Author Topic: Restoring "Yellowing" key caps  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Restoring "Yellowing" key caps
« on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 10:05:24 »
Recently bought a double shot abs alps keyset on the classified for my monterey keyboard
shockingly the set is somehow yellowing in color compare to the stock one, I tried soaking it with denture cleaner but I don't really think it makes the difference
anyone has any suggestion?
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Restoring "Yellowing" key caps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 10:16:50 »
Check out retr0bright. There's a lot of threads on GH and DT as well as other sites. Also try talking to nubbinator who seems to have done a lot of work/research with it.

Also you can try hydrogen peroxide creams for bleaching hair from a woman's supply store. You'll want to do a little more reading into that but it seems to work. I was going to try that myself.

Denture cleaners just clean the caps, they won't de-yellow them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 10:23:01 »
Check out retr0bright. There's a lot of threads on GH and DT as well as other sites. Also try talking to nubbinator who seems to have done a lot of work/research with it.

Also you can try hydrogen peroxide creams for bleaching hair from a woman's supply store. You'll want to do a little more reading into that but it seems to work. I was going to try that myself.

Denture cleaners just clean the caps, they won't de-yellow them.

Peroxide is the way to go. I did that with my vintage Cherry beige and the results were great. I follow a guide I found in the internet, but I do not have the link now. Just google it. There are a lot of resources.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 10:29:04 »
Thx guys!
I saw the retr0bright, but
It's just a hustle to find those chemicals in my country, I'll see how it goes when I visit the store tomorrow for peroxide :)

again thanks!

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:23:51 »
What I use on sets I have rescued is some peroxide 20-30% paste typically found for hair bleaching, along with typical low % peroxide liquid found pretty much anywhere to thin it out make it a good consistency, plus laundry booster with TAED. Be careful when using this kind of mix, as too long and it will start removing the color out of the plastic itself. If you are doing 2tone sets, I highly recommend doing each base key color in a separate batch as it makes it easier to pull them out and stop process. Darker key colors seem to get done faster.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:25:58 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:02:24 »
What I use on sets I have rescued is some peroxide 20-30% paste typically found for hair bleaching, along with typical low % peroxide liquid found pretty much anywhere to thin it out make it a good consistency, plus laundry booster with TAED. Be careful when using this kind of mix, as too long and it will start removing the color out of the plastic itself. If you are doing 2tone sets, I highly recommend doing each base key color in a separate batch as it makes it easier to pull them out and stop process. Darker key colors seem to get done faster.

My understanding is that you need a retr0brite bath (or paste) and a UV light source, right?  With direct sunlight being the best UV Light source.  Second best would be to use UV bulbs from a sun lamp or hydroponic chamber or suntan bed or something like that too. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:08:06 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:05:13 »
I use 40vol (12%) peroxide paste from a hairdressers and a UV lamp. Just add some oxy cleaner to some boiling water and let it dissolve, then mix that with the peroxide paste and apply to the caps/keyboard and then leave it under the lamp for a few hours. When I've done it I've left it overnight and the results have been great.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:09:28 »
I use 40vol (12%) peroxide paste from a hairdressers and a UV lamp. Just add some oxy cleaner to some boiling water and let it dissolve, then mix that with the peroxide paste and apply to the caps/keyboard and then leave it under the lamp for a few hours. When I've done it I've left it overnight and the results have been great.

Oh man, now I want to try this.  My wife will kill me though with the smell of that peroxide paste.  I wish I had a garage or a friggin' workshop.  Damned island of manhattan apartment living sucks.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:14:19 »
Oh man, now I want to try this.  My wife will kill me though with the smell of that peroxide paste.  I wish I had a garage or a friggin' workshop.  Damned island of manhattan apartment living sucks.
It has a reallly mild smell. Well, the stuff I have does anyway..
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710