Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2435462 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 12:55:56 »
Wasn't trying to be hostile, just trying to correct that small thing since I've seen it being repeated. 

Offline kilogeek

• Nostalgy of a time when quality was a value
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 14:16:05 »
I did not mean you were hostile, but english is not my mother tongue so it always takes me more time to post things, mainly when using words I only recently learned : to lube = lubrifier, so you lube with lube ? correct ?
"Ne pas subir" - Devise de Saint-Cyr.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 14:32:38 »
I did not mean you were hostile, but english is not my mother tongue so it always takes me more time to post things, mainly when using words I only recently learned : to lube = lubrifier, so you lube with lube ? correct ?
In English, the the noun is ‘lubricant’ and the verb is ‘to lubricate’. These get shortened to ‘lube’ and ‘to lube’. The other forms would be ‘lubed’, ‘lubing’, etc.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 14:34:27 by jacobolus »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 14:35:19 »

Ah, ok. I haven't done much French anything in years, so I misread the tone of your comment.  The language issue plus the fact that it's the impersonal internet can make things come off differently.

Yes, you lube with lube.  So you will lube your keyboard, you are lubing your keyboard, you lubed your keyboard.  It's one of those verbs where you don't add a second letter of the ending consonant when you conjugate.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 21:44:24 »
That sounds cool! I'm still using the stock black Alps, but one of my upcoming projects is to swap in New Matias click Alps switches into one. I've always preferred the clicky Alps versions myself.

Offline simon_C

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 05:07:19 »
I'm now starting to get a bit of an itch to design an 84 key board with alps switches... i forgot how much i like typing on alps. They have a nice mechanical pop to them.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 14:08:37 »
I'm now starting to get a bit of an itch to design an 84 key board with alps switches... i forgot how much i like typing on alps. They have a nice mechanical pop to them.

I'm the same, I've been day-dreaming about doing this, but have yet to make the commitment to start.  The main thing for me is I love my back-lighting, and this makes the project considerably more complicated.  So I'm not sure I would get enough enjoyment out of the board for the investment in time and money.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline blackbox

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 14:30:15 »
AT102W owner here. The ISO (102) layout seems very rare. Black complicated tactile ALPS. Currently looking for a complete ISO set of blank ALPS caps.

Show Image

Luckily I have an old broken AT102W with about 100 ALPS switches. I'd like to keep a few for when i need to perform surgery on mine (happened under the black caps), but if anyone needs one or two, I could perhaps take them off.

I have an AT102w too. What kind paint did you use to paint it?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 14:51:30 »
I have an AT102w too. What kind paint did you use to paint it?

AT101Ws came in black, presumably 102s did also.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:48:22 »

About time to necro this thread.

My Filco Zero (thanks Moose!) now has blue Alps.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 02:52:35 »

About time to necro this thread.

My Filco Zero (thanks Moose!) now has blue Alps.

Nice! How long did it take to switch it(question for Moose)?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 07:02:11 »
Nice! How long did it take to switch it?

I did the switch transplant. Removing the old ones is much harder than installing the new ones.

Depending on how efficient you are, I would suggest allowing an hour each for removing switches from the 2 boards and another hour for installing the new ones. If you are good and have good tools you might cut those times in half.

For me, when I have the thing completely apart, I use the opportunity to do a thorough cleaning, and often paint the plate, too.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 07:13:35 »
Nice! How long did it take to switch it?

I did the switch transplant. Removing the old ones is much harder than installing the new ones.

Depending on how efficient you are, I would suggest allowing an hour each for removing switches from the 2 boards and another hour for installing the new ones. If you are good and have good tools you might cut those times in half.

For me, when I have the thing completely apart, I use the opportunity to do a thorough cleaning, and often paint the plate, too.

nice. I switch swapped on two of my keyboards. one alps (dell at102w) and one cherry mx (CM QF XT). I have used a weller desoldering iron and I find it to be very easy to do with that tool.

The LAN table!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 07:18:17 »
I switch swapped on two of my keyboards. one alps (dell at102w)

My tools are the cheapest possible crap, but they do OK.

I filled a Dell AT101W with orange Alps from an old Apple, and whoever had built the Dell had bent over *every single leg* of every switch and I am not kidding.

Afterwards it is a fantastically sweet board, however!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 08:37:41 »
I filled a Dell AT101W with orange Alps from an old Apple, and whoever had built the Dell had bent over *every single leg* of every switch and I am not kidding.

This is also my experience with all 4 of the AT101Ws I have taken apart.  It is quite annoying when you compare the work required to get these bent legged switches out compared to straight legged ones.
Erlang your pants off

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:36:54 »

This is also my experience with all 4 of the AT101Ws I have taken apart.  It is quite annoying when you compare the work required to get these bent legged switches out compared to straight legged ones.

I have done a few as well. Usually I find only 5%-10% bent over, randomly around the board.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 14:28:07 »
I don’t find unbending the leads to be *that* bad, once I came up with a strategy for it. Here’s what I do:

(1) Remove the solder as with any unbent lead; I use a soldapullt. Do this for the whole board.
(2) Stick the pointy bent end of a little bent dental pick under a bent-over lead, apply a soldering iron to the lead/pad, and pry upward a bit until the lead unsticks from the pad/hole. At this point the lead is detached from the pad but still bent over. Do this for all bent leads. Usually it doesn’t take much pressure to unstick the lead from the pad and this is very easy; sometimes it’s tricky when the pad wants to lift up off the board. Don’t let it.
(3) Use a pair of small snipe-nosed pliers to unbend each bent lead.
(4) Verify that all leads are properly unstuck from the circuit board, and remove any screws holding the circuit board to the plate, etc., then just pick the circuit board up, as it should be completely loose now.
(5) Carefully remove the switches from the plate. If the plate is tight, then for Alps switches try to push the little plastic "wings" in on one side and then on the other while pulling the switch out of the plate, as otherwise they have a tendency to break.

On average, a switch with bent-over leads takes about twice as much effort to remove as one where the leads are straight. This is annoying, but not impossibly bad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 May 2014, 14:32:16 by jacobolus »

Offline xixihaha2008

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 04:00:34 »
ALPS fans  :D
IBM M 1390131 ALPS SKCM blue switches,Nov 86
Some high resolution pictures updated!!!
http://xiangce.baidu.com/picture/album/list/5a6c7908687be23f1d2ef80de074fe040d81c660?isscore=1#pic

74235-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 02:33:56 by xixihaha2008 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:20:51 »

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:23:50 »
Agreed, please show us some pictures :D

Offline xixihaha2008

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:03:02 »
Agreed, please show us some pictures :D

It's coming! ;D

Offline calavera

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:06:52 »
IBM blue alps that's cool and weird at the same time.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:21:04 »
Mind-blowing.

The 1390131 always was my favorite, I am astonished that this did not get a different model number.

Are those keycaps all the same profile? Even more implausible!

Now we can start dreaming about 2-piece Alps keys with interchangeable caps!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:30:25 »
ALPS fans  :D IBM M 1390131 ALPS SKCM blue switches,Nov 86
You have me pretty confused about how you made this picture. Could you please take a picture of one keycap from each row from the side and one keycap from each row from the bottom? (i.e. just pull them off and set them next to each other on a table)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:30:41 »
That's definitely a mod. A nice mod, though.

Offline Parak

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:42:55 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 21:24:30 »

That's definitely a mod. A nice mod, though.

That or they stuck a different keyboard into the case.

My thought too.  Not the video, but the fakeness of it.

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #177 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 22:34:53 »
The logo gives it away. It's not set into the plastic, but on top of it. Seems to be little more than one of those Model M case look-alikes with the IBM badge glued on top. The keycaps likely came from an IBM PS/2 luggable, since they often used ALPS or ALPS mount switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 22:36:50 by Jotokun »
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 00:18:51 »
The donor board is sort of interesting though... Costar-style stabilizers, and matching the 1390131 layout exactly.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 00:49:42 »
The donor board is sort of interesting though... Costar-style stabilizers, and matching the 1390131 layout exactly.
I’m also curious about that. Most of the Alps boards I’ve seen with costar-style stabilizers had a “bigass enter” key.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 01:07:59 »
The logo gives it away. It's not set into the plastic, but on top of it. Seems to be little more than one of those Model M case look-alikes with the IBM badge glued on top. The keycaps likely came from an IBM PS/2 luggable, since they often used ALPS or ALPS mount switches.
No, the keycaps are definitely not the same as the ones on a P70/P75 luggable.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 01:46:38 »
I have used and really liked the Matias Quiet Alps.

They are however very heavy in my opinion. Because of this they are probably not for everyone. I still really like them, but eventually decided against using them as my daily driver. Some people on this forum described them as though they feel like browns. In my own opinion, this is very inaccurate.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 01:58:47 »
I agree Matias switches are of a medium-heavy weight. I personally would prefer them if they were maybe 10 grams-force less to actuate. You can change the stiffness by replacing the spring or cutting some loops off.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 02:00:27 by jacobolus »

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 02:40:28 »
That Alps IBM Model M … just, wow.

The top row keycaps are too tall, presumably to compensate for not having a curved PCB and plate. The legends are spot on, though.

Do want.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 03:20:19 »
In IRC, we’re pretty much all convinced it’s a photoshop job. Pretty cutely done though.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 03:24:30 »
If it's Photoshopped, why would you draw the IBM badge incorrectly?
Bore Awards

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 18:13:00 »
If that's done in Photoshop, then he's gone to a lot of trouble to get the SysRq legend consistently wrong in both of the photos it appears in.
Bore Awards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 20:07:15 »
Had me going, there for a while.

So, is it agreed that this is a hoax?

The photo show inconsistencies in heights and fit, but it was pretty clever anyway!

Offline xixihaha2008

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 21:33:59 »
Had me going, there for a while.

So, is it agreed that this is a hoax?

The photo show inconsistencies in heights and fit, but it was pretty clever anyway!
Please be patient...
I will take pictures and upload all pictures, including key caps, circuit boards and case

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 14:31:16 »
Please be patient...
I will take pictures and upload all pictures, including key caps, circuit boards and case
Uh huh...

Cute prank though. Kudos.

Offline xixihaha2008

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:07:30 »
U are Right :D
 It's faked IBM M Keyboard that is made in by Taiwan

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 06:14:49 »
Was this a commercial product, then, or a demonstration?
Bore Awards

Offline jadoob

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 23:12:14 »
Ok, just to change directions a bit from this fake IBM Alps nonsense for a sec and going back to the Matias talk.

I recently bought an Omnikey 102 locally and decided to restore it. All the switches are good except one. So I decide why not try the only company that still makes Alps switches, Matias (seemed alot easier than finding a used parts-only board.)

The results are not even close. I had read someone on this forum that mentioned a hollow sound from the Matias clickies that thought maybe it was because the Matias boards were all PCB mounted. This is not the case, this keyboard the keys are mounted on a thick plate of steel. I'm sure they are great to type on but they are not drop-in replacements for complicated white alps for anyone doing restorations on those type of boards.
“I may not always be right, but I care passionately about what is true
and I never say anything that I do not believe to be right.”
--Richard Dawkins, _The Blind Watchmaker_

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 23:37:14 »
The sound and feel is remarkably dependent on the system they're in.

The same Matias switches sounded very different in a Dell AT101W (super-thick steel plate) and a Ducky 1008XM (thin plate and PCB).  Neither sounded quite like the Simplified Whites on a like-new Focus 2001.

I will also suggest wear and dirt and age-- if one switch is fully defunct, others may have a fair bit of mileage on them.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:26:29 »
The results are not even close. I had read someone on this forum that mentioned a hollow sound from the Matias clickies that thought maybe it was because the Matias boards were all PCB mounted. This is not the case, this keyboard the keys are mounted on a thick plate of steel. I'm sure they are great to type on but they are not drop-in replacements for complicated white alps for anyone doing restorations on those type of boards.
Matias clicky switches feel somewhat similar to complicated Alps switches, but they definitely don’t sound the same. This is because they have only two little pieces of metal for the actual switch contact, instead of a very complicated switchplate assembly. I still like them though.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 07:11:42 »

Chicony KB 7000. Complicated whites. Used and loved it for many years!

Don't ask me how, but I lost the top part of the case when I moved.  :'(

Probably just going to snatch all the switches out of it and grab the doubleshots as I don't use it anymore due to sheer size.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 12:59:21 »
My latest and first Complicated White ALPS board: Focus FK-2001. Bought it on ebay in like new condition.

Full album:
http://imgur.com/a/sYdzk/all
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 09:39:58 »

Show Image

sup

Damn, love this orange..   :thumb: Do you still have it?

Offline xixihaha2008

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 19:14:46 »
NEC PK-KB015 ALPS SKCL yellow switch[NIB] :p

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 19:18:54 »
NEC PK-KB015 ALPS SKCL yellow switch[NIB] :p

That is one wonky looking board.  Love it.  How do you like the Yellow Alps?