Author Topic: [IC] PBT SA Arctic Wolf  (Read 4802 times)

Offline LionGate

[IC] PBT SA Arctic Wolf
« on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:05:58 »
PBT SA Arctic Wolf

Inspiration:
This keyset is inspired by the arctic wolf (Canis lupus arctos). With few natural predators, this ferocious beast cowers to no one, even us world-conquering humans. The apex of the food chain and thriving among the freezing -53°C (-63°F) winters, the tenacity of the wolves cannot be understated.

Yet, among the grittiness and the pure animal kingdom carnage, there is an almost zen-like quality surrounding these majestic creatures. These kings and queens gracefully glide across the brilliant tundra, with their luxurious white coats shining for all their fearful subjects to admire. Set to a wonderfully natural backdrop of crisp Northern wind, breathtaking glaciers, and the shapely contours of Mother Earth, life goes on. This contrast between the bold and the zen of the wolf really spoke to us and we wanted to encapsulate this feeling in one of our keycap sets.

Scientifically, the wolves remain understudied because of their tendency to travel long distances in pitch black winter nights, which often deter the best scientists themselves. Our dark theme strives to emulate this fact, with the alphabet keys representing the expansive (and concealing) night. *edit: removed dark theme temporarily

Renders:

Novelties

Light Base Kit

Roadmap:
Technical Details About the Keycaps: TBD
Prices and Minimum Order Quantity: TBD
Vendors: TBD
Shipment details: TBD
Deskmats: Possibly?

Big shoutout to keyboardman0610 for helping me out with making this project a reality! We are both new to the custom keyboard/mechanical keyboard scene and we are brimming with ideas that we can’t wait to share with the community.

If you have any feedback or questions, or even some constructive criticism, please join our Discord server and feel free to message either of us (Void#7224 and keyboardman0610#3941)!

If you want to support this keycap set, please put the following in your signature!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104749.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/YysylR4.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2020, 14:49:13 by LionGate »

Offline MatthewPham

Re: [IC] PBT SA Arctic Wolf
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:13:33 »
just skimmed through it, who is gonna be the manu for the set? there is also some overlap with pulse with the dark set.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:21:38 »
Ok so I love the concept, but I have some issues. Two, basically.

First of all, I doubt that those colors are doable in PBT material. I imagine that you want to achieve that colorset with either doubleshotting or reverse dyesubbing. The problem being that no SA manufacturer I know of (SP, Maxkeys, Domikey) does reverse dyesubbingg and they only doubleshot ABS. Domikey specifically cannot do any dyesub at all, at least to my knowledge.

And second, the dark alphas look way too much like SA Pulse. Now, again I really love the concept and the novelties, but I think you will have trouble with that colorway, specially because MiTo has tried to shut off keysets that minimally resembled one of his own designs. As for the light alphas, they really look like this Maxkeys set . I don't know about Maxkeys, if they would pull off something like complaining about the colorway being similar to their set, but it is something to have in mind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:32:28 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline mode

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:30:55 »

First of all, I doubt that those colors are doable in PBT material. I imagine that you want to achieve that colorset with either doubleshotting or reverse dyesubbing. The problem being that no SA manufacturer I know (SP, Maxkeys, Domikey) of does not reverse dyesub and they only doubleshot ABS. Domikey specifically cannot do any dyesub at all, at least to my knowledge.

And second, the dark alphas look way too much like SA Pulse. Now, again I really love the concept and the novelties, but I think you will have trouble with that colorway, specially because MiTo has tried to shut off keysets that minimally resembled one of his own designs. As for the light alphas, they really look like this Maxkeys set . I don't know about Maxkeys, if they would pull off something like complaining about the colorway being similar to their set, but it is something to have in mind.

I pretty much agree with you, but it bothers me that mito would consider himself as the owner of a given colourscheme. I'm not a big fan of his sets, but that disinclines me to consider them in future.

Design? sure, you own that when it's unique, blocking the use of two similar colours is absurd.

Offline keyboardman0610

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:31:10 »
just skimmed through it, who is gonna be the manu for the set? there is also some overlap with pulse with the dark set.

Hi Matthew,
I am keyboardman0610 and I collaborated with LionGate (Void) for this keyset. I'll answer both of your questions below:
1. Our keyset will be manufactured by Signature Plastics. You can check them out here: https://www.solutionsinplastic.com/
2. Interestingly, we have never come across the Pulse set previously (which is understandable considering how new we are to the scene). We have removed it and we will rework our designs before adding it back to the post. Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,
keyboardman0610

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:38:52 »

First of all, I doubt that those colors are doable in PBT material. I imagine that you want to achieve that colorset with either doubleshotting or reverse dyesubbing. The problem being that no SA manufacturer I know (SP, Maxkeys, Domikey) of does not reverse dyesub and they only doubleshot ABS. Domikey specifically cannot do any dyesub at all, at least to my knowledge.

I pretty much agree with you, but it bothers me that mito would consider himself as the owner of a given colourscheme. I'm not a big fan of his sets, but that disinclines me to consider them in future.

Design? sure, you own that when it's unique, blocking the use of two similar colours is absurd.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to enter in the "can a colorway be owned?" debacle, nor would I want to judge MiTo on his decisions. Just poiting it out.

That being said, I'd easily get one set of these for me once this goes into GB.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 07:13:06 »
Did you actually check to make sure that Signature Plastics can do WDG on BFF for the modifiers? That will require either reverse dye sublimation (where the entire key minus the legend is dye sublimated with the darker-than-legend color), or double shot production with two colors of plastic, which is very rare and finicky for PBT keycap production.

Offline LionGate

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 14:42:25 »
Hey All!

Thank you guys so much for the quick feedback! There was actually a bit of miscommunication between myself and keyboardman0610. I am currently reaching out to Signature Plastics about the set -- my (possibly naive) image is to create a double-shot PBT SA keycap set. I will post updates on the technical state of the keycaps as soon as I hear back!

Sincerely,
LionGate

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 16:03:09 »
It would be fantastic if they are able to double shot PBT. that would open a whole new chapter in custom sets. I wouldn't be surprised to see many, many designers rerun their classic ABS sets in d/s PBT.

Offline growler

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:21:19 »
I'd love to see this, the demand would be huge. Mind you, if they could do this, why haven't they already?

growler

Don't just stare at it ...