Author Topic: [IC] Carbon Keyset  (Read 241310 times)

Offline jeremya

Re: [IC] Carbon Keyset
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 11:09:32 »
T0mb3ry, I absolutely love the look of the Carbon layout!

Please forgive the naive question, but I'm part of the latest Infinity Ergodox drop (it will be my first build), but I really want backlighting.

I understand the first generation of the Carbon kits did not have translucent legends... I'm wondering if there's a chance you could work out some translucent legends as an option for the next round?

(Just imagine how sexy the graphene hexes will look when properly backlit!)  :eek:  :p  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2016, 12:23:50 by jeremya »

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #451 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 05:41:34 »
Hey jeremya,

i already replied you on MD in regards of transluscent legends. As i said the legends will let the light pass through unevenly, because the legends are centered and are placed directly above the stem.

Offline jeremya

« Reply #452 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 23:49:23 »
Indeed you did. Sorry for the duplicate question -- I figured a forum like this was more appropriate than MD's discussion board for an expired drop. ;-)

Your work inspires me, and I'm going to keep at this "problem" for my own purposes. :)

I'm wondering if there's a way to design a kind of "light spreader" that can solve the uneven illumination problem. I know the stem will always be in the way, but I'm thinking there's got to be some simple way (a clear O-ring / silicon mold / fiber optic bundle / or other device) to get the light to bounce around and fill the cap more evenly. 

I'll put some brainpower into and see if something dawns on me. In the meanwhile, I'm open to suggestions. =)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #453 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 03:59:37 »
Indeed you did. Sorry for the duplicate question -- I figured a forum like this was more appropriate than MD's discussion board for an expired drop. ;-)

Your work inspires me, and I'm going to keep at this "problem" for my own purposes. :)

I'm wondering if there's a way to design a kind of "light spreader" that can solve the uneven illumination problem. I know the stem will always be in the way, but I'm thinking there's got to be some simple way (a clear O-ring / silicon mold / fiber optic bundle / or other device) to get the light to bounce around and fill the cap more evenly. 

I'll put some brainpower into and see if something dawns on me. In the meanwhile, I'm open to suggestions. =)

You should study following Deskthority-Wiki article: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Double-shot_molding
Following video gives you more insight how SP double shot keycaps are made:
As you can see SP makes the legends first (without stem). The second shot basically wraps around the first shot. And i personally see there two reasons why i would not recommend making a backlit keyset.

• The pastic on top of keycap (second shot) is not thick enough, which will result in horrible light bleed, if you make the legend shot out of transluscent plastic. You can see it clearly on Cherry Replica:

These are premium Keycaps which costs a lot of money and this is a no go. This is not right. Only the legend should light up and nothing else.
    Dont get me wrong i still love cherry replica.
  • As you know, each keyboard manufacturer has different led placement. Some makes leds on top some on the bottom. So the keycap has to gather light properly and independently from led placement and legend alligment. Basically the stem and all surfaces inside of a kaycap must be able to take the light and transport it to the legend. Best example for it are the new Ducky double shot kecaps.

Note the stem an all other surfaces inside are transluscent. This is how it supposed to be.

In conclusion: SP keycaps are not thought to support the backlighting. If you want support for backlight, you have to fund new molds for SP. Thats a lot of money. For example only the molds for SA Profile row 4 shifts costs around 5k bucks...

« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2016, 04:01:29 by T0mb3ry »

Offline diqkiq

Re: [IC] Carbon Keyset. !!!!WTB Orange ALPHAS!!!!
« Reply #454 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 07:22:01 »
Please PM me if you could spare an orange alpha set from this buy. I only bought one and my Dad is nagging me to give it to him. I cant give mine up so I need another set.
Also, I finally  covered up my Filco KB with a Grey TEX case. The carbon set looks good!

Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline ninjanano

« Reply #455 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:19:46 »
Some mockups.

Blank
Show Image

+1, although, some kind of home-key indicator would be nice.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2016, 16:44:04 by ninjanano »

Offline sasalaee

« Reply #456 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 00:10:56 »
wonderful !!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #457 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:21:44 »
That GH logo is sick, awesome.

Offline thiagoalves

« Reply #458 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 23:39:35 »
I just found this thread and the Carbon set is the best! How do I buy the set for Ergodox now (assuming they're finished)? If they're not finished, is there an idea of when they'll be available? Also, Can they be sold without the legends (blank keycaps)?

Offline dsaf

« Reply #459 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 17:38:03 »
There is an interest in this.