Author Topic: A no BS mouse?  (Read 4745 times)

Offline Jookia

A no BS mouse?
« on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 17:51:03 »
Hi, can anybody recommend me a mouse without all the marketing BS, or nostalgia goggles?

I want these things:

- Ergonomic shape (My right arm is resting in an RSI cast, 'nuff said)
- A good size, depending on the grip. Palm gripping my current mouse ruins my ability to use the scroll wheel.
- A palm grip or an otherwise ergonomic grip that won't ruin my tendons.
- A good sensor for desktop usage and casual FPSing (I've heard '400 DPI ought to be enough for anyone', 'Lasers, how do they work?', etc)

Any of those (besides ergonomics) can be ignored if the mouse is really a good mouse and I may have misconceptions because I haven't researched for more than a few hours.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: A no BS mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 18:05:44 »
razer abyssus. you can disable or disconnect the LED to avoid gamer-itis.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 18:47:46 »
razer abyssus. you can disable or disconnect the LED to avoid gamer-itis.

I use one of these at work. They're amazing.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 18:54:00 »
There is no proper end-all ergonomic shape, the best you can do to combat RSI, at least from what I've gathered so far, is variation. I would suggest maybe getting two mice of very different shapes, or possibly something like a trackball or rollermouse in addition to a normal mouse. Personally I regularly switch mice, I also have a trackball on the left side of the keyboard. I like to believe that the variation reduces the risk of RSI, makes it easier to justify buying more stuff >_>

Though I would have to second the Abyssus for a no BS mouse, I have one that I removed the LED in, it was a fairly easy and painless task. Separating the two outer shells can be a pain, though, but you can still disable the LED without physically removing it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 18:59:23 »
I would recommend that you give something like this a try.

Evoluents are impossible, but these are great, in my opinion.

If the switches are too stiff for you, get a cheap old Logitech of Microsoft mouse and swap out the Omrons in there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WP012-Anti-glare-USB-Plug-Vertical-Mouse-Optical-Mouse-Ergonomic-Design-/130824736286?pt=Mice&hash=item1e75c30e1e

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 19:57:31 »
The G400 is another good "no nonsense" mouse you could try.

Offline sordna

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 20:06:55 »
The G400 is another good "no nonsense" mouse you could try.

So is the Logitech M500 ... my daily driver which I found to be a big improvement over the MX518 I was using previously, although I did have to put teflon feet on it to make it slide better.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 20:08:09 »
Yes, certainly. I've had one of the previous generations of the M500, and I absolutely loved the form factor. The only reason I didn't purchase was because of its lack of DPI adjustments (for gaming).

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 21:16:09 »
Currently using my Razer Deathadder 3.5g - awesome mouse
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 21:20:07 »
Mionix Naos 3200, 5000, or 8200. Most comfy palm grip mice currently made imo.

Offline WarNutts

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 04:31:25 »
Been using the razer deathadder since forever even had to buy the new 2013 one because my old one was worn out!

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 04:43:02 »
I think the G400 qualifies as a no nonsense mouse

-Optical sensor. No fancy laser sensor with a high unnecessary gimmicky DPI, but instead a superior sensor with no acceleration or prediction.
-Ergonomic shape that a lot of people seem to love
-Not too heavy
-Tracks well on pretty much all surfaces
-Said to be durable (the MX518 before it was, not 100% sure about the G400)
-Simple scroll wheel without side-wheel scroll, free wheel and all those kind of things

Another option that has all these characteristics , but is an ambidextrous mouse is the Zowie FK. One other nice thing about that mouse is that it works without drivers, and all settings , like the polling rate and dpi, can be changed and stored on the mouse itself. It may not be ergonomic, but my experience has been that these simple symmetrical ambidextrous mice work a lot better for my hands. In a sense they are more ergonomic to me than a lot of those awkwardly shaped mice that they call "ergonomic". If you have been unsatisfied with "ergonomic" mice in the past, then you may as well try it out. You might be surprised. Everyone has a different anatomy and grip style of course but it may be more comfortable than you think.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 March 2013, 04:48:00 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Rare

• Spending racks and bands on keyboards.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 13:17:45 »
Get a G400. It has an absolutely flawless sensor, and it's at such a great price. They're on sale at best buy now for 30 dollars.
Saber 68 (MOD-H)
my glo

Offline sordna

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 13:33:08 »
Is the G400 the same as the MX518 ?  That mouse tracked great but the buttons were too heavy, and the scrollwheel was too hard to turn and to press (for middle click), which is why I switched to an M500.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 13:34:40 »
It's essentially the exact same as the MX518, but with a thinner cable, non-slip coating, and double the DPI (same sensor, just improved). So if you didn't like the 518's mousewheel, you won't like the G400's. It's easy as hell to click though, can't remember if the 518 was any more difficult.

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 13:38:52 »
I could be wrong about clicking, but the scrollwheel was a definite pain point. Although I understand for gaming mice, the scrollwheel is supposed to be stiffer to avoid accidental presses and weapon changes.
Another thing that bugged me with the 518 was that the scroll step didn't sync properly with the tactile feel, sometimes you would get 2 steps for one tactile bump, or 1 step for 2 tactile bumps. A microsoft mouse I had before that never had that issue, each tactile bump of the scrollwheel corresponded perfectly with the scroll step actuation, and it's the same with my current Logitech M500. Do you see this problem with the G400 or have they fixed it ?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 14:13:27 »
Not sure on the ergonomic aspect, but Kensington's Mouse in a Box comes highly regarded.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 14:32:54 »
My put is the G400, direct descendant of the greatest mouse of all time, the Mx518, which itself was a descendant of the legendary Mx500.  It's a design that has been good enough to stick around for more than a decade in the fast-moving peripheral market.  Comfortable and functionally powerful, with a design that isn't too flashy or too bland.  It's what I use.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 16:25:43 »
Is the G400 the same as the MX518 ?  That mouse tracked great but the buttons were too heavy, and the scrollwheel was too hard to turn and to press (for middle click), which is why I switched to an M500.

Oh, clicking the wheel on M500 was actually so painful for me, that I switched to a trackball, and started to use other mice, and only for gaming.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 17:31:57 »
I could be wrong about clicking, but the scrollwheel was a definite pain point. Although I understand for gaming mice, the scrollwheel is supposed to be stiffer to avoid accidental presses and weapon changes.
Another thing that bugged me with the 518 was that the scroll step didn't sync properly with the tactile feel, sometimes you would get 2 steps for one tactile bump, or 1 step for 2 tactile bumps. A microsoft mouse I had before that never had that issue, each tactile bump of the scrollwheel corresponded perfectly with the scroll step actuation, and it's the same with my current Logitech M500. Do you see this problem with the G400 or have they fixed it ?

I don't have that problem at all. Never have with Logitech mice, really.

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 17:42:30 »
I would also go with many of the posters here, and recommend the G400.  I don't have any issues with the scroll wheel
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 17:43:00 »
I have to say I believe the Razer Deathadder 3.5g is superior to the G400 (I own both) for one reason;

Scroll wheel on the G400 is not exact. It can "skip" a notch in the scroll process.

Namely when you're playing Counter Strike, you wanna be able to switch weapons with the scroll wheel, back and forth rather quickly (there's a "previous weapon" button but it's quicker to use the scroll wheel.) ---- When using my G400 sometimes it won't go to the next weapon, even though I feel a physical bump, and know it SHOULD have changed weapons. Of course the next "notch" will switch two slots when this happens.... So you end up with sometimes it just doesn't work, and sometimes you get two weapon changes from one notch.

The Deathadder does not have this problem - one "notch" of the scroll wheel will change me to my pistol, then the opposite "notch" will go back to the main weapon (Scout / Awp)

Ask any FPS gamer if that's important. The answer is a definite YES.

Edit;
PM me for the G400 (very new - got it from BestBuy like last month) - it's a fine mouse besides the scroll wheel issue I'm complaining about above. $25 shipped if you're in US.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 March 2013, 17:51:39 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack