Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 902896 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1150 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:57:18 »
YESSSSS!!!!! Got my XT to work today. Don't know what exactly was the problem, but it seems to be working. I'm still getting used to the layout--the small shift and the large distance between keys. First time I've actually typed letters on a BS board. Theres still some kinks with my wiring, I've just switched to the laptop keyboard because it just failed...probally should get some kind of enclosure                                                                 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1151 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 20:21:08 »
I am working on another F-122, and after putting it back together, it seemed dead. I tested the (outboard) Teensy with another keyboard and it was working properly.

After messing around with a jumper, I found that in the second row of "Keyboard A" hid_listen finally produced a response, although not one that meant anything to me:

Waiting for new device ........
Listening:
wEE

remaining: 0034
34@0008 remaps
layerdefs: 00
max_layer: 00
total_macros: 00
alloc ok.

Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 1
Mode: PC/XT

So I don't know how to interpret this, or what to try next. After getting that bit, I get nothing else.

Thanks for your help.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ZeDestructor

« Reply #1152 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:21:10 »
So, I finally soldered my teensies properly (silly uni not buying any clamps for the soldering stating made it a real PITA), and now I have a fully-functioning F-122.

After some messing around, I have built my layout and attach it here. Most notably over the legacy and Halvar layouts, I have a "normal" NumPad, that once I finally get proper drivers to remove the inner bolts, will be modded to use a model M's 2-high + key (turning the board into an F-121). The remaining extra keys are used for media control and to regain winkey/context menu. See the attached .sc file (with correct attributions for the layouts I based myself on) for detailed info.

@Soarer: feel free to include my layout in a future release

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1153 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:17:31 »

model M's 2-high + key (turning the board into an F-121). The remaining extra keys are used for media control and to regain winkey/context menu.

Ha ha! Never realized that my ANSI-modded F-122s are now all F-121s!

I love the Function keys on the left and use them in preference to the (now redundant) upper ones.

The left F10 turned into "Windows", F13 became a 2nd Escape (along with the former NumLock), and my media keys are the last several in the top row, along with Calculator and PrintScreen. And I still have a handful that are still in Limbo.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ZeDestructor

« Reply #1154 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 20:19:24 »

model M's 2-high + key (turning the board into an F-121). The remaining extra keys are used for media control and to regain winkey/context menu.

Ha ha! Never realized that my ANSI-modded F-122s are now all F-121s!

I love the Function keys on the left and use them in preference to the (now redundant) upper ones.

The left F10 turned into "Windows", F13 became a 2nd Escape (along with the former NumLock), and my media keys are the last several in the top row, along with Calculator and PrintScreen. And I still have a handful that are still in Limbo.

I wouldn't ANSI convert mine. If anything, I'd do the opposite and ISO convert my M instead.. Love that ISO enter. At this point, my main keyboards are both ISO layout (laptop and F-122)

Sliightly off-topic: does anyone perchance have a spare F-122 spacebar they'd be willing to sell to me? Mine has no stabilizer because it's an M spacebar (I believe the seller lost the original spacebar and decided to fit an M spacebar instead to get a fully-keyed board).

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1155 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 22:31:44 »
Sliightly off-topic: does anyone perchance have a spare F-122 spacebar they'd be willing to sell to me? Mine has no stabilizer because it's an M spacebar (I believe the seller lost the original spacebar and decided to fit an M spacebar instead to get a fully-keyed board).

Check out the super cool way that wcass made a bunch of M spacebar -> F mount stabilizer wires.

Parts List
Video of the process

Offline ZeDestructor

« Reply #1156 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 11:42:21 »

Check out the super cool way that wcass made a bunch of M spacebar -> F mount stabilizer wires.

Parts List
Video of the process

Oooh, thanks! the dimension was the big issue for me...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1157 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 20:44:18 »
I've got a Dolch Pac 61 keyboard.  Will the pinout be the same as the Wyse keyboard pinout?  If not, does anyone know what the pinout will be?  I'd love to make this my weekend project.

The PCB is a Cherry 601-1567 Rev. 01.  I can take some PCB shots if that helps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 00:50:36 by nubbinator »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1158 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 09:26:20 »
Hi all, I have been using my XT for a while at home. Recently, I started playing elder scroll online and I got a strange bug that affects the keyboard itself. When I get in a pvp zone with a lot of players, my keyboard often goes crazy. By crazy I mean it starts spamming the same code endlessly. I need to unplug the keyboard and plug it back to make it work again, but if I stay in a "hot spot" in the game, it happens again after not so long.

If I move away (or do anything else), the keyboard behave normally.

So I would like to know if anyone experienced something similar before where his keyboard would go crazy because of a specific application (anything really, not this game specifically).

I can understand that the game has a problem with that many players at the same spot, but I don't get how it could affect my keyboard this way. I used the hid listen to confirm that the keyboard really sends some codes in a loop and is not just doing nothing.

Also, when I plug it back, it sometimes still behave like a key is pressed (usually one of the wasd). But it stops when I press the key, until the problem starts again. Is it possible that the code of the application would make it so that the OS sends some information back to the converter and put it in an abnormal state in some specific condition?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline CryptoKid

« Reply #1159 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 06:36:09 »
Got my XT working with this, thx Soarer!  ;D

I'd like to wish a feature. I use the function keys as media- and macrokeys, and use Scroll Lock as select_1 to switch between the modes. It would be nice to see in wich mode it currently is. There could be something like scroll_lock_led on/off configuration option that one could put into ifselect blocks.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1160 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:55:01 »
Not really an issue with Soarer's part of this, but an interesting observation...my very first original Teensy++ 2.0 from back in the day appears to have quit on me this past weekend. It just repeatedly connects/disconnects itself from the host computer, sometimes showing up under the device name Soarer gave it, sometimes as a generic HID, sometimes as an unknown device. Does not stay connected for long, can get one keystroke in sometimes before it "unplugs" again, and more recently it just isn't detected at all.

Said Teensy was actually second hand, I'm fairly sure I got it from another member before Soarer even made his project known. I do have to wonder how it failed...
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline jjgijon

« Reply #1161 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:19:24 »
IBM XT SPANISH LAYOUT

Soarer’s converter works great, but found some problems to adapt to (1986) Spanish layout

Retrete (from spanish MEDIAVIDA) hinted me to ask Soarer directly for a solution…

1) Got this wonderful XT keyboard with this unusual Spanish layout (that I’d love to use):

Code: [Select]
¡ ¿ # $ % / & * ( ) ? +
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ' =

Q W E R T Y U I O P : ^
 q w e r t y u i o p ; `

A S D F G H J K L Ñ ¨ Ç
  a s d f g h j k l ñ ´ ç

> Z X C V B N M " ! _
< z x c v b n m , . -

2) Once I installed the Teensy 2.0 with the "Soarer_at2usb_v1.12_atmega32u4.hex" file, I got this outcome:

! ” • $ % & / ( ) = ? ¿
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ’ ¡

Q W E R T Y U I O P ^ *
 q w e r t y u i o p ` +

A S D F G H J K L Ñ ¨ ª
  A s d f g h j k l ñ ´ º

Ç Z X C V B N M ; : _
ç z x c v b n m , . -

3) By trial and error, from other .sc files, I’ve prepared the following SPANISH-XT.SC file, using also macro coding (it works, but I need some help to solve the remaining problems):
### IBM XT KEYBOARD QWERTY SPANISH

force set1
ifkeyboard any
ifselect any

# 83-key mappings

# On the XT, the ~/` key is located next to '/", and the key next to lshift is \|
# Remap this to match modern ISO layout
remapblock
layer 0
BACK_QUOTE BACKSLASH
BACKSLASH EUROPE_2
F10 FN1 # need to map the FN key into the base layer (0)
endblock

# Match the SPANISH XT's unusual legends
macroblock

# PROBLEMA
# ¿ Cómo conseguir [¡] al teclear Shift+1 ?

# Shift+2 = ¿
macro 2 shift -ctrl -alt
press EQUAL
endmacro

# Alt+Ctrl+2 = @
macro 2 -shift ctrl alt
push_meta set_meta
press 2
pop_meta
endmacro

# PROBLEMA
# Shift+3 = #
macro 3 shift -ctrl -alt
press 3 # Lo que sale es [•] (En cambio tengo [#] con Alt+Ctrl+3)
endmacro

# Shift+6 = /
macro 6 shift -ctrl -alt
press 7
endmacro

# Shift+7 = &
macro 7 shift -ctrl -alt
press 6
endmacro

# Shift+8 = *
macro 8 shift -ctrl -alt
press RIGHT_BRACE
endmacro

# Shift+9 = (
macro 9 shift -ctrl -alt
press 8
endmacro

# Shift+0 = )
macro 0 shift -ctrl -alt
press 9
endmacro

# PROBLEMA
# Tecla a la izq. de backspace debería ser [=] y [+], pero siguen saliendo [¡] y [¿]
# macro EQUAL -shift -ctrl -alt
# press EQUAL
# endmacro

# PROBLEMA
# ; No consigo que imprima [;] en las minúsculas (pero sí consigo [:] en la mayúsculas)
macro LEFT_BRACE -shift -ctrl -alt
press COMMA
endmacro

# Shift+; = :
macro LEFT_BRACE shift -ctrl -alt
press PERIOD
endmacro

# Shift+, = ”
macro COMMA shift -ctrl -alt
press 2
endmacro

# ‘
macro RIGHT_BRACE -shift -ctrl -alt
press LEFT_BRACE
endmacro

# ^
macro RIGHT_BRACE shift -ctrl -alt
press LEFT_BRACE
endmacro

# [
macro QUOTE -shift ctrl alt
push_meta set_meta
press LEFT_BRACE
pop_meta
endmacro

# Shift+. = !
macro PERIOD shift -ctrl -alt
press 1
endmacro

# Alt+Ctrl < = \
macro EUROPE_2 -shift ctrl alt
push_meta set_meta
press BACK_QUOTE
pop_meta
endmacro

# PrtSc macro
macro PAD_ASTERIX shift
press PRINTSCREEN
endmacro

endblock

4) The main problem is that HID codes for the sustitutions (a) does not separate normal characters from the CAPITALS, and (b) they are based on the US layout.

Problems remaining:

• How to get that Shift+1 gives [¡] (Spanish opening exclamation)
  • Idem Shift+3 to get #
  • How to get that the = +  key gives that, and not [¡] y [¿]
  • How to get that the [;] key gives that, and not [,] (but its capital is giving me [:] correctly …)

Any idea for this?  Someone worked out other layouts than the US? -  Ah, and a big thank you to Soarer (and Retrete).
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 05:37:00 by jjgijon »

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #1162 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 07:10:28 »
I'm really interested in making a nice little converter that will go with my Poker II and will handle custom mappings and dual-role logic (caps->esc/ctrl), as well as being able to have modes: Let's say I hit both alt keys and that will allow me to toggle between several layouts.

I'm quite comfortable in C, but how do I calculate memory consumption when programming for the teensy? Do I just see if my c/h-files along with linked libraries fit within the teensy memory, along with whatever I have auto-allocated? Do I need to use malloc/free? How much space does each layout take? Is a layout just an array of unsigned chars?

Does the teensy have support for wchar?

Also, can I get NKRO with usb to usb on a teensy? I don't need more than 10KRO though.

I would like the converter to be as small and light as possible and the clunky usb->ps/2 converter infront of the teensy really bothers me. When I've checked the wiring for these converters, they seem to be just simple connections without any other components in between. So, I'm thinking: Is there any good reason for connecting the teensy to a PS/2 port and use a usb to ps/2 converter to get a usb keyboard to fit the teensy, if I can just wire a usb port to the teensy and have it be usb to usb?

Offline 1391406

« Reply #1163 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 18:51:53 »
Is it possible to program a key to load Notepad? If so, how?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1164 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 18:54:43 »
I am not sure whether I have asked this specifically, here, but is it possible to program keys to left and right mouse buttons?

Offline echo0

« Reply #1165 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:19:47 »
Got model F-122 working with the converter.  Thanks Soarer!

Offline bcg

« Reply #1166 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 23:19:54 »
Is it possible to program a key to load Notepad? If so, how?

Your best bet might be to program a key to send a media key that you don't use or some sort of complicated modifier key combo and then map that key open Notepad using Auto Hot Key or whatever that program is called.

Or you could switch to Linux where everything works better and you can assign that to a key combo without any extra software  :p
:wq!

Offline bcg

« Reply #1167 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 08:06:56 »
I'm really interested in making a nice little converter that will go with my Poker II and will handle custom mappings and dual-role logic (caps->esc/ctrl), as well as being able to have modes: Let's say I hit both alt keys and that will allow me to toggle between several layouts.

I'm quite comfortable in C, but how do I calculate memory consumption when programming for the teensy? Do I just see if my c/h-files along with linked libraries fit within the teensy memory, along with whatever I have auto-allocated? Do I need to use malloc/free? How much space does each layout take? Is a layout just an array of unsigned chars?

Does the teensy have support for wchar?

Also, can I get NKRO with usb to usb on a teensy? I don't need more than 10KRO though.

I would like the converter to be as small and light as possible and the clunky usb->ps/2 converter infront of the teensy really bothers me. When I've checked the wiring for these converters, they seem to be just simple connections without any other components in between. So, I'm thinking: Is there any good reason for connecting the teensy to a PS/2 port and use a usb to ps/2 converter to get a usb keyboard to fit the teensy, if I can just wire a usb port to the teensy and have it be usb to usb?

you could write your own firmware for sure, but hasu's TMK firmware should meet your needs if you want to write your own and need a good place to start... http://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard

"usb to usb nkro" could work if your kbd already supports NKRO over USB... I know hasu's firmware has support for the arduino usb host shield, but I'm not sure how well that shield works with a nkro HID profile.

That said you can do what you are looking to do with Soarer's converter too, because like you said can just use a female USB connector instead of a PS/2 connector, as long as the converter "quacks like a duck" your keyboard should talk in PS/2 no matter what type of connector you use.  That is assuming that it already works fine using a passive PS/2 converter.  That wouldn't really be "usb to usb" but I think that is the solution you are looking for (and NKRO should work fine).

As far as your questions about memory:  https://learn.adafruit.com/memories-of-an-arduino/you-know-you-have-a-memory-problem-when-dot-dot-dot

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #1168 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 17:32:00 »
So I want to make a little converter box for my terminal model M without modifying the keyboard itself. The keyboard has an RJ-45 connector. If I wire a female RJ-45 following this diagram and wiring:

Conn.       Teensy
GND -------- GND
Vcc/+5V ---- Vcc
Data ------- PD0
Clock ------ PD1

I would be wiring the back of the female rj-45 to the teensy, so this diagram would be reversed, with Vcc on the right and the GND on the left, correct?

and once it's wired, i just need to drop soarer's hex file on it and that's it?
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1169 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 17:49:32 »
So I want to make a little converter box for my terminal model M without modifying the keyboard itself. The keyboard has an RJ-45 connector. If I wire a female RJ-45 following this diagram and wiring:

Conn.       Teensy
GND -------- GND
Vcc/+5V ---- Vcc
Data ------- PD0
Clock ------ PD1

Show Image

I would be wiring the back of the female rj-45 to the teensy, so this diagram would be reversed, with Vcc on the right and the GND on the left, correct?

It worked for me.

A lot of people get confused when the diagrams show the * socket * since they are usually holding the plug in their hands, at the time.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #1170 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 18:09:23 »

Conn.       Teensy
GND -------- GND
Vcc/+5V ---- Vcc
Data ------- PD0
Clock ------ PD1

Show Image

It worked for me.

A lot of people get confused when the diagrams show the * socket * since they are usually holding the plug in their hands, at the time.

Thanks for the clarification - it just seems all too easy!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline 1391406

« Reply #1171 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 19:47:12 »
I just discovered something pretty cool. On a whim I tried to set one of the F-122's extra function keys as a desktop shortcut key... and it worked! Any of the extra function keys can be assigned to desktop shortcuts under desktop shortcut properties just like any other key. The difference is you'll notice the entry for the "Shortcut key" will be blank, but it still works once applied. Hence, I set my desktop shortcut key for Notepad to F13.

How cool is that?
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 19:49:55 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #1172 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:41:31 »
The above apparently only works with F13 - F24.

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #1173 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 07:15:52 »
Hi everyone,

I want to adventure myself making this converter, however I can't find any Teensy for a reasonable price. I found this one http://www.ebay.es/itm/Leonardo-Pro-Micro-ATmega32U4-Arduino-IDE-1-0-3-Bootloader-replace-Pro-Mini-UK-/221451734420?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item338f8d4d94, since the CPUis the same i'm assuming that he will do the job.

Can anyone please confirm that I will not have any problem by using this microcontroller?

Offline bcg

« Reply #1174 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 07:27:39 »
You won't have a problem with that, there are instructions floating around here about how to load the hex with avrdude, that is the easiest way with the pro micro that I've found.

That said, Adafruit has Teensy 2.0 pretty cheap now, only 15.95 USD - also they are in New York right near the postal depot so it probably would ship pretty fast if you are in Spain

http://www.adafruit.com/products/199

Offline Levelog

« Reply #1175 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 23:53:30 »
To avoid any sort of damage or modification to the keyboard itself, I'd be fine to use something like http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10204&cs_id=1020403&p_id=500&seq=1&format=2, right? And has anyone had problems with the pin teensy? My soldering iron recently crapped out on me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1176 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 07:47:22 »
And has anyone had problems with the pin teensy?

You shouldn't need extensions, you will connect from Teensy to computer with a USB cable, so the Teensy can be as close to the keyboard as you want.

If you have an F AT, you don't need a converter at all. Otherwise, you will have to wire something up.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58941.0

Offline Levelog

« Reply #1177 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 08:12:06 »
It's XT. The thing is, it seems I'd have to ruin the end of the plug, unless I'm completely misreading this

Offline JPG

« Reply #1178 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 08:49:36 »
It's XT. The thing is, it seems I'd have to ruin the end of the plug, unless I'm completely misreading this

No, if you open the keyboard, you can very easily remove the cable completely. This will make the pins directly available. Then, all you need is to plug a female dupont cable in each of the 4 pins that are used and that you previously soldered (or plugged) in the teensy/pro micro. Then you only plug a usb cable in the teensy/pro micro and plug the cable in the computer.

BTW, you need to load the Converter on the teensy/pro micro before you do all that.

So you end up with no damage/alteration to your keyboard. You only get the cable safely removed (you can plug it back anytime if you want) and as long as the keyboard is in working condition, the teensy/pro micro all working and correctly plugged and soldered then it should be working very easily!

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #1179 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 09:14:02 »
There is also the test pads too that you could solder to if you didn't want to use the pins (not wanting to solder directly to the pins, or unable to find a compatible plug for it).

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #1180 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 22:52:39 »
How is LED supported on this thing anyway? Can I reprogram the LED locations?

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1181 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 01:34:02 »
What do you mean by "reprogram the LED locations"? You want to use your existing Scroll Lock LED as Num Lock LED and vice versa for example?

The converter doesn't support that through PS/2. If you build an internal converter, you can connect the LEDs directly to the Teensy though (with a resistor for each LED).

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #1182 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 21:08:09 »
What do you mean by "reprogram the LED locations"? You want to use your existing Scroll Lock LED as Num Lock LED and vice versa for example?

The converter doesn't support that through PS/2. If you build an internal converter, you can connect the LEDs directly to the Teensy though (with a resistor for each LED).

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head for me. Thanks.

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #1183 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 10:55:45 »
You won't have a problem with that, there are instructions floating around here about how to load the hex with avrdude, that is the easiest way with the pro micro that I've found.

That said, Adafruit has Teensy 2.0 pretty cheap now, only 15.95 USD - also they are in New York right near the postal depot so it probably would ship pretty fast if you are in Spain

http://www.adafruit.com/products/199

The shipping costs are really high to send the teensy to Europe, so I went to the pro micro. However, i am having problems entering in the bootloader and load the .hex file.
I follow the steps that JPG mentioned a few pages back, but without success. I set the rst and the ground pin to a button to be more easy to tap two times, but nothing happens in the device manager. I will keep trying, I think I don't have any option here.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1184 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 11:31:11 »
So today I discovered one of my Cherry keyboards I've never been able to use speaks IBM 3270. Forgive my ignorance here, but is that supported?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1185 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 11:41:36 »
I'm not really an expert, but I do know that the IBM Model F-122 (part number 6110XXX) shipped with the 3270 and 3280 workstations. Since this converter was built to support that keyboard, I'd think it should work for any 3270 compatible keyboard.

Offline bcg

« Reply #1186 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 13:11:05 »
So today I discovered one of my Cherry keyboards I've never been able to use speaks IBM 3270. Forgive my ignorance here, but is that supported?

Pretty sure it will... your Cherry keyboard probably uses PS/2 with scan code set 3.  If you use Windows it may not work because Windows.  But when hooked up to a real operating system (assuming it has a PS/2 connector or you have a proper adapter) you should be able to type on it, but some of the keys won't do what you expect because the scan codes are different.

If that is that case, you should be good to go with Soarer's converter.

http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/ibm_1390876.html

http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/5271.html

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1187 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:08:05 »
It has a din5 plug. I use Windows 8.1 and Server 2012. I think the last computer I tried it on was my 2008 rack since it's the only one I had with an OS on it with a native PS/2 using AT to PS/2 adapter which works fine on other keyboards. It never did anything but flicker the lock led. When I got it I was hoping it would be like the 2551 I had, it just worked like normal for all the keys that a standard 101 keyboard has, and the extra keys didn't do anything without the Cherry software running.
Thanks for that link, I might drag out an old PC I have with XP and try those patches and maybe try a linux live as well if nothing on XP. Would be nice to know if it even works at all before going down the road of building a converter for it. Though I do have another obscure Cherry keyboard coming with a 15pin connector (like old midi joystick) :/ that will need adapter or controller swap to be of any use, but I have zero clue what it will speak yet.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:09:51 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1188 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:46:14 »
Building an external Soarer converter is probably worth it in any case!  :thumb:

It also allows you to define a mapping, which is something I would definitely recommend for a terminal keyboard.

You can also define the mapping saying that it should only be used if the keyboard it a terminal keyboard, so you can use the same converter for any PS/2 keyboard, too.

BTW: Does someone know where Soarer is, by the way? He used to be so active in this thread.

Offline ZSYStriker

« Reply #1189 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 20:56:13 »
Newbie here...  I've been reading this thread quite a while and recently I was successful in converting a 122-key terminal M.  I just acquired another terminal M real cheap.  This one is a 101-key.  But it must be a franken-board.  P/N is 1395162, but it's printed on a mailing label that's been pasted over an IBM-Lexmark label for 1391401 dated November 4, 1993.  There are no LED's and the logo is oval grey at upper-left and the connector is RJ45 - non-removable.  By the way, the key caps are almost identical to the standard PS/2 model M, locations and labels -- except for the pad_minus that has "Setup" printed on the front and the pad_plus with "\ z" printed on the front -- actually the top line of the "z" intersects the "\" -- never seen a symbol like that before.  So I'm thinking that the previous owner did some mix and matching...  I'm pretty sure it's not 1391401 given the non-removable RJ45 connector and the lack of LED's.

When I connected it and ran hid_listen, ESC showed up as F13, Print Screen as F23, Scroll lock as F24, Pause as LANG_4, Num_lock as ESC, pad_slash as Num_lock, pad_asterix as scroll lock, pad_plus as pad_asterix, pad_minus as extra_sysrq, and finally pad_plus as pad_enter.  Of course, I was able to fix all these using remap block thanks to Soarer.  But here's the kicker.  Neither CTRL key registers with hid_listen!!  Nothing shows up!  On a text editor, hitting CTRL-c registers as "c" -- it's as though CTRL doesn't exist.

I can believe that one CTRL key might be damaged, but both?  Otherwise the board is pretty solid -- all rivets are intact and the all other keys register and all keys buckle nicely -- tight, nothing loose.  typing feel is wonderful, almost as crisp as a new Model M, but without the CTRL key, well you know...

Any ideas??  I'm stumped.  As Halvar said, where is Soarer these days?  BTW, thanks, Halvar -- I'm using your config file for the 122-key.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1190 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 12:58:40 »
what's the female plug for the F-122 called?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1191 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 13:35:43 »
270 degree DIN

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1193 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 14:03:52 »
Yes, that should do the trick

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #1194 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 19:02:19 »
Kind of a random question here, but has anyone tried this converter with a programmable Cherry POS board? If so, does it work with the Cheery Tools programming software? I have my PS/2 POS board hooked up with a generic USB converter, and the Cherry Tools software can't detect the board for programming the keys or updating the firmware.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1195 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 02:29:24 »
This converter won't help you there. It only converts standard PS/2 keyboard behaviour to USB. It doesn't support any special PS/2 commands for programming keyboards that Cherry uses. Even if it could do that, that would not work with the Cherry software. To program the board you will need a computer with a PS/2 port.

After you're done programming the board, you can probably use either your generic converter or use Soarer's if the board supports special key codes that the generic converter doesn't support.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 02:32:11 by Halvar »

Offline kako

« Reply #1196 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 20:59:32 »
Hi,

I have recently set up this converter with a model m ssk, to hopefully get rid of AHK for remapping,
but have stumbled on an issue. The ALT key behaves differently than on a 'bluebox' converter for example.
It is triggered on press down, instead it should be on release - because of that Alt - Print Screen combination
does not work.

Is this a bug or is there a way to specify this behaviour via config?

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #1197 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 23:36:55 »
How do I program IBM Model M 122?

Offline JPG

« Reply #1198 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 23:48:25 »

Is your Soarer converter working already? If yes, then all you need to do is to copy a .SC file from the configs directory from you're Soarer package, open it and modify it to your liking (follow the doc for examples and start with some easy modifications). Once you have the mapping you want, you open a command shell window, position yourself on the sctools directory in the Soarer folder using the cd command and type scas ?. This will give you the syntax for using the scas tool. All you need to so is then type scas <your .sc file> <the new file name>. This will create a new file that is a compiled version of you're mapping. Then, while you have you're Soarer converter plugged, you type in the same command line: scwr <you're new file name>. This will send the file to the Soarer and become you're layout.

You can do this again to change the layout again!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1199 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 06:55:28 »

Wcass made it easy in post # 560