Author Topic: A Gentle Request: Give the Apple Bashing a Rest Please  (Read 25909 times)

Offline hyperlinked

A Gentle Request: Give the Apple Bashing a Rest Please
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 09:01:26 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;178437
The thing is, game consoles are a market where you expect a walled garden. (That said, there's XNA on the Xbox 360, and there was Other OS on the PS3, and Linux for the PS2.) Smartphones, OTOH, weren't a walled garden before the iPhone came out.

So then there's Android, which has its own app store for now, but if they can't break Apple's hold on the Apps market, what will they do? Keep trying to be Apple even harder? No, they'll put their bets down that the only way forward is to not be Apple and offer everyone disgrunted by Apple an alternative.

Or maybe they'll succeed with a walled garden and then what does Microsoft do with Windows Mobile or HP do with their acquisition of Palm? One of these guys is certainly going to take the path of least resistance.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 09:48:28 »
I wasn't referring to Android in general, where the Market is only one option for where to get apps, I was more referring to AT&T's Android phones, and Windows Phone 7.

And, Microsoft is already going down the walled garden path with Windows Phone 7 - to the point of, copying the LACK of features from the iPhone for the sake of copying the iPhone.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 06 May 2010, 00:16:14 »
Back on topic: annoying modern music.

Amazon Kindle commercial song.

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 08:53:03 by ghostjuggernaut »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 18:52:52 »
oh god, someone shoot me.  Honda has jumped on the"most horrible song in a commercial"bandwagon. Just saw this ad on tv, found it on youtube already of course.

Its by some god-awful band named Ellem.  Same idea: Take some youngish bourgeoise white trash housewife with absolutely no personality to speak of, have her sing about butterflies with an acoustic guitar. For some reason Apple thought this was their target market, and now more and more major corporations are jumping on board with this style of advertisement. Oh god, just shoot me now.

"Ellem" gives "Feist" a run for her (their? I dont even know, dont want to know!) money.

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 08:53:33 by ghostjuggernaut »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 18:59:37 »
Yeah. The other variation on this that does my head in is the "Acoustic, dry voiced female rendition of famous songs". There was an ad doing the rounds a few months ago that featured such a version of David Bowie's "Let's Dance". Terrifying stuff.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:06:54 »
Quote from: ch_123;181646
Terrifying stuff.

Indeed! I cant scramble for the mute button on the remote control fast enough when these horrors come on. :)  If i cant get to it in time then basically people around me are in danger of their lives as the song turns me into some kind of raging homocidal maniac. :)  Either that or I bash my own head in against the wall while its playing :)  Anything to make it stop :)

Have you noticed that for some reason these women really like to count? Their other favorite activity is naming the days of the week, or naming the colors of the rainbow.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:10:21 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:11:10 »
Bad music is only acceptable if it's funny.
(I held back from posting this in a couple of other threads, but bad taste has got the better of me.)

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 08:53:53 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:13:25 »
Quote from: wellington1869;181647
or naming the colors of the rainbow.

Did you guys have that Dell ad too?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:14:08 »
Quote from: ch_123;181649

The one with the colourful turds?

Edit> I was thinking of the lollipop one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:29:37 by Rajagra »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:16:09 »
That describes every Dell ad made in the past two years. I am referring to a certain gut-wrenching, PTSD-inducing ad that begins with "I am Green today", and fails to stop at this point...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:18:35 »
Quote from: ch_123;181649

:) its like we're in kindergarten when these stupid songs come on -- they're infantilizing.  Thats what they are. (Not to mention, just horrible as songs).
And i think they're meant to be infantilizing! Its like, here, let me talk to you like you're 6 months old, and maybe you'll buy my product. I figure the singer is either as dumb as a child, or is so condescending that she thinks we are. Neither of which bodes well for my impression of her. :) (Or the ad executives who thought these songs were a good idea to put in their ads!).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:20:38 »
Quote from: ch_123;181651
That describes every Dell ad made in the past two years. I am referring to a certain gut-wrenching, PTSD-inducing ad that begins with "I am Green today", and fails to stop at this point...

oh dear god, make it stop!  One more for the box of evidence...

Its absolutely not a coincidence that the kid singing along here is like 5 years old.  Thats how old dell thinks the rest of us are, too.  Its like they want us to feel that stupid when the ad comes on.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 08:56:04 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:23:39 »
With that cow-print blanket it looks like they're advertising Gateway 2000 (Back when they were real American computers, not the chinese junk you all find today).
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:25:42 »
Quote from: Rajagra;181648
Bad music is only acceptable if it's funny.
(I held back from posting this in a couple of other threads, but bad taste has got the better of me.)

lol! at least that one was funny.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:25:59 »
OMG, the Honda commercial...much like driver's licenses, people should be required to obtain singing licenses.

RE: remakes of old songs: Lincoln and Cadillac are both using modernized versions of older songs, for example Space Oddity, but not nearly as crapified as many.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:29:16 »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:29:36 »
My ears! The plugs, they do NOTHING!
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:36:20 »
Quote from: ricercar;181661

As Marshal McLuhan said, auditory memes are more subversive because you can't choose whether you hear something or not. You have eyelids, but no ear lids.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:38:32 »
Quote from: ricercar;181661

Silly, those are earbuds.
kishy.ca

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:40:05 »
The horror. The horror...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 19:44:23 »
a much needed palate cleanser :)

How come these guys never get an ad?

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 09:00:26 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 20:29:49 »
Quote from: ripster;181685
Actually, they will.  That sickens me much more than cute pop songs.

youre right, there's something sad about seeing Lennon being used to sell shoes.

Lennon was in Apple's Think Different campaign too.

I always thought this was one of the more ironic advertizing posters ever made, given Apple's censorship of the dalai lama!

Seriously, when did Apple become one of the bad guys? I have so much respect for Google for pulling out of China.

For that matter, Gandhi was in that Think Different campaign too: more irony, as the greatest critics and renouncers of material goods are used to sell high priced modernity.

Too bad the good guys are better left poor and unnoticed.

How absurd is this?:
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2010, 20:51:28 by wellington1869 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 20:57:15 »
ripster, not even funny as a joke. She's garbage.
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 21:15:05 »
Quote from: kishy;181710
ripster, not even funny as a joke. She's garbage.

lol, i have to agree. You know I can be pretty generous when it comes to art, but my god, there have to be limits!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 07:34:19 »
Paul Anka. Ouch.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #225 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 18:05:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;181692
I always thought this was one of the more ironic advertizing posters ever made, given Apple's censorship of the dalai lama!
But this was only the Chinese App Store. As a company doing business in China, they have no choice but to obey Chinese laws there.

Of course, doing business in China is morally questionable in itself, but the competition does so, so they really have little choice.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #226 on: Sat, 23 October 2010, 20:21:48 »
Quote from: quadibloc;237759
But this was only the Chinese App Store. As a company doing business in China, they have no choice but to obey Chinese laws there.

Of course, doing business in China is morally questionable in itself, but the competition does so, so they really have little choice.

agreed, but then they should stop pretending like they're all about doing good and being responsible. If they're business ****s like everyone else, they should embrace that! ;)  The apple ad campaign (that featured gandhi and the dalai lama and others) was clearly meant to give the imperssion that apple was all about do-gooding, responsibility, innovation, etc. Well, no, they're ****s-like-everyone-else.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:16:45 »
Quote from: ripster;237793
As a AAPL shareholder just let me say....
I remember the movie which that scene came from. Unfortunately, there aren't any clips of Kirsten Dunst from Cat's Meow on YouTube...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #228 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 10:20:46 »
I decided to go do some apple bashing today. How'd I do?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: A Gentle Request: Give the Apple Bashing a Rest Please
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 18:24:44 »
I WILL NEVER STOP BASHING APPLE, BECAUSE IT'S A CRAPPY COMPANY THAT SELLS OVERPRICED GARBAGE. TO HELL WITH APPLE!