Author Topic: [IC] KAM Soda Squid - Updated Vendors  (Read 6187 times)

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
[IC] KAM Soda Squid - Updated Vendors
« on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 03:46:10 »

WELCOME TO A WORLD OF COLOURFUL CHAOS

In a faraway location in the middle of a barren, sun-scorched
wasteland, lies a certain city. Hardened by the surrounding desert,
the residing cephlapods have adapted to the post-apocalyptic
environment, swimming, splatting, rolling and surging their way
to be the very best!

IC FORM

KITTING
This keycap set has been designed to let you the owner be as creative as
possible, with the uniform profile letting you play around with the
novelties! By taking a minimal approach with the legends, the set
aims to let the vibrant colours truly be the main highlight.

VIEW THE FULL ALBUM

RENDERS
Dalco 959 Mini by Dalco and Hand Engineering

Frog TKL by Geonworks

Paragon by Artemis

W1AT by Geonworks

Amano by h40

DETAILS

COLOURS
Photographed in natural light on a fine day.

SAMPLES
Round 1 samples. Not signed off but it's good progress!
Currently waiting for plastic chips to arrive before starting Round 2 samples

DESKMATS
The two deskmats that have won the popularity contest are:
Spilled Lemon Soda & Squid Party!

PACKAGING

ILLUSTRATION
Illustrated some art to go along with KAM Soda Squid!

VENDORS
OCEANIA: Keebz N Cables
US: Dangkeebs
EU: Keygem
GLOBAL: Keyreative
Feel free to reach out if you're interested in being a regional vendor!

COLLABORATIONS
If you’d like to collab feel free to reach out on Discord (kinnju) or Instagram.

DISCLAIMERS
Please note: While these designs have been inspired by popular video games,
they are the sole independent creation of the artist. They are in no way affiliated
with, sponsored by, associated with, endorsed by or created in collaboration
with any gaming companies or studios.

Due to numerous factors like differences in lighting, monitor calibrations,
etc, there may be some slight colour differences in the renders.

Every effort has been made to ensure the colours match the original source as
close as possible. However, due to the lack of yellows and greens that Pantone
has, the yellow to green gradient will not be an exact match but I have tried my
best to get as close as possible.

All renders are done by myself so please excuse any beginner mistakes
I had to fund the lawyer fees somehow

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Huge thanks to all my cephalopod friends for being guinea pigs for me and
dubbing it Soda Squid.

Thanks to the people in the Keycap Designers Discord server for giving all their invaluable
feedback in the initial stages of the design and answering any questions I had. Special thanks
to blur and Cylent!

I don’t think I would have any renders if ImperfectLinks’s Keyboard Render Kit didn’t
exist so thank you so much for creating such an easy way to create keyboard renders.

Also, huge thanks to NoPun10Did for being an absolute GOAT and helping me figure out kitting
because it was literally driving me crazy.

CONTACT
Keep up to date by joining my Discord server or following me on Instagram.

I also created a small microsite as well!

SIGNATURE
If you’d like to show your support for this set, feel free to add the following code to your signature!

Code: [Select]
[URL=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=122637.0][img width=250 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/raCvUmN.png[/img][/URL]

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 April 2024, 22:02:39 by kinnju »

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
Re: [IC] KAM Soda Squid
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 03:47:56 »
CHANGELOG

Date format: DD/MM/YY

18/03/24
- Added packaging renders

29/03/24
- Adjusted enter novelties to use the blue to purple gradient
- Added illustration

06/04/24
- Slightly adjusted the legends for the delete, scroll lock and home key.
- Added This Way and Booyah! novelty keys.
- Split the base kit into a base, numpad and novelties kit.
- Added spacebar kit
- The final deskmats for KAM Soda Squid are Spilled Lemon Soda and Squid Party

18/04/24
- Updated Paragon render to showcase the eye novelties
- Added Amano render to showcase the splat novelties
- Added the following vendors:
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 April 2024, 22:02:57 by kinnju »

Offline keepoto

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 03:56:20 »
cool design and the choice to use the KAM profile clearly matches the vibe of the set!

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 04:18:03 »
That's fresh and original. Needs better layout support though :)

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 04:27:08 »
very well executed. I'm indifferent to the inspiration but it still translates well to the design.

Offline minicap

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 19:42:57 »
The set gives such fun and lively vibes! Love the double gradient and the splatter novelties. GLWIC

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 March 2024, 21:25:29 »
cool design and the choice to use the KAM profile clearly matches the vibe of the set!
Thanks so much! I definitely wanted to utilise the uniform profile and its flexibility!

That's fresh and original. Needs better layout support though :)
Thank you! That's the biggest issue that I'm hoping to resolve with this IC to see what layouts people want to use with this set.

very well executed. I'm indifferent to the inspiration but it still translates well to the design.
Thanks! Glad to know that even if you don't specifically know the source material, it still translates well!

The set gives such fun and lively vibes! Love the double gradient and the splatter novelties. GLWIC
Aww thank you! Fun and lively is what I was going for so I'm glad it translated well!

Offline Dmitri

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 09:46:15 »
Wow

Offline tuesdaygloom

• wait.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 13:05:56 »
love the game and love the set! count me in

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 14:03:38 »
Why are we back to making stuff with Keyreative? Did we learn nothing from all those KAT GBs?

Offline keepoto

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 23:22:10 »
Why are we back to making stuff with Keyreative? Did we learn nothing from all those KAT GBs?

It's gonna be instock going forward

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 05:50:56 »
Packaging renders have been added!
Took the spilled lemon soda deskmat and made it a seamless pattern across the box.

Wow
hehe thanks!

this was definitely a big passion project showcasing my love for the game so I'm glad it resonates with other fans as well!

While I understand that previous Keyreative GBs were strung out for much longer than planned, all communications I have had with them have been very prompt and they've answered any questions I have had. They were also one of the few manufacturers that got back to me in a responsive manner which I find incredibly reassuring going into this project.
I'm still considering whether to run this as an in stock sale or group buy, however it will depend on IC and the vendors.

Offline keepoto

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 06:15:14 »
Packaging renders have been added!
Took the spilled lemon soda deskmat and made it a seamless pattern across the box.

Wow
hehe thanks!

this was definitely a big passion project showcasing my love for the game so I'm glad it resonates with other fans as well!

While I understand that previous Keyreative GBs were strung out for much longer than planned, all communications I have had with them have been very prompt and they've answered any questions I have had. They were also one of the few manufacturers that got back to me in a responsive manner which I find incredibly reassuring going into this project.
I'm still considering whether to run this as an in stock sale or group buy, however it will depend on IC and the vendors.

think you pretty much have to run it as instock for people (including vendors lol) to be confident, but quality wise I think they're up there among the best (for dyesub)

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 23:37:31 »
Some updates!
Adjusted enter novelties to use the blue to purple gradient instead of just the dark blue and yellow

Currently waiting for Pantone plastic chips before moving onto the next round of samples (I ordered them late February and only 3/7 have arrived)

Major kitting updates haven't been made as I'm waiting on more IC responses before any significant changes

Regional vendors are in the process of being confirmed

I've also added a fun matching illustration! Not sure what I'll do with this illustration. I might consider adding it as a print or sticker?
More

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2024, 07:30:59 by kinnju »

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
Re: [IC] KAM Soda Squid - Major Kitting Updates + Final Deskmats
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 April 2024, 06:33:27 »
Thanks to the power of Twitter, I've received some amazing feedback and have made some major changes to KAM Soda Squid!

Design
I’ve slightly adjusted the legends for the delete, scroll lock and home key. Also added a This Way and Booyah! novelty key.

Kitting
The responses in the IC form have asked for separate kits for the base, numpad and novelties. I’ve also added a spacebars kit for better layout support. My vision was to make the base be as close to the original source as possible. One of the key points of the source is the yellow splat so I’ve decided to keep the yellow and blue splat novelties in the base kit.

Deskmats
The people have spoken and the 2 deskmats that have won the popularity contest are Spilled Lemon Soda and Squid Party. There were some really great deskmat suggestions, however, I’m only able to run 2 deskmat designs.

Samples
My Pantone chips are finally on their way to me so round 2 of samples will start very soon.

There was some really great feedback in the form and I’d like to respond to a couple of popular suggestions that I am unfortunately not able to implement.
More
Pink and Green / More colours / Dark Alphas
KAM Soda Squid has 7 colours and even that is quite a lot for a keycap set so I’m unable to include more colours. Doing so will also make it easier for KAM Soda Squid to hit MOQ. The same goes for dark/black alphas. It would look really cool though!

Black version of the Spilled Lemon Soda Deskmat
I did render this out and it looked really cool! But unfortunately, I wanted to reduce the number of deskmats I’m running alongside the keycaps so this unfortunately won’t be made. I may possibly run a small run of alternate deskmat designs after KAM Soda Squid is over. My favourite was the gradient deskmat and I’m so sad that it won’t be running

More Language Support
I’ve decided to not create more kits for broader language support. I understand that this excludes a large group of people, however, this is my first keycap set and I’d like to keep things simple and make sure it’s successful before running a set with more kits.

Thanks again for all the support and any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
Re: [IC] KAM Soda Squid - Updated Vendors
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 22:03:57 »
Small Update
Adjusted the Paragon render to include the eye novelties and added a new Amano render to showcase the splat novelties in a split layout to look like a Turf War battle.

Also added the following vendors

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 April 2024, 19:59:34 »
UK keys support please, either by inclusion in base or a (cheap, please) NorDeUK kit, please?

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 April 2024, 00:22:47 »
I always feel like KAM and KAT has a million kits, so it never occurred to me to ask for nordeuk, but yes :-)
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline kinnju

• check out my stuff
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 April 2024, 05:17:40 »
I always feel like KAM and KAT has a million kits, so it never occurred to me to ask for nordeuk, but yes :-)

UK keys support please, either by inclusion in base or a (cheap, please) NorDeUK kit, please?

I'll definitely consider it!