Author Topic: Did i kill this thing?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline poster

Did i kill this thing?
« on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 22:08:25 »
Hey all!

I have a 1987 Model M i've been typing on since I was 5 and knocked soda in it last night. It was typing 1's with a 2 every time i pressed 2, the shift and tab keys would press at the same time when i hit one of them, and the LCTRL doesn't work.

I cleaned out the gunk and I think everything on it is ok except the LCTRL key. I had LCTRL hit a few times after blow drying it for a bit an hour ago, but it stopped working again.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this key work again? Should I wait and see? I'd be super bummed if I had to get rid of it :(

Offline theferenc

Did i kill this thing?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 23:40:16 »
Welcome to geekhack.

It's likely you got some gunk left on the membrane. Odds are, you're going to have to disassemble and bolt mod it to get it fully clean again.

It isn't hard, it just requires patience and attention to detail.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Did i kill this thing?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 01:36:45 »
And if you've got the emotional attachment from having used it that long I'd be surprised if you didn't do it.

Of course, if you decided not to, putting it up for sale in the classified section so that someone else can fix it would be better than throwing it away.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline theferenc

Did i kill this thing?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 08:27:45 »
Definitely do not toss it. You could probably (as in, I probably would, depending on time), find someone who would be willing to clean and bolt mod it if you pay for shipping both ways plus parts. If you're in CONUS, that would come to about $25-30, depending on shipping costs, more if you want new springs (which would be a good idea, honestly, but not necessary).

That said, it really isn't hard to bolt mod if you have the tools and the patience. Just take it slow and pay attention to what you're doing. First time takes a few hours, but is totally doable. And make sure to thoroughly clean, and then thoroughly dry off, all of the parts.

Denture cleaner is your friend for the keys and caps, the membranes can just be wiped down, and the rubber mat can be gently washed with dish soap in the sink. Just MAKE SURE everything is FULLY dry before you reassemble, especially that mat.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball