Author Topic: Alternate idea to remove pet hair from mouse wheel?  (Read 9632 times)

Offline typo

Alternate idea to remove pet hair from mouse wheel?
« on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 04:28:26 »
My device of choice is the G502. As you know the wheel can freewheel. It always gets wound with pet hair. Obviously anyone would just open it and remove the hair. My disability makes this hard enough that I have wrecked Three in the last year. Is there any way to untangle the wheel without opening the case? It always still works but it will no longer spin freely due to the friction of the hair on the post.

Thank you

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Alternate idea to remove pet hair from mouse wheel?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 06:52:22 »
have someone else do it.

or

maybe take an xacto knife, cut the strands, then hit it with the vacuum cleaner

Offline Auk

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 07:12:29 »
maybe take an xacto knife, cut the strands, then hit it with the vacuum cleaner

This could work, or maybe a pin to gently pull up the hairs.

However, I'm going to suggest if you try it: exercise the utmost caution and care possible not to scratch the axle or wheel.

I had a similar problem with a vacuum cleaner constantly wrapping hair and cotton threads around the brush wheel - I mindlessly cut the threads away and eventually realized the build up was happening much faster because scratches on the wheel were catching even more fibers and threads. Got a new brush attachment and the problem was alleviated somewhat, it takes longer for threads to build up on the new brush vs the old one.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 03:38:07 »
Actually I just thought of something. The little brush that a Barber uses to clean the clippers. It is very stiff, so maybe it will catch it and pull it out but not scratch the axel. Luckily I have some from when I was not only able to work on electronics but highly skilled at it. So I have all kinds of stuff but I cannot use it anymore.

Offline Alaina15

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 04:47:13 »
Nice idea. Thanks for posting this

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 05:37:23 »
Actually I just thought of something. The little brush that a Barber uses to clean the clippers. It is very stiff, so maybe it will catch it and pull it out but not scratch the axel. Luckily I have some from when I was not only able to work on electronics but highly skilled at it. So I have all kinds of stuff but I cannot use it anymore.
I believe that mouse wheels are lubed, brushing could take some grease away. I guess you would need to reapply it after cleaning.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 09:15:40 »
I believe that mouse wheels are lubed, brushing could take some grease away. I guess you would need to reapply it after cleaning.

try not to do this,   logitech uses an optical system in the 502,   if you get a liquid grease in one of the light cavities, it's going to start skipping.