Author Topic: Ergotron HX monitor arms - thoughts on minimum weight?  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Coreda

Ergotron HX monitor arms - thoughts on minimum weight?
« on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 03:59:07 »
Not sure if anyone here has one of these, it's the model up from the LX, intended for heavier monitors between 20-42lbs.

I have a monitor that's 17lbs though and wondering if the lowest spring tension would be still allow it to be lowered close to the surface of the desk (hoping to have the edge of the display about 3 inches from the surface). Considering the HX model since I prefer the design of the base pivot and the rigidity I've heard is better than the LX.

One YT review touched on the weight thing by saying 20lbs is about the lowest they'd place on one of these but they didn't expand on it and I wondered if there were other thoughts.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 04:00:45 by Coreda »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Ergotron HX monitor arms - thoughts on minimum weight?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 04:26:37 »
If it worked with lighter than 20lbs the manufacturer would surely advertise that - they'd rather sell everyone the more expensive model so they make more profit.

There's nothing stopping you getting longer bolts and adding some weights behind the monitor though...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 04:28:39 »
It will probably not hold position well if it's too light.

I don't trust spring ones, either they move too easy or not at all, in which case, what's the point of the spring. Many can lock in place, but again, what's the point of a spring then?
I've had wall mounts (similar), they're nice, but one thing to consider on all of these is the leverage on them. Ever see those clamp on table lamps and how often they have clamp issues, are you sure you want to trust a monitor to something similar, even if made better? Go read the various reviews on them on Amazon, so many problems with them, all of them, falling, not staying in place... Seriously, I spent a LOT of time on this and in the end, none of them sounded that good. If the single arms look bad, it's worse for multi-screens. Seriously, how hard can this be?

After years with my wall mounts, which I was only sort of happy with the entire time, I found a better way, at least for me, once I got a better monitor. Use a monitor shelf. They are more sturdy, cheaper, compatible with any screen, doesn't wear over time or have weird issues and it gets the monitor stand off your desk. I ended up with more desk space and more storage this way than had I gone with an arm. The only trouble is you need a screen with adjustable height or you may have trouble getting the height right.

If you do go for an arm, my advice is don't spend a ton (which is easy to do), don't expect greatness (they all suck in some way), and keep in mind that there is actually only a few options, all made by the same companies so don't buy one because of the name. And above all else, make sure it fits (a rule you are trying to break), because they are such fickle things, and not cheap, you want the one that works, not because it looks nice. Pay attention to the way it mounts to the desk, that and springs (again where you are trying to cheat) is almost always what people complain about.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 04:41:11 »
If it worked with lighter than 20lbs the manufacturer would surely advertise that - they'd rather sell everyone the more expensive model so they make more profit.

There's nothing stopping you getting longer bolts and adding some weights behind the monitor though...

Yeah was thinking perhaps adding some weight would make up for it but it seems kind of a kludge.

I don't trust spring ones, either they move too easy or not at all, in which case, what's the point of the spring.

Ever see those clamp on table lamps and how often they have clamp issues, are you sure you want to trust a monitor to something similar, even if made better? Go read the various reviews on them on Amazon, so many problems with them, all of them, falling, not staying in place...

Keep in mind that there is actually only a few options, all made by the same companies so don't buy one because of the name.

Well, table lamps I've used with clamps were mostly garbo due to the clamp not being made appropriately. Haven't actually read of any issues with these, either on Amazon or elsewhere. About the worst thing someone mentioned in a video review is that if they're mounted on the left/right of a desk and they're extended while leaning your weight on them (they were using them for supporting a screen-based graphics tablet) that the middle and upper joints couldn't be locked as completely as the base joint and so could move very slightly. Hardly an issue for monitors though or if keeping within the weight specs.

Honestly they seem well made by all accounts which is what also attracted me to them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 04:43:35 by Coreda »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 05:16:51 »
Hmm, after finding the right search query combination this this might kill two birds with one stone. A VESA mounting plate that is made to be heavy for adding weight for minimum display arm requirements.

Comes in a 4.38lbs weight.

Edit: that price though, LOL.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 05:33:37 »
the humanscale m8 arm i have is still holding up well. they sell cheap used on ebay so i'd look into that. i still can't find another arm that advertises being able to support that much weight. going to try to mount my 43" tv on it in the next week or two

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 09:50:43 »
That's stupid expensive for gas spring.

There are WAYYYY cheaper monitor arms w/ gas spring.

There's nothing high tech about this stuff.

As for the weight. They're adjustable, and if it's too light, just tie a rock to the back of the arm, 5lb rocks arn't that large.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 14:54:52 »
Well, table lamps I've used with clamps were mostly garbo due to the clamp not being made appropriately. Haven't actually read of any issues with these, either on Amazon or elsewhere. About the worst thing someone mentioned in a video review is that if they're mounted on the left/right of a desk and they're extended while leaning your weight on them (they were using them for supporting a screen-based graphics tablet) that the middle and upper joints couldn't be locked as completely as the base joint and so could move very slightly. Hardly an issue for monitors though or if keeping within the weight specs.

The monitor is 20 pounds, the arm extends out about 20 inches, that works out to 400 pounds of leverage on the clamp.  This is why those clamps suck.  No, you probably won't extend it out all the way (very often), the point is leverage on such a small clamp is going to destroy anything not well made (solid wood, NOT mdf). By the way, this weight doesn't include the vesa bracket, the arm itself, or any weight you add to it, that is just the 20 pound monitor. It's not a good way to mount that much weight.

I found several reviews where the arms sagged, even under less than advertised weight (gas springs do that), as well as complaints about being unable to get replacement parts.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 16:29:19 »
I usually cut 2x 1 foot lengths of 3/4 inch flooring to sandwich the table between the clamp. This is usually enough sturdiness for clamp type mounts.  but yea, know the limitations.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 22:05:30 »
The monitor is 20 pounds, the arm extends out about 20 inches, that works out to 400 pounds of leverage on the clamp... Such a small clamp is going to destroy anything not well made (solid wood, NOT mdf).

Mmm, that's why I was considering solid wood (current desk already is). MDF would flex under the potential torque at such extensions, which is what a tradesman type I spoke with mentioned. Certainly wouldn't want to go into this without such considerations, for sure.

I found several reviews where the arms sagged, even under less than advertised weight (gas springs do that), as well as complaints about being unable to get replacement parts.

Mind linking the reviews for the HX? The latter I saw in one LX Amazon review, though in their case they left out a screw from the arm simply as it stripped and didn't replace it since they couldn't source them from Ergotron, despite the screws being readily available elsewhere unbeknownst to that customer (it lists all the screw types in the manual). The user went ahead with a one screw and ended up damaging several parts due to doing so, by their own admission. If it wasn't user error it would have probably been covered by their warranty. Even so, it's something I've kept in mind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 22:07:20 by Coreda »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 02:18:37 »
After re-checking the dimensions diagrams in their PDF I realized that the mount base would need to be offset 4.75'' from the center (due to how the joints are angled) since I have the monitor fairly close to the wall.

My symmetrical arrangement. RIP. Then again, I have the monitor low enough the majority of the time I probably wouldn't see it. Hmm.

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2019, 02:36:53 by Coreda »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 05:10:59 »
Mmm, that's why I was considering solid wood (current desk already is). MDF would flex under the potential torque at such extensions, which is what a tradesman type I spoke with mentioned. Certainly wouldn't want to go into this without such considerations, for sure.
A lot of people do unfortunately

Mind linking the reviews for the HX? The latter I saw in one LX Amazon review, though in their case they left out a screw from the arm simply as it stripped and didn't replace it since they couldn't source them from Ergotron, despite the screws being readily available elsewhere unbeknownst to that customer (it lists all the screw types in the manual). The user went ahead with a one screw and ended up damaging several parts due to doing so, by their own admission. If it wasn't user error it would have probably been covered by their warranty. Even so, it's something I've kept in mind.
The ones I saw were for the LX, though to be fair, it's actually quite well rated.
The HX has too few reviews to really draw any conclusions, they're all good, but 5 reviews is far too easily manipulated.

If you want an arm, you could certainly do worse, though I still think it's a bit over priced.
I'm not sure if they offer it, but some offer brackets that bolt to the desk, either onto it or through it, those would be much more secure.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More