordering single keycaps
« on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 08:04:05 »
Unicomp sells individual keycaps on their website: Parts, Covers and Services / Buttons / Single Unit Key - Buckling Spring - printed.
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons

There you can read: Single unit wide, alphanumeric size, 2-piece cap and stem assemblies only. Multi-wide keys not currently available. We only print standard key legends.

Since they don't answer my e-mails, I'll ask here in case anyone knows:

• Is it possible to order F13, F14 and F15 grey keycaps?
• Is it possible to order a grey key cap with the legend "PLAY".

I've found these keycaps by taking a look at their keyboard layout section:
https://support.pckeyboard.com/knowledgebase.php?category=2

For instance, here:
https://support.pckeyboard.com/download_attachment.php?kb_att=34

The F13, F14 and F15 also can also be found in their Spacesaver M model for MAC.

What I don't know is if the PLAY keycap is also available with black legend, not blue.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 March 2017, 08:09:37 by Entropia »

Offline Justins7

Re: Customizing a Unicomp Ultra Classic - ordering single keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 08:12:29 »
Unicomp, for all their faults, has been really good at emailing me back , sometimes within the same day. Try them again or call the number.

I have had to order odd keycaps from them as well, some of which I just wound up spray-painting and using as blank modifiers.

I don't understand why they don't sell colored full sets of keycaps, since they do sell them individually. And why can't they update their website? It all just seems like extreme laziness and indifference.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 08:27:21 »
Maybe they don't want to deal with me because I'm not from the US.

I'll try again.

Offline Justins7

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 11:28:01 »
They are a homey, small-time operation, and actually do have a good reputation for customer service. So try emailing or calling again.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 11:45:31 »
If they haven't got back to you regarding your first email I would definitely give them a ring.
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:20:18 »
If they haven't got back to you regarding your first email I would definitely give them a ring.

"not from the US" - might be an expensive phone call :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:32:03 »

"not from the US" - might be an expensive phone call :eek:

Facetime? Google hangout? I'm sure there is a way to contact them from outside the US :-X
Chris Schammert