Author Topic: [worklog] the workshop  (Read 40949 times)

Offline radish

[worklog] the workshop
« on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 15:00:04 »
1st off, im not sure if this is the right section for this so if its net let me know please. i spent the last few weeks in KMAC2 adventure land. sadly i only documented the process to this point in instagram. thanks to my gf for that one. otherwise there would of been no documentation of any type.

back story, saw some videos here and there on common filco mods and wanted to try some out on my own. the one i did was the ergo clear mod on a filco 104. it has ducky side printed PBT keycaps. it was surprisingly hard to get the solder off the board... i dont know if it was old or maybe i didnt put enough rosin to wick away the solder properly but it was a long and frustrating experience. good 7 hours gone. the process included desoldering the browns that where on the board original... opening the clear switches and replacing the springs with the ones from the brown switches. lubing and re-soldering everything back together. and of course hoping it would all work in the end.

after the succes of the 1st mod i decided to jump right into a custom build. the filco is all fine and good (way better then a rubber dome) but still always felt a bit cheap and flimsy to me.

So day1, the packaged arrived and it look like it was packed in some kind of msi gaming motherboard box... it was heavy as hell and of course the misses didnt open the door so i had to wait an extra day to pick it up at the post. but i got it.

next one is of t he box open, just the parts i got. 3 bags of screws not sure what all of them are for... but one package seemed to have the ones for the housing and the screws for the plate. winkless tabs the housing the plate and the pcb.

having a quick look around the pcb i noticed 2 things, 1st bummer was the fact that i wanted a 87 key and i was sent an 86 key pcb... and 2nd bummer was the fact that during the shipping process the usb port got mangled. i tried to bend it back into shape but i ended up just making it worse. at this point i gave up and decided to replace the thing.

and of course in order to replace anything i needed some parts... thankfully i had this lovely broken rosewill just sitting around collecting dust. so i opened it up and got it ready to salvage. initially i was going to harvest the switches and the usb connector... but i found use for some of the diodes aswell.

all naked.

i setup to do the deeds... done dirt cheap.

took a little bit of time... but this time it was MUCH faster then the filco. in some ways, dare i say, the rosewill i feel like was built better then the filco... mind the usb issue. that was some intense bullcrap. so yea desoldered everything i was going to salvage from that board. if anyone is interested in the scraps let me know. i have the pcb the case and the plate.

the only  hickup i had is when my hand slipped and i destroyed one of the components on the board. i did some digging around and a bunch of members on here gave me feedback which was spot on (you all know who you are. kudos.)... cant find the thread now though... it vanished. at any rate, what i found is that it was an inductor spot... then after more digging it turns out it was really a zero ohm resistor. Thankfully since the board wasnt damaged and all the lanes where fine i just bridged the pads with solder plugged it in and shorted the switch connections to check to see if it work... and it did! thanks internet for teaching me new things!

*update*
So i got to soldering, the bridge, and this is the result of that. looks ghetto but hell, it works like a charm. here's a close up. of the damage after i cleaned it and tried to identify the damaged bit.

and then the bridged ghetto blob.

the keycaps that i got for the board. dolch style from zeal.

test fitting the plate. take one, didn't go so hot. i ended up redoing this because i wanted to lube and sticker the switches.
i still need a 100 sheet of white stickers. hint hint if anyone has send me a pm.

and a little something of a sneak peak. a friend of mine kindly decided to print this for me.
gonna cast it in opaque white and translucent green.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2015, 01:19:52 by radish »

LZ CP

Offline radish

Re: [worklog] Kmac2
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 15:55:56 »
I managed to finish the kmac and have been using it for a few weeks now. I'll update the rest of the details in a bit.
Meanwhile though I got a nerd. Fully backlit heaven here I come.

So far I soldered all the led resistors and diodes.

Put a few tinged gateron clears with 50cn springs to hold the plate and pcb together.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 00:55:11 by radish »

LZ CP

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 09:36:51 »
Keep up the good work.  The replacement part for the usb connector is pretty cheap if you ever need a new one.

Offline radish

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 00:24:47 »
Keep up the good work.  The replacement part for the usb connector is pretty cheap if you ever need a new one.
hey thanks man! i did think of ordering from there... i would probably get diodes as well... but i was able to salvage the usb connector from the rosewill. so it didnt get damaged.

today's lesson... the rounded LEDs hit the top of the keycaps making a super annoying click sound.

LZ CP

Offline feizor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 03:18:40 »
Where did you order your kmac from?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:15:37 »
I love build logs. Thanks for sharing!

Offline radish

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:13:39 »
Stay tuned I have some more stuff I need to desolder the leds I put in. and ill update this weekend. Thanks!

My gfs friend went home and it was something asked her to get me while she was in korea. It was way too expensive. I would suggest getting an assembled board from someone. You would be looking at 400ish range for an assembled kbd.

LZ CP

Offline william

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:22:27 »
[today's lesson... the rounded LEDs hit the top of the keycaps making a super annoying click sound.

could o-rings prevent that?

Offline feizor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:30:06 »
Stay tuned I have some more stuff I need to desolder the leds I put in. and ill update this weekend. Thanks!

My gfs friend went home and it was something asked her to get me while she was in korea. It was way too expensive. I would suggest getting an assembled board from someone. You would be looking at 400ish range for an assembled kbd.
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the finished kmac2!

Offline feizor

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:30:43 »
[today's lesson... the rounded LEDs hit the top of the keycaps making a super annoying click sound.

You need the 2x3x4 LEDs.

Offline radish

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:32:49 »

I tried 40e and pads ... I found that I absolutely despise orings. the fact that they reduce travel distance by as much as they do... Might as well use a laptop keyboard. Pads are ok.. But I still rather not have leds then deal with this problem for now. I ordered some square leds from gon. But I have no idea when that is coming. I ordered in late jan.

LZ CP

Offline radish

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 00:35:49 »
You need the 2x3x4 LEDs.

Ha! Yea said it 1st. Yea for sure!! But yea no idea when they will get here. :-(

LZ CP

Offline radish

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:25:53 »
hey guys does anyone know how to level a wrist rest by chance? i got a glam wooden wrist pad and its pretty warped and cracked. i am wondering if i need to shave the bottom and glue s sturdier piece of wood that's leveled off?

i was hoping to use this guy for a long time but sadly it has a huge crack down the bottom side center of it... and i feel like eventually it will give out. unless i glue something to the bottom. pretty much there is a 2mm gap between the keyboard and the top right corner of the wrist rest and 3mm on the other side of it.

mean while though i ordered some 2x3x4 LEDs as suggested earlier. got high hopes for em. they are going to look great.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 March 2015, 00:29:02 by radish »

LZ CP

Offline radish

Re: [worklog] Kmac2 *updated*
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 00:18:14 »
also need to learn how to finish wood using beeswax. if anyone has some useful links im all ears.

LZ CP

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 07:00:02 »
PM nubbinator about the wristrests. He's made some.

Also, is that a baneling keycap? I love Starcraft :D

Offline radish

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:53:02 »
thanks for that lead. ill do that!

and yea it is! after i get the mold done ill be able to cast a bunch of them to see how they look.

its going to look awesome i hope.

LZ CP

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:55:45 »
Nice worklog :)

Also, if you're interested in getting an A87U PCB that's compatible with the kmac, feel free to drop by the interest check sub forum

Offline radish

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 00:55:45 »
Thanks can't wait to see the GB.

LZ CP

Offline rm-rf

Re: [worklog] Kmac2, now with nerd!
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 20:06:37 »
i've been thinking about getting one of those nerd boards for a while now.
after following this build log i may get one.
and tell your friend to hurry up production on that key cap, i want one!

Offline radish

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 18:06:44 »
i need to finish up the keycap its very low res. and once i get the sculpt done ill print it... its going to be a master in resin with .1 nm per layer. so ill be able to pack it full of detail.

as for the keyboard i am not digging the switches. ill be going back to blacks with 50g springs. joy of joys.

also does any one have any suggestions on keycaps that can go with bottom mounted LED switches?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2015, 18:10:31 by radish »

LZ CP

Offline radish

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 14:22:28 »

so far this is what the board looked like with the pcb and plate finished. tuned MX reds. ended up desoldering and resoldering tuned switches.

LZ CP

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 14:43:47 »
Show Image

so far this is what the board looked like with the pcb and plate finished. tuned MX reds. ended up desoldering and resoldering tuned switches.

You say "so far", is it 'done'?

Offline radish

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 18:02:21 »
Show Image

You say "so far", is it 'done'?

unfortunatly not. i have put together the nerd pcb but i found that the gateron switches dont quite do it for me. so im going to go ahead and desolder everything and go back to cherry mx base and white linear mx stem, the tolerance on the gateron rails is way too loose for me. but before i can do that i need a working keyboard so im stuck with these gaterons for a while till my lz cp comes in. then ill be able to sort this guy out. harsh lesson. but yea live and learn.

oh i completely forgot to mention. the lady wife, packed the kmac pcb away so id have to unpack the thing in order to go back to cherry mx reds, but thats not what i want to do. for now ill just continue to use the nerd tkl kmac board till everything is sorted. the original kmac pcb is hidden away... lost. indefinitely.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2015, 18:06:04 by radish »

LZ CP

Offline radish

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 22:45:45 »
picked up on of them G80s on ebay that went up on sale recently. got 135 vintage clear swtiches, keycaps, a full set for stabs, a track pad and a ton of other goodies. all for 30 dollars.

LZ CP

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 00:10:54 »
Status update request bump

...also my wife wants a keyboard and your old Rosewill parts are a critical component of it . . . check your messages ;)

Jesus loves you.

Offline radish

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 10:37:11 »
today was a pretty interesting day. got my t4 diodes in the mail yesterday and tried them on the nerd pcb. only did one so far... but the key works. so  im going to go do the whole board.

good bye 1970s! hello modern smds!

did another 12 keys. everything works, great success!

and now the entire board has t4 diodes, the ocd side of me is now content.

the board. damn.... i need to get better keycaps. the alt just pops off. another x against gaterons correction, maxkeyboards is to blame for this one. **** caps are **** caps. :\
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2015, 21:01:15 by radish »

LZ CP

Offline radish

Re: [worklog] Korean Customs.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 11:41:36 »
This came in the mail yesterday.

LZ CP

Offline radish

Re: [worklog] the workshop
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 00:10:31 »

Phone update

LZ CP

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 00:44:04 »
Nice!

Kinda addicting right? I feel the same way...
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline radish

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 09:25:56 »
Nice!

Kinda addicting right? I feel the same way...

yea in a way, i got a few keyboards... to justify buying the tools. ill prolly pick a fav keyboard and stick with it... so far i really miss using the numpad on the kmac2. the lightsaver is great but keeping track of the layers you're on is a bit of a pain. so i am hoping the lzcp will be the one. :)

fingers crossed.

LZ CP