Author Topic: Kinesis LF with foot pedal?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline justsade

Kinesis LF with foot pedal?
« on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 17:24:49 »
I'm taking the plunge and getting a Kinesis Advantage. After a lot of lurking, I've decided that the LP model with the red switches is for me.

But I want foot pedals too! Kinesis sells two kinds, one using USB and one that plugs straight into the Kinesis. Does anyone have experience with these?

I'm on OSX and I've read that the USB pedals can only be programmed with Windows, so I'm not sure about those. How would the other one be programmed?

Should I go either either of them, or should I find some other foot pedal?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 22:32:28 by justsade »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Kinesis LP with foot pedal?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:30:16 »
I thought the kinesis with reds is the "LF" model, but it should be awesome either way.

Another option you might consider is adding switches to your kinesis. According to Sordna here, it's pretty easy.

Offline justsade

Re: Kinesis LF with foot pedal?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 22:33:25 »
Oops, thanks for that.

Offline sordna

Re: Kinesis LF with foot pedal?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:38:30 »
The USB footswitches are independent of the keyboard, they can be viewed as adding a mini keyboard to your computer. The normal switches that plug into the Advantage keyboard can be viewed as extra switches on the keyboard itself. I am using the latter and have both a kinesis footswitch, as well as some generic ones that I wired to an RJ plug. Since you are on OSX I would suggest getting the normal Kinesis footswitches (not the USB ones) since the regular ones can be programmed from the keyboard itself, just like all other keys on the keyboard, so it's completely OS independent. You can have up to 3 pedals hooked up to your keyboard, for different actions.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard