Author Topic: [IC] Mech27-TKLv2 | Made in Canada  (Read 24041 times)

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
Re: [IC] Mech27-TKLv2 | Made in Canada
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:32:01 »
I also don't understand the hard limit of 50 Keyboards with a MOQ of 50 or the need to have them manufactured locally at a higher price with lower quality then the first group buy.

27 covered this in his post, but how is this "lower quality?" If anything it's better. The price break to get the lowest price is at 50 units, and 27 thinks that doing any more would make it hard for him to handle the logistics of it. This was the main issue in round 1, and if I were 27, this is how I would do it as well.

but perhaps it would have been better to try and give the design over to another and let them run a proper group buy

And lose control over his own buy? This is just rude.

While time looks to be extremely quality almost Rolls Royce levels and its price is understandable.

So gaudy and overpriced (No offense to Senter, he's clearly put a lot of work into TIME TKL)? Comparing keyboards to cars is pretty lame, IMO. This isn't trying to be the best of the best. Mech27 V2 is basically a Jane with no weight, for half the aftermarket price. That's objectively a good deal.

This comes with out the brass weight. The case is more simple color selection is toned way way down from previous buy.

Duck's boards have no weight and 2-3 colors, people seem to like those. 356CL DGE only has one, and people pay more for that than almost anything else.

I just don't see it being worth anywhere close to the 400 dollars + shipping your asking.

Without revealing too much: I've seen the cost breakdown, and you'd be surprised by the price of machine time outside of China, especially in Canada/USA. The price is justified. 27 has been looking into how to reduce it, and there isn't much left to reduce.

But if there is a round 3 perhaps handing the original designs over to someone else to produce would be better solution.

And I thought I was rude...

tbf...... comparing this to 356 dge is a bit unfair even duck...

To be fair that was just on the point of colour selection.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 17:06:20 »
GL 27 looks real clean :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 18:51:21 »
Whats the angle? Same as Jane/V1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 19:04:18 »
Whats the angle? Same as Jane/V1?

Yupp, 8 degrees.  I'm working on some more flexible CAD so I can adjust the angle easily for future designs.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Captain Shwah

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 20:02:01 »
I just want to pop in and say that I'm ridiculously excited for v2. I wasn't around for v1 but a Mech27 has become one of my dream boards and the fact that this version is made in Canada makes it even more interesting.

Sure, a raffle is not as ideal as an unrestricted buy but 27's sanity is important too :thumb:

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 21:54:41 »
So this ready raffle yet?  Looks so stunning.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 22:18:10 »
$400? its no wonder manufacturing is dead in north america. good luck.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 05:28:13 »
Hey 27, v2 looks great!

I have a v1 but was not part of the original GB. Any chance of a PCB and plate being offered separately? I've been itching to get a brass plate I'm this thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline airs

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 17:30:08 »

Wut? Try comparing that cost with Korean customs.
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 19:17:08 »

Wut? Try comparing that cost with Korean customs.

spoiler alert: it's the same

400 is about right for most TKLs
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 20:45:30 »
I though GH was supposed to be more aware of prices and keyboards than reddit lol...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 21:27:24 »
I though GH was supposed to be more aware of prices and keyboards than reddit lol...

lotta new people on here lately is all

the custom kit community is fairly small
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 02:10:22 »
lol
I love Elzy

Offline braidn

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 07:37:01 »

lotta new people on here lately is all

the custom kit community is fairly small

Couldn’t agree more with this.

Offline techfresh

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 09:16:54 »
If not offering a weight, maybe design an insert on the inside so someone could run a custom weight GB like it’s done for Ducks?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 10:45:23 »
a lot of things went wrong in v1 and a large part of that was allowing it to be overly complicated with colour combinations and a higher quantity
no surprise there. too many customization options is asking for trouble, case in point the E8-V1 GB

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 14:00:14 »
If not offering a weight, maybe design an insert on the inside so someone could run a custom weight GB like it’s done for Ducks?

I'll talk to 27 about it, but don't hold your breath.

a lot of things went wrong in v1 and a large part of that was allowing it to be overly complicated with colour combinations and a higher quantity
no surprise there. too many customization options is asking for trouble, case in point the E8-V1 GB

Different issues.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 14:28:10 »
Different issues.
you seem to have an opinion on everything. good for you!

Offline skaloola

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 02:38:14 »
No chance for Winkey layout?  Don't understand why the WKL layout is so popular, is it just aesthetics?  The look of the blockers + big spacebar?

I mainly use Linux/OSX and work in terminals/editors/IDEs all day, can't imagine life w/o command key (or function key on the other side).

Can't fathom why a Windows user would prefer not having a Winkey either.

Anyways, like this board and hoping there will be a Winkey option.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 02:45:00 »
No chance for Winkey layout?

As far as I've talked to 27, correct.

Don't understand why the WKL layout is so popular, is it just aesthetics?  The look of the blockers + big spacebar?

Yes.

I mainly use Linux/OSX and work in terminals/editors/IDEs all day, can't imagine life w/o command key (or function key on the other side).

It's fully programmable. You can remap it and program in macros with Jigon, should this go forward with TX87 PCB.

Can't fathom why a Windows user would prefer not having a Winkey either.

I remap it to right control, since I don't use it very often. I map FN to pause if I don't need it. If I don't, I map it to right alt.

Sometimes I remap things into the nav cluster, since I don't use it very much, either.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 02:49:49 by Puddsy »

Offline lshlsh1995

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 07:54:51 »
It is about the same for all the TKL keyboard. Take a look at those expensive keycaps, they are expensive! Even keycaps from Vietnam like JellyKey is pricey too. (People used to think Made in China stuff were cheap, but now people are thinking that at least Made in China is better than Made in Vietnam, though Made in Italy stuff is still the luxury. BTW, I am just saying what I hear and I don't think I am discriminating against Vietnam, and I do think some keycaps from Vietnam look soooo good........)

Titanium Keyboard kits are much much more expensive. They are like about $1000-2000 even from Asian countries. The good thing about them is you can always get unique design with your own taste. I mean you can ask the designer to even make it shinier than a Corsair.... But titanum is a good metal and pricey than silver anyway, so many Koreans are buying them. They are mainly from China and Koreans start to buy them from China.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 22:54:32 »
Appreciate and understand raffle

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 09:26:26 »
It is about the same for all the TKL keyboard. Take a look at those expensive keycaps, they are expensive! Even keycaps from Vietnam like JellyKey is pricey too. (People used to think Made in China stuff were cheap, but now people are thinking that at least Made in China is better than Made in Vietnam, though Made in Italy stuff is still the luxury. BTW, I am just saying what I hear and I don't think I am discriminating against Vietnam, and I do think some keycaps from Vietnam look soooo good........)

Titanium Keyboard kits are much much more expensive. They are like about $1000-2000 even from Asian countries. The good thing about them is you can always get unique design with your own taste. I mean you can ask the designer to even make it shinier than a Corsair.... But titanum is a good metal and pricey than silver anyway, so many Koreans are buying them. They are mainly from China and Koreans start to buy them from China.
wat

where are these titanium keyboards lol

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 09:39:07 »

wat

where are these titanium keyboards lol

on ur spaceship

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 17:49:47 »
Hey everyone!

I've received quotes for the PCB. I will be using the TX87 PCB, which uses Jigon as a mapping tool/firmware.

I'm also waiting to hear back from my local manufacturer to see if they can produce the brass plates, but if they can not they will refer me to another local manufacturer that can.

In the coming week I'll be building the prototype with a V1 plate and will make sure to take plenty of pictures of the process.

Thanks for the support.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 22:08:17 »
Excited to see pics! :)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 15:41:32 »
Is there no other option for TKL PCB's besides the Jigon based ones? I would love for some QMK
-Dana

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 15:49:21 »
Is there no other option for TKL PCB's besides the Jigon based ones? I would love for some QMK

At current, not anything easily available.

Snowpro exists, but it virtually impossible to get outside of Korea. I'm pretty sure that it's not QMK, either.

I've heard rumors that there is a QMK A.87 PCB in the works, but it's still a ways off.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 17:43:28 »

At current, not anything easily available.

Snowpro exists, but it virtually impossible to get outside of Korea. I'm pretty sure that it's not QMK, either.

I've heard rumors that there is a QMK A.87 PCB in the works, but it's still a ways off.

Basically I'm not in a position to have my own pcbs manufactured, so QMK is off the table unless someone is willing to port QMK to the TX87 pcb.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 20:33:49 »

There is a TMK fork for L3 PCBs https://github.com/xauser/tmk_keyboard/tree/xauser

Offline poolside

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 19:01:35 »
Will the V1 plates be compatible with the V2 ones?

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 19:07:42 »
Will the V1 plates be compatible with the V2 ones?

Yes, they will.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 19:12:45 »
Hey 27, v2 looks great!

I have a v1 but was not part of the original GB. Any chance of a PCB and plate being offered separately? I've been itching to get a brass plate I'm this thing.

Just quoting myself as I don't think my question was seen...

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 19:15:39 »
Hey 27, v2 looks great!

Just quoting myself as I don't think my question was seen...

I'm not sure if I'll be able to offer individual parts due to that increasing the amount of sorting, packaging, and shipping that would be required.  I'll have a better idea at GB launch.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:07:35 »
Better pictures will come in the next couple of days!

Offline idlemao

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 18:33:05 »

Now I want this even more. But now I'm conflicted between the blue or the silver here, which looks so great with the GMK 9009 I'm getting soon.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 20:13:46 »

Now I want this even more. But now I'm conflicted between the blue or the silver here, which looks so great with the GMK 9009 I'm getting soon.

9009 goes with everything

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 10:21:52 »
Mod Edit: Removed offensive post; user has been warned
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2017, 08:43:27 by HoffmanMyster »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline bbmathlvr

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 17:17:36 »
This looks really good. Fingers crossed that this can be my first quality custom MX board  ;D
Probably TeX'ing right now.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 20:29:13 »

What the **** is this ****ty post?

Offline Slopes

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 07:01:23 »
You had piqued my interest until I saw the price and then the raffle completely killed any interest I did have.

you're telling me you don't want to spend 400USD on a keyboard case? you're crazy.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:35:44 »
Bringing it back on topic.

I'm just putting together the final details, GB thread should be up tonight, tomorrow at latest.

Offline avid

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:36:55 »
Wow, love that color. Is that silver or grey?

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:37:29 »
Wow, love that color. Is that silver or grey?

That's silver, grey won't be offered for this run.

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 14:05:43 »
GL with your buy sir! I'm still in for a V1 btw ;]

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:11:31 »
GB thread is awaiting approval  :thumb:

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 17:33:31 »