geekhack Marketplace > Artisan Services

Lets just call this market research: Ideas on doing a IBM Model M mod service...

(1/7) > >>

ezrahilyer:
I have been pretty well bitten by the Model M modification bug. I have done several conversions using an internal teensy, and a beautiful flush-mount internal USB connection. (I am quite proud of this) see how great it looks:

I have also come up with my own system for bolt-modding, except I am using small screws and washers to keep the keyboard plate very thin and to replicate the original rivets pretty closely. here is a pic of that:

I have now made and sold a few of these M122 keyboard conversions, and I love it. I am working on a very detailed how-to for people who are mechanically inclined, so that they can do this themselves. I am putting it up on my blog: http://straypoetry.com/ibm-model-m-keyboard/ (It is not finished yet, but go ahead and check it out and let me know what you think)

Anyway, I have been asked a few times if I would do a conversion on a keyboard for someone who doesn't want to do it themselves, and I am considering starting a service to convert the M122s, and standard model M's to USB using Soarers converter, and doing bolt-Mods.

My question to you is this: What do you think would be a good price-point? something that would be reasonable given the time involved, and allow me to make enough to make it worthwhile? ( the raw material costs are: $16 for the Teensy, $4.50 for the Bulkhead connector, $6 for the Screws, $4.50 for the washers, so that is : $31 in materials alone without shipping or incidentals like cleaning supplies, or anything like that)

I am also looking for ideas on what types of services might be wanted... I would do Screw-mods, and USB conversions, but what about just general cleaning, and maybe dying the keyboards... Doing ANSI conversions for the M122s, and maybe even doing a Raspberry Pi inside, or some hidden USB storage inside.
Any and all ideas and comments welcome..
-Ezra

GL1TCH3D:
Looks really good and looks like you've thought it through a bit. For obvious reasons you'll want to charge the exact shipping cost. It's normal practice to do that anyway.
You could factor in about $10/hr of your work since I don't think anyone would consider that unfair.
If it takes you 3 hours to finish the mods then charge roughly $30 premium?

SpAmRaY:
Don't have any useful to add other than to say your blog looks very nice!

HoffmanMyster:
First, I want to say that this is a cool service to offer and I fully support it. (Though I don't need it myself)

Second, I've moved this to Artisan Services, as that's more fitting for the service you will be offering. If you have any questions about this decision, please PM me.  :)

Best of luck!   :thumb:

mreverything:

--- Quote from: HoffmanMyster on Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:06:17 ---I want to say that this is a cool service to offer and I fully support it. (Though I don't need it myself)

--- End quote ---

Same here. I don't need this service now, but it looks like you're doing a great job and I could use an excuse to pick up a Model M...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version