Author Topic: [IC] CA66 Custom Keyboard (1/5 updated, GB sub form opened)  (Read 78888 times)

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
Re: [IC] CA66 Custom Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:23:05 »
That price is pretty much irresistible - is the international buy actually going to be a thing or do we need to go through taobao?

I'd pay a few extra dollars for the convenience of dealing with an English seller.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:48:08 »
Just checked out the Taobao site using translate. Does anyone the the difference between CA66 key and "Front door" version? And what the color kit does? Thanks!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:09:46 »
Just checked out the Taobao site using translate. Does anyone the the difference between CA66 key and "Front door" version? And what the color kit does? Thanks!

I assume "front door" means assembled since the opposing option is "kit", I'm just not sure how you pick the options (colour and then stabs/switches/etc if they are not included).

Offline BerserkZz

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:28:27 »

I assume "front door" means assembled since the opposing option is "kit", I'm just not sure how you pick the options (colour and then stabs/switches/etc if they are not included).

No, the front door is another version with a dedicated left ctrl. But that version won't come with the ca66 logo.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:29:55 »
No, the front door is another version with a dedicated left ctrl. But that version won't come with the ca66 logo.

Ah I see, thank you for clarifying that. Taobao is just too complicated as a foreigner, if no international GB happens I'll just pay superbuy to handle the transaction for me I guess.

Offline BerserkZz

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:34:03 »

Ah I see, thank you for clarifying that. Taobao is just too complicated as a foreigner, if no international GB happens I'll just pay superbuy to handle the transaction for me I guess.
Well, hope it will happen some day soon. Since lots of people are waiting for this.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:57:16 »
I hope that price estimation can come down a little more, that's just a tad more than I'd like to spend.

In SC I can believe it  :)), but i may spring for this.
I'd like to see it come down to at least $250, honestly.
300 is really not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 06:26:34 »
I hope that price estimation can come down a little more, that's just a tad more than I'd like to spend.

$250 is the price on Taobao right now.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.22.16eac8aU4m4e7&id=554507757989&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

This GB is available for China and Taiwan now.
I think anyone can buy it, but you'll have to understand full description written in Chinese.

This Round added some new options:
1. Brass plate
2. Titanium logo
3. Red and blue case as default colors

We are planning to set GB in GH as the final one, and the abundance of GH GB will be the most. (at least equal to round 2)
Those new three options addition is a test for a cost estimation. Like we don't even know what a brass plate cost currently.
So thanks for you guys keeping an eye on this IC. We are looking forward to do a good final version GB for GH. ;D

Offline ptiede

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 07:16:18 »

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.22.16eac8aU4m4e7&id=554507757989&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

I think anyone can buy it, but you'll have to understand full description written in Chinese.

1. Brass plate
2. Titanium logo

We are planning to set GB in GH as the final one, and the abundance of GH GB will be the most. (at least equal to round 2)
Those new three options addition is a test for a cost estimation. Like we don't even know what a brass plate cost currently.
So thanks for you guys keeping an eye on this IC. We are looking forward to do a good final version GB for GH. ;D

How long until the GH GB?

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 09:50:55 »

In SC I can believe it  :)) , but i may spring for this.

1. Brass plate
2. Titanium logo

Thanks for the info! And for the case if I want dark grey, do I have to select the "[size=78%]颜色自选[/size][/size][size=78%]" option?[/size]

Offline Calza

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 11:21:42 »
Can we get this without going through TaoBao?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 13:19:00 »
I'm in if you offer blue in the gh gb.
keyboards.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:00:22 »

At this time, no.  They are hopefully planning to run a group buy here on GH after this one on Taobao
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:02:13 by reececonrad »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:25:06 »

Awesome! Let us know when it is near launch if you could, it'd be nice to know a little bit in advance - I assume the plan is to have it start after the taobao China GB finishes?

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:45:36 »
I got shown this earlier by Calza, I am so down for this as long as I dont have to buy through Taobao...

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 21:33:33 »

At this time, no.  They are hopefully planning to run a group buy here on GH after this one on Taobao

Thanks for the help. ;D

In SC I can believe it  :)) , but i may spring for this.

1. Brass plate
2. Titanium logo

Thanks for the info! And for the case if I want dark grey, do I have to select the "[size=78%]颜色自选[/size][/size][size=78%]" option?[/size]

No you don't need to. Dark grey is a default color.

1. Brass plate
2. Titanium logo

How long until the GH GB?

Awesome! Let us know when it is near launch if you could, it'd be nice to know a little bit in advance - I assume the plan is to have it start after the taobao China GB finishes?

We are going to make an interest check form right after R2 in Taobao ends.

It will be focusing on:

1. price check
2. default case color options check
3. logo material options check
4. aluminum plate color options and brass plate option check
5. others if it's not mentioned above

After we clarify all the stuff, GB will start soon! ;D :p

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 19:36:03 »
I really dig this board. Any chance we'll have cerakote options?

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 21:09:45 »

Probably not. Since it's our first keyboard kit and we haven't find a good factory to make it.
We'll continue to design some great stuff and might going to let it be an option. :D

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 19:09:26 »

Probably not. Since it's our first keyboard kit and we haven't find a good factory to make it.
We'll continue to design some great stuff and might going to let it be an option. :D

Ah, okay, definitely still in for this. Looking forward to your future designs already!

Offline Marutks

Re: [IC] CA66 Custom Keyboard (10/31 Updated)
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 13:10:43 »
Switches are "upside down" on your PCB (south facing LEDs).  They are not compatible with thick cherry profile (GMK) keycaps.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 13:45:55 »
Switches are "upside down" on your PCB (south facing LEDs).  They are not compatible with thick cherry profile (GMK) keycaps.

Well ****. Though one of their pictures has gmk carbon, so maybe it's not as it seems?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:16:38 »

What you say here is a confusing.  The leds face north or towards the top of the board. But yes, this is indeed upside down.  I personally cannot stand GMK caps on upside down switches, but that’s just one man’s opinion.  And I still may try to get one and use a different profile keycap bc the board is unique

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:42:52 »
So inverted switches still work with gmk they just feel different/wrong? Either way it would probably be best to change this if possible.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 14:53:10 »
So inverted switches still work with gmk they just feel different/wrong? Either way it would probably be best to change this if possible.

This is a touchy topic and some people have firm opinions.  I firmly believe that upside down switches have issues with all cherry profile keycaps.  (SA, DSA, OEM have no such issue)

I have many keyboards with upside down switches and can tell you that every GMK set and ePBT set I have (7 in total) does not bottom out properly on the QWERTY and home rows.  The keycaps make contact with the switch before it bottoms out completely.  It has nothing to do with LEDs, it is the switch housing that makes contact.  The proper bottom of the switch falls off quickly.  However, the proper top plateaus out for longer.  When you turn that switch upside down, the keycap hits slightly.

It is much more noticeable with linear switches.  They do work, yes.  They will allow you to actuate the key.  And if you are not too picky about switch evenness across the board it will not bother you much.

Some people will deny this is a thing.  In my eyes, they are either numb in the fingers and hard of hearing, or there is some sort of cherry profile from before my sets were made that doesn't have the issue. 

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 21:20:46 »

Actually LEDs are north facing, as you can see the pic below.
181331-0

This is a touchy topic and some people have firm opinions.  I firmly believe that upside down switches have issues with all cherry profile keycaps.  (SA, DSA, OEM have no such issue)

I have many keyboards with upside down switches and can tell you that every GMK set and ePBT set I have (7 in total) does not bottom out properly on the QWERTY and home rows.  The keycaps make contact with the switch before it bottoms out completely.  It has nothing to do with LEDs, it is the switch housing that makes contact.  The proper bottom of the switch falls off quickly.  However, the proper top plateaus out for longer.  When you turn that switch upside down, the keycap hits slightly.

It is much more noticeable with linear switches.  They do work, yes.  They will allow you to actuate the key.  And if you are not too picky about switch evenness across the board it will not bother you much.

Some people will deny this is a thing.  In my eyes, they are either numb in the fingers and hard of hearing, or there is some sort of cherry profile from before my sets were made that doesn't have the issue. 

Thanks reececonrad for clearing things out, you are absolutely right. ;D

When you use Cherry profile keysets, you will have feeling of hitting the housing typing on QWER row.
You can get that touch especially when using an Enjoypbt set. Here is a pic for reference.
181333-1
GMK will be smoother, but still have a slightly feeling.

Offline energyd

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 21:24:50 »
Dark blue/navy color pls

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 21:42:47 »

Actually LEDs are north facing, as you can see the pic below.
(Attachment Link)

Thanks reececonrad for clearing things out, you are absolutely right. ;D

When you use Cherry profile keysets, you will have feeling of hitting the housing typing on QWER row.
You can get that touch especially when using an Enjoypbt set. Here is a pic for reference.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
GMK will be smoother, but still have a slightly feeling.

Is there a particular reason it was done this way? And is there any possibility of getting it changed for the gh groupbuy?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 21:48:12 »
Is there a particular reason it was done this way? And is there any possibility of getting it changed for the gh groupbuy?

If I'm understanding the situation correctly the LEDs in this will be North facing as seen in the picture posted by PlayKeyboardTW - the issues with cherry profile sets are experienced with South facing LEDs, the confusion was because someone thought that's the way they are on the CA66 but, as per the picture posted, that is not the case.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 21:52:38 »

If I'm understanding the situation correctly the LEDs in this will be North facing as seen in the picture posted by PlayKeyboardTW - the issues with cherry profile sets are experienced with South facing LEDs, the confusion was because someone thought that's the way they are on the CA66 but, as per the picture posted, that is not the case.

I think he just used to wrong direction originally. South facing leds is the normal way, so that wouldn't be the orientation that causes the problems. Issues arise when they're facing north (though it's apparently not the leds, but the housing that causes to problem)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 21:56:30 »
I think he just used to wrong direction originally. South facing leds is the normal way, so that wouldn't be the orientation that causes the problems. Issues arise when they're facing north (though it's apparently not the leds, but the housing that causes to problem)

Oh yea, my bad then, confusing subject for me since I've hardly ever even considered this kind of thing (I don't do LEDs on any of my builds). Unfortunate if that does limit certain users though despite me not having a problem with it.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 22:02:58 »
When switches are oriented with the led hole to the north/top, thick cherry profile caps can contact the switch housing. Unfortunately for me it's pretty much a deal breaker as I solely use thick cherry profile caps. No SA or uniform profiles for me.
keyboards.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 22:11:07 »
When switches are oriented with the led hole to the north/top, thick cherry profile caps can contact the switch housing. Unfortunately for me it's pretty much a deal breaker as I solely use thick cherry profile caps. No SA or uniform profiles for me.

Oh so even without the LEDs installed there are still clearance issues - live and learn I guess, thanks for bringing that to light (hurrhurr); shame, I'm weird and a DSA/XDA fan so not using GMK on this board is hardly a deal breaker but it does feel a little silly to sacrifice a whole profile like that.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 22:26:57 »

Oh so even without the LEDs installed there are still clearance issues - live and learn I guess, thanks for bringing that to light (hurrhurr); shame, I'm weird and a DSA/XDA fan so not using GMK on this board is hardly a deal breaker but it does feel a little silly to sacrifice a whole profile like that.

My thoughts exactly. I was originally planning on putting SA Lime on this, but I would still like the freedom change it up. Especially if there isn't really any reason to have it the other way.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 23:03:58 »

Why on earth switches have to be turned down?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 23:09:23 »

Would love to know this too. Can't think of a decent reason.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 23:15:20 »

Would love to know this too. Can't think of a decent reason.

well, i mean the main reason people started doing this was for shine through legends, I'm sure you know that.  But obviously close to no one buying this board is going to use such keycaps.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 23:28:48 »
I’m a little confused, can I confirm that with this pcb you have to orientate your switches with the Led facing north that will interfere with GMK and cherry profile caps, even if you don’t solder in the led? And there is no alternative or fix for this. Sorry for the noob question.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 23:32:31 »
I’m a little confused, can I confirm that with this pcb you have to orientate your switches with the Led facing north that will interfere with GMK and cherry profile caps, even if you don’t solder in the led? And there is no alternative or fix for this. Sorry for the noob question.

If the photo with switches installed is accurate.  This the only thing we don't know for sure, but it seems very likely this is the case.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 00:26:57 »
Thanks guys for comments.
I am designing an IC form to figure out what options will meet the taste of most people.

To my knowledge, if the PCB has south LED holes, you will have chance hitting LEDs typing on Cherry profile keycaps.
Both 3mm LEDs and 2x3x4 LEDs will be hit. 1.8mm LEDs seem to be the solution for avoiding that.

Anyway, we will do a investigation for CA66. Cheers. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 November 2017, 00:28:31 by PlayKeyboardTW »

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Re: [IC] CA66 Custom Keyboard (11/2 IC form added)
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 01:21:25 »
Hi guys. IC form is created. ;D
Link: https://goo.gl/forms/8Q0VLU0ir1xoDgTa2

Please help us to confirm details!  :D

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 01:47:58 »
Thanks guys for comments.
I am designing an IC form to figure out what options will meet the taste of most people.

To my knowledge, if the PCB has south LED holes, you will have chance hitting LEDs typing on Cherry profile keycaps.
Both 3mm LEDs and 2x3x4 LEDs will be hit. 1.8mm LEDs seem to be the solution for avoiding that.

Anyway, we will do a investigation for CA66. Cheers. :thumb:

You shave off LEDs so they don't interfere.
http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?document_srl=1941

PCBs with inverted switches are almost never done with customs.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 07:32:02 »

Thank you for considering our comments.  I appreciate it.  Normally turned switches would make
This board much more appealing to me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 November 2017, 07:52:51 by reececonrad »

Offline ptiede

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 07:35:00 »

Filled in! Really looking forward to this! I want the hhkb style layout so much!

Offline Marutks

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 07:57:26 »

yes, correct.  The only alternative is to use different keycaps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 November 2017, 09:32:51 by Marutks »

Offline koduh

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 08:50:08 »

If you are looking at changing the PCB are you willing to add ALPS support?

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 10:09:23 »

Yes plssssssss! And would like to have option to buy PCB only

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 10:17:06 »

Filled, thanks so much!

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 10:31:19 »

Filled it in! I am so hyped for this! :D

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 10:51:42 »
Alps support also means new plate. And hopefully separate plates as cutouts that support both MX and alps switches are absolutely horrible.
keyboards.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 11:23:42 »

Thank you for considering our comments.  I appreciate it.  Normally turned switches would make
This board much more appealing to me.

I myself prefer LED south facing PCB too.  ;D

Filled in! Really looking forward to this! I want the hhkb style layout so much!

Filled, thanks so much!

Filled it in! I am so hyped for this! :D

Thanks guys!  :thumb:

I am sorry to say no.  :-[

Yes plssssssss! And would like to have option to buy PCB only

That might be available.  ;)