Author Topic: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)  (Read 773198 times)

Offline TerryMathews

Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO
« Reply #2300 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 22:10:31 »
You know what was a GB ran well? Jangled's et al. GMK 9009 R2. I know it's only a set of keycaps but goddamn are they on point. My set sitting in my car as we speak, until I get home to put it on my phantom.

I'm jealous, and kicking myself, for not picking up 9009, such a gorgeous set

It's the best. Dixiemech has extras that should be coming up soon, you should pick one up (assuming you're US).

Come and gone.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #2301 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 22:50:18 »
It's the best. Dixiemech has extras that should be coming up soon, you should pick one up (assuming you're US).
Come and gone.

The M65-A overstock ran me a little dry of funds, and then I went and picked up another keyboard from a local user just because I could still afford rent after the M54-A. I couldn't have justified a keycap set on top of it (I will tell myself to make myself feel better. But I am looking forward to seeing people's 9009 builds.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 February 2018, 01:12:53 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2302 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 02:11:12 »
Come and gone.

The M65-A overstock ran me a little dry of funds, and then I went and picked up another keyboard from a local user just because I could still afford rent after the M54-A. I couldn't have justified a keycap set on top of it (I will tell myself to make myself feel better. But I am looking forward to seeing people's 9009 builds.

Well, my guess is it will run again within the year. Early 2019 if nothing else. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone just started stocking 9009 and every one of its child kits somewhere.

« Reply #2303 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 03:25:26 »
Well, my guess is it will run again within the year. Early 2019 if nothing else. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone just started stocking 9009 and every one of its child kits somewhere.

What I'm really holding out for, and what I think would look really good on the Exent is SA Jukebox. I saw on MD that they have TaiHao Cubic Jukebox, but I'm not sure how I feel about the cubic profile... It's a pretty cheap set though...

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2304 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 10:52:50 »

What I'm really holding out for, and what I think would look really good on the Exent is SA Jukebox. I saw on MD that they have TaiHao Cubic Jukebox, but I'm not sure how I feel about the cubic profile... It's a pretty cheap set though...

SA jukebox is pretty ****in dope to be sure. I've seen a lot of really cool builds with that set.

Offline fuzzbomb

« Reply #2305 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 20:57:04 »
No update since January 2nd, when juahenza said that premium kits were shipping. This has been a complete disaster.

Yuktsi's last update regarding the GMK sets was on the 31st, not the 2nd.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87213.msg2555563#msg2555563

Not saying that's excusable in any way, just saying spreading misinformation is far from optimal/fair not only to them but to the rest of us.

I don't intend to pick through 47 pages to find sporadic posts. They need to add information to the update section at the front of the thread, that's why it exists. The last update was on January 2nd.

Offline fuzzbomb

« Reply #2306 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 21:00:17 »

#Update 9th August 2017

Been awhile since the last update from us. This will serve as the update section, we are committed to updating everyone on a weekly basis.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #2307 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 21:11:07 »
I don't intend to pick through 47 pages to find sporadic posts. They need to add information to the update section at the front of the thread, that's why it exists. The last update was on January 2nd.

Yuktsi can't edit Jua's posts. There has been updates but still no excuse for jua being MIA for weeks.
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline demorior

Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)
« Reply #2308 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 21:13:30 »

#Update 9th August 2017

Been awhile since the last update from us. This will serve as the update section, we are committed to updating everyone on a weekly basis.

Hahahahahahahaha.
imagine ordering a basic poly bottom kit that shipped last year but the gb runners decided it would be a smart idea to ship assembled so your poly bottom is ****ed up and the pcb is disfunctional so even though you should've been the first to have a functioning product you're going to end up being the last. yay.

Offline Koojahyung

• 안녕하세요.
« Reply #2309 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 05:51:39 »
 What's the problem with alu-bottom??
please tell us. it has been passed 1week since you promise to updating shipping invoice.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #2310 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 08:26:03 »

The last update given by Juahenza was on January 2nd, I agree that the front page is the best place for updates but if you don't intend to keep up with the thread then there's no point spreading misinformation and FUD. There's plenty of that as it is.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2311 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 12:02:45 »
Boy we sure are lucky to have us a white knight in Vigrith!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2312 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 12:50:33 »

Doesn't seem he's white knighting; if you think that, then you must have a different definition of it.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #2313 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:15:34 »
Ah here we go again  :))

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #2314 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:17:02 »
I assumed most people like myself just read 'Panca.....' and immediately move on to the next post?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #2315 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:40:52 »
I assumed most people like myself just read 'Panca.....' and immediately move on to the next post?

The opposite way, i didn't even join the GB and sometimes in the evening i enjoy coming here and check out if there is our dear Pancake 

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #2316 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:54:04 »

Your definition of "white knight" seems warped, I think you spend too much time on the internet. I understand you're upset and trying to instigate again just because I didn't reply to the highly friendly PM you sent me after you got shunned off the thread a few weeks back but there really is no need to try and escalate things publicly. Are you familiar with the term fremdschämen?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2317 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:57:17 »

Your definition of "white knight" seems warped, I think you spend too much time on the internet. I understand you're upset and trying to instigate again just because I didn't reply to the highly friendly PM you sent me after you got shunned off the thread a few weeks back but there really is no need to try and escalate things publicly. Are you familiar with the term fremdschämen?

frendsrämen? No I can't say that I'm familiar with that flavor of noodles. I just like watching you constantly blow smoke up the asses of the group buy runners, it's sick I know.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:00:10 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline Traveler

[GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)
« Reply #2318 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:01:54 »
Are you familiar with the term fremdschämen?

fremdschämen? Everything is better with friends.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2319 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:03:06 »
Are you familiar with the term fremdschämen?

fremdschämen? Everything is better with friends.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #2320 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:10:19 »

There was only one white knight here, and he stopped when his phone number was added to the bathroom stalls in ****halla.

(Hi DPD!)

« Reply #2321 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:35:27 »
Hi DPD!

I stopped when someone compared me to TP4. I realized I had reached an all time internet low. Really hit rock bottom. Spent some time there, did some soul searching, a little meditation, listened to world music and picked myself back up. Got clean. I'm still on the road to recovery, it's a long path, but I think I can make it.

Edit: And let me be clear, do I think the runners are doing a swell job? No, I think they are doing a really poor job. Do I care? No, it literally doesn't matter to me, it doesn't matter how long it takes for the inessential toy I want, that literally has no critical impact to my life whether it is there or not and is just a thing I want, to show up. And I'm still am perfectly happy to continue to wait until I eventually get it.

I feel like less of a White Knight, and more of a Devil's Advocate.

« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:47:26 by dead_pixel_design »

« Reply #2322 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:40:05 »
I didn't mean to double post!
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 14:46:35 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline demorior

« Reply #2323 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 15:10:56 »
i can b ur angle or ur devil

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2324 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 00:21:59 »
Hey so in all seriousness I had to disassemble my exent and now I can't get it working again.

It's typing out like random sequences of numbers and commas. I tried to follow the catweewee guide "firm up" then download, but I can't get it to give me the rows and columns of "bad" anymore.

I can't map anything. I can't get some keys to respond.

Hilariously for some of you I'm sure, I've managed to destroy my exent. This time it's my fault though, but if anyone can give me some help here I would actually appreciate it.

I guess my Exent is shot. Does anyone have a PCB they'd be willing to sell me?

FYI it shows up as ps2avrgb (or whatever), regardless of if I'm shorting the control key or not.

So I don't understand this. For some reason, bootmapper (with toggle bootmapper or whatever clicked) picks up keys. But when I try actually typing with it, like into google for example, it spits out gibberish.

E.g.

QWERTY: .1,13..1,12..1,11..1,10..1,9..1,8.

I'm guessing those are rows/columns, but it would be nice if it could output letters instead.

Also, bootmapper won't pick up the far left column. ESC, and all the other keys below it don't work. Although I've intermittently gotten it to load into bootmapper mode with the LCRTL key held down.

« Last Edit: Tue, 20 February 2018, 01:04:13 by PancakeMSTR »

« Reply #2325 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 01:08:32 »
For some reason, bootmapper (with toggle bootmapper or whatever clicked) picks up keys. But when I try actually typing with it, like into google for example, it spits out gibberish.

E.g.

This is really ****ty. I don't think it was anything you did. I had a similar issue with my VE.A, the whole bottom row was outputting similar, odd strings of characters. It was after I tried to remap it, I was able to get it working again just by unplugging it from the USB cable, rebooting my computer, and plugging it back in. After which I had to go in an remap a few keys. If you haven't tried that yet it is worth a shot. Seems too simple to work, but it did work for me with Bootmapper. I hope that does work...

Do we know what other PCBs will work with Exent?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2326 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 01:13:45 »
For some reason, bootmapper (with toggle bootmapper or whatever clicked) picks up keys. But when I try actually typing with it, like into google for example, it spits out gibberish.

E.g.

This is really ****ty. I don't think it was anything you did. I had a similar issue with my VE.A, the whole bottom row was outputting similar, odd strings of characters. It was after I tried to remap it, I was able to get it working again just by unplugging it from the USB cable, rebooting my computer, and plugging it back in. After which I had to go in an remap a few keys. If you haven't tried that yet it is worth a shot. Seems too simple to work, but it did work for me with Bootmapper. I hope that does work...

Do we know what other PCBs will work with Exent?

I've actually had similar things  happen with the Exent, and rebooting and replugging has fixed it. At any rate, really strange results from the keyboard fixed by reboot.

I think the outputting of the column information has to do with bootmapper being toggled on. I can actually get it to type, you know, useful stuff now. Still, left column non functional, no idea why.

And here's the thing: it seems stuck in the function layer. It's not typing on the normal layer and I don't know why.

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #2327 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 01:23:05 »
Hey so in all seriousness I had to disassemble my exent and now I can't get it working again.

It's typing out like random sequences of numbers and commas. I tried to follow the catweewee guide "firm up" then download, but I can't get it to give me the rows and columns of "bad" anymore.

Hilariously for some of you I'm sure, I've managed to destroy my exent. This time it's my fault though, but if anyone can give me some help here I would actually appreciate it.

FYI it shows up as ps2avrgb (or whatever), regardless of if I'm shorting the control key or not.

So I don't understand this. For some reason, bootmapper (with toggle bootmapper or whatever clicked) picks up keys. But when I try actually typing with it, like into google for example, it spits out gibberish.

E.g.

I'm guessing those are rows/columns, but it would be nice if it could output letters instead.

Also, bootmapper won't pick up the far left column. ESC, and all the other keys below it don't work. Although I've intermittently gotten it to load into bootmapper mode with the LCRTL key held down.
Try unplugging/restarting/replugging and bootmapper mode a few times. Also change the language to ENG while in the bootmapper mode if you haven't yet. My b.fake PCB does that sometimes.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2328 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 01:29:57 »

E.g.

Try unplugging/restarting/replugging and bootmapper mode a few times. Also change the language to ENG while in the bootmapper mode if you haven't yet. My b.fake PCB does that sometimes.

I have. So many times.

Shouldn't have taken the ****ing thing apart ffs.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2329 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 10:31:23 »

Hey, man.  Sorry to hear. I don't think it was your fault.  And, truthfully, I don't think many harbor ill-will towards you.  This has been a tough experience for many/most involved, and we all get a case of "keyboard courage."  Hopefully you can get this working.  Take care, pancake.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #2330 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 10:56:42 »

What all was involved in your disassembly? Did you desolder some things? Is it possible there's residue somewhere, or that you knocked off a diode or something?

That really sucks. My only custom board is a UK78 and the PCB on it is pretty fragile too as far as firmware. If the same goes for the Exent that's really not gonna be cool. Kinda sucks the joy out of a custom board.

If the rumor about refunds is false, if/when I eventually get my shipment, and assuming both of my PCBs are in working order I might be willing to sell you my extra PCB. I was planning on building another board with a handmade case but I don't have an extra plate, so that's going to be a bit challenging to create or get my hands on. It's likely something I wouldn't follow through with doing.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2331 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 11:01:34 »

What all was involved in your disassembly? Did you desolder some things? Is it possible there's residue somewhere, or that you knocked off a diode or something?

That really sucks. My only custom board is a UK78 and the PCB on it is pretty fragile too as far as firmware. If the same goes for the Exent that's really not gonna be cool. Kinda sucks the joy out of a custom board.

If the rumor about refunds is false, if/when I eventually get my shipment, and assuming both of my PCBs are in working order I might be willing to sell you my extra PCB. I was planning on building another board with a handmade case but I don't have an extra plate, so that's going to be a bit challenging to create or get my hands on. It's likely something I wouldn't follow through with doing.

Yeah I did a complete desolder. I've done it before on another keyboard and had no issues (other than it always being a complete pain in the ass). I'm very experienced and careful.

I can't identify any missing components. It's conceivable there is residue somewhere, like some solder that got sprayed where it shouldn't have, but it would be under the switches now.

I'm like 99% sure that this problem developed while I was resoldering. I was testing it as I was going and it was working just fine (I think) and then, after some point, it started behaving really weird.

I would really, really love it if you'd be willing to sell me your spare PCB. This keyboard is basically ornamental at this point.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2332 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 12:11:22 »

Yeah I did a complete desolder. I've done it before on another keyboard and had no issues (other than it always being a complete pain in the ass). I'm very experienced and careful.

I can't identify any missing components. It's conceivable there is residue somewhere, like some solder that got sprayed where it shouldn't have, but it would be under the switches now.

I'm like 99% sure that this problem developed while I was resoldering. I was testing it as I was going and it was working just fine (I think) and then, after some point, it started behaving really weird.

I would really, really love it if you'd be willing to sell me your spare PCB. This keyboard is basically ornamental at this point.

Let's get a photo of your PCB and see what we can troubleshoot.  I'm doubting you did anything at this point and am guessing that it's the firmware.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2333 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 12:24:26 »

Let's get a photo of your PCB and see what we can troubleshoot.  I'm doubting you did anything at this point and am guessing that it's the firmware.

I'll upload tonight.

« Reply #2334 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:33:56 »

I'll upload tonight.

Pretty sure I've had this problem before on a different board based on this firmware and I solved it by getting the latest firmware and bootloader etc from the site. This link should be the latest version I think:

http://blog.winkeyless.kr/222

It's in Korean which I'm assuming you don't speak. My advice would be to use a google translate browser extension to translate it (works out easier than using the actual site imo) assuming you don't already have one. I'm pretty sure I just followed instructions and made sure the date on everything was the latest, may have had one or two issues but I managed to figure them out (it was a while back and I can't really remember exact details I'm afraid). I haven't got my Exent yet so I'm not familiar with any possible specifics however or if it needs a certain version.

Either way I'd give it a crack and if it doesn't work/you can't figure it out if you wait a day or two I'm sure somebody far more knowledgeable than myself will post in here and be able to help you out. I'd be pretty surprised if it does actually turn out to be a hardware issue/something getting knocked off.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2335 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 19:41:03 »

I'll upload tonight.

Pretty sure I've had this problem before on a different board based on this firmware and I solved it by getting the latest firmware and bootloader etc from the site. This link should be the latest version I think:

It's in Korean which I'm assuming you don't speak. My advice would be to use a google translate browser extension to translate it (works out easier than using the actual site imo) assuming you don't already have one. I'm pretty sure I just followed instructions and made sure the date on everything was the latest, may have had one or two issues but I managed to figure them out (it was a while back and I can't really remember exact details I'm afraid). I haven't got my Exent yet so I'm not familiar with any possible specifics however or if it needs a certain version.

Either way I'd give it a crack and if it doesn't work/you can't figure it out if you wait a day or two I'm sure somebody far more knowledgeable than myself will post in here and be able to help you out. I'd be pretty surprised if it does actually turn out to be a hardware issue/something getting knocked off.

I'm already using Version 0.10.0.

Where's a link to the latest firmware you're talking about? the ps2avrNRKO or whatever?

I'll get around to uploading a picture of the PCB later, but I'm kinda worried the left column is seriously dead. I have no idea how to check for sure.

The reason I say that is I'm not convinced I'm actually getting the thing into bootloader mode, which requires the left CRTL key to be held down.  Is there any way to beyond a shadow of doubt tell if I'm in bootloader mode? Is there a way of jumping terminals on the MCU to get it into the bootloader?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 February 2018, 19:57:10 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2336 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 00:46:21 »
PCB Picture: https://imgur.com/a/XHy0g

Let me know if I need a better picture.

Offline eddible

« Reply #2337 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 03:53:12 »

Have you tried just cleaning it up with an alcohol wipe? Sometimes I've found just giving it a good clean will resolve strange keymap issues if there's a short somewhere. Also, I saw you mention your issues above, is there a firmware file you can flash to the board at all (I haven't seen the guide, just thinking out loud)? I only ask as I had a FaceW board that was playing me up in similar ways to yours, and it was because I had flashed the wrong firmware so the keys were all over the place.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2338 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 12:56:20 »

Picture is good.  Some observations:

• Microcontroller, USB connection, diodes, and pads all look good.
  • Besides the unsoldered switches, soldering looks good and does not interfere with components around it.
  • Today I learned the EXENT supports plate mount switches...
  • No lifted pads or weird traces

From what I see, I'm guessing this is a firmware issue.  I'd finish soldering and give it another go.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2339 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:06:32 »
From all the input he has gave us, it's clearly a firmware issue. The thing here is how to solve it if he cannot access to the bootloader mode.
Have you tried to connect it and put it in bootloader mode with the bootmapper client? If that doesn't work, I think you should be able to re-flash it with ps2avrgb firmware again or even with QMK.

Mine did some strange things too when I tried it before uploading a layout to it and it just needed to be flashed.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2340 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:07:02 »

• Besides the unsoldered switches, soldering looks good and does not interfere with components around it.

From what I see, I'm guessing this is a firmware issue.  I'd finish soldering and give it another go.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Surely EVERY PCB supports plate-mounted switches?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2341 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:10:43 »
In another matter, has anyone noticed that the Exent support lots more layouts than the disclosed when the keyboard was created? You can fill the entire right side of the bottom row with 1x's and combine 1.25x with 1x's as well, not only 1.5x with 1x's. If I remember correctly, you could also put all 1x's in the left side of the bottom row, and for the split space there are more options as well, pretty exciting. Yesterday I did play with it for more than an hour and a half.

Offline Data

« Reply #2342 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:31:26 »

Indeed, they do.  Unless the PCB somehow doesn't allow a plate...

In another matter, has anyone noticed that the Exent support lots more layouts than the disclosed when the keyboard was created? You can fill the entire right side of the bottom row with 1x's and combine 1.25x with 1x's as well, not only 1.5x with 1x's. If I remember correctly, you could also put all 1x's in the left side of the bottom row, and for the split space there are more options as well, pretty exciting. Yesterday I did play with it for more than an hour and a half.
This may be true, but you'll want to confirm by following the traces.  It's possible that some switch positions aren't supported by the matrix due to overlap.  I've seen this on at least one other board (GH-122).
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:34:00 by Data »

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2343 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:43:04 »
Someone on reddit suggested I follow traces to make sure that all the keys, when pressed, are doing what they are "supposed to."

I have a voltmeter and can test connectivity, I'm just not quite sure what to look for. Can someone advise me on that? Maybe even draw some example test case on my PCB image?

Thanks.

My guess is if I can get the thing actually into bootloader mode, which requires fixing whatever is wrong with the left column, then I can reflash the firmware and get it back to working. Maybe at least.

Is there any way to jump terminals on the microcontroller itself to get it into bootloader mode? Like GND and Reset or something? I can't remember if I've asked that here.

@d.caminero: How would I put it into bootloader mode client side? Or even with QMK or whatever?

Maybe I can try flashing with QMK I dunno. I'll have to try it later.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 13:45:06 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline Traveler

« Reply #2344 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:29:04 »
Someone on reddit suggested I follow traces to make sure that all the keys, when pressed, are doing what they are "supposed to."

I have a voltmeter and can test connectivity, I'm just not quite sure what to look for. Can someone advise me on that? Maybe even draw some example test case on my PCB image?

Thanks.

My guess is if I can get the thing actually into bootloader mode, which requires fixing whatever is wrong with the left column, then I can reflash the firmware and get it back to working. Maybe at least.

Is there any way to jump terminals on the microcontroller itself to get it into bootloader mode? Like GND and Reset or something? I can't remember if I've asked that here.

@d.caminero: How would I put it into bootloader mode client side? Or even with QMK or whatever?

I doubt it will help, but here's a nice mini guide to using bootmapper:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58945.0

Really sucks that the left side of your board is broken; you need a key from that side to put the board into boot mapper mode.

Something interesting about boot mapper mode is that instead of keystrokes it does send out column+row information, which kinda sounds like your issue. But the entire board should be doing that, so it really does sound like your firmware is jacked up.

As far as a way to jump terminals on the microcontroller itself, I would think that would be possible. Toward the bottom left of the PCB when it's face down like that you can see the six pins that you need. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with them in that orientation so I'm not sure which ones do what. I would assume the last two are the reset and ground, but I don't like assuming things. If you can find out you can use these with an ISP programmer if necessary to revive the board.

I've never had a pleasant experience with QMK, so I'd carefully consider before trying to flash it. My current QMK-powered board is a brick right now until I can get everything desoldered and ISP program it. For some reason whoever designed the PCB decided to stick the ISP connectors on the top of the PCB and not underneath, so I can't access said connectors with the switch plate on.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2345 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:56:44 »

Thanks.

Something interesting about boot mapper mode is that instead of keystrokes it does send out column+row information, which kinda sounds like your issue. But the entire board should be doing that, so it really does sound like your firmware is jacked up.

Right that's what it's doing, just...the left column doesn't work. So maybe I'm stuck in bootloader mode? In which case we're trying to figure out how to get out of it, not into it. Maybe the left column is working and just locked on or something I dunno.

I'm gonna desolder, which will have to wait till this weekend. See if that fixes the problem. If not, then try and get it working with nothing mounted to it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:09:52 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2346 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:01:41 »

Correction... I meant PCB.  lol.

« Reply #2347 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:08:16 »

I'll upload tonight.

I'm already using Version 0.10.0.

Where's a link to the latest firmware you're talking about? the ps2avrNRKO or whatever?

I'll get around to uploading a picture of the PCB later, but I'm kinda worried the left column is seriously dead. I have no idea how to check for sure.

The reason I say that is I'm not convinced I'm actually getting the thing into bootloader mode, which requires the left CRTL key to be held down.  Is there any way to beyond a shadow of doubt tell if I'm in bootloader mode? Is there a way of jumping terminals on the MCU to get it into the bootloader?

I'm guessing that's supposed to be a version after 0.9.0? Just seems a weird name to give it as I'd interpret that the same as 0.1.0, also I can't see that version on Winkeyless' (Hojin) site who I believe is the creator if I'm not mistaken?

Anyway, I think this should be the firmware you want https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases/tag/V1.4.0

This has a short description of it http://blog.winkeyless.kr/153

This is the Bootmapper client that goes with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bn9flirkb49ahz/BootMapperClient.zip?dl=0

Description page: http://blog.winkeyless.kr/154

How to use bootmapper page: http://blog.winkeyless.kr/154

I'd suggest having a browse around winkeyless' site if there is other information you need

Jumping terminals etc is probably above my pay grade and I have no doubt there are other people on here that are far more knowledgeable about that sort of thing, so I'd rather leave that kind of stuff to them I'm afraid.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2348 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:09:35 »

Thanks.

I doubt it will help, but here's a nice mini guide to using bootmapper:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58945.0

Really sucks that the left side of your board is broken; you need a key from that side to put the board into boot mapper mode.

As far as a way to jump terminals on the microcontroller itself, I would think that would be possible. Toward the bottom left of the PCB when it's face down like that you can see the six pins that you need. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with them in that orientation so I'm not sure which ones do what. I would assume the last two are the reset and ground, but I don't like assuming things. If you can find out you can use these with an ISP programmer if necessary to revive the board.

I've never had a pleasant experience with QMK, so I'd carefully consider before trying to flash it. My current QMK-powered board is a brick right now until I can get everything desoldered and ISP program it. For some reason whoever designed the PCB decided to stick the ISP connectors on the top of the PCB and not underneath, so I can't access said connectors with the switch plate on.

The label starts at the square pin and is labelled as ICSP01, so that should be the #1 pin.  If there are any active GB leaders here, or others that have run into initiating bootloader mode, they could confirm.

I still don't think this is a physical issue.  It sounds like a firmware issue.  As long as you can find a way to get into bootloader mode, you should be able to erase/load the memory.  I don't understand why all PCB designers don't have a small button for that can be used to get into bootloader mode instead of using jumps?  The switch part is not expensive and it only takes two leads to bridge the pins you need.

PLease report back with what you find!

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2349 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:15:25 »

The label starts at the square pin and is labelled as ICSP01, so that should be the #1 pin.  If there are any active GB leaders here, or others that have run into initiating bootloader mode, they could confirm.

I still don't think this is a physical issue.  It sounds like a firmware issue.  As long as you can find a way to get into bootloader mode, you should be able to erase/load the memory.  I don't understand why all PCB designers don't have a small button for that can be used to get into bootloader mode instead of using jumps?  The switch part is not expensive and it only takes two leads to bridge the pins you need.

PLease report back with what you find!

That's what I figured, but then I also found this: https://imgur.com/a/VP6bX

At this point I'm not sure what I think. I think it is as likely that I've got the keyboard stuck in bootloader mode as not, because the symptoms are indicative of being stuck in bootloader mode (typing out row/col information). If I'm stuck in bootloader mode, I should be able to flash and reprogram and clear the EEPROM and etc, but I can't. Or I can, e.g. I can install firmware according to the bootmapper client, but it doesn't fix anything.

I don't know how to test if the left column is broken in some way, like not sending signals, or if the firmware side of things isn't picking them up.