Author Topic: Keycap Resale Value?  (Read 5067 times)

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
Keycap Resale Value?
« on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 23:09:41 »
So I just spent $175 on the Matt3o Hi-Profile keycap group buy on Massdrop, for my $75 Ducky One keyboard (My first mechanical keyboard which will be arriving Wednesday)  :-\

I've never used anything but OEM profile, so I have no idea how I'll like it. If it turns out I can't stand it, are chances good I'll be able to sell it for at least most of what I have in it?

Thanks!
Here's the WW1 Flying Ace standing beside his Sopwith Camel

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Keycap Resale Value?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 23:34:46 »
Looks like the set is doing pretty well on massdrop.

Assuming the initial reactions to it are good once sets start arriving there's a decent chance you'll be able to get back all your money if you decide you don't like the profile. If the set doesn't live up to everyone's expectations you may lose a bit but I doubt the set will end up worthless.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 April 2017, 23:36:25 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 23:42:43 »
wait until we know how many people got in vs how many people want R2

it'll either tank or go way up

supply and demand, basic economics, etc.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 23:48:48 »
You'll be fine, have yet to see a buy for SA or GMK lose money
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 23:52:43 »

it'll either tank or go way up

Have any SA buys tanked second hand yet?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 23:56:55 »
some of the early ones went down at first, but now that SA is a ****ing meme they're all $$$
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 00:03:00 »
SA Chronicler is an exception lol
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 05:58:35 »
It really depends on the set.

SA and taller profiles in general are really hot right now.

It goes in waves, dcs used to be about the only option then DSA was hot then GMK (which is also currently all the rage).

But so many new sets are coming out it's hard to say if the prices can keep climbing, it seems like every new set is a few more dollars.

With matteo's new set its still up in the air really.

I've seen turtle power dcs being almost given away because no one wanted it and I've seen people pay enough for penumbra SA that you could have had a one off set made of about anything.

Offline Petch

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 06:54:46 »
For this particular GB, I would say it's unlikely you would lose much, if anything. I'm putting a lot of faith into matt3o''s work and am assuming it won't flop. If it's wildly successful I wouldn't expect to make a lot of money though, because there will probably be 3-4k orders by the end of the GB.

There are going to be a lot of people who won't like hi-profile in general, and look to sell. There are also going to be a lot of people interested in the set, but don't want to risk buying a completely new profile from an unknown manufacturer. If the set turns out okay (fingers crossed), then those people will probably try get a set. These two pools of people are your supply and demand, it's anyone's guess as to which will be the larger of the two.

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 07:22:13 »
Thanks everyone, that's really reassuring! :) Fingers crossed that it's the bee's knees though!
Here's the WW1 Flying Ace standing beside his Sopwith Camel

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 14:26:39 »
If it's wildly successful I wouldn't expect to make a lot of money though, because there will probably be 3-4k orders by the end of the GB.

You need to remember that every kit sold on massdrop counts as an order so every set is at least "2 orders" if you want to be able to fill a TKL or 60%. A full size winkeyless board with a split right space would require 5 kits and thus be considered 5 orders by the counter on massdrop.

Nevermind, I just saw they added a note about this for the drop so I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 14:29:59 by Joey Quinn »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:00:45 »
Unless there's anything seriously wrong with it (anyone remember the original DSA Granite?) there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to sell it for at least what you paid for it.

Plus there's always a rush of people finding the drop just after it ended and being desperate to buy a set at almost any cost.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 22:58:00 »
I'm not an expert but given the popularity of the set so far (judging by the sales #'s on MD to date), I doubt you'll have any trouble selling it for anything less than what you paid for, or at the very least you should be able to "break even".

Offline zslane

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 12:13:20 »
If you put it up for auction, it will almost certainly sell for more than you paid for it. There is almost always enough demand out there for high quality stuff to instigate a good bidding war.