Author Topic: Alps keyboard?  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Avi_

Alps keyboard?
« on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 07:26:04 »
I never tried Alps. I want to try them, but I don't want to use a winkeyless keyboard (no switch no matter how good can justify the absence of Windows keys in my opinion). Do Blue Alps keyboards with Windows keys exist?

Offline envyy24

Re: Alps keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 08:55:50 »
You can always make your own modern board with alps. There are modern pcb that supports ALPS.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 17:30:50 »

Do Blue Alps keyboards with Windows keys exist?

Blue Alps were discontinued long before Windows came around.

Dell AT101W is the best chassis with native Windows keys. I transplanted blue Alps into a black one and it worked out well.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 23:42:34 »
The Ducky 1008XM and ABS M1 were also potentially capable choices, but much harder to find these days.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline mode

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 01:30:08 »
You're going to have to do some soldering to get blue alps with windows keys without a weird focus/northgate type layout.

Dipping your toe in is a lot easier/cheaper if you accept a weird layout and get any cheap pine white board going or go for a non-clicky switch with an apple SKCM orange/salmon board.

Offline Avi_

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 05:36:47 »
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll take the first Blue Alps board I encounter. And if I like the switches enough, the quest for searching/building the proper Alps board begins...

Offline mode

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 06:23:25 »
Just make sure it’s clean!

Offline hpetrovski

• Osum
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 07:48:08 »
Take a look at https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_Blue,
You might have some luck checking your local craigslist-type listings for any of the keyboards listed on the wiki site:

Accodata Keycat
Acer KB-101A
Some Chicony KB-5160
Some Chicony KB-5161
Datacomp DFK102
Some Focus FK-555[3]
Some Focus FK-2001 and Focus FK-2002
Forward Electronics FDA-101
Leading Edge DC-2014
Most Leading Edge DC-3014
Some Monterey K104
Multitech KB-101A[4]
NEC PC-8801 Mk II SR
Some early Northgate OmniKey models
Some NTC KB-6151
Some NTC KB-6251/6252
OEMMAX MCK-101 (Ortek OEM)[5]
Panasonic Business Partner 286 keyboard (normal keys)
Tulip ATK 030244

These aren't the only keyboards that ever came with SKCM Blue, so if you find something that looks promising, make sure to ask the seller to take close-up photos of a switch to make sure you're getting the real deal. I haven't found an SKCM Blue board yet, but I found one with SKCM Pine Whites. Also, make sure you're not getting the simplified version of any alps switches, known as SKBL/SKBM. You can read up more about those here https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKBL/SKBM_series, but basically make sure the switches you're getting have slits.
Good luck hunting!

Offline ollir_

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 14:45:53 »
If you've got the patience and the money, then sure, go for SKCM blue straight away. But do consider getting a board with pine white SKCMs, because those are seriously nice too and very close to the blues. They do not have 100% the finesse you get with blue Alps, but you are getting something that resembles them 90% and as such will give you an idea if you are on the right path.

Good luck!

Offline Avi_

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 10:39:07 »
Now I obtained a blue Alps keyboard. The keyboard itself is not that good, it's Chicony KB-5162. And I need a keyboard with Windows keys anyway. My choices are:

1. Dell AT-101W. Most obvious choice, but this keyboard is way too big for me. Focus FK-2001 is the same category.
2. Custom keyboard. I was able to find only 60% sets (PCB + plate) easily available. Even then, I don't fully understand what stabilizers do I need for such a build. The keycap availability may also be a problem. And I don't really like 60%. Ah, there is also some 75% orthogonal set, but I'm not into this kind of experimentation at this point.
3. KBParadise V60. Same as #2, but without stabilizer/keycap concerns.
4. Filco Zero. This would be perfect. 80% is my favorite size. I just don't know how easy it would be to obtain it.
5. Maybe some Matias keyboard? They look kinda ugly in my opinion. Are Matias switches perfectly interchangeable with Alps?
6. After some additional research I found that KBParadise V80 comes with Matias switches. This would be ideal. Again, can I just replace Matias with Alps?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 11:57:46 »

but this keyboard is way too big for me.

If you could tolerate a full-size, the Northgate Omnikey 101 is by far and away the best chassis. Otherwise the Dell AT101 is the most solid.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 08:37:09 »
You could get a Mattias keyboard. They have brand new keyboards with alps.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 09:01:15 »
You could get a Mattias keyboard. They have brand new keyboards with alps.

They're not Alps but the mechanism is similar to SKBM Alps
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 09:01:57 »
I'd just get Omnikey because the layout for it is the best  and I like it more than Focus keyboard.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!