Author Topic: [IC] ROTR Macro Pad and Knob - GB LIVE  (Read 76868 times)

Offline CONIN

• Choripán Squad
Re: [IC] ROTR Macro Pad and Knob - Prototype UPDATE
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 15:15:40 »
Looking forward to it!  :3

Offline AvoidingYou

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 15:19:36 »
that's a thicc knob. I'm in.

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 15:44:23 »
Do we have any news about the pricing ? It would be lovely to know if i have to call my bank or if i can afford it

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 16:15:51 »
Do we have any news about the pricing ? It would be lovely to know if i have to call my bank or if i can afford it

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

There'll be news on pricing fairly soon. I'm just waiting on the prototypes to get to me from the CNC place

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 16:19:50 »
Is the price been estimated yet?

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 16:30:14 »

I do have a very rough estimate but there's still too many unknown factors for it to be accurate. Once the prototype gets to me I'll be able to give a concrete price. Hopefully, that will be in the next couple of weeks

Offline evorus5

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 00:00:20 »
How rough is it ?

Offline Polyzhu

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 15:23:08 »
This looks great, definitely interested in this project!

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 06:51:43 »
This looks great, definitely interested in this project!

Thank you! I can't wait to get my hands on the prototypes!

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 23:53:25 »
The Copper looks amazing, cant wait to see it when you get it and follow this along to GB!!  :thumb:

Offline puq

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 00:34:46 »
Copper looks nice but is very prone to tarnishing and discoloration. I used to make lots of copper jewelry and after handling a piece repeatedly it would turn a dark brown/greenish color from the oils on your hands. Prototype looks amazing! I don't have a ton of experience with brass, I do know it can discolor, but not sure if it happens quite as easily as it does with copper.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 00:52:50 »

I do have a very rough estimate but there's still too many unknown factors for it to be accurate. Once the prototype gets to me I'll be able to give a concrete price. Hopefully, that will be in the next couple of weeks

Can I get a very rough estimate? It doesnot have to be accurate, just a ballpack value is okay.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 01:41:59 »
Copper looks nice but is very prone to tarnishing and discoloration. I used to make lots of copper jewelry and after handling a piece repeatedly it would turn a dark brown/greenish color from the oils on your hands. Prototype looks amazing! I don't have a ton of experience with brass, I do know it can discolor, but not sure if it happens quite as easily as it does with copper.

My thoughts are similar. I think the copper looks nice, but it will stop looking nice pretty quickly if left uncoated. I have extensive experience working with copper cookware. It is beautiful and high performance but extremely high maintenance. The copper knob would need to be coated, in which case I would just assume go the PVD brass route that is becoming more and more popular with keyboard stuff. Between copper and anodized aluminum, I would personally prefer aluminum. Aluminum also offers color and finish options: anodizing, e coat, cerakote. It's also cheaper.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 06:59:38 »

My thoughts are similar. I think the copper looks nice, but it will stop looking nice pretty quickly if left uncoated. I have extensive experience working with copper cookware. It is beautiful and high performance but extremely high maintenance. The copper knob would need to be coated, in which case I would just assume go the PVD brass route that is becoming more and more popular with keyboard stuff. Between copper and anodized aluminum, I would personally prefer aluminum. Aluminum also offers color and finish options: anodizing, e coat, cerakote. It's also cheaper.

The copper and brass knobs will definitely be pvd coated, I'd find it really annoying if they got discoloured. We are also considering a copper knob with a patina, I'll upload renders of it later.
I'm hoping to make the knob material an option but that would depend on how many people were interested.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 08:05:40 »
I would prefer the knob be anodized the same color as the case or at least contrasting anodizing colors if possible, no polished brass, aluminum or copper.

The knob looks best with no design or just the notch, it looks too busy otherwise.

Three switches is perfect, six might be overkill.

I just bought a cheap usb knob from Amazon for my desktop so I'd definitely love to replace it with this one instead.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 08:56:10 »
I would prefer the knob be anodized the same color as the case or at least contrasting anodizing colors if possible, no polished brass, aluminum or copper.

The knob looks best with no design or just the notch, it looks too busy otherwise.

I just bought a cheap usb knob from Amazon for my desktop so I'd definitely love to replace it with this one instead.

We are currently looking into options to do different colours, but we would only be able to do the two most popular ones otherwise it would get far too expensive.
What do you think of a silver anodised knob and matching case?

Offline catamscott

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 14:40:22 »
personally not crazy about pvd coating, something about it looks off to me, maybe a little too shiny? would personally prefer anodized aluminum (matching or contrasting color to accent), or sandblasted and clear coated brass.

Offline thethomaszhou

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 18:24:17 »

The copper and brass knobs will definitely be pvd coated, I'd find it really annoying if they got discoloured. We are also considering a copper knob with a patina, I'll upload renders of it later.
I'm hoping to make the knob material an option but that would depend on how many people were interested.

Yeah, I'm really diggin' that copper knob. I'm excited to see this copper with patina render you guys are thinking of, but it would increase the price significantly though right? I also think PVD might be too shiny, but I don't have anything with PVD coating currently, so what do I know?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 20:22:23 »

We are currently looking into options to do different colours, but we would only be able to do the two most popular ones otherwise it would get far too expensive.
What do you think of a silver anodised knob and matching case?

Silver anodizing would be a nice choice

Offline syke

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:24:53 »
Cooper is cool.. It is heftier than Brass. I am worried about it having a patina over time though... Although it can be easily restored to original.

The Cooper hammered finish is awesome... Keep it simple like this without all that knurling and grooves.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:30:22 by syke »

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:56:54 »

Yeah, I'm really diggin' that copper knob. I'm excited to see this copper with patina render you guys are thinking of, but it would increase the price significantly though right? I also think PVD might be too shiny, but I don't have anything with PVD coating currently, so what do I know?

I'm still not sure about the copper knob with the patina, once we get the prototypes I'll be able to tell you if it will increase the cost significantly. As for the pvd coating, I hope it's not going to be too shiny but I won't know for sure until I see the prototypes.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 08:45:31 »
Any chance for e-white cerakote?
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2020, 08:48:17 by harlekein »

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 16:35:04 »
This is cool. Do want

Offline catamscott

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 18:04:37 »

e-white = white coating via electrophoresis, different than cerakoting

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 18:28:43 »

e-white = white coating via electrophoresis, different than cerakoting

Even if cerakote isn't an option, you can definitely find a cerakote applicator that can cerakote it for you after the fact. You'd also have more control over the color that way. Custom E-coating would be a little trickier but may also be doable.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 18:46:52 »
Design reminds me a lot of a guitar pedal.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 18:57:07 »
Also your crystals and decoupling caps on your PCB look rather far from your microcontroller (general recommendation is to place those as close as you can to the microcontroller). Love the design though.

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 21:50:31 »
I'm loving the update. Still all in, this looks great!

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 10:33:19 »
Also your crystals and decoupling caps on your PCB look rather far from your microcontroller (general recommendation is to place those as close as you can to the microcontroller). Love the design though.

Thank you! That's a good spot with the crystal and caps, I didn't notice that. I'll sort it out

Offline davydav

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 10:50:10 »
Do you think I could add resistance to the knob using something like this ?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rotational-dampers/7932917/

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 11:16:26 »

Not really, there isn't really the space for it. If you look at the exploded render in the original post, the knob sits on a pair of bearings with a hollow central shaft. You could probably add resistance by packing the bearings with thick grease though.

Offline syke

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 11:47:16 »

If it has a dial as smooth as the Sony DMP-Z1.  :eek:

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 19:00:35 »

Giving it resistance would definitely be fun.

Also, I’d prefer the knob in copper. Both coated and oxidized would be great. I wouldn’t even mind raw copper, I love watching it change after multiple uses.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 03:44:21 »

Giving it resistance would definitely be fun.

Also, I’d prefer the knob in copper. Both coated and oxidized would be great. I wouldn’t even mind raw copper, I love watching it change after multiple uses.
I definitely agree, it would be great to see the copper change over time. Most people would probably choose the coated though

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Auracity

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 14:29:39 »
Love the copper. Definitely interested in a coated copper version.

Offline perry4761

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 22:32:10 »
+1 for coated copper

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 00:48:38 »
Love the copper. Definitely interested in a coated copper version.

is that pinky in ur profile pic
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline syke

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:30:05 »
Looks like 李靜儀 Heidi Lee

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:42:26 by syke »

Offline tonetizzley

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 02:37:33 »
Actually love the look of the copper knob. I’d be happy spending a little extra for that if it’s an option. Can’t wait for this, whatever form it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riziom

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 08:00:31 »
Any chance of releasing the knob files after the GB if, for example, someone wanted to cast a knob out of silver? Asking for a friend.  ;D

Also, I may be minority here but damn is patina'd copper amazing to look at and I love the idea of having something that changes based on your use.

Offline youreyesonly

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 09:48:09 »
I’d def be in for a copper knob if it’s treated to protect from discoloration.

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 10:57:45 »
Any chance of releasing the knob files after the GB if, for example, someone wanted to cast a knob out of silver? Asking for a friend.  ;D

Also, I may be minority here but damn is patina'd copper amazing to look at and I love the idea of having something that changes based on your use.

Yes! Send me a message on discord - kwlodarczyk#1609 and let's work something out! I'd love to see a cast knob

Offline krey

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 11:13:36 »
I’m up for all!

Especially if it comes in shiny polished
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline GrimmOmen

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 12:51:21 »
All these people asking for coated copper and brass. No love for natural patina?

But seriously, it would be really cool to have raw copper/brass as an option.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 17:34:53 »
Patina is bae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pylon

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 20:16:14 »
Raw copper is germicidal too

Offline evorus5

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 01:58:06 »
Any Update on these?

Offline 1corazon

« Reply #147 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 04:55:51 »
Would love to buy this ASAP any updates ? I want to throw money at you !!!

Offline kwlodarczyk

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 13:51:30 »
Hey everyone!

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. There have been some issues with the initial prototypes which have set us back a bit. They are currently stuck in customs on their way to me, as soon as I have them I will make a detailed post with all of the issues and how we are solving them. If all goes well that should be up in the next few days.

Be sure to check out our Discord here:

https://discord.gg/nuknf9K

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 09:15:57 »
The copper looks beautiful, I would love for it to be an option and would choose it over brass