Author Topic: Swiss ISO Layout : what are my options?  (Read 28404 times)

Offline heavyzobech

Swiss ISO Layout : what are my options?
« on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:55:57 »
Hey everybody,

Got my CMStorm QFR for a while, and as anybody who started typing on mech keyboards, I HAVE TO UPGRADE/PIMP IT!

The main issue is... I'm Swiss (french part), and I got used to write with a Swiss Layout. My QFR has a german layout (which is more or less the same layout except for the french accents and for the special signs).
I was wondering if, aside of WASD keyboards and its ABS custom keycaps, there were other options - like, say, someone who makes custom doubleshot PBT keycaps with OEM profile?  ;D

When I ask for options, I mean ANY options, even if it has to cost 200$ for a 88keyset - I'm just trying to understand how hard it is to get swiss layouts for mechanical keyboards... and, well, maybe a more seasoned Swissman will launch a group buy one day ?  :D

And, yes, I'll create a new post later about the layouts I'm drawing to show them and get some condescending comments regarding my tastes about fonts and stuff  :blank:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Swiss ISO Layout : what are my options?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 12:11:03 »
New doubleshots won't happen. Dyesubs.. maybe, but it'll cost you a lot. The best option, however, is some old doubleshots from a Cherry G80/G81-3000HAC. The C in HAC means Swiss layout.

I think Ascaii over at DT still has one for sale here. You will need to replace the ctrl, alt, windows, menu, spacebar and caps lock keys, since the originals won't fit your QFR. You can get these in the form of a GMK moogle kit, which should be fairly easy to find.

Oh, also, welcome to geekhack!
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 12:12:58 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline clickity

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 02:26:00 »
Hey, Swiss, relatively new, lookig for good keycaps here :)

Sorry to wake up the zombie thread but... did you have any luck with your quest for good CH layout caps ? They are so damn hard to find !

And also, there is this Facebook group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/413271138854299/members/

There's literally *not even* dozens of us ! ;)
Model M, WASD v1, Dell AT102W

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 09:57:48 »
Same thing still holds true for the moment, look for old Cherry models in Swiss.
Now that ISO is available from Gateron, I will be offering some hard to find layout like Swiss as dyesub in the near future.

Offline clickity

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 08:34:01 »
Hey, Swiss dyesub set would be awesome !

Where should I watch in order not to miss it ?
Model M, WASD v1, Dell AT102W

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 10:41:21 »
Right now there are some international DSA sets on sale on massdrop plus ISO kids. They are immediately available because they are left overs. After that, get a standard dsa set from pimp my keyboard.

Offline Red392

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 12:43:59 »
Hi there! I'm bumping the Ol'zombie thread because I am very VERY eager to know of any development in the matter of swiss layout.

Are old cherry keyboards still the only source of good keycaps?

Any good board recomendation?

Thanks!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:59:13 »
Hey, Swiss, relatively new, lookig for good keycaps here :)

Sorry to wake up the zombie thread but... did you have any luck with your quest for good CH layout caps ? They are so damn hard to find !

And also, there is this Facebook group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/413271138854299/members/

There's literally *not even* dozens of us ! ;)

Too bad I didn't see that when I was living in Lausanne....

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 19:37:34 »
Hi there! I'm bumping the Ol'zombie thread because I am very VERY eager to know of any development in the matter of swiss layout.

Are old cherry keyboards still the only source of good keycaps?

Any good board recomendation?

Thanks!

This isn't a definitive answer by any means, since I don't keep up with every new keycap offering/GB. So please take what I say with a pinch of salt, and hopefully someone will suggest something I'm unaware of.

From what I gather, your only options for 'readily available' Swiss keycaps would be a custom set from WASDkeyboards (just an example - you can design your own) or a backlit set from MAXkeyboard. I don't think anyone here would try and claim these keycaps are great though. They'll do the job, but they're not the best.

In regards to more "high quality" keysets like GMK, MT3, etc. it's very easy to find an ISO set, but I haven't seen a single set with Swiss layout support. It's understandable, since ISO alone gets less attention than ANSI, nevermind specific regional layouts. Swiss, as I'm sure you know, is far more niche than German or French as well. So, as far as high quality keysets go, you're still pretty much limited to original Cherry. I'm going to post a few examples I know of below to give you an idea of the variants. These are incredibly rare in Swiss layout though, so don't expect to find one quickly (or for a cheap price).

Thick, doubleshot ABS (first letter H) :

G80-3036HAC
G80-3036HAMCH (pictured with Russian stickers which are not a part of the original keyboard)
G80-3000HAC

Thick, dyesub PBT, my personal favourite (first letter S) :

G81-3077SAC
G81-3081SAC

To boil it down to 2 rules :

You're looking for article numbers which contain either G80 or G81 at the start. This corresponds to MX or MY switches respectively. The keycaps used for MY keyboards are MX compatible (winkey layout has non-compatible modifiers, but that's unimportant for the Swiss layout keys).

For article numbers with 3 letters following the 4 digit number, you're looking for the last letter to be C e.g G80-3000HAC. For article numbers with 5 letters following the 4 digit number, you're looking for the last 2 letters to be CH e.g G80-3036HAMCH. These letters dictate the layout, and C/CH specifies Swiss layout.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2020, 10:39:04 by Photekq »
github

Offline Red392

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 14:33:41 »
Thank you SO much for this awesome answer, I'm on the lookout for the S*C versions then!

Awesome help you gave me there,  I'll keep you updated on what I find!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 19:39:55 »
Thank you SO much for this awesome answer, I'm on the lookout for the S*C versions then!

Awesome help you gave me there,  I'll keep you updated on what I find!
Best of luck with your search, I'll try and keep my eye out for you as well.

I've gotta warn you though: really, I can't understate just how rare these Swiss ones are. I'd temper your expectations, there's a chance it'll take you a long time to find a set.
github

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:14:16 »
Heyyy! I have the exact same problem! Welcome in switzerland  :thumb:

Other tips, Tai hao is about to do an FULL international PBT keyset
Check this out : https://www.instagram.com/p/B_U56miH6Mn/

There is also kprepublic who is doing a CH kit.
You'll find it at : https://kprepublic.com/collections/pbt-dye-sub-keycaps

Haard to be a swiss keyboard builder

Offline tr

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 02:36:31 »
Thanks for sharing, marshskitow!

Really good news.

As a newbie to the scene - let me ask;
What is the best way to get those sets to switzerland, especially the one from tai-hao? massdrop?
Maybe we compatriots could set up some kind of group buy?

Greetings from the bernese oberland

t

Offline ullr

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 13:29:16 »
I recommend DSA Granite and DSA HC Granite as well if you don't mind mono legends. You can turn the colon key on its side for an Umlaut. It's just missing the section sign, but since that key is in the Escape position for a smaller keyboard that won't be a problem unless you prefer at least 75%.

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:15:09 »
Thanks for sharing, marshskitow!

Really good news.

As a newbie to the scene - let me ask;
What is the best way to get those sets to switzerland, especially the one from tai-hao? massdrop?
Maybe we compatriots could set up some kind of group buy?

Greetings from the bernese oberland

t

Well from tai hao you can order straight from their store. Shippement fee gonna be low i think.
The CH set is not out, they said to stay tuned. Gonna be release soon i guess.

Offline Neutral

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 02:33:16 »
Well from tai hao you can order straight from their store. Shippement fee gonna be low i think.
The CH set is not out, they said to stay tuned. Gonna be release soon i guess.

Hi, news here, after see you message here i check Tai Hao (but for command after send message a Tai Hao, it's on Drop.com) ->

https://drop.com/buy/95148  - Tai-Hao Exotic Layout PBT Doubleshot Keycap Set - ISO CH aviable! 50 copies for each proposed region (only).

I preorder my set.. wait and see.. and ty for message ^^

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 17:53:48 »
Ty you mate, i already pre order some on the first two hours ^^ I was ready for it ahah.  :p
But now it doesnt fix nothing. They do that only once a year so now we have one set with one color, we should try to know if we can also have good looking sets.

I wonder if we can have answeers from people who does project like GMK, KAT, EPBT etc... I mean we should ask them if there is any chance they can add new kits (Or add few key on NORDE).
Looks like the tai hao sets had a lot of orders so there is customers. And since they produce only if there is orders, they will not have unsaled products.

Offline tr

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 00:11:43 »
I skipped the Tai-Hao set for now and ordered a low-cost set. More appropriate for me, being a freshman  :thumb:

While shopping the GMMK Barebone I found the Glorious ISO-CH keyset listed as accessory for a good price (CHF22.-, normal price). It's a ABS, 105key set with some specific labeling for the GMMK. The look is discreet (black with translucent grey lettering) and fits my CAD-Workplace perfectly. I can't really say something to quality, since I lack of possibilities to compare. From an industrial point of view the quality is not perfect but thats really a detail. More of a downer, for me personally, is the incoherent design (mixture of font sizes, big media symbols on F-row, secondary functions labeled in capitals...). Because the labeling is not obtrusive and I don't use the backlight (which keeps the letters even more "stealth") I can easily live with it.

Overall a good keyset to start with! And it's easy to get, even here in switzerland.

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 14:09:20 »
Hey, yeah you can go for that for the moment, for a first keyboard you'll be fine.
You'll see however, the print on the keys disapear sometime with time. Also it gets shiny. And the sound as well.

But for now it's a pain in the *ss to get good PBT keycaps in swiss layout anyway. So you'll have this keyboard and getting ready if they come up with pbt swiss layout in the future.

Don't forget to show me the result of your keyboard  :) And what switches did you choose ?

Offline tr

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 06:52:50 »

Here you go - my first mech at all. Very happy about the package. I got myself the GMMK fullsize barebone and the mentioned keyset. The money I didn't spend on fancy caps went directly into switches. Since I'm new I had no preference. So after some reading and good advice in another forum (hi shi  :thumb:) I decided to try various switches and got silent blacks, silent reds and clears - enough of every type to get a feeling and decide later on wheter I prefer linear light, linear heavy or tactile.

I got the board now for two weeks, blacks mounted. Couldn't find time yet to try the other switches, but I am really looking forward to!

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 10:00:17 »
Looks nice. You'll see, but you now have the keyboard Virus  ;)

The only problem that we can have is that they don't make any nice PBT keycap with swiss layout.

And this is the reason why i don't buy groupbuys 300$+ keyboard kits, it's because i don't want to have a expensive kit with a ABS keycap set on it...

Offline Neutral

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 13:08:06 »
Show Image

lol i have same GMMK (but TKL) and same glass ^^ Götti right? but my on other color..

For switchs i test Gateron Browns, really good (red + tactile impression) maybe test Kailh Purple Pro too.

I wait my set PBT doubleshot  ;D, pending have same Glorious keycaps Iso CH, but yes it's ABS "laser" (for EU Layouts same, only US/inter is doubleshot). Two weeks.. my nails have already worn some keycaps.

I ordered too: Glorious Wooden Keyboard Wrist Rest, for TKL.. Tic tac tic tac

Edit: Not buy Ducky One with Iso CH, same ABS "laser" 2 weeks -> return keyboard for money. Logitec G, Corsair and Razer, have Iso CH, with doubleshot base on gaming keyboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 13:18:42 by Neutral »

Offline tr

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 23:35:24 »
Seems like preferences converge here.  :)) But my glasses aren't Göttis - doesn't matter since glasses look all the same if you don't go custom theses days...

Would you mind sharing some pics of the handrest and the caps after they arrived?

Offline Neutral

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 04:17:28 »
Would you mind sharing some pics of the handrest and the caps after they arrived?

Yes, the handrest is arrived, rest keycaps start shipping 29 july 2020. (Now Glorious releases GMMK White Ice version + USB-C, but TKL and Compact version not available only after 2 days ^^') -> https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/the-glorious-gmmk-full-size-pre-built-white
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 04:20:37 by Neutral »

Offline Neutral

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 07:01:02 »
Finally it's arrived!  :D (sorry, old smartphone for quality of picture)

Great sensation and sound it's very different by adding ABS. Glorious Wooden Keyboard Wrist Rest is great too, not "rough" even several hours.

But the set is not given, for keyboard + wooden = 200 frs. I don’t regret anything  :thumb:, except mouse pad, buy at the base for compact not TKL.

Edit: i sent to Tai-Hao, for fix 5 keycaps. I got answer from Tai-Hao for this: "Thank you so much for your reminder. The legend tooling for our ISO CH layout was developed in 90s’ so it definitely looks kind of incorrect today in 2020. It’s not errors but just out of date. In the future when we have a plan to make a new ISO CH keycap set, we will try to modify the legends to make it updated  Thank you very much again for your advice."

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2020, 05:40:13 by Neutral »

Offline Appenzeller

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 10:11:20 »
Hi all,

I was also struggling to find ISO-CH keycaps  :confused:  when I decided to build my own custom mechanical keyboard.

After some research on the internet I ended up buying the Tai Hao blue moon keycap set and the kprepublic interational keycap set. As mentioned before here, both sets have PBT keycaps  :thumb:. But Tai Hao keycaps are double shot and have a OEM profile. The
kprepublic keycaps are dye-sublimated and have a cherry profile.

Personally, I like the aesthetics and the slightly lower pitch sound of the Tai Hao set. But the keycaps of their modifiers could have thicker legends.

Regarding the kprepublic keycaps, I prefer their cherry profile. It feels easier for me to typ on them.

Hopefully, we see more ISO-CH keycaps in the near future. It seems that more and more people are interested in such sets. I am looking forward to one day buy a GMK set as I like cherry profile.

Best regards from Appenzellerland

Offline siphonophore

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 14:37:59 »
https://drop.com/talk/22729/gmk-wob-bow-nordeuk-add-on-kits

this would have been awesome if it included swiss ISO layout...

Offline kaworu

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 06:19:52 »
Pimpmykeyboard (Signature Plastic) has a SA-P, PBT dye-sub, Swiss keycap set here https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-p-snow-cap-keyset-original/

Offline Neutral

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 16:41:54 »
Ty for infos  :thumb:

Offline metalkeyboards

• CNC Milled Aluminum KeyCaps from Tønsberg, NORWAY
    • MetalKeyboards SHOP
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 14:26:19 »
Drop by our discord and we can talk about the prospect of making a  Swiss ISO set (We already have a bunch of localized ISO  sets)
https://discord.gg/JGNY54jXUE
https://metalkeyboards.no/

Hey everybody,

Got my CMStorm QFR for a while, and as anybody who started typing on mech keyboards, I HAVE TO UPGRADE/PIMP IT!

The main issue is... I'm Swiss (french part), and I got used to write with a Swiss Layout. My QFR has a german layout (which is more or less the same layout except for the french accents and for the special signs).
I was wondering if, aside of WASD keyboards and its ABS custom keycaps, there were other options - like, say, someone who makes custom doubleshot PBT keycaps with OEM profile?  ;D

When I ask for options, I mean ANY options, even if it has to cost 200$ for a 88keyset - I'm just trying to understand how hard it is to get swiss layouts for mechanical keyboards... and, well, maybe a more seasoned Swissman will launch a group buy one day ?  :D

And, yes, I'll create a new post later about the layouts I'm drawing to show them and get some condescending comments regarding my tastes about fonts and stuff  :blank:
All METAL All DAY!

Offline Neutral

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 09:38:19 »
[Maj] Keyboard GMMK Pro. But stabilizers sck* (and Glorious too) :( maybe change for others.. For keycaps is: Exotic by Tai-Hao ISO CH (same of past) and Dark Tunnel by Tai-Hao ANSI 119 keys (same colors + PBT Doubleshot for keys 75% and accessory spare parts).

276211-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 09:40:19 by Neutral »

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 10:17:15 »
There's also GMK WoB / BoW sets still available from CandyKeys, for ISO-CH:
https://candykeys.com/product/gmk-swiss-add-on-kit
You have to complete mods etc. from another set (like a regular WoB/BoW set).
(example:)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 10:21:47 by Surefoot »

Offline Neutral

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 10:49:07 »
Yop, a bit of freshness with Tai-Hao who produces 2 ISO CH sets, with the key errors that I had reassembled at the time for the Exotic set.

Digitec.ch ->

Hyyge set: https://www.digitec.ch/fr/s1/product/tai-hao-kit-hygge-116-cles-iso-ch-keycaps-21180628

Miami lights: https://www.digitec.ch/fr/s1/product/tai-hao-miami-lights-116-keys-iso-ch-set-keycaps-21180627

Not everything is perfect, but it's already a big step for our little country :D I hope for more sets from them in the near future!