Author Topic: "Softer" keycaps  (Read 7622 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
"Softer" keycaps
« on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 11:20:14 »
I'm absolutely in love with how Ducky Shine caps feel (same kind as CM Storm Trigger uses)--they are the transparent ABS plastic coated in some color.  What's great about them is that they have a very soft feel.  Not only the soft-touch top surface, which will probably wear off at some point, but just how soft the landing with them is, and how well they dampen sounds, and, as I don't bottom out much, they still somehow feel softer overall.  A very pleasant typing sensation.

Is this specific to the transparent/coated ABS?  I have tried Retro DSA now, and the keys are really hard plastic, with a totally different sound characteristic and much harsher landing.  Same goes for 2 older WYSE double-shot keys I've tried--much harder plastic with low shock absorption properties.

So I have a two-fold question:

1. Are the thick PBTs even harder feeling than Retro DSA?  And Signature Plastics doubleshots?  How would the upcoming Dolch set from Originative compare?

2. What would be the closest in softness to the Ducky Shine / CM Storm Trigger (and similar) caps?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: "Softer" keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 11:29:54 »
If you check out my signature, I'm running a keycap test tour. I have thick PBT, retro DSA caps, and a ton of other caps. If you want to answer this question for yourself, sign up here!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 11:31:15 »
This is just a guess, but I think the "softness" comes from what Ducky calls "dual coating" that they've applied on the keycaps. I'm assuming that this is some kind of 2-layered matte clear coat.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 11:34:30 »
This is just a guess, but I think the "softness" comes from what Ducky calls "dual coating" that they've applied on the keycaps. I'm assuming that this is some kind of 2-layered matte clear coat.

Yeah, but the keycaps themselves have more flex than doubleshot Wyse caps.  DSA Retro have close to no flex in comparison (when squeezing two sides of a cap).

Regarding the keycap tour, it sounds interesting and is a great idea for sure!  But I'm looking for an answer sooner (as the tour might take quite a long time!)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 11:36:30 »
Regarding the keycap tour, it sounds interesting and is a great idea for sure!  But I'm looking for an answer sooner (as the tour might take quite a long time!)

Yes but no one can tell you how the caps feel to you :D. I have different opinions than most people on thick PBT vs thick ABS for example. And I'm only looking for a few more people to sign up before I start the tour. Should get it inside a month.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 12:26:04 »
The relative amount of flex is not very subjective though for the same shape of caps.  The Shine caps are much easier to flex than double shot ABS.  How hard are POM caps?  I wonder if they are similar.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:51:25 »
Trying the flex thing you said I felt from softest to hardest

Filco stock keys < SP double shot < DSA Retro < Round 1 PBT

Yea the PBT is harder and I can't flex it at all. The dolch set is made by GMK so I'd imagine it'd be between Retro and PBT.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:36:24 »
Thanks, Lb--very helpful!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:32:15 »
Yeah I've wondered about similar thing before too.  I've tried black Filco then tried a beige Filco.  I find even just between black ABS caps and beige ABS caps you can already tell a difference.  Personally I like the black ABS better.  So I went on to find keycaps with similar "shock absorbing" properties.

Turns out PBT is very harsh.  Since it's a harder, less flexible material compare to ABS.  I've also tried Cherry thick ABS keycaps but while they are a bit softer than PBT but I find overall they're still pretty harsh.  Now that I think about it you could be right.  Combining ABS + whatever paint they spray on it must've made it very shock absorbing.

Maybe it's time for me to buy my first Ducky (or any other backlit keyboard with coated keycaps)  :P

Thanks dude !

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:41:39 »
Sure, I'm surprised there aren't more keycaps made of this soft material.  I think the semi-transparent plastic that serves as the base for the Shine (and similar) caps, is softer than solid colored ABS caps to start with.  Then the coating makes the caps soft to touch and more rubbery.  I really "enjoy my feeling" when typing on the Shine caps.  Now I'm looking for permanent caps for my Filco project, which has no backlight.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:19:12 »
Yeah I went on to mechanicalkeyboard.com right after trying to find Ducky Shine keycaps.  But they were all sold out.  I'm guessing they're getting rid of old stock until the new version that match with Shine 3 and Ducky Zero Shine.

I guess it's not a huge deal to use backlit keycaps on non-backlit board (since it's still fairly visible).  But yes I'm also still trying to find my ideal keycap for my Filco  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 08:27:55 »
It's funny, I have a Ducky Shine II as well and I hated the stock keycaps because they were so soft. I ended up getting a set of PBT caps, which gave much better tactility with the Clear switches.

Offline NthTier

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:03:47 »
It's funny, I have a Ducky Shine II as well and I hated the stock keycaps because they were so soft. I ended up getting a set of PBT caps, which gave much better tactility with the Clear switches.

^ this.  Using thick PBT caps and the board feels and sounds quite different.