Author Topic: 'Standardize" Set for Smaller Boards??  (Read 1507 times)

Offline LiamMichael

'Standardize" Set for Smaller Boards??
« on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 06:24:16 »
Trying to figure out if I'm alone here - but all of my boards are 60/40s. In order to cover them, I'm in for a minimum of 3 if not 4 sets to get full coverage for both from most Group Buys, and then use maybe a third of the caps? Ever.

'Standard' sets off the shelf sometimes work for my 60s but now with all the split 60s, you're in 40s territory for cap needs.

I've been working on trying to put together a singe, condensed set - one that will cover "most" 60/40 - with a single? add-on for the more exotics. Working to keep the total number of caps low, make sets more approachable (i.e. affordable), and just keep from having most of a set on the shelf never being used.

And if in the end it's just me, then I guess I'll just have to figure out how to make my own caps. And quickly, since I've got three boards that need caps...

Offline yui

Re: 'Standardize" Set for Smaller Boards??
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 06:35:39 »
the problem that i see when you try to standardize something that is custom is that nobody will follow your standards or that you will need quite a lot of key to cover most possibilities, especially with small form factors. that being said i respect the effort and frankly would be happy to see you succeed but i have no idea on how can anyone help you at the current stage, although maybe take a look at kat space cadet kitting the set was originally only meant for 60% and under, and then they opened up to up to 147% (Hyper7).
Have a nice one and keep us posted.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Willtato

• I like small Keyboards
Re: 'Standardize" Set for Smaller Boards??
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 November 2020, 06:45:19 »
Hi, I'm a 40s person, and I know your pain.  Luckily for me, I can use the bad sets to prevent me from buying any more keycap sets (and just that I'm really picky). 
There have been so may times that there either isn't a 40s set or that the 40s set is crap and doesn't fit my needs.

40s and small boards are special in that you get so many different unique combinations of keys, but make it hard to kit. 

The best option I can suggest is a uniform layout (so you can essentially put any cap from any row that fits other than the convex space).  If you don't like the mods being labeled incorrectly, then swap the labels for novelties. 

If you're looking for a set now that does this, then try DSA Magical Girl R2.  There's the original colour from R1, but also a Dark theme new to this round.  You get alphas and novelties, and no mods, so that solves another problem. 

(People need to start getting into flat boards.  I'd argue that it's better than angled.)

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk