Author Topic: Adventures with wireless mice  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Sniping

Adventures with wireless mice
« on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 18:35:14 »
So around 5 years ago I made the move to try my first wireless mouse. It was a Logitech G602. And yeah, a wireless gaming mouse to be exact. Served me well and I was a fan of it, but the middle click finally broke earlier this summer so I've been eyeing newer models. I heard mixed things about the G604 and I wasn't interested at all in the G603, so I ended up getting a G604 and a Razer Basilisk, and they're both coming in the mail this week and I'll see if these newer mice keep up with the older G602. The one main problem I had with the G602 is that the sensor has a very low max velocity; it would only track like 2m/s. The sensor would go wild if you exceeded that. It would REALLY annoy me in the past but I learned to play with it, even though it was suboptimal. The 604's hero sensor improves on that with like 300 inches/second velocity so hopefully that will become a nonissue.

Offline yui

Re: Adventures with wireless mice
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 01:50:42 »
there are 2 schools when your old wireless logitech fails, either you buy a new one or buy new micro-switches and fix it :) for some reasons the switches fails before the battery every-time
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 03:46:52 »
The switches are running way out of spec (volts, amps and pressure).

When the wireless itself gets flakey, make sure it's the mouse, if so, new mouse time. Logitech used to get this way after a year or 2 of hard use but that hasn't been the case since the unireceiver or whatever they call it. Not sure about their bluetooth, my Anywhere is acting funky, but it's on Bluetooth and Mac has some blueooth issues. Bluetooth on Mac went to garbage on Sierra and hasn't gotten much better since.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sniping

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 03:27:00 »
there are 2 schools when your old wireless logitech fails, either you buy a new one or buy new micro-switches and fix it :) for some reasons the switches fails before the battery every-time

HAHA yeah the g602 is still with me and i was thinking about a repair job, but these new models are shiny and i wanted to try them too.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 03:31:47 »
so the basilisk came in yesterday and i had two evenings of gaming with it. it's quite lighter than the g602 but that was a heavy mouse to boot, way heavier than the g9x that i used prior to that. well small nitpick but i think it's stupid that they have a preset for 16000 dpi, which is just absurd. don't even know why they attempt to show that off. the shape of the mouse is close to the g502, and not too far off from my g602 besides not having a rest for the pinky. the shape is good. i like this dual bluetooth and 2.4 feature, and they hide the usb receiver in the mouse in a nice way inside the battery compartment, which is great. doing well with this razer thing. the g604 comes in soon so we'll see if it's worth the extra bit of coin.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 00:13:25 »
Finally got the G604 in the mail.

The very first impression I got was this weird sound coming from the scroll wheel. It moves around left and right as you slide the mouse, makes this small noise and you can notice this weight shift as the scroll wheel moves back and forth. To me, this might actually be a deal breaker already. It's a little lighter than my G602 which had 2 AA's, not as light as the Razer Basilisk. The finish of the mouse is sleeker than the G602 and on par with the Basilisk. It has the same compartment tray as the Basilisk to hold the USB receiver, which I like a lot. I like the switches on the G604 better than the Basilisk. I don't know anything about mice switches but I wish the ones that were on the 604 were used on the Basilisk.

As I typed this, I decided that I'm going to keep the Basilisk and not the G604. This scroll wheel movement is a game breaker and really distracting. I could probably get used to it but I expect more for the price premium. I know logitech has been on a roll with the price premiums with the G502 lightspeed selling for like $120.

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 01:43:39 »
i think the side movement you complain about is logitech's side scrolling thing. if it worked in anything it should scroll left and right, but i have not found anything working with it...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 08:49:29 »
Hero sensor is upgraded to 25 k and also model o wireless revealed, that would be your best bet

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 08:57:23 »
I'm still very happy w/ my Logitech G403 as my go to wireless mouse.  I do love my Model O, Flick G1, and Scream One, but I have started to like the wireless of the G403 more as I don't have to worry about a cable binding and causing issues w/ work or in a match.  I am looking forward to the Model O wireless and to see the wireless option coming from Final Mouse as well - also would love to get my hands on and test out a Logitech GPW - even though I'm more a fan of Ergo-esk mice. 
Alot of the mice I have in my back stock- rotation I've started bringing to work to use at the different stations as well - mainly so the wife doesn't get mad about my hardware hoarding issues.  So far at work I brought in my Deathadder Chroma BO3 edition for my desk and my Zowie EC1-A (white edition) - co-workers have loved the EC1-A since i put it at our printing station. 
There is no shortage of the chance you'll find a mouse that fits your needs now-a-days since everyone is making a mouse and a lightweight option as well. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D