Author Topic: zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse  (Read 5444 times)

Offline tonyklo

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 21:13:31 »
I've recently purchased the ZOWIE EC-1 and EC-2 (which is available from Newegg) ...

Must say it's an amazing mouse, and I've used almost every gaming mouse that's good for FPS such as the Razer DA, IE 3.0 , IO 1.1 , MX 518, SteelSeries Xai...

And i have to say, the mouse from Zowie really preserve the quality and simplicity of popular 3.0 / 1.1 ... except it's even better !

The EC-1 is simply a bigger version of the mouse, its size is close to DA / 3.0 / 518... while the EC-2 is the smaller version of the mouse with size comparable to 1.1 / Xai...

Figure i'll let some people know about this amazing mouse... I was a pro CS player... and finding a good mouse has always been hard for me...and now that i have found one... i think it'll be unfair not to share !

also, the EC-series come in two different versions,

the White - features a glossy 1.1SE type of coating, which from i've heard is quite popular among gamers who tend to sweat a lot....

the Black - features a rubber coating that is similar to the DA coating...

currently, i'm using the EC-2 BLACK.

Offline Bullveyr

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 October 2010, 01:21:23 »
The EC2 White couldn't really convince me.

That's what I wrote somewhere else:

First of all my EC2 also has that Wheel Bug but that doesn't bother me ingame, it doesn't interfere with how I use the dedicated weapon binds on the mouse wheel.

For my taste the wheel isn't stiff enough and it could have a better defined rasterization buth the wheel button feels pretty good.

The same goes for the main buttons, they could be stiffer, I just like the stiff buttons of the Xai, others maybe not.
The operating travel also feels a little bit long but compared to other gaming mice they are still good.

I really like the shape, it fits my Claw Grip very well and the grip is very good, damn sticky, something you may find uncomfortable (note: mine is the one without the rubber coating on the top).

Unfortunately with my Grip the thumb buttons are a too far at the back.
With the Xai my tumb holds the mouse right in the center under the 2 thumb buttons, with the EC2 my thumb holds the mouse more under the forward thumb button.
So I have to move my thumb more back to press the back thumb button which also caused some miss clicks, not optimal.
That also makes it a little back-heavy while lifting.
For my taste the side buttons also have to much travel.

Sensor works very well and does exactly what it's supposed to do (if angle snapping isn't an issue for you).
With Enotus Mouse Test I get a max. speed of slightly over 4m/s (1000 CPI, 500Hz on a Mionix Sargas), that's something you will not hit ingame.
With the standard lens the max. speed would possibly be a little higher but I doesn't really matter and I'm too lazy to look whe´re I put my Ikari Optical (same sensor with standard lens).

The LOD is as expected very low:

Talent: <1,2 mm (1 CD)
QcK heavy: <1,2 mm
Mionix Sargas: 1,5 mm

Weight on my kitchen scale (cable lying parallel on a book right in front) is almost the same as the Xai:

Xai: 97g
EC2: 98g

Glide is fine and I find the cord pretty good but I still prefere the braided cord of the Xai which has less friction.

From an objective POV I findthe price too high.

As you can see it's mainly some minor things which are comparable to other gaming mice but which are imho simply better on the Xai.
I should also note that my Xai works very well, no problems on cloth and I can easily manage the small acceleration.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline skartt

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 10:21:57 »
I agree with Bullveyr, the price is too high for the used components.

The wheel bug is a deal breaker for me and the haptic feedback of the wheel i personally dont like.

Another deal breaker is the angle snapping, I find it very annoying.

If you dont use the wheel and dont mind angle snapping the mouse is okay.

For the braided or normal cable I really dont care and never had any issues with smoothness due to a cable. Maybe this depends on the setup.

I recommend to use the black version for the surfacer coating, i really dont like the glossy finish feeling of the white.

Offline tonyklo

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 October 2010, 12:59:14 »
the glossy surface is popular among CS players

im not sure what the wheel bug is... i don't notice it...

Offline skartt

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 01:14:52 »
if you move 2 times up the next down is not send to pc. Seems not to affect every unit.

Offline tonyklo

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 03:12:11 »
just tried it, don't have that bug that u speak of : )

u should send it back to Zowie and get a replacement

Offline Glymbol

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 18:19:12 »
Some A4Tech mice have ADNS-3060, they are 1/4 price of the Zowie.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 23:56:58 »
I like a lot of buttons, personally.

It seems expensive for what it is; a Logitech G500 (presently $40 after rebate) seems to offer more features for the dollar.  I like the G5/G7 shape, although I wish it didn't have the texturing (the older G7s didn't have it, my more recent G5 does)
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 07:43:45 »
Really want to try this mouse, seem pricey though, the smaller one seems better, what's the weight of a DA?

Offline Bullveyr

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 08:43:57 »
about 107g iirc
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline tonyklo

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 12:18:22 »
they aren't really that expensive since they're competing against mouse like

Razer DA , Xai which are even pricier ..

Definitely worth the buy if u play FPS ..but if u need drivers to customize the buttons that i guess u'll have to look elsewhere because this mouse is more focused on the plug-n-play LAN play ...

really one of the best mouse i've used and i was coming from a classic MS IO 1.1 SE

Offline skartt

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 13:58:09 »
Xai offers way more for your money. Even if you ignore the extra button and LCD you dont need to bother with the wheel bug and the angle snapping.
This alone would be worth the 5€ price difference. Some ppl might also prefer tXais braided cable.

Additonally you have an okay driver and the firmware is also upgradable (afaik ec1/2 are not) to ensure that yet unknown bugs may be fixed in the future.

With the S9500 the xai also offers a better sensor performance, at least based on spec.

In short: No, they dont compete.

Offline tonyklo

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 15:02:33 »
due to the Xai having that lasor sensor, a lil bit of dust collected on the bottom of the mouse can easily affect its sensor, my friends always have to clean the sensor a lot ...

anyways, sure u can always compare the specs, but a the end of the day,  alot of FPS gamers simply care about the shape and the overall feel of the mouse ...

i feel like ur saying damn this keyboard is nicer cuz it's got all the macro keys and back-lit
lol

i

Offline Arc'xer

zowie ec-1 / 2 mouse
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 16:01:31 »
Quote from: tonyklo;234328
due to the Xai having that lasor sensor, a lil bit of dust collected on the bottom of the mouse can easily affect its sensor, my friends always have to clean the sensor a lot ...

Has your friend ever thought of putting a small piece of clear tape over the sensor? I'm sure as long as it's clear enough it won't cause issues.

Really the Xai like mentioned above has one of the best sensors on the market. It has it's very small negatives but they are completely outweighed by the positives and customizations of it. Same with the Naos 5000, something missing from the G9X/500 with their lesser customizations.

Really the only beef with the Xai is the price, same with the Naos though it's fallen below 100 since it used to sell above that.