Author Topic: Maltron letter layout users: how do you type?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Bespoke

Maltron letter layout users: how do you type?
« on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 01:39:12 »
When you type "administrate", do you type "in" as a digraph, followed by "is", or do you type "i", followed by "nis" as a trigraph?
When you type "control" or "tropic", is it "tr" followed by "o", or "t" followed by "ro"? For "sand", is it "sa" and "n", or "s" and "an"?
For "finance", is it "ina" and "nce", or "in" and "ance"?
For "transit", is it "ans" and "i", or "an" and "si"?
Is there any reason for typing the above words one way or the other, or does the choice have no effect on speed or accuracy?
Do you mix up "s" and "c" often?
If you touch type on both Qwerty and Maltron, do you mix up "e", "i", and "y" on Maltron often?
Can you tolerate the location of "l", and if not, where do you move it?
On the Maltron physical keyboard, do you press "e" and space using the side of your thumb, or using the tip?
Finally, how fast can you type? (Letter-by-letter; not using your computer as a stenograph.)

Offline Proword

Re: Maltron letter layout users: how do you type?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:40:41 »
Hi Bespoke,

Just coming from your other post re the bespoke Maltron, your last paragraph here "did for me", because (a) I do almost all of my audio transcription work in WordPerfect so it's almost impossible for me NOT to try using shorthand, especially at high speed, (b) I do very little text typing and (c) I've yet to find a workable typing speed app which takes account of the Malt layout, especially the "split" space bar and "E" on the other thumb.  So for your question on how fast I can type, I'm not able to give you any meaningful answer.

As for your other questions, again the use of my shorthand means that I don't necessarily type in the same way as other people.

I don't ever recall mixing "s" and "c".

When I bought my first Maltron I elected to "go the whole 9 yards" and learn the Malt layout initially, and not use the QWERTY layout.  Although it slowed me down initially, I found it was not too long before I was matching and then far exceeding my QWERTY speed.  Further, because the Maltron has a completely different feel, being 3 dimensional and curved, I never have clashes between the two layouts.  In fact yesterday I was helping a friend install some software on her new computer and she had a Microsoft split ergonomic keyboard, and after a fairly short time I found the QWERTY coming back, certainly not as quick as I had been in my younger days, but that is almost certainly due to lack of practice rather than anything else.

Reference typing the "E"/"space" with the thumb, I use the side of the thumb.  I've found if I don't keep my nails short, I'll scratch the key face with side of my thumbnail.

Hope that assists you,

Joe
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:43:04 by Proword »
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.