Author Topic: Custom TKL Build Sanity Check  (Read 2631 times)

Offline tnuhnivad

Custom TKL Build Sanity Check
« on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 01:57:26 »
Hey guys, I'm just looking for some input on parts and whatnot for an idea I had.

So, I have a set of Gazzew Boba U4 Silent Tactile OTW and I've been searching the internet for a nice TKL build to use them in. As you may know sometimes that layout can be a little hard to come by. Stumbling on a particular product I received some inspiration. Over on the Keycult webpage, listed under accessories you can purchase the TKL No. 2 in hot-swappable or Solderable PCB configs, PCB plate, and even extra gasket mounts. I was thinking of doing a OOAK build and making my own gasket mounted case.

As far as material goes for the case, I haven't landed on any particular material yet. I was thinking a translucent material for a custom housing/frame for the board would look good and show off the board. Not that it is a special PCB, but, as far as a custom build is concerned it would standout. I was thinking frosted acrylic, clear acrylic, or even glass. I have ideas of making my own custom CAD aluminum case and having it made at a local shop. I wanted to check with what others would think a good material would be or maybe someone knows an available frame/housing that can fit this board already?

The second question I have is keyboard back lighting. I usually use my PC in dimmly lit conditions and wish to do a custom LED back lighting on the keys. However, it appears the Hot-swappable version of this board does not have the PCB sockets for soldering LEDs? Could someone confirm this for me?

https://keycult.com/products/wt80-a-pcb-tkl-1?variant=32228080943188

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2020, 11:54:44 by tnuhnivad »

Offline fpazos

Re: Custom Gasket Mount TKL Build Sanity Check
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 02:29:18 »
It hasn't rgb. Only normal leds.
If you want rgb leds and hotswap you should be able to find a pcb as it is quite common but I don't know one.
As for the material that depends on your budget, I think PC is the best if you have access / budget for CNC

Edit: I didn't found pcbs but found some cheap keebs.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2020, 02:42:55 by fpazos »

Offline tnuhnivad

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 02:51:02 »
It hasn't rgb. Only normal leds.
If you want rgb leds and hotswap you should be able to find a pcb as it is quite common but I don't know one.
As for the material that depends on your budget, I think PC is the best if you have access / budget for CNC

Edit: I didn't found pcbs but found some cheap keebs.

Thanks for the info. Yes, sorry I just want normal LEDS and should've been more specific. Also, I did check out many of the available options on the cheap hot-swappable boards. Unfortunately, I just don't like the software the majority of these boards use. The VIA/QMK configurator on the WT80 is highly desirable for me.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 03:07:49 »

Thanks for the info. Yes, sorry I just want normal LEDS and should've been more specific. Also, I did check out many of the available options on the cheap hot-swappable boards. Unfortunately, I just don't like the software the majority of these boards use. The VIA/QMK configurator on the WT80 is highly desirable for me.

You're welcome.
Then the XD87 HS from kprepublic may also fit yours needs. Despite coming with other firmware, you can load QMK, at least on the not HS but despite the hotswap sockets I think they are the same, maybe someone else can confirm this.
But if you are planning spending good money then go for the pcb from Keycult as I'm quite sure it would be better.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline tnuhnivad

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 03:13:06 »

You're welcome.
Then the XD87 HS from kprepublic may also fit yours needs. Despite coming with other firmware, you can load QMK, at least on the not HS but despite the hotswap sockets I think they are the same, maybe someone else can confirm this.
But if you are planning spending good money then go for the pcb from Keycult as I'm quite sure it would be better.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Sweet, yea the hot-swap feature is just a + for me, I'm not to concerned about it since I'm set on the switches I want.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 07:53:05 »
Keep in mind, China shipping is HORRIBLE at the moment, it may be 4 months before you get what you're after.

If you plan on making this something you plan to keep and use heavily, hot swap may not be the best choice. Hot swap or not I'd suggest using something as a base that you can easily get a hold of in case something gets damaged. Starting with a limited edition pcb, then a one of case means if anything goes wrong the whole thing is toast. If you start with something common you will have parts to keep it going for years or even decades.

As for the sanity check.. While I appreciate Keycults ideas (fantastic stuff), their gasket mount has really screwed peoples perceptions. It's impossible to make a consistent keyboard with a dampening system this way.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tnuhnivad

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 11:44:59 »
Keep in mind, China shipping is HORRIBLE at the moment, it may be 4 months before you get what you're after.

If you plan on making this something you plan to keep and use heavily, hot swap may not be the best choice. Hot swap or not I'd suggest using something as a base that you can easily get a hold of in case something gets damaged. Starting with a limited edition pcb, then a one of case means if anything goes wrong the whole thing is toast. If you start with something common you will have parts to keep it going for years or even decades.

As for the sanity check.. While I appreciate Keycults ideas (fantastic stuff), their gasket mount has really screwed peoples perceptions. It's impossible to make a consistent keyboard with a dampening system this way.

Yea the shipping times are pretty rough right now, I bought the switches on Aliexpress and estmiated delivery was basically two months. I don't mind waiting though. I'm still piecing together information and waiting on some other parts. I'm just going to take my time with it. I ordered up a solderable TKL PCB, aluminum plate, and some poron mount pads from their website. As well as some Durock stab clones and keycap o-rings from amazon. Shipping on both those orders will only take a couple of days compared to the possibly several months on the switches so I'll have some time to think about frame options.

I suppose its not technically a true gasket mount and perhaps I should re word my description of a DIY frame. The tabs on the aluminum plate will allow for a nice sandwich or clamp type of frame that I'm thinking of. Regardless of material I'm thinking a basic frame that is two pieces that simply sandwich the plate tabs.