Author Topic: [IC] Mech27-TKLv2 | Made in Canada  (Read 24045 times)

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
[IC] Mech27-TKLv2 | Made in Canada
« on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:30:42 »

Mech27-TKLv2
Canadian Made

What is the Mech27-TKL?
  • Winkeyless TKL layout
  • Supports split left and right shift, split backspace, and ansi/iso enters
  • 6061 aluminum anodized in silver, black, navy blue, and a bright red with a brass plate.
  • Kit includes top case, bottom case, plate, pcb, and genuine cherry stabilizers

How much will it cost?

As of now, the Mech27-TKLv2 will cost approximately $400USD + Shipping.  Shipping will be calculated at checkout.

How many will be made, and how can I get one?

With a MOQ of 50 units and a hard limit of 50 units, they will be sold via raffle hosted on geekhack and r/mk.  Winners will be provided a one-time use coupon code to be used during checkout at Mech27.com
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:34:13 by 27 »
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
Re: [IC] Mech27-TKLv2 | Made in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:31:06 »
Reserved for minor updates.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Gajible

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:31:23 »
 :thumb: :-*

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:35:03 »
oh **** get hype for v2 everybody

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:39:48 »
HYPE!  :thumb:

I was waiting for this to happen but a bit sad that it's a raffle for only 50 units.  :'(

Offline bminhz

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:40:25 »
Looking good, can't wait!

Offline avid

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:42:25 »
Very nice! Really like the silver, but would probably lean towards navy.

1. Is this compatible with tx84/7 pcb?
2. Is there any ETA?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:43:59 »
No more brass weight?  :-[
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:45:08 »
Very nice! Really like the silver, but would probably lean towards navy.

1. Is this compatible with tx84/7 pcb?
2. Is there any ETA?

I'm actually looking in to using the tx87 pcb :)

I just need to sort out the plate, pcb, and stabilizer pricing/sources and I'll be ready to launch the gb. 4 weeks max.

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:45:38 »

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:46:08 »
Sadly no, I have to decrease costs a little to offset the lower quantity and higher cost of the main pieces due to being made locally.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:48:02 »
Ehh raffle... Let's go my luck

Offline Trente

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:57:01 »
Several question in my mind:

1. Would there be other material besides brass for the plate? Maybe stainless steel, alu, thick polycarb, or even PCB material? Brass is a very good one, but just want to know if there are also some other option available.

2. Curious if there could be alps compatible support? Like if the case can fit the leeku's Alps PCB, or if there would be alps compatible plate? (even with custom order and extra money?)

3. So if I really want cerokate, can I get a raw case (no anodize) and do it myself?

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:00:18 »

1. Would there be other material besides brass for the plate? Maybe stainless steel, alu, thick polycarb, or even PCB material? Brass is a very good one, but just want to know if there are also some other option available.

2. Curious if there could be alps compatible support? Like if the case can fit the leeku's Alps PCB, or if there would be alps compatible plate? (even with custom order and extra money?)

3. So if I really want cerokate, can I get a raw case (no anodize) and do it myself?

I can answer Question 2. This uses the standard A87 form factor PCB, so you can get an Alphas PCB from Leeku and use it in this case (as long as you get a custom Alps plate made)

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:03:45 »

To answer your questions, I'm looking into offering polycarbonate plates in addition to the brass, but in order to reach price breaks the basic kit is required.

The current plate design I am using is mx/alps compatible, so any A.87 compatible pcb with the usb on the top will fit.

I will not be offering unfinished boards, as places that do cerakote will have to strip and clean it regardless.  Anodized aluminum is also a little bit harder than raw, making it just a little bit safer to transport.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:05:40 by 27 »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:07:34 »
Why are all the navy blue keyboards TKL? First the Norbauer case and now this  :'( :'( :'(

Someone please make a navy blue 60% and I’ll love them forever.

Offline plugable

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:12:55 »
My body is ready. Looks great!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:42:40 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Trente

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:50:37 »

I can answer Question 2. This uses the standard A87 form factor PCB, so you can get an Alphas PCB from Leeku and use it in this case (as long as you get a custom Alps plate made)

To answer your questions, I'm looking into offering polycarbonate plates in addition to the brass, but in order to reach price breaks the basic kit is required.

The current plate design I am using is mx/alps compatible, so any A.87 compatible pcb with the usb on the top will fit.

I will not be offering unfinished boards, as places that do cerakote will have to strip and clean it regardless.  Anodized aluminum is also a little bit harder than raw, making it just a little bit safer to transport.

Gotcha, thanks for the answer! Also would it be possible for mix and match for the color? Like top case red and bottom black?
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 19:53:31 by Trente »

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 20:00:47 »
Sadly no, I have to decrease costs a little to offset the lower quantity and higher cost of the main pieces due to being made locally.

So what’s the weight difference of round 2 compared to round 1?

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 20:15:53 »

Gotcha, thanks for the answer! Also would it be possible for mix and match for the color? Like top case red and bottom black?

I don't know if I'll offer mixed colour orders, as that adds a LOT more work during the sorting process and I'm still only one person.  I want to avoid being overwhelmed like I was with v1.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 20:21:41 »

So what’s the weight difference of round 2 compared to round 1?

I can't answer the exact difference right now, but 500g-850g difference would be a decent ballpark.  The weight of the top and bottom prototype in the pictures is 1.9kg

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 20:56:26 »
Why are all the navy blue keyboards TKL? First the Norbauer case and now this  :'( :'( :'(

Someone please make a navy blue 60% and I’ll love them forever.

I ask in every non-TKL IC for cases to be made in navy blue.  Just never happens.  TKL doesn't interest me very much but I need dat navy!!
keyboards.

Offline Trente

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 21:03:06 »
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I know the case is compatible with a.87 type PCB, but I am wondering if filco PCB is one of them, since would like to use a LFK TKL PCB with this case

Offline Undrcontrl

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 21:08:53 »
Already in!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 22:05:35 »
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I know the case is compatible with a.87 type PCB, but I am wondering if filco PCB is one of them, since would like to use a LFK TKL PCB with this case

No, the USB is in the wrong place, and I believe the F-row spacing is slightly different.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 22:09:09 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline idlemao

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 22:49:11 »
I'd like to get in on this.

Offline FilthyMike720

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 00:42:36 »
Stoked to have a chance at this!

Offline wodan

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 02:13:10 »
Excited to hear this is going into the next round.

Unexcited to hear it's going to be some raffle stuff ... I'm oot

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 04:17:11 »
can i just buy 2 boxes
I love Elzy

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 04:46:11 »
Ouuu baby. Good luck. Love the Mech27-TKL v1 so much. If I needed another TKL this would be the one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline jihadu

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 05:12:32 »
hype

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 05:52:42 »
Can we have a pic of the side profile please? :)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 07:26:12 »
Are you telling me we can use this WITHOUT a diffuser now?

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 09:41:56 »
Are you telling me we can use this WITHOUT a diffuser now?

Designed diffuser free  :thumb:

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 09:56:22 »
Can we have a pic of the side profile please? :)

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:27:07 »
You had piqued my interest until I saw the price and then the raffle completely killed any interest I did have.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:28:06 »
For the people complaining about raffle: would you like to suggest an alternative?

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:31:59 »

No Filco and Phantom/LFK PCBs will not fit

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 13:22:45 »
For the people complaining about raffle: would you like to suggest an alternative?

No, no I would not thanks.

Offline avid

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 13:37:38 »

FCFS?

Offline Gajible

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:09:07 »

FCFS?

That's even more salt inducing.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:42:15 »
You had piqued my interest until I saw the price and then the raffle completely killed any interest I did have.

if going to be brutally honest I agree with the above. I also don't understand the hard limit of 50 Keyboards with a MOQ of 50 or the need to have them manufactured locally at a higher price with lower quality then the first group buy. I mean understand the first buy you got burned.. that sucks.. but perhaps it would have been better to try and give the design over to another and let them run a proper group buy. Where quality would have been higher.. cost lower and units produced could meet demand!

I mean like said want a TKL. I would have been in the market for this are time if the prices would have been more reasonable. While time looks to be extremely quality almost Rolls Royce levels and its price is understandable. This comes with out the brass weight. The case is more simple color selection is toned way way down from previous buy. I just don't see it being worth anywhere close to the 400 dollars + shipping your asking. The hype this item is getting is startling to say the least and shows me perhaps I am not as hardcore a enthusiast as some who must buy everything they see regardless.

Though do wish you good luck with the group buy raffle can't really call it a group buy its more a artisan raffle then Group buy. hope things work out nicely for you! and that all units sale. but if there is a round 3 perhaps handing the original designs over to someone else to produce would be better solution.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 15:49:50 »

if going to be brutally honest I agree with the above. I also don't understand the hard limit of 50 Keyboards with a MOQ of 50 or the need to have them manufactured locally at a higher price with lower quality then the first group buy. I mean understand the first buy you got burned.. that sucks.. but perhaps it would have been better to try and give the design over to another and let them run a proper group buy. Where quality would have been higher.. cost lower and units produced could meet demand!

I mean like said want a TKL. I would have been in the market for this are time if the prices would have been more reasonable. While time looks to be extremely quality almost Rolls Royce levels and its price is understandable. This comes with out the brass weight. The case is more simple color selection is toned way way down from previous buy. I just don't see it being worth anywhere close to the 400 dollars + shipping your asking. The hype this item is getting is startling to say the least and shows me perhaps I am not as hardcore a enthusiast as some who must buy everything they see regardless.

Though do wish you good luck with the group buy raffle can't really call it a group buy its more a artisan raffle then Group buy. hope things work out nicely for you! and that all units sale. but if there is a round 3 perhaps handing the original designs over to someone else to produce would be better solution.

So what makes this lower quality than the first group buy?  Because it doesn't have a weight? Because it doesn't offer as many colours?  The entire point of local manufacturing is higher quality, better qc, less lead time, and being able to effectively communicate what I need and want to my manufacturer.

Also to explain the MOQ and hard limit of 50, I'm one person, a lot of things went wrong in v1 and a large part of that was allowing it to be overly complicated with colour combinations and a higher quantity.

Frankly I'm a little insulted that you're suggesting I just stick to designing and leave myself out of the production of it, but I can understand that people want something to be cheaper and have wider availability.

Offline koduh

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 15:58:24 »
but I can understand that people want something to be cheaper and have wider availability.

They can just stick with Coolermaster and Corsair. You do you babe.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:12:47 »
I also don't understand the hard limit of 50 Keyboards with a MOQ of 50 or the need to have them manufactured locally at a higher price with lower quality then the first group buy.

27 covered this in his post, but how is this "lower quality?" If anything it's better. The price break to get the lowest price is at 50 units, and 27 thinks that doing any more would make it hard for him to handle the logistics of it. This was the main issue in round 1, and if I were 27, this is how I would do it as well.

but perhaps it would have been better to try and give the design over to another and let them run a proper group buy

And lose control over his own buy? This is just rude.

While time looks to be extremely quality almost Rolls Royce levels and its price is understandable.

So gaudy and overpriced (No offense to Senter, he's clearly put a lot of work into TIME TKL)? Comparing keyboards to cars is pretty lame, IMO. This isn't trying to be the best of the best. Mech27 V2 is basically a Jane with no weight, for half the aftermarket price. That's objectively a good deal.

This comes with out the brass weight. The case is more simple color selection is toned way way down from previous buy.

Duck's boards have no weight and 2-3 colors, people seem to like those. 356CL DGE only has one, and people pay more for that than almost anything else.

I just don't see it being worth anywhere close to the 400 dollars + shipping your asking.

Without revealing too much: I've seen the cost breakdown, and you'd be surprised by the price of machine time outside of China, especially in Canada/USA. The price is justified. 27 has been looking into how to reduce it, and there isn't much left to reduce.

But if there is a round 3 perhaps handing the original designs over to someone else to produce would be better solution.

And I thought I was rude...

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:19:22 »

So what makes this lower quality than the first group buy?  Because it doesn't have a weight? Because it doesn't offer as many colours?  The entire point of local manufacturing is higher quality, better qc, less lead time, and being able to effectively communicate what I need and want to my manufacturer.

Also to explain the MOQ and hard limit of 50, I'm one person, a lot of things went wrong in v1 and a large part of that was allowing it to be overly complicated with colour combinations and a higher quantity.

Frankly I'm a little insulted that you're suggesting I just stick to designing and leave myself out of the production of it, but I can understand that people want something to be cheaper and have wider availability.

Didn't mean to offend ya but yea... its not a group buy its a raffle for a pre production product.

As far as quality goes this one just doesn't look to be up to the same quality as previous buy. There fewer color's to select from and the lack of brass weight that is inserted also are any weight. What I can tell this one just has a maple leaf milled into the back of the aluminum for the case.

At 400 dollars I expect lots of color options outside of the standard norms. I expect a brass weight and perhaps a brass plate to boot. Perhaps my expectations are askew thought I don't think so. They are just my expectations thought. There not for everyone. I Knew posting what I did might cause some ripples but o will. I think my opinion is just as valid as those who praise the product.

Yes I think the v1 was extremely nice and asking for help is never a bad thing. The fact your a single person running the buy is a automatic no thank you! I don't think you have any ill will what so ever. Lets get that clear right now. I think you most likely upstanding person I mean that.

There always the life factor that must be balanced into any equation. Things happen and we can't stop them and being a single person.. means if those things happen during a fulfillment such as this it could mean obvious downtime and delay's and much more. That's another reason I would suggest having least 1 or 2 more people helping are handing it off to a team of people. As some of the group buys are done for keycaps like Candykey's are ZFrontier.  That way if something happens people aren't left in the dark. This might sound cold but its not meant to be once again its just one very unpopular opinion and I still wish you the very best of luck with your Raffle. I hope things go smoothly. I hope everything is fulfilled. Perhaps I look like a jerk when people start posting there first builds and it blows all expectations away.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:22:13 »
I also don't understand the hard limit of 50 Keyboards with a MOQ of 50 or the need to have them manufactured locally at a higher price with lower quality then the first group buy.

27 covered this in his post, but how is this "lower quality?" If anything it's better. The price break to get the lowest price is at 50 units, and 27 thinks that doing any more would make it hard for him to handle the logistics of it. This was the main issue in round 1, and if I were 27, this is how I would do it as well.

but perhaps it would have been better to try and give the design over to another and let them run a proper group buy

While time looks to be extremely quality almost Rolls Royce levels and its price is understandable.

So gaudy and overpriced (No offense to Senter, he's clearly put a lot of work into TIME TKL)? Comparing keyboards to cars is pretty lame, IMO. This isn't trying to be the best of the best. Mech27 V2 is basically a Jane with no weight, for half the aftermarket price. That's objectively a good deal.

This comes with out the brass weight. The case is more simple color selection is toned way way down from previous buy.

Duck's boards have no weight and 2-3 colors, people seem to like those. 356CL DGE only has one, and people pay more for that than almost anything else.

I just don't see it being worth anywhere close to the 400 dollars + shipping your asking.

Without revealing too much: I've seen the cost breakdown, and you'd be surprised by the price of machine time outside of China, especially in Canada/USA. The price is justified. 27 has been looking into how to reduce it, and there isn't much left to reduce.

But if there is a round 3 perhaps handing the original designs over to someone else to produce would be better solution.

I didn't mean to come off rude only honest and helpful. I am going to just take it my post really didn't come off that way. Hopefully the second post sheds some more light on things. Perhaps I am just way out of my league when it comes to higher end keyboard and expectations. I mean am new so perhaps expectations don't meet reality. Either way never meant to offend only give feedback.

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:26:09 »

tbf...... comparing this to 356 dge is a bit unfair even duck...