Author Topic: [GB] GMK Shorebound GB Postponed.  (Read 7645 times)

Offline pupper125

[GB] GMK Shorebound GB Postponed.
« on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 00:47:54 »

Welcome to GMK Shorebound!
    GMK Shorebound is a bright, light going keyset themed around tropical beaches and the summer life that I've experienced down here in Australia! By using this keyset, you'll transport yourself into the summer lifestyle, and become one with the waves!

Make sure to leave comments in the reply section!

GB DATE:
    POSTPONED

ESTIMATED SHIP DATE:
    POSTPONED

VENDORS:

EU: proto[Typist] https://prototypist.net/

US: Keyhaw https://keyhaw.com/

CA: Ashkeebs https://www.ashkeebs.com/

ASIA: zFrontier https://en.zfrontier.com/

AUSTRALIA: DailyClack https://dailyclack.com/

VIETNAM: InfinityKey https://infinitykey.zone/

TRAILER:

COLOURS:

PRICING:
    BASE KIT: 140USD
    NOVELTIES: 65USD
    40s/ORTHO: 50USD
    SPACEBARS: 25USD
    DESKMATS: 25USD

KITS

BASE KIT

40s/ORTHO KIT:

SPACEBAR KIT:

NOVELTIES KIT:

DESKMATS:

OCEAN BLUE:

SAND YELLOW:

SEA FOAM:

CASE RENDERS:

RUKIA STYLE CASE

RAMA M60-A

IRON165

J-02

SIGNATURE
    By putting this into your signature, you're supporting me and helping me out a ton!

[/list]
    Code: [Select]

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 00:47:03 by pupper125 »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
    • snoozing
    Re: [GB] GMK Shorebound GB Started!
    « Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 03:46:54 »
    Approved
    Very busy with studies atm.

Offline pupper125

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 04:34:31 »

Offline Kingk22

• Naptime
    « Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 05:54:53 »
    Interesting set, I just have a few questions that I wasn't able to ask when the IC thread was locked
    • why is there no 1.75u shift (even though one of the reendered keyboards includes one, I can't find it in any of the kits)
    • why are the r3 control and stepped caps centred
    • why is there both win keys and super keys
    • why is the 40s kit icon only but the other kits are text + icon
    • why are there 7 r1 esc keys

Offline pupper125

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 06:37:55 »
    Interesting set, I just have a few questions that I wasn't able to ask when the IC thread was locked
    • why is there no 1.75u shift (even though one of the reendered keyboards includes one, I can't find it in any of the kits)
    • why are the r3 control and stepped caps centred
    • why is there both win keys and super keys
    • why is the 40s kit icon only but the other kits are text + icon
    • why are there 7 r1 esc keys

• 1.75u shift exists now, was just a rendering error
    • consistency with other mods below
    • options available for people if they want either
    • 7 esc keys in order to give options for each colour type

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
    « Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 07:49:48 »
    Website looking great, Keyhaw!

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
    « Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 10:40:58 »
    Furthermore to king's comment above:

Base:

- Alpha coloured Esc is very unorthodox and in most people's eyes doesn't work. It's a modifier like your other sand-coloured keys and though an accent would of course work, this isn't one.
    - Re: centred control, caps. No other GMK set has ever done this and I'm almost entirely certain that GMK will produce this with it in the regular position. On the off-chance it really would be centred, this isn't consistent as you say. Your R4 controls are centred however the rest of your R4 modifiers aren't so they really stick out. All of these modifiers should be left-centred.
    - Alpha coloured arrows are once again very unorthodox to say the least and I would strongly suggest trying to get those changed to accent coloured (dark blue).
    - You say you want options for people who want either (re: win + super) however they're different sizes so not interchangeable.

However, the main culprit here is the 40s/Ortho kit:

- Your row profiling is completely off. The top row of keys should be R2. With R1 you'll run into very many problems. Though this change is pretty simple to make now it's pretty concerning how you didn't realise you have duplicate Esc keys. It seems like this has been just copied from another GMK set with no real thought put into it.
    - What does R1/2/3 mean? All those keycaps should be R3.
    - Ditto, what is R3/4? The top row of this should be R3, and bottom R4. Once again this comes off as pretty lazy and like you've just guessed rows without even looking into what you're supporting.
    - Having an icon-only 40s kit and icon+text base means many 40s boards will be left with a weird mix of both. There's simply no reason for this and again, looks like you've just copied another set's kitting including the icons.

Spacebars:

- This in comparison isn't too bad. Your 6.25 and 7.00 bars would typically be accent-coloured though, rather than mod-coloured as this is pretty frowned upon.

Novelties and deskmats have 0 problems though; good job on them.

There are numerous other kitting choices you've made that are somewhat concerning but may be conscious decisions, but might also not be. If you pm me here or on discord (*tom#1646) I'll happily talk to you about it. Also, have you got physical references for the colours? Taking a look at my RAL and Pantone guides a couple of these colours look a bit off.

I have nothing against this set in particular but really don't think it was ready for GB. It feels very rushed and like what you'll produce may leave some consumers unsatisfied. I'd suggest you postpone it until a lot of these issues are fixed.
    Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline Emir

• icon mods
    • * Exquisite Elder
    • Bandit
      • Discord
    « Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 14:51:42 »

Base:

- Alpha coloured Esc is very unorthodox and in most people's eyes doesn't work. It's a modifier like your other sand-coloured keys and though an accent would of course work, this isn't one.
    - Re: centred control, caps. No other GMK set has ever done this and I'm almost entirely certain that GMK will produce this with it in the regular position. On the off-chance it really would be centred, this isn't consistent as you say. Your R4 controls are centred however the rest of your R4 modifiers aren't so they really stick out. All of these modifiers should be left-centred.
    - Alpha coloured arrows are once again very unorthodox to say the least and I would strongly suggest trying to get those changed to accent coloured (dark blue).
    - You say you want options for people who want either (re: win + super) however they're different sizes so not interchangeable.

- Your row profiling is completely off. The top row of keys should be R2. With R1 you'll run into very many problems. Though this change is pretty simple to make now it's pretty concerning how you didn't realise you have duplicate Esc keys. It seems like this has been just copied from another GMK set with no real thought put into it.
    - Ditto, what is R3/4? The top row of this should be R3, and bottom R4. Once again this comes off as pretty lazy and like you've just guessed rows without even looking into what you're supporting.
    - Having an icon-only 40s kit and icon+text base means many 40s boards will be left with a weird mix of both. There's simply no reason for this and again, looks like you've just copied another set's kitting including the icons.

Spacebars:

- This in comparison isn't too bad. Your 6.25 and 7.00 bars would typically be accent-coloured though, rather than mod-coloured as this is pretty frowned upon.

There are numerous other kitting choices you've made that are somewhat concerning but may be conscious decisions, but might also not be. If you pm me here or on discord (*tom#1646) I'll happily talk to you about it. Also, have you got physical references for the colours? Taking a look at my RAL and Pantone guides a couple of these colours look a bit off.

I have nothing against this set in particular but really don't think it was ready for GB. It feels very rushed and like what you'll produce may leave some consumers unsatisfied. I'd suggest you postpone it until a lot of these issues are fixed.

Good detailed post

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 17:53:24 »
    i see why people are concerned about the kitting, but i'm OK with because i would only get the base and maybe space bars. i'm more concerned about GMK being about to pull off these colors. i *really* want to go in on this, but i have a feeling that colors will come out considerably different.
    Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
    Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline VipermanGT2

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 21:13:18 »
    THIS IS WHY SOMEONE'S 2ND POST ON GEEKHACK SHOULD NOT BE AN INTEREST CHECK. Literally not it bro. I would delete this thread ASAP. This is just bad for the community as a whole. It shows people that any noob can come in and put together some garbage, and start a groupbuy. It exploits the lack of keycaps available in the market which is just the nature of high-end keycaps sets from GMK(although, this is not high-end). I don't think much knowledge or thought went into this. I really hope nobody actually takes this GB seriously. No offense to the OP, but this ain't it bro.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
    • Keyboard Stuff Person
      • wilba.tech
    « Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 21:14:46 »
    THIS IS WHY SOMEONE'S 2ND POST ON GEEKHACK SHOULD NOT BE AN INTEREST CHECK. Literally not it bro. I would delete this thread ASAP. This is just bad for the community as a whole. It shows people that any noob can come in and put together some garbage, and start a groupbuy. It exploits the lack of keycaps available in the market which is just the nature of high-end keycaps sets from GMK(although, this is not high-end). I don't think much knowledge or thought went into this. I really hope nobody actually takes this GB seriously. No offense to the OP, but this ain't it bro.

Good detailed post

Offline pupper125

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 00:12:10 »

Base:

Spacebars:

I have absolutely no excuse for these mistakes other than my mistake in not noticing the issues earlier, I have corrected them after a full review and analysis, and the kitting should now be up to an acceptable standard.

Offline pupper125

Re: [GB] GMK Shorebound GB Postponed.
    « Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 00:46:44 »
    Hello everybody, I am writing this statement to inform you that after a thought-out discussion between my vendors and I, we have decided to postpone GMK Shorebound until a later date, in hopes of having any and all issues that are currently present in the set smoothed out. All purchases will be refunded and the IC post will be re-launched in hopes of getting feedback and further support from all of you. Once again, I am sorry to announce this, but I believe that this will be for the best.

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
    « Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 00:53:26 »
    Truly incredible that this group buy went live w/out the designer or ANY of the six vendors to have caught any of these blatantly obvious errors.

Offline VipermanGT2

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 04:09:27 »
    Truly incredible that this group buy went live w/out the designer or ANY of the six vendors to have caught any of these blatantly obvious errors.
    Just goes to show, that most people aren’t in this for the hobby and quality of the “custom” community anymore. People just think they can come in and make easy money like all the other “limited” release type hobbies.
    There are ways to go about doing IC’s and GB’s that have been followed for years. Ideas should take time, research, redesign, examine the kitting, etc...over and over, until you have a finished product ready to IC. THEN, the community can give their feedback.
    I guess a lot of people think they can just come up with an idea, render their own or pay someone for a render, and they have something ready for IC. That shouldn’t be how it works, especially people new to GH/the hobby.
    I’m not saying a newcomer can’t come in and create something great, thorough, and end up with a great product. All I’m saying is that there is a good way to do things, and there is a BAD way to do things, and it seems a lot of people are opting for the latter in hopes of making something that’s “popular” or sells a lot, or makes them a bunch of money. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what it seems like lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pupper125

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 04:44:25 »
    Just goes to show, that most people aren’t in this for the hobby and quality of the “custom” community anymore. People just think they can come in and make easy money like all the other “limited” release type hobbies.
    There are ways to go about doing IC’s and GB’s that have been followed for years. Ideas should take time, research, redesign, examine the kitting, etc...over and over, until you have a finished product ready to IC. THEN, the community can give their feedback.
    I guess a lot of people think they can just come up with an idea, render their own or pay someone for a render, and they have something ready for IC. That shouldn’t be how it works, especially people new to GH/the hobby.
    I’m not saying a newcomer can’t come in and create something great, thorough, and end up with a great product. All I’m saying is that there is a good way to do things, and there is a BAD way to do things, and it seems a lot of people are opting for the latter in hopes of making something that’s “popular” or sells a lot, or makes them a bunch of money. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what it seems like lately.

I don't believe that this is the case whatsoever, sure there are some people who will attempt to milk the keyboard community with quick sets or other keyboard related goods, but most sets and designs in this community are made to a good standard. This project was the product of countless hours and hard work, however towards the end, I made the grave mistake of rushing towards a GB, and I regret this decision very much. I hope that when I come back to re-run this, it will be at a much more satisfactory standard.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
    « Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 14:38:59 »

I don't believe that this is the case whatsoever, sure there are some people who will attempt to milk the keyboard community with quick sets or other keyboard related goods, but most sets and designs in this community are made to a good standard. This project was the product of countless hours and hard work, however towards the end, I made the grave mistake of rushing towards a GB, and I regret this decision very much. I hope that when I come back to re-run this, it will be at a much more satisfactory standard.

While regrettable that it happened given the preponderance of knowledgable keyset designers and vendors that may have been able to help you during the research phase, it is commendable that you took the decision to delay the GB.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
    • snoozing
    « Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 14:50:47 »
    Locking this since GB is postponed and IC is relaunched. Can be unlocked at OP:s request when GB is ready.
    Very busy with studies atm.