Author Topic: Industrial SSK - $.99 starting bid  (Read 12449 times)

Offline mecano

Re: Industrial SSK - $.99 starting bid
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 14:32:26 »
It makes you wonder if the seller has some buddies of theirs artificially driving the prices up on popular items.  I'm not talking just keyboards, but everything.

Shills!!!!!! Sure there are some around!

Some prices are just illogical.  This is an excellent example.
I guess some people have money to burn.

I take the opportunity to say that I never bought any antique silver plated cheese dish at $200 or whatsoever.
I was just trying to be smart with fohat nick, pot head pixies know.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 14:50:42 »
If IBM were to start making these again, I doubt they'd sell for anywhere near $700+.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 15:13:57 »
I don't even understand what all the fuss is about. It's a Model M with an (admittedly slick) grey paint scheme of which someone chopped the tenkey off. Sure it's rare, but REALLY?!

I could have a nice holiday for money like this (or almost two grams of Pd(PCy3)(CHPh)(Mes2imid)Cl2!)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 15:23:50 »
Why pay so much for a Model M when it doesn't feel as nearly as awesome as a Model F? :p :rolleyes:

agreed.  To take it a step further I dont necessarily care for TKL keyboards, though I can see the attraction.  Model F just takes buckling spring action to another level.  Have to admit though I use my Unicomp M at work and I really do love the feel of it as well.  I am always finding excuses to type at work and at home.  This is an example of such an excuse :).

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 15:25:46 »
I don't even understand what all the fuss is about. It's a Model M with an (admittedly slick) grey paint scheme of which someone chopped the tenkey off. Sure it's rare, but REALLY?!

I could have a nice holiday for money like this (or almost two grams of Pd(PCy3)(CHPh)(Mes2imid)Cl2!)

It is not paint, it is a different colored plastic that is of a rare variety, and the secondary legends for the embedded numpad are a bit more rare I believe.  Its about supply and demand.  Just because you can't justify the cost doesn't mean it isn't worth that.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 15:30:15 »

It is not paint, it is a different colored plastic that is of a rare variety, and the secondary legends for the embedded numpad are a bit more rare I believe.

Not to mention, it's an SSK, not a hack job.  Very rare & desired color scheme + uncommon & very well-known layout = $$$$$

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 16:16:46 »
But still 200x more common than ellipse's 77-key Model F that he has taken so much flak over.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 18:08:26 »

It is not paint, it is a different colored plastic that is of a rare variety, and the secondary legends for the embedded numpad are a bit more rare I believe.

Not to mention, it's an SSK, not a hack job.  Very rare & desired color scheme + uncommon & very well-known layout = $$$$$
Well I'll agree it's better than a baseball card xD .

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 18:23:24 »
But still 200x more common** than ellipse's 77-key Model F that he has taken so much flak over.

**that we know of right now  ;)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 18:36:48 »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 01:53:24 »

Code: [Select]
Crazy Chemist
You weren't lying.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 02:19:04 »

Code: [Select]
Crazy Chemist
You weren't lying.
Sorry, I was working late, sometimes it kind of slips out xD .

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 18:54:41 »
Sold for $821.00  :eek:
I would do anything for for love, but I won't do that.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 19:06:11 »
Holy.

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 19:12:52 »
$1K would not have surprised me in the slightest.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 20:39:23 »
Did anyone here get it?

Offline roman736

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:03:27 »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 11:06:46 »
Did anyone here get it?

Me.

Really, awesome! Please post pictures when it arrives

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 13:16:44 »
Did anyone here get it?

Me.

Congratulations!

With a little care, the keyboard should last you for many years.  It's unlikely anyone will make these ever again.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 14:58:22 »
Congrats Roman!  Only a few of these have come up for auction in recent memory.

Caution -  price discussion for collectible items in the spoiler  $821 is about $80 less than what my factory customized Industrial SSKs sell for with my off eBay discount,  so it is in line with what many of these ISSK's in great condition have sold for. It is interesting these ISSKs sell for more than F62s which are also in high demand and low supply.   Though I am basing the F62 estimated price on that one unit up on eBay a few months ago.