Author Topic: How to program a teensy clone (Soarer's converter)?  (Read 10258 times)

Offline Wingklip

• I am the one the one the one the one the one
How to program a teensy clone (Soarer's converter)?
« on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 17:49:25 »
I should've read carefully that the teensy 2.0 was closed source... anyways, I ended up with a couple of green LED blinking boards which do what the teensies should do when they are about to be programmed but are not compatible with the programming tool provided by the teensy site, aka the loader. So now I either have to make do or file a paypal dispute and get ebay to refund me for sending me fakes ;)

Are there any ways to still use it with soarer's converter? It uses the ATMEL MEGA32U4-MU 1604E PH A35U3A and also has the identical pinout to the teensy original.
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: How to program a teensy clone (Soarer's converter)?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:49:06 »
I thought that a "Teensy" was a proprietary product from PJRC.

The "alternatives" seem to be used by a lot of people because they are cheaper.

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/teensy-2-0-alternatives-atmega32u4-t4253.html?hilit=soarer%20programming

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 21:22:50 »
It's a fake teensy though, does any other loader work on it?
If you 1v1 me in a cage fight I will use an AK-74 for ranged and an IBM model F 122 for melee

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 06:22:24 »
Hmmm, I don't have Linux save for a very frustrating raspberry pi, but I have tried all the flashing things like exe avrdude and Atmega flip, but none of these can even see the mega 32u4.

In device manager it shows consumer vendor defined device and hid input devices, and duplicate numbers of generic USB, but no com port. Even when I press the reset button to initiate the bootloader software.

Quite strange I must say, but I have tried all I currently can (without trying too much)

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 09:23:11 »
The Flip package from Atmega should have included a driver for the Atmega chips. Is the driver installed? If you press/release the reset button is there a new device, perhaps an unknown device, in the device manager?
REΛLFORCE

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:30:53 »
Haha, the problem is that it isn't an unknown device. I tried installing the flip Atmega drivers but it says they aren't compatible, check if it is for Windows x64/86 etc etc.

But this main issue is that it appears as two USB generics, vendor defined device, and hid input device all at the same time. When you press the button, the duplicates combine into one each but still I can't install the driver on any of the three different things. No com ports either detected. Quite strange

Offline Tactile

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 16:40:15 »
I tried installing the flip Atmega drivers but it says they aren't compatible, check if it is for Windows x64/86 etc etc.

Well, if there's no driver installed for the Atmega chip, whatever else you might try won't do any good.

This thread might help...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85705.msg2298382#msg2298382
REΛLFORCE

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 18:27:24 »
Hmmm, I don't have Linux save for a very frustrating raspberry pi, but I have tried all the flashing things like exe avrdude and Atmega flip, but none of these can even see the mega 32u4.

In device manager it shows consumer vendor defined device and hid input devices, and duplicate numbers of generic USB, but no com port. Even when I press the reset button to initiate the bootloader software.

Quite strange I must say, but I have tried all I currently can (without trying too much)

Consider installing Linux Lite or Ubuntu, and then avrdude.  Follow the deskthority tutorial on how to use a Pro Micro Clone to flash the .hex file.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 01:57:54 »
I tried installing the flip Atmega drivers but it says they aren't compatible, check if it is for Windows x64/86 etc etc.

Well, if there's no driver installed for the Atmega chip, whatever else you might try won't do any good.

Consider installing Linux Lite or Ubuntu, and then avrdude.  Follow the deskthority tutorial on how to use a Pro Micro Clone to flash the .hex file.

The issue is that the device found is around 6 separate ones, when you press a button it becomes 3, and yet none are the atmega32u4 chip. Would Linux help if windows can't detect the device as an unknown single one or an Atmega 32u4? I'm not too sure but I think I might just be able to use the raspberry pi if it is a possible solution

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 13:33:58 »

The issue is that the device found is around 6 separate ones, when you press a button it becomes 3, and yet none are the atmega32u4 chip. Would Linux help if windows can't detect the device as an unknown single one or an Atmega 32u4? I'm not too sure but I think I might just be able to use the raspberry pi if it is a possible solution

If you're willing to wait, it may be less frustrating by ordering a Pro Micro clone, which will most likely work.  They can be purchased for < $5 USD.  I've purchased several of them and haven't had any issues flashing them.  Otherwise, try a Linux distro.  You can always uninstall after you're done.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 02:31:50 »
I'll give it a shot  :thumb:

I'll keep you guys updated. This might be some sort of breakthrough (though slightly illegal)
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2017, 02:41:23 by Wingklip »

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 20:29:37 »
The guys at the teesn yclone store sent me a strange clone of the teensy bootloader (looks the same but has different font  :eek:)

I've managed to load the soarer's 1.12 converter onto the oddball only with that as even Linux can't find a com port.

But now I have a different problem. When I plug in an IBM model m of the old version the lock LEDs don't flash. Newer model IBM Lexmark's however do, and even the crappy Compaq hamster I'm testing on now.

The clone board lights up its led for 3-4 seconds every time I plug in or unplug the ps2 cable.

What could possibly be the problem? I'm like on the edge of tomorrow but I'm so pissed because it took this long  :confused:

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 06:07:13 »
Are you hot swapping the keyboards?
I don't think Soarer's converters have that functionality.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 20:17:25 »
How exactly do you even use soarer's converter on the first run? I'm really confused by his missing documentation on it.

I mean, I read somewhere that you plug the keyboard in before you plug the USB in, but that still doesn't make sense when only what looks like low current keyboards flash when plugged in.

Could it be not giving enough current?

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 06:57:15 »
How exactly do you even use soarer's converter on the first run? I'm really confused by his missing documentation on it.

I mean, I read somewhere that you plug the keyboard in before you plug the USB in, but that still doesn't make sense when only what looks like low current keyboards flash when plugged in.

Could it be not giving enough current?

In a nutshell, load the hex onto the 'teensy', disconnect the usb, run hid_listen and reconnect the usb.  Hopefully hid_listen shows the keyboard being recognised and give a HID code output to key presses.
The documentation (v1.12_docs) is more to do with configuration programming and he never really wrote anything for installation other than what is in his posts.

You are correct in the connection procedure.

That's quite possible.

What plug does you model m have?
Can you test for continuity from the usb 5V to the keyboard 5V pad on the teensy?

You can flash the teensy with or without a keyboard connected.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline tobsn

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 05:41:40 »
@Wingklip did you rage quit on it or did it work out? :D

Offline Wingklip

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 03:16:59 »
Ah, I see there is another

They gave me some old version of the teensy software which looks bootleg with a different font, but I was able to flash it. Keyboard didn't seem to work though.

Haven't given it another shot yet, but I have sent an eBay case for fake proprietary items

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 21:21:50 »
Before I knew that PJRC made the Teensy, 2.0, I bought one off eBay.  The real TeensyLoader would not program it.  After research I found out it was a clone.  I then promptly purchased the real Teensy 2.0 from PJRC. My clone came with F6 printed twice and a red LED.  I was able to program it by searching for an alternative teensy loader not really designed to program clones, but it worked.  Just do your research and you will find it too.  I'm just glad I was able to purchase the real thing from PJRC, and not risk my project not working because of a fake board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 August 2017, 08:25:29 by swindled_by_clone »