Author Topic: "clear" Lambda keycap  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Acerpwns

"clear" Lambda keycap
« on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:40:48 »
so i wanted to make my new keyboard Valve themed. i have found other lambda keycaps that are orange with the black lambda symbol. my problem is that my keyboard has backlighting. so does a black with clear lambda symbol exist?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: "clear" Lambda keycap
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:50:58 »
so i wanted to make my new keyboard Valve themed. i have found other lambda keycaps that are orange with the black lambda symbol. my problem is that my keyboard has backlighting. so does a black with clear lambda symbol exist?

Probably not, just because (correct me if im wrong) the original lambda keys like the ones sold on techkeys were part of a group buy. That and I believe it is difficult to doublshoot clear plastic for such a large area.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:53:22 »
I've never seen a backlit version, and I'm positive they don't exist
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:10:24 »
You could always see if SP will be willing to make a doubleshot keycap with a polycarbonate legend.
I believe they have tried it before and it produces less than desirable results with striped legends from inconsistencies, but that's the best you will get.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:35:03 »
Max keyboard makes a lot of different backlit caps, you might check their website.

Offline Acerpwns

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 14:09:45 »
well not the whole key is clear. i have a CM Storm Mech and the CM storm keys are black with a  "clear" letter

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 14:12:15 »
well not the whole key is clear. i have a CM Storm Mech and the CM storm keys are black with a  "clear" letter
Yeah I'm saying they don't have any variation like that too my knowledge
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Acerpwns

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 14:26:52 »
Yeah I'm saying they don't have any variation like that too my knowledge
oh sorry i didnt mean to quote you, i meant to quote @drhubblephd i just sent an email to Fentech Industries to see if anything in those regions would be possible

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 02:52:13 »

That's because those are not doubleshot. The whole cap is made from a semi-clear material and has a black coating to block the light everywhere except where the legend is.

The WASD keycaps are single colour ABS with pad printed legends if I am not mistaken, so they're not backlit.

SP can do ABS / polycarbonate doubleshots, but they have support grids in the mold and can look a bit odd:

If they use semi-opaque white PC material with black ABS base material it could look quite nice. Not sure what they'd charge for just a few, though. They should already have the Lambda mold (since they made the black and orange SA profile caps), but I'm not sure if it can be used with DCS profile base.

Also be aware that SP's DCS profile is not the same as the OEM profile keycaps that come with your keyboard (and neither is the SA profile orange and black Lambda cap), so it will be a different height to the other caps on that row of your board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Acerpwns

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 07:29:12 »

That's because those are not doubleshot. The whole cap is made from a semi-clear material and has a black coating to block the light everywhere except where the legend is.

The WASD keycaps are single colour ABS with pad printed legends if I am not mistaken, so they're not backlit.

SP can do ABS / polycarbonate doubleshots, but they have support grids in the mold and can look a bit odd:

Show Image

Show Image

If they use semi-opaque white PC material with black ABS base material it could look quite nice. Not sure what they'd charge for just a few, though. They should already have the Lambda mold (since they made the black and orange SA profile caps), but I'm not sure if it can be used with DCS profile base.

Also be aware that SP's DCS profile is not the same as the OEM profile keycaps that come with your keyboard (and neither is the SA profile orange and black Lambda cap), so it will be a different height to the other caps on that row of your board.
im still new at the whole mechanical keyboard thing, so i didnt understand much of that.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 07:31:36 »

Offline Acerpwns

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 07:34:05 »
yeah like that but i was wondering if one like that with the Lambda symbol on top existed :)

Offline MessyCaps

• Stressed out cap maker taking a break :S
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 07:35:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

I actually really like them grid lines in the keys, they look pretty neat.