Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 181148 times)

Offline h3xadat

Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:49:48 »
Before shutting down the idea of centered legends, it was only fair to at least render it. I for one am not really excited, and do intend to keep it as it is.

Show Image

Oblotzky, can you please make a render with non-centered modifiers and swapped alphas as suggested by zslane? I imagine that would look really good.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:50:54 »
The centered legends look pretty good and make it more interesting IMO, but as (zslane said) they should be switched upside down.

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:10:28 »
I like the centered legends more.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:19:23 »
Much prefer non-centered legends. If you want centered legends get the SA version.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:21:58 »
Before shutting down the idea of centered legends, it was only fair to at least render it. I for one am not really excited, and do intend to keep it as it is.

Show Image

I've just noticed the modifier legends :-\

I think icon would look so much nicer with complex legends, but I know that isn't where the set is going :)

If you don't like the choice of modifier legends, well then this is not a set for you. The set is about paying homage to an old classic, and this is how they are supposed to be.

lol yeah, I'm familiar with the original set and will be buying it anyway.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:28:07 »
Undecided on centered vs justified alpha legends, but centered modifiers gotta go.
keyboards.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:53:45 »

Show Image

Oblotzky, can you please make a render with non-centered modifiers and swapped alphas as suggested by zslane? I imagine that would look really good.

Yeah, I would like to see that also. I think it makes more sense, since OG had symbols on top.

Offline zslane

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 13:56:00 »
Sheeple and their corner legends...  :rolleyes:

Offline hansichen

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 15:19:26 »
I'd keep it aligned to the left. Especially the shift keys look horrible and the normal alphas look better in the first renders too.

I've just noticed the modifier legends :-\

I think icon would look so much nicer with complex legends, but I know that isn't where the set is going :)

I have to agree, icon mods would be better.

If you don't like the choice of modifier legends, well then this is not a set for you. The set is about paying homage to an old classic, and this is how they are supposed to be.

In that case we should go with dark gray bottom rows, right?

Offline zslane

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 16:33:56 »

Blue mods with black legends are offered in a separate kit. Their absence in the base kit is purely a concession to the folks who like the colorway and the "funky legends" but can't abide the black legends of the real SC keyboard's bottom two mod rows. Personally, I think it should be the other way around, where the base kit has the OG mods and the blue/white mods are offered in a separate kit, but Oblotzky has fears of this set not hitting MOQ if he's too faithful to the OG tribute theme in the base kit.  :rolleyes:

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #210 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 16:40:53 »

Or maybe people have different tastes and preferences?

Blue mods with black legends are offered in a separate kit. Their absence in the base kit is purely a concession to the folks who like the colorway and the "funky legends" but can't abide the black legends of the real SC keyboard's bottom two mod rows. Personally, I think it should be the other way around, where the base kit has the OG mods and the blue/white mods are offered in a separate kit, but Oblotzky has fears of this set not hitting MOQ if he's too faithful to the OG tribute theme in the base kit.  :rolleyes:

Totally fair giving your opinion and thoughts, but is all the gatekeeping in this thread really necessary?

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 16:42:22 »

Show Image

Yeah, I would like to see that also. I think it makes more sense, since OG had symbols on top.

+1 for Centered alphas and non-centered modifiers. Centered alphas look significantly better in my opinion.

I also agree all the gatekeeping in here is annoying. 

The set obviously can't be a perfect recreation, where the line between being true to the original set and more modern cherry style should be is personal preference.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 February 2018, 16:45:16 by Acereconkeys »
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 18:57:27 »

Totally fair giving your opinion and thoughts, but is all the gatekeeping in this thread really necessary?

+1  It's not making this easier ughh

As for centred legends... when did this become a thing with GMK?

Edit: more sensible comment
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:51:37 by crtexcnndrm99 »
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #213 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:10:03 »

+1  Clearly not a fan and not going to buy it. So get the hell out.. :raughs:

As for centred legends... when did this become a thing with GMK?

It didn't, people are butthurt that cherry profile caps look like they're cherry profile and are demanding that Oblotzky change everything to appease them.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:31:00 »
I feel like if you're not gonna go with the Cherry-style legends of the OP, you might as well commit to making it as Cadet-ey as possible and put the alphas on bottom/symbols on top, and change the mod legends to all caps (and maybe make them slightly bigger).

Offline zslane

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:45:05 »
I agree. But I think the cost for new legend molds might be the big obstacle there.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:47:59 »
I agree. But I think the cost for new legend molds might be the big obstacle there.

They are already going to be new molds, so wouldn't matter?

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 20:04:13 »
Original plans were best, non-centered and all white mods. Good balance of throwback with a modern sensibility that comes with GMK.

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 20:20:04 »
Sounds like a poll is in order perhaps? Seems like there are a lot of conflicting opinions haha

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 20:50:05 »
Original plans were best, non-centered and all white mods. Good balance of throwback with a modern sensibility that comes with GMK.

Agreed. I think the original iteration by Oblotzky is the best compromise that's gonna be happening, going too overboard for no real reason is going to do more harm than good (depending on how you look at it, I suppose).

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 20:58:20 »

+1

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 22:41:01 »
I like originals best as well.  I see this as a merging of space cadet and cherry/gmk styling.  It's fine in my book to stray from the original caps somewhat and let the SA set be a closer reproduction seeing as they're spherical and inherently more accurate.
keyboards.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 22:45:13 »
I like originals best as well.  I see this as a merging of space cadet and cherry/gmk styling.  It's fine in my book to stray from the original caps somewhat and let the SA set be a closer reproduction seeing as they're spherical and inherently more accurate.
This

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 22:51:18 »

Correct. Let the wannabe elitists pretend to know what they're talking about.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 23:19:03 »

Its not that they don't know what they're talking about. It's just that there are some that don't like any deviation from the classic aesthetic. Just different preferences.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 02:18:14 »

Agreed, despite many interesting suggestions, the original reinterpretation is not surpassed.  Time to trust designer's spider sense.
Greek side prints would be cherry on top of the cake.

Offline TonyD

• dtronixs
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 07:42:51 »

+1

+1 from me as well

Offline King4477

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 08:09:41 »

+1

+1 from me as well

+1, too

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 08:19:43 »
The original renders look the best so far, IMO.

If you want an exact replica, go pay out the anus for an SA set... 
I'm buying Symbiosis off of someone locally next week. 
And I'll still be getting this when it runs.

Offline Helldrop

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 11:25:05 »
Original non-centered renders were much better.
This is GMK, not SA.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 11:47:09 »
I think the centered legends would look great, but only if they were properly arranged. The alpha symbols would need to be swapped (i.e., Latin on the bottom, APL symbols on top). The fact that centered legends sort of obscure the fact that these are GMK cylindricals is simply more win, IMO. Oh, and the spacebar should be blue in your renders...  :thumb:
I think this would be interesting at least to see how close to the original you could get.

Offline zslane

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 12:00:29 »
Original non-centered renders were much better.
This is GMK, not SA.

GMK doesn't automatically have to mean corner legends, and SA doesn't automatically have to mean centered legends (for instance, the Filco SA set has corner legends). Stretch your imagination a bit!

Having said that, I'm fine with the original set as presented, corner legends and all. But that's because I already have the full Round 6 SA Space Cadet keycap set, so my purist heart is satisfied already (though they would have been even better with greek front legends). Even though I don't really use cylindrical keycaps, I still plan to buy this set because I want to support Oblotzky and his laudable efforts here.

I really would like to know how much the cost would go up if greek front legends were added though.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 12:10:45 »
I am not convinced by the centered legends stuff, regardless of partially or for all keys. At this time I will continue it in the form as presented in the first post.

Regarding Greek legends, I won't be making a decision on that soon, first I will want to know how the current kits would be priced on Massdrop. Meaning I'd reach out to Yanbo and see where we stand with this being possible to run, him then getting pricing from GMK and converting that into drop pricing. I'll try to find out at that stage how much sideprintes would add and see if it's even worth considering.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 12:49:00 »
Pad printing on the face is going to stand out like a sore thumb. I think the benefit of having the legends is outweighed by the ugly factor introduced by the visible edges of the pad.
keyboards.

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 13:12:01 »
I am not convinced by the centered legends stuff, regardless of partially or for all keys. At this time I will continue it in the form as presented in the first post.

Good to hear. Non-centered GMK legends look way better

Offline zslane

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 13:51:55 »
Non-centered GMK legends look way better

Why?

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 15:59:09 »

Why?

I personally think it's the text capitalization. Center works for when the text is ALL CAPS, but when it's just Capitalized, centering the text makes it appear lop-sided to me.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 16:09:01 »

Why?

I personally think it's the text capitalization. Center works for when the text is ALL CAPS, but when it's just Capitalized, centering the text makes it appear lop-sided to me.
So you're talking about the mod keys then, correct?
I'd think that if they we going to create new molds, they would uppercase them since that's how the original is.

It's hard to say you like one thing over another when one of those things doesn't exist yet and has never been seen.

Offline zslane

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 17:46:52 »

Why?

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean, and I tend to agree with you there. But as elfick said, if the legends were going to be centered on all keys (and I feel that you either center them all or you don't center any of them), then they'd also be all turned uppercase like with the original Space Cadet.

But I think it's a moot point since Oblotzky has no intention of going with all centered-uppercase legends.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:52:42 »
Hypothetically, centered alphas on GMK would make this an instant-buy for me, but in reality the large uptick in price would turn me off completely, and I think that would be true for a lot of people who might buy this but aren't hardcore Space Cadet fans. I also think the centered text modifiers are ugly. Normal GMK alignment is fine. That said, I'm in favor of text only or icon only modifiers, but not icon-text, and text only is truer to the original.

Showing my support for 40%, in the base kit or a separate kit.  :thumb:

EDIT: Also, I'm definitely pleased that there are no secondary legends on the numpad numbers. Please keep it that way!
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:56:17 by Parva Ovis »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 23:09:21 »
Are you gonna have "Greek" keycap?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 06:40:04 »
Are you gonna have "Greek" keycap?

Only when Greek sideprints are introduced, which remains to be determined.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #242 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 09:56:09 »
- Removed R4 1u 'Fn' key from Base and Black Text Modifiers kits. The R4 1u 'Meta' and 'Hyper' keys should suffice in covering the spot(s) where a 1u Fn key would be used. Thematically these legends should be more favorable than Fn, and no other key size offers Fn either. Example given in the Tokyo60 render.
- Added R4 1.5u Meta and R4 1.5u Hyper to Base and Black Text Modifier kits. These are now also demonstrated in the M65 render.

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 12:07:10 »
The most important question I had was could you change the R3 backslash/pipe key to something else? I realise different European countries use a variety of different keys/layouts left of return but the only layout I'm familiar with that uses that R3 key is the mac? Maybe 'US ISO'? I'm not asking to have exactly the correct key for the UK layout but just something else, so that EU people that are ok with not buying the NordeUK kit and having exactly the correct legends on those keys could at least have different legends on the keys to the left of return and to the right of left ISO shift if that makes sense? Sorry I've probably done a really terrible job of explaining that! Thanks =]

^
To add a suggestion as what to use for my request above, maybe back quote/tilde? I'm somewhat biased though as I'm mainly a 60% guy =P

Sorry, just wanted to reiterate this as I think it might have been missed, cheers

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #244 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 12:33:12 »
The most important question I had was could you change the R3 backslash/pipe key to something else? I realise different European countries use a variety of different keys/layouts left of return but the only layout I'm familiar with that uses that R3 key is the mac? Maybe 'US ISO'? I'm not asking to have exactly the correct key for the UK layout but just something else, so that EU people that are ok with not buying the NordeUK kit and having exactly the correct legends on those keys could at least have different legends on the keys to the left of return and to the right of left ISO shift if that makes sense? Sorry I've probably done a really terrible job of explaining that! Thanks =]

^
To add a suggestion as what to use for my request above, maybe back quote/tilde? I'm somewhat biased though as I'm mainly a 60% guy =P

Sorry, just wanted to reiterate this as I think it might have been missed, cheers

R3 1u \| is for ISO-US layout, the NorDeUK kit is for actual ISO-EU layouts.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 12:49:27 »
I'm in! :)

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 12:53:36 »

^

Show Image

Ok, isn't that just a waste though, I mean does anybody actually use ISO-US? I just think it makes so much more sense to have a layout that EU people can use whereby all of the keys have differing legends even if they are not exactly the correct ones? Split left shift and everything is already there, all that needs to be changed is that R3 key, or one added if you want to keep the ISO-US support? I don't even mind what the legend is, just something different? I understand you are trying to promote NorDeUK as it always does terribly but I think myself and a lot of others are unlikely to pay a large amount of money for a shed load of keys that we are never going to use. The way I'm suggesting still allows people to buy the NorDeUK kit if they really want all the perfect legends for their country and I honestly don't think it takes away a huge amount of people that would have otherwise bought the kit? I know EU people come and moan about lack of support etc all the time but I just think, whilst not perfect, it is the best compromise =S.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:03:19 »

^

Show Image

Ok, isn't that just a waste though, I mean does anybody actually use ISO-US? I just think it makes so much more sense to have a layout that EU people can use whereby all of the keys have differing legends even if they are not exactly the correct ones? Split left shift and everything is already there, all that needs to be changed is that R3 key, or one added if you want to keep the ISO-US support? I don't even mind what the legend is, just something different? I understand you are trying to promote NorDeUK as it always does terribly but I think myself and a lot of others are unlikely to pay a large amount of money for a shed load of keys that we are never going to use. The way I'm suggesting still allows people to buy the NorDeUK kit if they really want all the perfect legends for their country and I honestly don't think it takes away a huge amount of people that would have otherwise bought the kit? I know EU people come and moan about lack of support etc all the time but I just think, whilst not perfect, it is the best compromise =S.

But if I add a 'correct' key for that one location, all the other locations are still wrong legends. If you are fine with having wrong legends in all the other locations, why not this one too? The intention is to have at least physical coverage for those that want to cheap out, and the NorDeUK kit for those that want it perfect.

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:06:57 »

^

Show Image

But if I add a 'correct' key for that one location, all the other locations are still wrong legends. If you are fine with having wrong legends in all the other locations, why not this one too? The intention is to have at least physical coverage for those that want to cheap out, and the NorDeUK kit for those that want it perfect.

Sorry I thought I was quite clear, I don't mind whether it is 'correct' I would just like it to be something different to backslash/pipe that would be on R4? I'm fine with not exactly the correct legends for my country, I would just like to not have duplicates?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:49:11 »
If you really want to have an US-International ISO, this is it: The XT Layout:

Most of the GBs do not feature the proper keys for it, though; thus, it is not come as a surprise this one does not cover it, either.