Author Topic: [GB] Cherry MX Silent Black Switches - Shipping Update  (Read 109585 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [GB] Cherry MX Silent Black Switches - Shipping Update
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 14:32:03 »
Nobody has filed a paypal claim, so nobody will receive anything.

Oh shush. George will sort this out as best as possible.

Plus, didn't a bunch of these go out already?

Like... half before the distro got back to him?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #451 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 18:14:03 »

Hasn’t almost everyone already their switches? There are about 10 people on my end who asked to wait until we hear from Cherry, other than that everyone was already sent their switches.

Why would a paypal claim even need to happen?

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #452 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 01:06:58 »

Hasn’t almost everyone already their switches? There are about 10 people on my end who asked to wait until we hear from Cherry, other than that everyone was already sent their switches.

Yup, currently waiting for some lube so I can swap springs on the switches I received.

Right now just patiently waiting for the suppliers' message regarding on how this false spring installation happened and what will be done. GB itself was a great success IMO, just that Cherry messed up the switches on their end and it took a while to notice the mistake.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Kavik

« Reply #453 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 13:03:04 »

Yup, currently waiting for some lube so I can swap springs on the switches I received.

Right now just patiently waiting for the suppliers' message regarding on how this false spring installation happened and what will be done. GB itself was a great success IMO, just that Cherry messed up the switches on their end and it took a while to notice the mistake.

Definitely, really well run GB.

I was looking forward to stock MX Silent Blacks, so I'm one of the few who asked for my shipment to be held in the meantime, so just curious about the current status.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #454 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 14:04:41 »
I decided to buy five hundred and fifty 62g springs on Aliexpress for € 20,00. I wonder if Cherry will ever admit the mistake and give us a partial refund.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #455 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 14:09:30 »
I decided to buy five hundred and fifty 62g springs on Aliexpress for € 20,00. I wonder if Cherry will ever admit the mistake and give us a partial refund.

Not that many but me too (with the difference that i paid the same for less springs).  The current spring on the switch is really unusable. 

Not sure if anyone ended up using the stock springs but i would remind to not use it. 

Offline garbo

« Reply #456 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 15:21:01 »
Not that many but me too (with the difference that i paid the same for less springs).  The current spring on the switch is really unusable. 

Not sure if anyone ended up using the stock springs but i would remind to not use it.

In my experience the stock springs are fine after lubing. Not noisy at all and I actually quite like the weighting.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #457 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:29:38 »
Lubes received, let the swapping begin. 100g feels oddly light when inside a single loose switch. Will have to see how it feels with 104ish of them on a board. :D

Any news from the suppliers VicareyG?

EDIT: I presume lubing the stem dampeners will help with the switch being super sticky. Right now when I let the switches rest for a while the switch cracks loose from the top housing because the dampener sticks to it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 February 2018, 04:15:33 by ojrask »
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #458 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 16:34:19 »
I presume lubing the stem dampeners will help with the switch being super sticky.
I strongly suspected this. I guess I'll keep the lube away from the silent switches.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #459 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 16:42:47 »
The sticky thing is something that will happens initially, lubed or not.  It should stop to be sticky after a while (not much) 

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #460 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 18:16:48 »
I presume lubing the stem dampeners will help with the switch being super sticky.
I strongly suspected this. I guess I'll keep the lube away from the silent switches.

No no I meant it helps in not being sticky. Sorry for the confusion. I swapped springs into mine today and lubed them and they don't stick as much from what I have been able to test. :)
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #461 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 03:08:16 »
I wonder if ultrasonical cleaning of the stems can help to remove the "sticking agent" whatever it is.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #462 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 04:12:20 »
I wonder if ultrasonical cleaning of the stems can help to remove the "sticking agent" whatever it is.

Have no idea because i didn't tried, but imho not worth trying at all, once lubed and after 2 days of typing, is not sticky anymore (And really is not like a glue lol, it's just a slight initial resistence )

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #463 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:29:35 »
I'm interested at buying 100+ if anyone is selling. Thanks!

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #464 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:49:42 »
I'm interested at buying 100+ if anyone is selling. Thanks!

novelkeys.xyz still has some extras for sale.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 13:24:04 »
Hi everyone!

Sorry for the long silence. I received news from my supplier today.

Below is a link to a testing report from Cherry.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-5qTDjfSvq3vW2gFCH6C3P6Z3woIvOUH/view?usp=sharing

Apparently the spring weights are within acceptable limits.

Doesn't seem too good. I am not sure how to proceed form here. Any advice is helpful.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #466 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 13:42:58 »
End of story then. Cherry claims that the switches are fine, customers think otherwise.
Personally I believe you handled the GB flawlessly and I would surely join the future ones if the goods are in my area of interest.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #467 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 13:58:31 »
Aside from requesting detailed force graphs of the actual testing and perhaps filing a legal dispute, there is not much else we can do. I have a hard time believing that Cherry cannot verify the deviance on actuation force of this batch of switches given that all of us amateurs can feel the difference between switches from this particular GB vs. switches obtained via other sources. I feel like the impetus is on Cherry to provide actual evidence of this testing in some objective manner (i.e. hard data, graphs, along with a write-up of testing procedure along with up-to-date measuring equipment calibration certificates) as well as comparing this data to actual Cherry datasheets for these switches.

If the legal route is feasible, I still have all my switches from this GB as well as a handful of leftover Silent Black from Doyu studio's previous GB if you need representative samples. Not sure if it would help, but I don't really see Cherry's response as satisfactory, and perhaps some legal abitration is in order (not suggesting that this is the course of action to take, it's entirely up to George how to proceed). After all, we bought these switches based on expectations that are founded on Cherry spec sheets, if the products delivered differ, there's grounds for us to claim that products received are not to expectations (i.e. defective)

| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #468 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:37:23 »
Cherry lists the Silent Black as +-20g, so I don't think there's anything we can legally do aside from meme.

I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #469 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:40:33 »
Hi everyone!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-5qTDjfSvq3vW2gFCH6C3P6Z3woIvOUH/view?usp=sharing

Doesn't seem too good. I am not sure how to proceed form here. Any advice is helpful.

What is wrote in a tl;dr? just that the  spring weights are within acceptable limits lol (cuz of the -/+20 which is a joke?) 

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #470 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:41:53 »
With this tolerance, we're kind of lucky that all the springs weigh the same.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #471 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:43:44 »
I find it a bit strange that Cherry is actually arguing a keyboard entusiast community. I mean they should care for keeping us satified with their products.

As stated, GB went flawless and I would not hesitate to buy from VicareyG again. Thank you!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #472 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:53:15 »
I'm willing to bet that their internal tolerances are actually tighter than +/- 20g. My guess is that it is just their "public" tolerances so that they can't get sued. That way they have a cushion for a situation like this.

That said, I think that's an incredibly sh*tty way to go about this.

Like others have said, no complaints about the way VicareyG has handled this. Other than Cherry's mistake this was a perfectly smooth GB.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #473 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:03:14 »
Every manufacturer has these tolerances and you can normally find them on every retail board too, eg outemu boards, razer boards etc. That's nothing new and normal.

I find it a bit strange that Cherry is actually arguing a keyboard entusiast community. I mean they should care for keeping us satified with their products.

As stated, GB went flawless and I would not hesitate to buy from VicareyG again. Thank you!

Cherry is arguing with arrow.com and not the entusiast community.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #474 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:14:25 »
Knew we'd be ****ed when I saw the tolerances were enough to be the wrong spring. Sounds like Cherry made an expensive mistake in the past and made the tolerances so large on purpose. Oh well.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:24:58 »
Hi everyone!

TL;DR  (on top since is a long read) 
Cherry should provide the tests they did and the results MUST include the curve graphs measured on different switches of the batch, since the graph is actually part of the specs.  No actual proofs provided by cherry, except a pre-compiled paper.

Oh they want to play with specs, alright! (their response is a joke btw, it's a range of 40g of tolerance)
So their point is that they are in the -/+ 20cn for actuation so this switch respects the specs. Imho they are wrong.   

So assuming these are their SPECS of Silent Black: http://cherryamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/EN_CHERRY_MX_SILENT_BLACK.pdf

1) THE GRAPH OF THE CURVE, this is INSIDE the specifications file under the Operation characteristics attribute, it clearly shows around 80/90cn at bottomout so since this graph is in this file, the switch curve clearly has to respect that graph curve.
So even if they wrote -/+20cn for actuation, they didn't specified the rest of the curve, because the actuation is just a point, or said better a short segment on the line/curve, based on their specification the actuation has a range of travel of 1.2mm.
So they didn't specified any -/+20cn for the rest of the curve, so their switch can do -/+20 for the actuation range, but must respect the curve on the rest of the travel because is not specified otherwise (pre-actuation travel/after-actuation travel), so OUT OF SPECS.
I know this is illogical because this is a linear switch, but their specifications are not considering this case, since they want to play with the specification document, based on their specifications the curve is out of specs. 

2) Now let's assume point 1 is not valid for any reason (which i doubt) let's still talk about THE GRAPH OF THE CURVE, see this image:

Since this is a linear switch and since this is the graph on their spec-file, i can assume that by translating the curve of the graph by -20cn or by using the silent red graph, the switch keypress curve should be over that curve, but is not:

case 2A) MOVE THE CURVE OF -20cn: We just translate the curve at a -20cn  from the graph curve on the spec file. If we assume an Actuation of 40cn, the bottomout should be 70cn, which is around 71.4g ( in fact their curve shows around 92grams at bottomout).   
Many of us calculated the bottomout in poor ways yes, but our result was definetely lower than 71.4g for bottomout and i'm pretty sure that there is someone that can accurately calculate the bottomout of that switch (maybe Haata?).  Pretty sure the curve of our switch will be out of specs once you measure it correctly, even after taking into account the -20cn. 

case 2B) SILENT RED CURVE: Since you usually can't just translate the curve, let's take into account the silent red curve. I toke the silent red graph (which is probably the spring we have inside our blacks).  That switch bottomout is marked at around 65grams (63/64cn), so this is around 6/7 grams lower than the minimum that cherry can do on the silent black if they want respect their specs. 

So VicaryG you should ask for the result of the tests which MUST include the graph absolutely, the test they did must include the CURVE of our silent black switch, since again the curve is inside the specification graph.

Please correct me if you see something wrong, not your fault on this VicaryG, nothing you can do to directly to fix this clown fiesta between Arrow and Cherry, but at least try. 

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 16:09:49 by KaosJ »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #476 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 15:46:23 »
End of story then. Cherry claims that the switches are fine, customers think otherwise.
Personally I believe you handled the GB flawlessly and I would surely join the future ones if the goods are in my area of interest.

agree

spring tolerances are a joke, we knew this already
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kekstee

« Reply #477 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 17:26:23 »
+- 20cN is clearly just ass covering.

I mean just look at the springs, they even look more like MX Red ones. Nothing like the Silent Blacks I picked up from Cherry at a meetup or any Black I have seen in my life. On the other hand this was still a smooth gb and I don't care for heavy springs anyway.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #478 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 17:31:48 »
+- 20cN is clearly just ass covering.

I mean just look at the springs, they even look more like MX Red ones. Nothing like the Silent Blacks I picked up from Cherry at a meetup or any Black I have seen in my life. On the other hand this was still a smooth gb and I don't care for heavy springs anyway.

nah, most springs of this size have a tolerance of +-15-20g

at least as far as i've seen

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #479 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 19:03:36 »
Well, this sucks. Apart from receiving springs that are on the very fringes of the "specification" the springs and switches we received were quite horrible to begin with in my opinion, awful to use and listen without opening and lubing them ourselves (would rather have an honest clack than scratchy-pingy-rubby sounds). Not sure if that is normal or not, these are the first switches I have bought that sounded so awful out of the box.

Whether you are going to proceed towards a follow-up on their spring tests or not I do thank you for a well run GB, I needed a reason to try and swap springs on some switches in any case. ;D

Thanks!
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #480 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 07:15:12 »
is it just me, or is the tolerance range even higher than most Chinese switch manufacturers? I can't provide a source, but i could have sworn that outemu has a tolerance range of only +/-10g.  :confused:
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #481 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 07:56:13 »
Cherry real world tolerance is so strict that I was able to differentiate between silent, UNIQEY clipped and normal version of their switches.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #482 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:56:54 »
We should send some switches to haata, a great guy who does curve - force plots with super accuracy. He's in the USA. If someone lives in the USA and wants to do this, he can set up a paypal money collect link, to send haata some switches. I think that many would be happy to contribute one buck to the cause.

https://deskthority.net/haata-u71/
http://kiibohd.com/
https://plot.ly/~haata

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #483 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:59:37 »
We should send some switches to haata, a great guy who does curve - force plots with super accuracy. He's in the USA. If someone lives in the USA and wants to do this, he can set up a paypal money collect link, to send haata some switches. I think that many would be happy to contribute one buck to the cause.

Contact Haata and ask him if he is up to do it.  Maybe he already has these switches. 

If he doesn't have them and says yes without a half year wait, i'm pretty sure many people will be ok to send him for free, me included if no one from US
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:05:08 by KaosJ »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:00:13 »

Why? We know they're the wrong springs, but they're within spec, so there is nothing to gain apart.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #485 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:02:54 »

Why? We know they're the wrong springs, but they're within spec, so there is nothing to gain apart.

Sending Haata is more for science i guess. 
On a side note, I didn't saw any curve graph from Cherry and since both the actuation and the curve graph are in the specification file, cherry has to provide that. If what we measured is correct, the curve is out of spec (even considering the -20cn)   

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:23:16 »
I'm all for further investigation but don't put too many expectation in them. Cherry won't do anything about it.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #487 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:27:56 »
I'm all for further investigation but don't put too many expectation in them. Cherry won't do anything about it.

I agree, i don't have any expectation right now, but what they provided is a paper that doesn't even proofs that they did any test at all. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #488 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:30:38 »
is it just me, or is the tolerance range even higher than most Chinese switch manufacturers? I can't provide a source, but i could have sworn that outemu has a tolerance range of only +/-10g.  :confused:

tolerances for all the manufacturers i've been talking to is about the same

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #489 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:35:27 »

tolerances for all the manufacturers i've been talking to is about the same
Mm, okay. Even so.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline bearz42

« Reply #490 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 07:43:14 »
Ha it seems like I'm the only one that's actually excited about these switches. Just got my lube in and I picked up some SPRiT 68g springs to throw into them. I expect them to feel amazing.

While I know some people aren't pumped about the outcome of this GB, I definitley bought these switches to mod.

IMO, all cherry switches kind of suck when they're stock...

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #491 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 08:50:29 »
Ha it seems like I'm the only one that's actually excited about these switches. Just got my lube in and I picked up some SPRiT 68g springs to throw into them. I expect them to feel amazing.

While I know some people aren't pumped about the outcome of this GB, I definitley bought these switches to mod.

My experience with MX silent switches in general is that once you've opened the housing once, you should sticker them.

The switchtop loosens up a little bit from being opened, and has a little bit of vertical play once you assembled the whole thing together post-lubing, and actually creates kinda an unpleasant clack on the upstroke. Stickering or using switch film eliminates this.

Offline bearz42

« Reply #492 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 09:29:51 »

My experience with MX silent switches in general is that once you've opened the housing once, you should sticker them.

The switchtop loosens up a little bit from being opened, and has a little bit of vertical play once you assembled the whole thing together post-lubing, and actually creates kinda an unpleasant clack on the upstroke. Stickering or using switch film eliminates this.

Hm, that's really good to know.

Any recommendations on which one/where to buy?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #493 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 09:54:37 »

Which lube are you using? I have some super-lube I got from mechanicalkeyboards.com, but I've heard it's too thick and that it breaks down fast. I tried it on a few of these switches, and it does make them feel a bit gommy. I got 100g Sprit springs for mine.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #494 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 12:29:43 »

Hm, that's really good to know.

Any recommendations on which one/where to buy?

Taobao has a bunch of listing for stickers. Otherwise just get some switch films from Kin25

Offline bearz42

« Reply #495 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 14:01:22 »

Which lube are you using? I have some super-lube I got from mechanicalkeyboards.com, but I've heard it's too thick and that it breaks down fast. I tried it on a few of these switches, and it does make them feel a bit gommy. I got 100g Sprit springs for mine.

Oh we got the geekhack thick lube from zealpc to use. Hopefully it  works out alright. I think we're going to play around how much we use and if its not satisfactory then I'll try a different lube. We're putting the silent blacks in an iso kbd75 that my girlfriend wants to have.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #496 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 14:32:53 »

Oh we got the geekhack thick lube from zealpc to use. Hopefully it  works out alright. I think we're going to play around how much we use and if its not satisfactory then I'll try a different lube. We're putting the silent blacks in an iso kbd75 that my girlfriend wants to have.

IME a light oil works best for linear switches (Krytox VPF1514 is my personal fav for linears), however I have heard of people using thicker products for lubing linear switches. I would say just be sure to go with a very light coating of the Geekhacker's thick mix & it should work out fine.

Offline bearz42

« Reply #497 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 22:37:52 »

IME a light oil works best for linear switches (Krytox VPF1514 is my personal fav for linears), however I have heard of people using thicker products for lubing linear switches. I would say just be sure to go with a very light coating of the Geekhacker's thick mix & it should work out fine.

Hm, very good to know. I think that we'll end up experimenting soon with it so I'll let you know how it works out. If it's not up to snuff then I'll end up grabbing a thinner lube for sure. Have you had much experience lubing stabs? I got some dialectric grease for mine.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:25:16 »
Hello Everyone.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. Since this matter doesn't appear to have any way to be resolved short of legal action that may or may not have a chance in succeeding, I have decided to lock this thread.

If anyone would like to contact me they can do so via email: george@OpticBoards.com

Thank you for participating in this group buy. It has had ups and downs (mostly downs) I look forward to my next one.

Thanks,

George